Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Legend of the General Who Never Was?

Default The Legend of the General Who Never Was?

Has anyone seen this series? I know this was Sheren Tang's first series, so I am mighty curious as to how much she has changed from her first gig. Also, I heard that another one of my favorite actresses, Mandy Wong Man Yee was in it as well. Can someone tell me who else was in it and what it was about? THANX

hi hi

i've never watced the movie, but i heard it's a prequel to the more recent movie lady fan.

I am not sure whether it was Sherent Tang's first series or not. I suppose her first series should be HSDS 86. My memory towards this series was quite vague since I watched it for a long time and never rewatched it again. It is a prequel to what we have known today as "Lady Fan". However, more precisely, it is a prequel to Sit Ting San which TVB produced around that time with Felix Wong and the girl (I forgot her name). There was also one sequel which told the story of "Sit Kong", a son of Sit Ting San.

I saw this series many times and yes it is the presequal to Sit Ding san starring Felix Wong and Money Chan. I think this was Sheren's first series ever, but am not 100% sure. She did a good job if this was her first series. Anyway, other cast that are in here include:
    -Alex Man- who plays Xue Ren Gui(the lead)
    -Liu Kai Chee(Money Chan's husband in real life)-Zhou Qing
    -Zhu Tie He-plays Gai Xiu Yun
    -Mandy Wong Man Yee- plays the evil villianess Yu Yan Ying who is also Gai Xiu Yun's wife. She is really evil and plays the role really well.. (IN the novel, her name is actually Mei Yue Ying and yes there is a novel for this. My mom has read it and said it is really good).
    and many other stars... This series was pretty good overall, even though it didn't follow the novel all the way.

It is set during the Tang dynasty during Li Shi Min's reign as king. It all starts out with Li Shi Min having a dream of a warrior dressed in white. Li Shi Min is chased by all of these demons, but the warrior in white comes and kills all of these demons and saves him. Siu Mu Kong(who is the Jun Shi) tells him all about the meaning of this dreams and tells him that Xue Ren Gui will one day become one of his generals and helps him fight off foreign forces. Li Shi Min then tries to search for him..... But a lot of things happen to Xue Ren Gui before the king finally discovers who he is... and he goes through a lot to become a powerful warrior and become the general that he never was..... he falls in love with Liu Jin Hua(Sheren's character) while he works at her home as a servant.... Many things happen. You really should see this series.... Mandy Wong does a great job in here as well. If you have any particular questions just ask me ok?
    Last edited by Trinie; 11-23-04 at 06:44 AM.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Trinie! Whoa, I didn't know Money Chan is married to Liu Kai Chi(Chee)! That's surprising news to me. He always plays older roles now than his roles in the 80s where he was the prince in The Grand Canal and one of Cheung Mo Gei's uncles in HSDS86. BTW, do you happen to know the names of all the actors who were the Mo Dong 7 heroes in HSDS86?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Hi Suet Sueng, Yea Liu Kai Chee and Money Chan have been married since the 80s. They have 3 children together, but recently I heard their youngest son has a blood disease. I felt so sad to hear that.... They were afraid that they will lose him. I wonder what happened since I didn't hear about the result. Well, of course it makes sense to play younger roles when you are young and older roles when you are older. Like ANgie Chiu(who is one of my most favorites of all time) used to play young roles, but plays motherly roles now.I have a book that lists all of their names but I don't have it with me, so I don't remember all of their names. I only remember some of them. The ones that I remember are:
    -the first kung fu uncle is Wong Ying Choi
    -the second one I don't remember and will need to look it up
    -the third one is Liu Kai Chee
    -the fourth one I don't remember either, he is still acting these days
    -5th is Simon Yam
    -6th is Tai Chi Wai
    -7th is Lee Chai Shu(I think I spelled it wrong..sorry)

