Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: heroic legend of the yang family and the great general

Ah, I never realized it before, but the combination of the Yang Family and Justice Pao is an awesome idea b/c the Yang family is always being accused treason by some idiot, might as well get the best Judge to help them.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Default Zhong Po impersonator?

I read on the review that the first part of the Heroic Legend of the Yang Family that Zhong Po had came back from war, but it was not the real Zhong Po. His wife had a feeling that it wasn't her husband and they started fighting.
    I can't remember which episode that was in, and have a feeling I must have entirely missed it because I don't remember seeing that at all!
    Someone pls direct me to the right episode because I love the interaction btw ZP & his wife!!
    Thanks,
    -O

Quote Originally Posted by wildorchids View Post
    I read on the review that the first part of the Heroic Legend of the Yang Family that Zhong Po had came back from war, but it was not the real Zhong Po. His wife had a feeling that it wasn't her husband and they started fighting.
    I can't remember which episode that was in, and have a feeling I must have entirely missed it because I don't remember seeing that at all!
    Someone pls direct me to the right episode because I love the interaction btw ZP & his wife!!
    Thanks,
    -O
    I've seen this series a million times and there's no such storyline, they fight bc their son tried to assassinate Pang Long but failed and Zhong Po wanted to turn him in but Kwai Ying didn't want to so that's why they fought. No impersonator, where did you get that from?

Default Impostor

Quote Originally Posted by yufeihong View Post
    I've seen this series a million times and there's no such storyline, they fight bc their son tried to assassinate Pang Long but failed and Zhong Po wanted to turn him in but Kwai Ying didn't want to so that's why they fought. No impersonator, where did you get that from?
    I do remember them fighting because ZP wanted to turn in his son, and KY left, but I was referring to Sukting's review found here: http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=94
    "The fourth story is ‘The real and the imposter Zhong Bo’. Zhong Bo returns from war and is a changed man. Many think that Kwai Ying is mad to kill him. How could she not tell that he is not her husband since they are married for so long? She finally saves him from Tai See’s hands upon knowing that he is poisoned and imprisoned. I like this story as it shows the strong love between the couple. Both are injured but yet they try to shield each other from danger using their own bodies."

I don't remember seeing that...........

I do remember them fighting because ZP wanted to turn in his son, and KY left, but I was referring to Sukting's review found here: http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=94
    "The fourth story is ‘The real and the imposter Zhong Bo’. Zhong Bo returns from war and is a changed man. Many think that Kwai Ying is mad to kill him. How could she not tell that he is not her husband since they are married for so long? She finally saves him from Tai See’s hands upon knowing that he is poisoned and imprisoned. I like this story as it shows the strong love between the couple. Both are injured but yet they try to shield each other from danger using their own bodies."

I don't remember seeing that...........

I don't either, I remember the story as

1. 6th son dies at war, they come back trying to prove how they were wronged and got no help during the war. Introduction to ling-er and zhong bao's son characters.

2. Romance between Erica choi and lawrence yan, basically she was poisoned..

3. Son of 4th son comes back, almost gets executed, etc

4. king gets captured.... THE END

i don't remember any zhong po being poisoned, the only time he even left the song borders was to retrieve his father's ashes but the review mentioned he went to war? i dont even remember that!

Same here.
    I watched the one dubbed in Viet, so I thought maybe it was cut out!
    The only person "impersonated" was the useless King. LOL
    And if I'm not mistaken, the review said Lawrence & Erica didn't look at each other at the end of the series when they passed one another, but if I remember correctly, she was demoted to a peasant and when she was about to leave, Lawrence just happened to come by. They were both happy & surprised to see each other and ended up staring/gazing at each other for quite a long time LOL I wanted a happy ending so stopped right there. Maybe there's more? hehehe

Same here.
    I watched the one dubbed in Viet, so I thought maybe it was cut out!
    The only person "impersonated" was the useless King. LOL
    And if I'm not mistaken, the review said Lawrence & Erica didn't look at each other at the end of the series when they passed one another, but if I remember correctly, she was demoted to a peasant and when she was about to leave, Lawrence just happened to come by. They were both happy & surprised to see each other and ended up staring/gazing at each other for quite a long time LOL I wanted a happy ending so stopped right there. Maybe there's more? hehehe
    I think sukting's reviews are kind of off in regards to certain details, I'm reading her other review on Righteous Guards and the scenes are also off including the details and what happens to who and how it happens. It's probably the same case here. Lawrence and Erica didn't pass each other without looking, the last scene has time LOOKING at each other.. she was standing there and he was walking up the steps then she turned around and they stood there looking at one another smiling then the scene ended. Even if they were to cut out scenes I don't think they would cut out a whole segment like that. I guess when you haven't seen a serial for awhile and start writing a review you start to fabricate some details in your head or mix this and that with other serials. I'm reading this review of hers: http://www.spcnet.tv/taiwan_righteousguards2.shtml right now, the details and events are a bit off.

