Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anatomy of a wuxia fiction martial arts expert

Default Anatomy of a wuxia fiction martial arts expert

The premise of this post is a bit creepy, and I wish I'd come up with it a few weeks ago for Halloween. The medical doctors and medical students among us ought to have fun with this one.

Imagine that you're a forensic scientist trained in the latest modern methods of medicine, physiology, anatomy, biochemistry, and forensics. A time portal has delivered the corpse of a newly deceased (i.e. literally only a minute or so dead) wuxia martial arts expert (very high level...at least as good as the CONDOR HEROES TRILOGY Greats) to your laboratory. As a scientist and a wuxia fan, you're curious about whether there's anything physiologically different between a martial arts expert and an ordinary person.

You run a full regiment of physical, chemical, and radiological tests. You cut the body open and examine the skin, the musculature, the bones, the internal organs, and the vascular system. You run chemical tests on the blood, hormones, and enzymes. You conduct CAT-scans, ultrasound, and other radiological tests.

After a few weeks, what do you think you will have concluded? Will you have found any major difference between the body of a wuxia martial arts master and an ordinary person? Was there anything physiologically different about him that enabled him to perform his extraordinary martial arts feats?

Those with lots of Yang qi will likely have a big... I'm shutting up now for fear of being banned.

Other than that, if that person has big PC muscle, then it's likely that the person's way of cultivating inner power was through meditation. If the person has small PC muscle then the cultivation was done through hard physical training.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Those with lots of Yang qi will likely have a big... I'm shutting up now for fear of being banned.

Which is the REAL reason why wuxia heroes always had so many chicks after them.

Interesting....ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Which is the REAL reason why wuxia heroes always had so many chicks after them.
    So you're saying that Yang Guo is aggressive and unorthodox but immature, while Guo Jing is orthodox, neutral, longer lasting and mature? ZWJ would be orthodox, soft and indecisive? What about XF, DY, XZ? And what about the SM?

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Probably huge lungs like the horse Phar Lap, since they have to run after enemies or run from enemies all the time. Even with Qing Gong, you won't go far when you take short breaths or pant after long distances.

Huang Yao Shi would probably have a huge brain since he thinks a lot, with a lot of gyri and sulci.

GJ and Duan Yu are going test positive for many antibodies to toxins since they are anti-poison.

XLN's chem analysis if going to report her as malnutrition since she doesn't have a balanced diet, a lack of Vitamin D since she always keeps away from the sun.

XF, GJ and a few others are going to have gigantic biceps and triceps since they palm people most of the time.

I won't be surprised if I find some lobe missing on Zhu Er due to her psychotic behaviour.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

So you're saying that Yang Guo is aggressive and unorthodox but immature, while Guo Jing is orthodox, neutral, longer lasting and mature? ZWJ would be orthodox, soft and indecisive? What about XF, DY, XZ? And what about the SM?

I am guessing that Yang Guo was hard and overbearing.

Guo Jing is longer lasting and can unleash it in 13 ascending waves of power.

ZWJ would be extremely warm and rejuvenating.

XF would be 'The most extreme Yang under the Heavens!'

DY would be extremely draining on the other party.

XZ would be able to grasp the essense of all techniques.

SM would satisfy in 1 stroke!
    Last edited by CC; 11-19-04 at 07:36 AM.

Almost no difference at all. The body of the martial artist might be muscular and athletically built, but would not be any different from someone who engage in physical training like athletics or gymnastics regularly. The skin of the hands might be more dense due to conditioning, but no more than a regular person who engage in physical labour for a living like, for example, a blacksmith.

The only difference would be the Dantian. In Wuxia and traditional Chinese medicine, internal energy is stored in the region of cinnabar "dantian" field (approximately 3 to 5 cm below the navel, inside the body). This area of the martial artist' body is much mroe developed than a regular person. The tissue of the martial artist' Dantian would look like a big balloon, while in the case of a normal person there's almost nothing there at all.
    ¹ï ¼Ä ¶· ¬½ ¡A ±Ù ¯ó °£ ®Ú ¡A ¨k ¤k ¦Ñ ¥® ¡A ¤£ ¯d ¤@ ¤H

RE CC: ROFLMAO!

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I am guessing that Yang Guo was hard and overbearing.

Guo Jing is longer lasting and can unleash it in 13 ascending waves of power.

ZWJ would be extremely warm and rejuvenating.

ROFL The DY's one really surprises me though I think we should continue this "analysis"

- SPT would go crazily at it as if he were in a trance, and remembered nothing about it aftewards.