I basically remember them all except for #4 and #2. I wonder if other people remember??? Hope that helps!
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    Hi Suet Sueng, Yea Liu Kai Chee and Money Chan have been married since the 80s. They have 3 children together, but recently I heard their youngest son has a blood disease. I felt so sad to hear that.... They were afraid that they will lose him. I wonder what happened since I didn't hear about the result. Well, of course it makes sense to play younger roles when you are young and older roles when you are older. Like ANgie Chiu(who is one of my most favorites of all time) used to play young roles, but plays motherly roles now.I have a book that lists all of their names but I don't have it with me, so I don't remember all of their names. I only remember some of them. The ones that I remember are:
    -5th is Simon Yam
    -6th is Tai Chi Wai

I basically remember them all except for #4 and #2. I wonder if other people remember??? Hope that helps!
    Oh Thanks Trinie, Well of course you play young roles while your young and old roles when you're old. But I don't think I've seen him much of his earlier series. Anyway, do you know where I can find a picture of LKC and Money Chan? I never knew they were married to each other...I guess the marriages of Jamie Chik and Milky Way, Adam Cheng and Eve, Felix and his wife just kind of overshadows...and so LKC's marriage gets less talk?

How old is LKC? He still look very young when he starred in Justice Pao 1-2 (1995). Is he still acting?

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Wow thanx Trinie for the info.
    So question, how evil IS Mandy's role? Like how does she tie in with the whole plot?
    It really sucks that TVB had stuck her with another villain role...she doesn't look that evil haha

Oh the 4th uncle in HSDS is called Ai Wai, he played Sheren's husband in that swimming series with Bobo Chan as their kid. That man is hilarious ^____^

LKC should be about 40-something right?

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung

How old is LKC? He still look very young when he starred in Justice Pao 1-2 (1995). Is he still acting?
    Liu Kai Chi is still acting these days but it seems as though he has focused more into movies include recent hits like Infernal Affairs 2. otherwise, he is still dealing with his son's leukemia. btw, I have found a video file of Money Chan's confession in a church somewhere in Hong Kong where she talks extensively about her Christian faith and her son.

I think LKC should be near if not over 50

and Sheren Tang's debut was made in this series...she said in an interview from a year or two ago that when she read the bad reviews she got for her performance in 'the General..' when she was young ,she was rather hurt because she thought she'd done an ok job.

But a few days ago, when she received the TVB award for Favourite Extraordinary Ability Actress Award for her role in War and Beauty, she commented something to the effect that her debut in 'the General who never was' left much to be desired and that she couldn't convey feelings to the audience, ie. her acting was wooden. So as an actress, she has made significant steps in improving her performances. I for one am glad that maturing actors and actresses in HK are finally getting the recognition they deserve

No doubt, Sheren Tang's acting skill is impressive and I guess from the time when she acted in The General...until the time when she played ZZR in HSDS86, her acting skills was improved very much within quite a short time. Not many actresses can do this.

To Suet Seung,
    Liu Kai CHi was born in 1962 so he is 42 now. Yea, he and Money have been married for a long time. I don't remember the link where their pictures can be found. Let me look for it and let you know ok? They were in the Legend of Book and sword together. YEa, his marriage is overshadowed by other more famous stars. He is still acting a lot since he needs to support his family. Money is working as insurance broker but had to stop and take care of her ill son. They have 3 sons together.... YOu should see more of his older series. I like him in Heir to the throne with Andy. They are soooo cute as friends. He was the heir of the throne. Liu Kai Chi is not 50 or near 50 yet.

To cmu_wasabi, You are welcome!Mandy is really evil in here! SHe sucks people's blood and is the main villian along with her husband. She looks evil in here too. She and her husband wanted some powers and a kung fu manual, but Alex Man got it by luck so they were really mad. They then became enemies and always chased Alex wanting to kill him and get the kung fu manual back. At the end, Mandy has a battle with Alex and his friends. She then gets blown to shreds..DId you see Mandy in the YOung Wanderer? SHe only played a short role at the beginning but was kind of funny...

Thanks for the new Tinlunlau! Did you know if their son is getting better?? I heard they are really religious and are praying hard for their son.