I think sukting's reviews are kind of off in regards to certain details, I'm reading her other review on Righteous Guards and the scenes are also off including the details and what happens to who and how it happens. It's probably the same case here. Lawrence and Erica didn't pass each other without looking, the last scene has time LOOKING at each other.. she was standing there and he was walking up the steps then she turned around and they stood there looking at one another smiling then the scene ended. Even if they were to cut out scenes I don't think they would cut out a whole segment like that. I guess when you haven't seen a serial for awhile and start writing a review you start to fabricate some details in your head or mix this and that with other serials. I'm reading this review of hers: http://www.spcnet.tv/taiwan_righteousguards2.shtml right now, the details and events are a bit off.
    Oh, Is that how it is? I read her reviews for ATV's Justice Pao series and I was wondering if I was watching the same series as she did. So hmm...this is strange...she should come and post in the forum and discuss this matter. I'm kind of curious of how she reached such conclusion. But you know, her reviews are pretty much plot summary with very little criticisms of the series, thats why her reviews are always SO long.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Oh, Is that how it is? I read her reviews for ATV's Justice Pao series and I was wondering if I was watching the same series as she did. So hmm...this is strange...she should come and post in the forum and discuss this matter. I'm kind of curious of how she reached such conclusion. But you know, her reviews are pretty much plot summary with very little criticisms of the series, thats why her reviews are always SO long.
    I've seen both series this and Righteous Guards dozens of times forward and backwards (both being my favs back in the days)... I highly doubt I could miss such details mentioned in her summaries each and every time I watch them.

I've read her JP reviews too but I didn't think anything of it bc the dvds released for JP dubbed in viet were heavily cut so I thought that was the reason why I didn't remember some of the scenes mentioned in her reviews.
    Last edited by yufeihong; 02-27-08 at 05:01 AM. Reason: add more details

I've seen both series this and Righteous Guards dozens of times forward and backwards (both being my favs back in the days)... I highly doubt I could miss such details mentioned in her summaries each and every time I watch them.

I've read her JP reviews too but I didn't think anything of it bc the dvds released for JP dubbed in viet were heavily cut so I thought that was the reason why I didn't remember some of the scenes mentioned in her reviews.
    The issue is not that it is cut, but she didn't mention some of the important scenes that actually did happen and she wrote some things that happened quite differently with what I saw. Same case as this series and JP reviews.

The issue is not that it is cut, but she didn't mention some of the important scenes that actually did happen and she wrote some things that happened quite differently with what I saw. Same case as this series and JP reviews.
    yea, I understand what you mean by happening differently. For JP cases I can't verify because I only briefly saw it, ff here and there.

Smile

I've seen part one, but could not get a hold part 2. According to the reviews, part two is even better than part one (and I thought part 1 is already pretty amazing). Since Erica's character was demoted to a peasant at the end of part 1, what happened to her and Lawrence in part 2? Also, did Joey Meng and Jackie Liu make a cute couple?

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I've seen part one, but could not get a hold part 2. According to the reviews, part two is even better than part one (and I thought part 1 is already pretty amazing). Since Erica's character was demoted to a peasant at the end of part 1, what happened to her and Lawrence in part 2? Also, did Joey Meng and Jackie Liu make a cute couple?
    No mention of Erica in part 2, Lawrence barely had any screen time in part 2. Joey Meng and Jackie were really cute together but joey's character was kind of annoying. They reminded me of Gilbert and Annie, one is a ruthless ruler (or wanna be ruler in Gilbert's case) and the other was a young cute maiden who wanted nothing more but to be with the man she loves. unlike Gilbert, jackie never would hurt Joey like he did Annie. Now if they could've casted jackie in part 2 of heroine of the yangs as the evil prince that would've been awesome since he played the same part in The Great General anyways. Now that I think about it, I think I prefer Jackie over Gilbert's character if we were to compare them and their love for annie/joey.

No mention of Erica in part 2, Lawrence barely had any screen time in part 2. Joey Meng and Jackie were really cute together but joey's character was kind of annoying. They reminded me of Gilbert and Annie, one is a ruthless ruler (or wanna be ruler in Gilbert's case) and the other was a young cute maiden who wanted nothing more but to be with the man she loves. unlike Gilbert, jackie never would hurt Joey like he did Annie. Now if they could've casted jackie in part 2 of heroine of the yangs as the evil prince that would've been awesome since he played the same part in The Great General anyways. Now that I think about it, I think I prefer Jackie over Gilbert's character if we were to compare them and their love for annie/joey.
    No! For me, I would have a hard time picking Jacky or Gilbert since I like both Jacky&Joey, and Gilbert&Annie pairings.

I wish they would've used the same Yeung Man Kwong actor for Heroine of the Yangs.

No! For me, I would have a hard time picking Jacky or Gilbert since I like both Jacky&Joey, and Gilbert&Annie pairings.

I wish they would've used the same Yeung Man Kwong actor for Heroine of the Yangs.

