Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Little Sword of the Third Master -Gu Long (Translation)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley
    Wow, a new chapter! I thought you were leaving already.

The good thing about you (on top of your speed) is that you do not give us false hope. It's nice to get a pleasant surprise chapter like this.

Some people are CONSTANTLY saying I'm gonna translate this, I'm gonna translate that, and when they don't deliver it's annoying as hell.

I can understand if a person does not give the reader any expectations at all and stops translating forever. But giving people false hope is not necessary. Once is OK with me, but some do it over and over again and never deliver.
    Please remember that translators in this forum are doing the translations voluntarily. They don't get paid for sitting in front of the computer, poring over the novels and trying to translate from one language to another. Also, they have other things to do than translate 24/7. They're not obligated to translate, much less translate for YOU. Do you realise how difficult it is to translate a literary work? Do you think it's easy? Do you realise how much work these people put in? If you don't, or can't begin to comprehend, please don't belittle the efforts of the translators.

And as Jaded WenEr pointed out, if the slow pace bothers you, stop moaning and go learn Chinese.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by rikku
    I wonder what the conection is between Ah Cat and Yen Thap Tam.. maybe they are the same people.. thanks so much Kara for translating..
    SPOILERS! READ AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION!

Hmmm I thought it was pretty obvious from Chapter 10 who Ah Ji is. =)

And no, its not Yan Shisan. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    Don't get mad, I don't think Wellesley means you

I think he meant Trini, since three years she said she wants to translate, but she always finds an excuse not to begin with it, I think she wouldn't ever translate anything in her life.
    Uh ... I wasn't refering to myself nor Trini, I was refering to a general attitude some readers have towards the translators in general.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    Don't get mad, I don't think Wellesley means you

I think he meant Trini, since three years she said she wants to translate, but she always finds an excuse not to begin with it, I think she wouldn't ever translate anything in her life.
    Bingo!

Some people jump to conclusions (and/or put words in my mouth) very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Wellesley
    Bingo!

Some people jump to conclusions (and/or put words in my mouth) very quickly.
    Ok, read my post above. I was refering to a general attitude that a lot of readers have towards translators on the forum in general. Nowhere did I say that you implied me nor anyone else in specific.

Maybe crash-course in carefully reading English would help, too.
    My love and my agony.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr
    Ok, read my post above. I was refering to a general attitude that a lot of readers have towards translators on the forum in general. Nowhere did I say that you implied me nor anyone else in specific.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded WenEr
    You know, personally, I'm just grateful that the translators actually try to translate, even if their pace is a bit slow. I mean, face it, most of the translators have college and university, so it's not fair to say that they're giving "false hope" because they pause during their translations.

Besides, if it bothers you that much, go learn Chinese and read it yourself.
    You said that their pace was slow. I have never criticized anyone's speed. Furthermore, I have not asked anything from anyone, I read and give feedback when I like someone's work. I even said that I could understand if someone took a pause forever.

posted by meI can understand if a person does not give the reader any expectations at all and stops translating forever. But giving people false hope is not necessary. Once is OK with me, but some do it over and over again and never deliver.
    Obviously, you didn't understand what I wrote in the 1st place. False hope means to say that you will do one thing and do not deliver. Before you twist my words again, reread my previous quote and note that I said that it was understandable if someone doesn't keep their word once - life is full of surprises.

Maybe crash-course in carefully reading English would help, too.
    Perhaps you should preach by example
    Last edited by Wellesley; 12-03-04 at 12:31 AM.

Hi!

Noodles has sent me the missing part in chapter two! YAY!!!!!!! THank you thank you thank you thank you to Noodles! He also translated that line at the beginning of chapter one! Wow! His translating skills are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than mine. Seriously. So we should all thank him for upping the quality of this translation and making it complete. Thank you!!!!!!

Anyways, i'm on holidays so even if i have the facilities to translate i won't have the time. Therefore, see you all in two months!

Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    Hi!

Noodles has sent me the missing part in chapter two! YAY!!!!!!! THank you thank you thank you thank you to Noodles! He also translated that line at the beginning of chapter one! Wow! His translating skills are waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy better than mine. Seriously. So we should all thank him for upping the quality of this translation and making it complete. Thank you!!!!!!

Anyways, i'm on holidays so even if i have the facilities to translate i won't have the time. Therefore, see you all in two months!
    Oh yeah, you know how you were saying before about the title not changing for the topic? PM Noodles ... he'll change it, and you can also get him to post the link for your translation in the Guideline thing.
    My love and my agony.

Default Revised Chapter 1

Chapter One: One Sword Pierces Heart
    Orginal Translation by Kara

Sword aura roams for 30 000 li
    Light of a sword sends shivers throughout 19 provinces

Late autumn.
    Wind swept leaves under the setting sun. Among the wind swept leaves, a figure seems to be one with the earth. He is too quiet and the earth is too cold.