I remember seeing this when I was lil and liking it alot. Alex Man is the man. It was both funny and exciting watching it.

It got really sad in the end though *SPOILERS* Sit Yun Gwai comes home and accidently shot his own son, whole family yells out his name at the river. And it ends.

And wasn't Michael To Dai Yu a villain, son of the bad official?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    -5th is Simon Yam
    -6th is Tai Chi Wai
    In cantonese the name of the actor who played 1st uncle is Wong Wan Choi. This character "允" is pronounced as 'wan' in cantonese.
    I think the name of the actor who played the 4th uncle is Ai Wai.

TO Kidd, Thanks for the correction. I do know his name but typed the wrong word. Sorry....

HA?? LKC is only 42?? and i thought he was older than actors like Andy Lau and slightly older than Mui Kui Wai too.

Skinee Panda : yes, i remember Michael To in the role of one of the bad guys, think his name was Ho Jun Hin, nephew of a high ranking corrupt official

To Trinie: Woah that is evil...thanx for the info. I was trying to download Young Wanderers before my Thanksgiving break, but there were no seeds. Guess I would have to wait until TVB decides to release the VCDs. The series is with Felix Wong right?

Quote Originally Posted by cmu_wasabi
    To Trinie: Woah that is evil...thanx for the info. I was trying to download Young Wanderers before my Thanksgiving break, but there were no seeds. Guess I would have to wait until TVB decides to release the VCDs. The series is with Felix Wong right?
    Felix Wong was in the sequel, "General Father General Son", aka Sit Ding Son.

To Trinie: Thanks for the information! Yeah I've seen Heir to the Throne before, I was too young to remember much about it. But I do remember Yammie, Andy and LKC. LKC was the real prince but Andy pretended to be the prince. Andy was really handsome then.

LKC was always a loveable teddy bear in his older series. Oh I think I saw him in that series with Irene Wan, LKC played a hunchback character and Irene Wan was married to him but didn't really like him and wanted to be Simon's concubine. Kenix Kwok and Patrick Tam was in this series too. Forgot the english title...

I think LKC is a really cool actor. Him and Chun Wong, Wong Wai, Law Lok Lam, and that other guy forgot his name...really makes some series more memorable and stuff...

To Suet Seung, You are welcome!! I saw Heir to throne is when I was a kid too. But just re-watched it recently. It is out on VCD now... I hate it when they cut out scenes though. Well, Andy didn't pretend to be the prince. People just thought that he was at first since he and Liu kai Chi had the same birthday.

The series you are talking is Gentle Reflections, the story about Fan Gum Lian. I didn't watch that but heard about it and saw pix of it. I read the novel in my Chinese class about Wu Song too.

Liu Kai Chi is a good supporting actor. He is still in a lot of series these days. Some that I remember are:
    -The remake of Flying Fox 99(he played Bing Ah Zi, really sad character).
    -The battle against evil-he played a funny Taoist
    -Virtues of harmony(the ancient one)- he plays one of the main eunuchs
    and many others...

To cmu_wasabi, You are welcome!! I am glad that I was able to help you. Yea, Mandy is really evil in this series. Yea, YOung Wanderer is the one with Felix. I LOVe that series. Carina Lau is the female lead. Mandy is only in it at the beginning though. She is actually kind of funny at the beginning with Felix though. She plays one of the actresses in an opera, but it was all part of a plan to steal the corrupt official's money. She pretended to be a ghost and gosh was it funny... During her last scene, Paul Chun had her and the guys that were with her stuck in a trap while Felix and him ran for it. It is really funny!!!

To Charlie Boy, Yea Liu Kai Chi is the same age as Tony Leung so he is only 1 year younger then Andy lau. Miu Kiu Wai was born in 1958, so he is older than Liu Kai Chi too. Yea, Micheal Tao did play Ho Jun Hin and is the son in law of the corrupt official. He is married to his oldest daughter. They both get beheaded towards the end....