- CJL would leave it to his brother.

- HF would be distracted by the thought of killing the other party's father....Nah this one is crap. Anyone helps me with this?

... What about the original 5 Greats?

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Almost no difference at all. The body of the martial artist might be muscular and athletically built, but would not be any different from someone who engage in physical training like athletics or gymnastics regularly. The skin of the hands might be more dense due to conditioning, but no more than a regular person who engage in physical labour for a living like, for example, a blacksmith.

The only difference would be the Dantian. In Wuxia and traditional Chinese medicine, internal energy is stored in the region of cinnabar "dantian" field (approximately 3 to 5 cm below the navel, inside the body). This area of the martial artist' body is much mroe developed than a regular person. The tissue of the martial artist' Dantian would look like a big balloon, while in the case of a normal person there's almost nothing there at all.
    I don't think the kung fu masters who look like mutants, but I think there would be some skeletal differences from the "normal" average joe. JY makes some references to knowing a person knows kung fu by looking at his skeletal built - I can't think of any specific examples now. Also, the temples are supposed to swell or something when someone practices one of the kung fus. I forget which novel that is from.

The dantian sounds like the prostate haha. Fat people must know good kung fu hehe cuz...
    This account is retired.

... What about the original 5 Greats?
    Not easy for those 5. Hmmm

H7G likes to enjoy with his mouth.

Yi Deng prefers 1 finger.

The Gong Nam 7 Freaks like to do it together.

DGKB can't get satisfaction.

Fang Zheng doesn't allow sucking.
    Last edited by CC; 11-20-04 at 12:36 AM.

With Kiu Fung, Ling Wu Chung, Wu Teet Fa (from Gu Long's CHOR LAU HEUNG) and others, you could probably expect significant liver damage, perhaps even cirrhosis, considering the prodigious amount of alcohol each of them consumed.

Ling Wu Chung would be a project on physical trauma all by himself. The guy endured all kinds of puncture and impact wounds as well as multiple poisonings during STATE OF DIVINITY. A forensics scientist could probably write a book on martial arts-related injuries just from studying Ling Wu Chung's corpse alone.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    I don't think the kung fu masters who look like mutants, but I think there would be some skeletal differences from the "normal" average joe. JY makes some references to knowing a person knows kung fu by looking at his skeletal built - I can't think of any specific examples now. Also, the temples are supposed to swell or something when someone practices one of the kung fus. I forget which novel that is from.

The dantian sounds like the prostate haha. Fat people must know good kung fu hehe cuz...
    I am not very sure about this, I heard birds/dinosaur have like hollow bones that they can breathe through their bones. Maybe they know internal energy

hahaha funny stuff

H7G would leave halfway through to find food
    WCY would get exhausted and die after going strong for many days
    LHC would be all technique but no energy
    MRB would disappear for 30 years afterwards
    HYS likes to 'crppple' you
    DGQB would be formless and unpredictable
    Sweeper would bring you to the brink of 'heaven'(death), then bring you back
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    With Kiu Fung, Ling Wu Chung, Wu Teet Fa (from Gu Long's CHOR LAU HEUNG) and others, you could probably expect significant liver damage, perhaps even cirrhosis, considering the prodigious amount of alcohol each of them consumed.
    Maybe not. Their high level chi would probably cure those probelms. Kinda like hos high level qi gong is supposed to fix most health probelms
    Last edited by Ken Cheng; 11-20-04 at 12:31 AM.

LHC will still be interesting. Can a dissection reveal the meridians in the body?

In any case, LHC is a practicioner of YJJ, his tendons may be different.

Quote Originally Posted by JigSta
    hahaha funny stuff
    DGQB would be formless and unpredictable
    Nah DGQB is a complex character.

In his younger days, he would be like that, formless and unpredictable.

When he's middle-aged, he would be going for the heavy thrust and blast instead of fanciful techniques. "Simplicity overcomes complexity", remember?

The old DGQB would be using no "sword" as if he actually got a "sword".

sorry guys, coudln't find the old thread on the physicially strongest people in Jin Yong's universe so I would kind of use this one - still kind of relevant I guess.

Did Yang Guo become a really buff guy towards the end of ROCH (like Kiu Fung or Yan Nan Tian) considering his trainign was practically lifting massive weights day in and day out.

XF’s can execute the ‘angry dragon method’.

DY’s ‘sword’ is more suited for dribbling, so he says.

XZ’s will never wear out.

LHC would be all technique but no energy
    LHC’s got a history of impotency.

Sweeper’s brings a whole new meaning to quickies.