A.K.A. Ai Sha 17
Angela Zhang as Xu Yizheng / Xu Yijing / Ah Cat
Julian Yang Shi Xuan as Lin Jiawei
Lu Ting Wei as Zhou Keqiang
Zhang Shan Jie as Zhou Kejie
Zhang Xu Chen as Zhong Yuwen
Wu Zhong Tian as Yang Renyou
Zhen Shu Hwa: Liang Ya Qien
Shu Qing Qing: Sha Ye Jia
Zhong Xin Yi: Xie Ai Lin/ Ah Sa
It all started when I discovered that Angela will be playing twins in her newest drama! I became a fan of hers after "At the Dolphin Bay" so I decided I should watch her in her two-role series. After watching, I discovered she not only had two, but three characters in the show. Although there were other dramas that focused on suspense, I must say that "Bump Off Lover 17" was very unique in its own way!
One evening before exams, while the class was having their remedial, Xu Yi Qing called her twin sister Xu Yi Zhen for help. On the way to rescue her little sister, she was pushed into the school pool. When she got out of the pool and rushed back to save her sister, she was too late. She found her little sister — dead! Yearning to discover the truth behind her sister's death, Yi Zhen secretly investigates on the case only to find out that for 17 years, she was living a life full of dark secrets….
Warning : SPOILERS
Angela Zhang as Xu Yi Zhen/Xu Yi Qing/ Ah Cat:
Xu Yi Zhen—Yi Zhen was the elder sister among the twins — pretty, smart, caring, and strong. It seems that she already has everything: a loving family, a caring lover, good grades and a bright future. In short, she was perfect! It wasn't until the death of her little sister that she discovers everything was a lie. Angela did a swell job as the heroine Yi Zhen. She was natural in her acting and although good, she was still a human. She gets mad, gets happy, gets hurt, gets sad. She was not the type who will just sit there helplessly and wait for someone else to do what she must.
Xu Yi Qing—Yi Qing was the little sister among the twins — beautiful, kind, innocent, and weak. That was how everyone sees Yi Qing — until her secrets were revealed after her death! Angela was so good as the 'angel' Yi Qing! Not knowing her dark side, you will surely fall for her sweet smile. She was perfect in delivering her lines, not to mention facial expressions, as both the good and bad Yi Qing. In my opinion, Yi Qing has the most powerful character among the three although Yi Zhen has more time onscreen.
Ah Cat — the true self of Xu Yi Qing. Living a life of hatred and anger, she created another character for herself. I must say that I was amazed at Angela's performance as Ah Cat. I always hoped for Angela to try having a villain role but I never expected it to be as 'dark' as Ah Cat. I must admit, Angela was a wonderful Ah Cat. She was so cruel and she was very good at it. She has the looks, the guts, and the charisma to play Ah Cat. Also, among the three, Ah Cat was the prettiest!
Angela's performance in this drama made me believe that Yi Zhen and Yi Qing were two different people played by two different actresses. Now regarding her superb performance, need I say more?
Julian Yang Shi Xuan as Lin Jia Wei - Jia Wei is Yi Zhen's lover. They were childhood friends and later on, developed feelings towards each other. Like Yi Zhen, Jia Wei was a good student — in fact, he was the class president. He was sweet and caring as a lover and at the same time, a thoughtful son. That was how everyone believes he is…little did they know that his father's death changed his life forever…Julian Yang Shi Xuan was my favourite in the entire show — from the time when he was still a perfect man up to the time of his complete transformation. He was so good yet he was so evil! But still, I cannot seem to hate him! Julian delivered his character very well, in fact, perfectly! I tend to see some similarities with him and TVB/ATV's Lawrence Yan Chi Keung in that although both are not very handsome, both were very good! You can't seem to hate both regardless of whether they are a hero or a villain. Now where was he all this time? The industry could definitely use a precious talent like Julian! More power!
Lu Ting Wei as Zhou Keqiang — Keqiang was a nobody! He was spending his life an outsider earning money by selling pirated CDs. But deep down, he is a sweet brother taking the parent role to his little brother Ke Qie. I must say that at first, I thought Keqiang was the main male lead. But it turned out he lacked screen time. Lu Ting Wei was ok as Keqiang, he was fairly likeable and he did not at all get on my nerves. However, I must say that his acting seemed a little raw and unnatural but this is forgivable for I believe this was his first series so he still has room for improvement. After a few more projects, I trust he will get better.
Zhang Shan Jie as Zhou Kejie - Like Yi Qing, Kejie was weak. He was always bullied by the 'gangster' students. He was always sad. It was only Yi Qing that gave him precious memories. That is why he chose to commit suicide rather than reveal her secret. For a newbie, (and he really does look like he was only in his teens, pretty sure he is much younger than Angela), Zhang Shan Jie was good! Even though he had minimal scenes, all were delivered naturally; his lines, the way he shouts, and the way his eyes talk…I personally did not find his character one of the best but his performance was quite awesome! If I am not mistaken, I believe he is the one who played the role of little Sheng and little Ling (Vic Zhou) in the drama "Mars".
