Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Martial Arts

Default Martial Arts

Anyone here a practioner of martial arts? If so please include reasons why. I looked at the thread titles in this section and i just wondered why someone hadn't done this one earlier. I'll start off:

I first started martial arts with Wing Chun Kung Fu nearly 4 years ago when i was 15, but i rarely go anymore.
    Now once in while my dad drags me along to private lessons of tai chi (CMC style) since he's obssessed with it for the past few years. It is definitely good in many ways (and bad in my eyes) but i'm not really that much into it since i'm such an impatient and lazy type of person.

The reason i like martial arts is because there is often such diversity of knowledge in the realm of martial arts. It taught me things i would never have thought of about the human body and 3d dimensional space (could be that i was an unco hahaha)and it's helping me feel more and more secure with myself. I would have started much earlier in life because i was bullied a lot by racist kids but i was really embarrassed when my brother laughed his head off when i asked my mum to sign me up. It's funny how a few seconds affected my life so much, if he had walked past already i would be a very different person.

Enough rambling from me, i want to hear what other people have to say

Justin

Hi,

I started learning martial arts at the age of 13. My initial reason was to take revenge on a 16-year-old bully who once beat me up quite bad... Come to think about it, I should thank that guy (his name was Ricardo, if I remember correctly) for martial arts changed my life in a positive way.

I was a frail, weak child suffering from poor health. Through martial arts training my body grew strong. I started with Modern Wushu, which I did for a year. But I was not happy with the lack of depth in Modern Wushu, so I started to try out kickboxing, Taiji and other styles. At the age of 15, I met my Hung Gar teacher, who would become like a father to me (my father left our family when I was 5 years old). I practiced Hung Gar for many years and it gave me good basics, but I was still looking for a style which suits my taste. I later tried Wing Chun. It is a very effective style, but I didn't like it. It is too rigid and lacks flow, in my opinion. I then started cross-train Choy Li Fut and Hung Gar together. Choy Li Fut is a long-arm style, which I prefer for good foundation building. It is better to start with a Long Fist system like Choy Li Fut or Chang Quan, in my opinion. Once you are proficient in Long Fist you can learn short hand, but the other way around is much harder (like a Wing Chun stylist trying to learn Choy Li Fut).

In Beijing, I was lucky enough to meet a great master of Praying Mantis style. This is the style I was searching for! For talented martial artists, they are able to make the martial art work for them. But a mediocre person like me need to find a style which suits me. All styles are good, but in my case, Praying Mantis just feels right to me. It is the system which I will dedicate myself to and pursue for the rest of my life. I have been doing martial arts for 13 years (I'm 26 years old) but my true martial arts training has just begun. All the styles I did prior to Mantis was just preparation.

The reasons why I practice martial arts: it teaches me many things. Philosophy, body connection etc. It is really an art form with many facets and aspects for one to explore, many things you don't find in regular sports.

Everybody can become a martial arts practitioner, but few can become martial artists. I hope I can become a martial artist someday.

My 2 cents,

Lav
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

I took Tae Kwon Do for 4 years. GOt a black belt in it.. Tho at times i think it was harder to go on.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

haha cool, i often hear instructors about how young people often start with martial arts because of bullies these day. I guess because since people don't fight wars melee style anymore. My uncle who lives in hong kong, has a martial arts school teaching chow gar and taiji in Perth, Australia since he's a 20 or 30 something year veteran of both (I think his kids take care of the school now). For anyone in perth, you might want to check them out.

Out of curiosity, where are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    I took Tae Kwon Do for 4 years. GOt a black belt in it.. Tho at times i think it was harder to go on.
    I've never understood what a black belt is in taekwondo or karate (I've only tried chinese styles so far), does it mean you've mastered it in some way? :?
    Last edited by Subwaybrum; 11-18-04 at 09:41 PM.

Default To Justin

So, your uncle is Dr Wong Kit Po? I know of him, he's a well respected teacher of Chow Gar and Huang Shengxian Taiji. Why don't you learn from him or his students?

I am from Holland btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    So, your uncle is Dr Wong Kit Po? I know of him, he's a well respected teacher of Chow Gar and Huang Shengxian Taiji. Why don't you learn from him or his students?

I am from Holland btw.

he is in fact, you know your masters lol. I would learn from him, but he's in hk now teaching at a hk university and the fact i live in melbourne which is on the other side of the country.

Ah that's a shame.

But no worries, as long as you love martial arts, you will get good opportunities to learn eventually. Once you happento find the style which suits you, you will not be lazy to learn, I guess...

More reason to visit your uncle in HK!

Greetings,

Rene

Ah that's a shame.

But no worries, as long as you love martial arts, you will get good opportunities to learn eventually. Once you happento find the style which suits you, you will not be lazy to learn, I guess...

More reason to visit your uncle in HK!

Greetings,

Rene
    yeah i love hk (nice place to live unless you want somewhere spacious and quiet) and my dad always likes to practice with him when we go over there. My laziness is with things in general, not just martial arts. I'm a slob, i'll get over it later haha.

Justin, let's keep in touch. I would love to meet up with you in HK and visit your uncle. If we both happen to be in HK for holidays, that is...

