Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Martial Arts

I have been a Bruce Lee fan since i was a little kid. I really wanted to learn wing chun but never got off my *** to actually learn it. After i watched Prodigal Son i wanted to learn it even more. I started a few months ago and i love it. Learning martial arts isn't about using it to kick somebody's ***. Just listening to my master explaining how the human body works and everything amazes me. It's art and i find it really fascinating
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

I've been practicing white crane kung fu and Japanese weaponary for about 11yrs now. Reason would be that both of my parents are martial artist so I was trained as well.
    Currently watching- War and Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by NYC1985
    Well according to the WTF you cant be one until 18.And according to the kukkiwon during that time,you dont have the physical capacity or mental responsibility to become a black belt during that time.And yep ive seen 12 year olds with black belts knowing damn well my little sister could kick their ***,i mean how can you be 12 with a black belt?You certainly dont have the skills or strength to fight off a grown man if you ever needed to.
    This is exactly why i quited taekwondo. Getting a higher rank belt is like taking candy from a baby. No effort at all man . My first day at the dojo, im pretty sure i can take out atleast 10 of the 18 black belt there. This is in the US by the way. i wish the teachers make it harder. In korea, they make it really tuff to advance to the next level right??

Member Of Huang Yi Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by MusicLuver
    This is exactly why i quited taekwondo. Getting a higher rank belt is like taking candy from a baby. No effort at all man . My first day at the dojo, im pretty sure i can take out atleast 10 of the 18 black belt there. This is in the US by the way. i wish the teachers make it harder. In korea, they make it really tuff to advance to the next level right??
    Man i was a fighter before being trained,and i feel those who truly LOVE combat were before they joined.Just having strength and honor,and fight until you are near death..I've fought alot of korean fighters(with the exception of my grand master) ,and the truth is most arent ready to die on the mat,and that made the difference to me,Because to me death at the hands of a surperior opponent is the ultimate honor.In korea they have more time to train as well so you pass through the belts faster than the US.Also Full contact karate and muay thai fighters ive seen decimate taekwondo combatants,are incredibly sturdy as well as MMA fighters,you are better off(if still interested in korean arts)doing tang soo do or han ki do(like aikido),or even hop ki do.
    Last edited by NYC1985; 01-14-05 at 03:29 AM.
    the meaning of life is irrelevant.....live what you love and love what you live. 38th Generation Ninjutsu Grandmaster Dr. Matsaaki Hatsumi

is martial arts really nessesary?

...just go to the gym ur body looks better too.

Quote Originally Posted by bearhug
    is martial arts really nessesary?

...just go to the gym ur body looks better too.

Martials arts isn't just for exercising, it helps discipline, finding inner strength, and whoop some arse. :

I did TKD, but i didn't like it as much. I want to try ninjitsu tho...
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

I play Tekken.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    Martials arts isn't just for exercising, it helps discipline, finding inner strength, and whoop some arse. :

lol exactly! I used to get into fights quite a bit in primary and high school so it made sense to learn how to fight a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar

The Bujinkan dojos are the official learning centers of Ninjutsu,the website is www.ninjutsu.com.
    the meaning of life is irrelevant.....live what you love and love what you live. 38th Generation Ninjutsu Grandmaster Dr. Matsaaki Hatsumi

The Bujinkan dojos are the official learning centers of Ninjutsu,the website is www.ninjutsu.com.

oh thanks... but i am more into the Ninja Turtle and Naruto Ninjitsu hehe

personally, i think that TKD only helped me get physicall stronger with more confidence. Beating up ppl is a whole different species. I know some ppl with TKD black bels that suck so bad. They got their black belt out of pity, maybe. I am pretty sure that some black belts in my class can not beat certain street fighters, if u know what i mean
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    Hi,

I practice MMA ( mixed martial arts ) like what you see on UFC , Pride etc.

It's a mixture of grappling and striking . do you all follow UFC and Pride ?
    I sure do, but more of Pride than UFC: better fighters in Pride. Do you check out K-1 too? I'd like to see Cung Le in K-1 myself.

BTW what do you practice? BJJ+MT or BJJ+boxing?

Yea i follow it,mma i think really is practiced by all martial artists simply its because it rare that one person only continues in one system throughout their entire life.But those who engage in UFC styles are effective in getting the job done quite well.

Yes and no. Most traditional martial arts aren't very well-rounded; many traditional teachers don't teach fighting, as they eschew full-contact sparring. These traits are often found in kung fu, especially internal arts that claim their attacks are too deadly for the ring... What MMA is all about is scientifically exploring all avenues of combat and being ready for all ranges of combat, such as grappling that most traditional martial arts are helpless against. It also helps that MMA has divorced itself from mysticism that's plagued traditional martial arts for centuries.

I've done little bit of everything. Some TKD, Greco-Roman wrestling, judo, Wingchun, Hapkido, Kempo, Taiji, boxing etc. I'd have to say I'm probably terrible in all of them, except maybe wrestling/judo and boxing. I've lost interest in seriously pursuing martial arts for self-defense after getting a gun pulled on me outside of a club and after getting jumped by friends of a guy I beat up in a fair fight. It seemed to be too much of a trouble for so little gain. Since then, it's been gym and callisthetics for health, and friends and avoiding trouble for self-defense.

I haven't lost interest in MA though. Rather, I've been looking at MA from more of academical/historical perspective, which has been helped by a friend who's really into it. I'm more of curious but he's fanatical on the subject and he's helped me understand many things about history, myth and practices.