Zhong Xin Yi: Xie Ai Lin/ Ah Sa—Yi Qing's best friend, who, like her, has a different personality during daytime and at night! Xie Ai Lin/ Ah Sa fell for Yi Qing's bait for her own game. Her character was so sad that in the end, she felt that she was alone in this world and thus lost control of her sanity. Zhong Xin Yi was ok in her performance. Acting was convincing and her character was believable. Even better than some of the older performers!
Shu Qing Qing: Sha Ye Jia - Like Keqiang, her character was ok but her acting is even rawer than that of Lu Ting Wei. But then again, newbies should be given second chances.
Zhen Shu Hwa: Liang Ya Qien — ok, now from all the adults, she is the one who should be given much importance to. This lady has so much character to offer in the show. She performs numerous roles entwined with multiple responsibilities: a mother, a wife, and a principal. What is common among her roles was that she was supposed to be strong in order to protect what was important to her. But she did not realize that she was overdoing it causing everything she protected to fall apart.Zhen Shu Hwa was really professional! She was perfect for the role. I cannot seem to fimd anyone in mind who can perform this role any better!
Xu Zhong Yen and Yu Mei Qing - Uggh! I strongly hate these 2 characters! Lustful creatures causing the root of all problems. Yet they did nothing to make up for their faults!
- Kejiang writing in his laptop how he wishes to die.
- Yi Qing taking Kejie to her secret place...
- Kejie jumping off the building remembering what Yi Qing said about being kissed by an angel…
- Kejiang and Yi Qing taking pictures making funny poses.
- Keqiang shouting for he failed to save Yi Qing.
- Keqiang telling Kejie not to be afraid for he will never leave him alone in the hands of the police.
- Jia Wei bluffing his mom about her fault of betraying his father. He was so natural in delivering his lines!
- Jia Wei destroying his mother's passport turning them into paper airplanes. He was so cute that he looked like a child!
- Jia Wei telling Yi Qing that he only saves people who are worth saving.
- Jia Wei at the point of death telling Yi Zhen he was sorry for pushing Yi Qing fo he love Yi zhen so much…
- The Principal crying and at the same time suffocating Yi Qing telling her that everything will be alright for she will get the old Yi Qing back.
- The Principal saying sorry to Yi Zhen for she chose to be together with Yi Qing on their 18th birthday! So touching!
- Yi Zhen telling Keqiang that he is the real sunshine and thanking him with a gentle kiss.
- The end scene wherein the twins were narrating their 17 years of life!
- "They say that if you have been kissed by an angel, you will have a pair of invisible wings. In times of fear, those wings of yours will spread open and will bring your own heaven." (Yi Qing to Kejie)
- "I once said 99 true words, no one believed me. I once said a single lie, everyone believed me. From then on, I realized that we are living a life full of lies." (Yi Qing to herself)
- "Love and betrayal co-exist. It doesn't mean that if you betrayed the one you love, you love him less. Nor does it mean that if you love someone, you will not betray him…" (Yi Qing to herself)"
- "Envy and admiration are the same. It's just that people believe that admiration sounds less evil…" (Yi Qing to herself while talking with Ah Sa)
- "I spent my life destroying other people's lives, little did I know that I destroyed my own life as well.." (Yi Qing to herself)
- "Look who's talking now! Am I the one who is freaky, or is it you, you who betrayed Father?" (Jia Wei to his mom)
- "You thought I was young and innocent, but I absorbed every word you said. But you did not notice, for like you, I was good at pretending…it was you who taught me to be that way!" (Yi Qing to the principal)
- "I only save those who are worth saving!" (Jia Wei to Yi Qing)
- "Forgive my being unfair, but I chose to spend your 18th birthday with Yi Qing" (The Principal to Yi Zhen)
- "Yi Zhen's laughter, Yi Qing's smile; Yi Zhen's rashness, Yi Qing's gentleness, Yi Zhen's fear of water, Yi Qing's asthma, Yi Zhen's discovery, Yi Qing's revenge, OUR 17 YEARS...
All in all, I give this drama a 5, if not, 6 stars! Based on how I got extremely affected and hooked on the show after being uninvolved for quite some time. I believe it was one of the best Taiwan dramas I've seen. It may appear a little similar with the K-drama "Green Rose" but this has much power and depth! Maybe I am a little biased for I seem to relate with "Bump Off Lover 17" more than "Green Rose" when it comes to certain personal events. The narrations made by Yi Qing every start of the chapter were precious! It's a pity some were too deep it was hard for me to understand without English subtitles….
The songs were also very good! All three were by Angela.
- "Gou Dai Te Tian Kong" was strong with emotions and at the same time, projects a suspense feeling.
- "Yin Xing Zhe Pang" was very suitable for the drama as its title says so: Invisible Wings. It is a song of hope in times of despair.
- The last one was mostly played in instruments only but it still fits the drama perfectly. The song with lyrics is included in Angela's latest album "Pandora"!
Hoping for more wholesome dramas like this! But I doubt it would be the same for like I said, "Bump Off Lover 17" is and will forever be unique and special in its own way!
Bu Bu Jing Xinstarring Cecilia Liu Shi Shi, Kevin Cheng, Nicky Wu, Yuan Hong
The New Adventure Of Chor Lau Heung (DVD, English subs)starring Miu Kiu Wai, Barbara Yung