Sure thing, hopefully i can go there within a year again. If only my mum would stop saying "we have no money". hahaha

Hi,

I started learning martial arts at the age of 13. My initial reason was to take revenge on a 16-year-old bully who once beat me up quite bad... Come to think about it, I should thank that guy (his name was Ricardo, if I remember correctly) for martial arts changed my life in a positive way.

I was a frail, weak child suffering from poor health. Through martial arts training my body grew strong. I started with Modern Wushu, which I did for a year. But I was not happy with the lack of depth in Modern Wushu, so I started to try out kickboxing, Taiji and other styles. At the age of 15, I met my Hung Gar teacher, who would become like a father to me (my father left our family when I was 5 years old). I practiced Hung Gar for many years and it gave me good basics, but I was still looking for a style which suits my taste. I later tried Wing Chun. It is a very effective style, but I didn't like it. It is too rigid and lacks flow, in my opinion. I then started cross-train Choy Li Fut and Hung Gar together. Choy Li Fut is a long-arm style, which I prefer for good foundation building. It is better to start with a Long Fist system like Choy Li Fut or Chang Quan, in my opinion. Once you are proficient in Long Fist you can learn short hand, but the other way around is much harder (like a Wing Chun stylist trying to learn Choy Li Fut).

In Beijing, I was lucky enough to meet a great master of Praying Mantis style. This is the style I was searching for! For talented martial artists, they are able to make the martial art work for them. But a mediocre person like me need to find a style which suits me. All styles are good, but in my case, Praying Mantis just feels right to me. It is the system which I will dedicate myself to and pursue for the rest of my life. I have been doing martial arts for 13 years (I'm 26 years old) but my true martial arts training has just begun. All the styles I did prior to Mantis was just preparation.

The reasons why I practice martial arts: it teaches me many things. Philosophy, body connection etc. It is really an art form with many facets and aspects for one to explore, many things you don't find in regular sports.

Everybody can become a martial arts practitioner, but few can become martial artists. I hope I can become a martial artist someday.

My 2 cents,

Lav
    I've been practicing and living martial arts since the age of 9,i started with tae kwon do under Grandmaster dong sup kim.I reached junior blackbelt by 15 (you cant be a blackbelt until 18)so i left and took up wing chun for 2 years,the style was very simple and effective but i wanted more.I started training in togakure ninjutsu at 17 and it has almost been 3 years i simply love it as the esoteric parts of the art are already coming alive to me(ill be 20 in two months).I started martial arts to channel the incredible amount of energy i was born with (i was born in the year of the ox),since i started so young ive been proficient in combat all my life,since i live in nyc i have to say martial arts have saved my life and brought me tremendous strength and happiness.Im currently on the path of the ninja, i hope some day that i will be able to attain the true understanding of returning to the "void" in all parts of my daily life.
    the meaning of life is irrelevant.....live what you love and love what you live. 38th Generation Ninjutsu Grandmaster Dr. Matsaaki Hatsumi

I've been practicing and living martial arts since the age of 9,i started with tae kwon do under Grandmaster dong sup kim.I reached junior blackbelt by 15 (you cant be a blackbelt until 18)
    REALLY? AHAHAHAHAHAA! I have seen numbers of 12 year old earning black belts.. hm... Sugar also got her black belt at age of 16 I thought.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    REALLY? AHAHAHAHAHAA! I have seen numbers of 12 year old earning black belts.. hm... Sugar also got her black belt at age of 16 I thought.
    Well according to the WTF you cant be one until 18.And according to the kukkiwon during that time,you dont have the physical capacity or mental responsibility to become a black belt during that time.And yep ive seen 12 year olds with black belts knowing damn well my little sister could kick their ***,i mean how can you be 12 with a black belt?You certainly dont have the skills or strength to fight off a grown man if you ever needed to.
    Last edited by NYC1985; 11-19-04 at 09:15 PM.
    the meaning of life is irrelevant.....live what you love and love what you live. 38th Generation Ninjutsu Grandmaster Dr. Matsaaki Hatsumi

Banned

Default MMA anyone ?

Hi,

I practice MMA ( mixed martial arts ) like what you see on UFC , Pride etc.

It's a mixture of grappling and striking . do you all follow UFC and Pride ?

I met a guy once who follows pride and that sort of stuff, but i don't know him well. Personally i've never seen any matches besides a few clips on the net. The only sport i like to watch is motorsport.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Subwaybrum
    I met a guy once who follows pride and that sort of stuff, but i don't know him well. Personally i've never seen any matches besides a few clips on the net. The only sport i like to watch is motorsport.

is he on spcnet ?

Unhappy

no sorry.

I do a little Tae Kwon Do and I'm going to try Tai Chi. I do it because it relaxes my mind and I'm not good at sports or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by rokko99
    Hi,

I practice MMA ( mixed martial arts ) like what you see on UFC , Pride etc.

It's a mixture of grappling and striking . do you all follow UFC and Pride ?
    Yea i follow it,mma i think really is practiced by all martial artists simply its because it rare that one person only continues in one system throughout their entire life.But those who engage in UFC styles are effective in getting the job done quite well.