Yep, I have a hard time digesting females playing male roles. That's why I never watched White Snake Legend with Angie Chiu bc I can't imagine being able to feel anything for the couple knowing that Cecilia Yip is playing the "male lead." Sorry just can't do it, just like I can't watch any series dubbed in viet by Viet Thao (if you're viet and watch Van Son you'll know who I'm talking about). Big no no.

OT. But I'm getting really annoyed by Sukting's reviews. They're not even reviews. 90% of what she writes is like a retelling of everything that happens in the series and some parts are really inaccurate, I don't know where she pulls it out from. Then after her 100page summary of all that happened in the series, she talks about the actors/actresses' acting and other tidbit which should probably be the main focus of her review, instead she spends the large portion of the review rewriting everything that happened in the series. I don't call what she writes a review. A Review is suppose to be a criticism of the series, whether it is good or bad.
    I just happened to skim through what she wrote for the Black Sabre. Gah.

Anywhoo, rewatching Heroic Legend of the Yang Family will take longer to watch since I need to focus more on my homework. The last time I rewatch this was probably 1-2 years ago and already there are some details, I'm forgot and rewatching it feels like watching it after a long time of not watching it or watching it for the first time, how odd.

OT. But I'm getting really annoyed by Sukting's reviews. They're not even reviews. 90% of what she writes is like a retelling of everything that happens in the series and some parts are really inaccurate, I don't know where she pulls it out from. Then after her 100page summary of all that happened in the series, she talks about the actors/actresses' acting and other tidbit which should probably be the main focus of her review, instead she spends the large portion of the review rewriting everything that happened in the series. I don't call what she writes a review. A Review is suppose to be a criticism of the series, whether it is good or bad.
    I just happened to skim through what she wrote for the Black Sabre. Gah.

Anywhoo, rewatching Heroic Legend of the Yang Family will take longer to watch since I need to focus more on my homework. The last time I rewatch this was probably 1-2 years ago and already there are some details, I'm forgot and rewatching it feels like watching it after a long time of not watching it or watching it for the first time, how odd.
    LOL, yea that's true, when i was reading her review for Righteous Guards I just really wanted to read what she thought about the actors/story. It was just endless scrolling, I don't mind that much since I do like a refresher from time to time but I'd like a bit more on her thoughts about the series, by more I mean I lot more not just a few sentences here and there towards the end.

I suddenly had an urge to watch jackie and Joey onscreen again so..... just got The Great General to rewatch and next week is Spring Break so I'll have plenty of time to rewatch good old ATV series done right. Can't find these good series anymore, what's wrong with television stations these days. An average ATV or TVB series back in the early 90's is still better than the stuff they claim as good today. For example, DRIVE OF LIFE, I don't know what all the hype was about but that was one boring series no development at all. The problem was series produced nowadays is they think if they throw together some big names then the series will be good.
    Last edited by yufeihong; 03-01-08 at 10:47 PM.

If you are a joey and jackie fan of part II, you should watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByOJV05B66U
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

Smile

Interesting comment regarding preferring Jackie's love for Joey over Gilbert's love for Annie. Since I have not seen The Great General with Jackie/Joey, I cannot comment on their relationship in that series. Hearing how you describe Jackie's love for Joey makes me really, really wish I could watch The Great General. However, I do know that Gilbert loved Annie considerably in Heroine of the Yangs. In fact, there used to be an old Gilbert Lam thread in which someone hypothesized that he loved her so much that he considered her a fatal distraction to his ambitions of conquering the Central Plains. And therefore, in his convoluted logic, he reasoned to himself that he must kill her in order to free himself of this distraction. One might argue that Gilbert's love for Annie must be so great that he knew, deep in his heart, that he would relent and run away with her, throwing away his life-long vow to avenge his parents' death and reinstate his family as ruler. Now with that said, I don't think killing the girl you love is the best way to show the world that you love her deeply...

Anyway, please tell me more of Jackie and Joey's love story in The Great General. I just saw the MV at the link posted by MysticDust (thanks, MysticDust!), and they look so sweet together. Jackie doesn't seem evil at all in the MV. And I agree that he would have made a much better Sai Ha Prince than the guy they had in Heroine of the Yangs. By the way, in the MV, there's another woman who tries to kill Joey, but Jackie saves Joey in time. Who's that other woman and what was that scene in the MV all about? Why was the other woman trying to kill Joey and why did Jackie throw a spear at the door, near where Joey was standing?

Melanie,

If you must want spoilers then click

click to show/hide spoilers
    As I recall, the woman wanting to kill Joey is the wife of Jacky before he had amnesia. You just haven't seen the series, Jacky's true self, the Xi Xia King was considered ruthless; but when he lost his memory, he was a sweet guy who's only desire is to protect Joey and keep her happy. With Jacky's acting ability, it is comparable to Gilbert Lam's acting. Both awesome actors I approve!
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 03-04-08 at 05:30 AM.