Weariness and loneliness that seeped through every bone of his body carried an unimaginable killing aura. He was weary probably because he had already killed too many people, some whom he originally should not kill. He killed only because he never have a choice.

His hand held a sword.
    A longsword in black crocodile skin sheath. Golden sheath mouth set with thirteen large pearls. In jiang hu (martial world), few did not know this sword and few did not know this figure.

Since 17, the figure and sword had made a name for themselves. He was now near middle age and could no longer put down this sword. Others would also not permit him to do so. When he put down his sword, his life will come to an end. Fame at times is like a piece of luggage, a piece of luggage that can never be put down.

"Late Evening, 19th of the nineth month.
    Beside the ancient road outside Luoyang, under the anicent tree.
    Wash your throat and bring your sword."

Late evening.
    Autumn leaves flutter in the wind.

On the ancient road, a person approached in big strides. His clothes were exquisite, his face pale and his sword tucked behind his shoulder. Dagger-like pupils staring at the sword under the tree. His steps were steady and he walked very fast, stopping only about seven feet away from the figure under the tree.

“Yan ShiShan(Yan the Thirteen)?” He suddenly asked.

“Yes.”

“Is your [Seizing Lives 13 Swordplay] really invincible?”

“Not necessarily.”

The person laughed mockingly. “I am Gao Tong, One Sword Pierces Heart Gao Tong”

“I know.”

“Did you ask me to come out here?”

“I know you are looking for me.”

“Precisely. I am looking for you so that I could kill you.”

Yan Shishan said coldly, “You're not the only one who wants to kill me.”

“It's because you are too famous. If I kill you I can become renowned instantly.” Sneering, “It's not easy to be famous in the jiang hu. To be famous quickly, this is the easiest method.”

“Very good.” Yan Shishan answered.

“Now I am here, I have brought a sword that will wash your throat.”

“Very good.”

“Where is your heart?”

“My heart is dead.”

“Then I will let it die one more time.”

A flash of light as the sword was drawn from its sheath. It moved towards Yan Shishan's heart as fast as lightning.

One sword pierces heart.

Using this sword, he had pierced an uncountable number of hearts. This was his ultimate killing technique. However, he could not pierce Yan Shishan's heart. As he thrusted his sword forward, he felt a flash of coldness by his throat. Yan Shishan's sword had already pierced his throat. 1.3 inches deep inside his throat.

Gao Tong's sword fell from his hands, but he was not dead yet.
    “I hope you know that to become famous is not an enjoyable thing.”
    Gao Tong stared at him, his pupils protruding.
    “Therefore it’s better that you should die.”

He drew back his sword, slowly very slowly so that the blood did not touch him. He knew that it was very hard to clean blood stained clothes. -- It was even harder to clean the streak of blood upon his hands.

The night grew darker.

The blood on the sword had been washed clean. The sword had been returned to the sheath. In twilight, four people appeared. Four people, four swords! All four were dressed exquisitely and they all had arrogant faces. The eldest's hair had already turned white while the youngest is a mere adolescent. Yan Shishan did not recognize these people, but he knew exactly who they were.

The oldest had been famous for 40 years. Staying in the border regions (guan wai) all his life , he dominated the region with his self developed [13 Flying Eagle Stances]. This time he had entered the pass to look for Yan Shishan. He did not believe that his [13 Flying Eagle Stances] could be less than Yan Shishan’s [Seizing Lives 13 Swordplay]

The youngest was a person whom had recently risen to fame in the jiang hu. He is also the best student of the Dian Cang Sect. He is talented and works hard. His heart is also ruthless. He had roamed the jiang hu world for a just a year before he earned the nickname of "Heartless Youngster" Cao Bing.

The other two people were of course, also highly skilled pugilists. Qing Feng Jian(Wind Swordsman)'s swordplay was light and lively, as fast as wind. Iron Sword Zhen SanSan' swordplay was steady and vigorous, his sword alone weighed 30 catties. Yan Shishan knew who they were for he had invited them here. All eyes are on Yan Shishan, no one even glanced at the corpse near him. No one wanted to have their confidence shaken by the person who lay dead on the ground. No matter who it is on the ground it didn’t matter to them. As long as they were alive, whoever was dead or alive was no concern of theirs.

Yan Shishan' smile was very tired. “So you all came.”

Guanwai Feiying(Flying Eagle of the Borders) said coldly “I thought you only invited me.”

Yan Shishan said lightly “If I can solve this all at once then why not.”

Cao Bing interrupted “Four people have arrived, so who goes first?”
    He is very impatient, impatient to become famous, impatient to kill Yan Shishan.

Iron Sword Zhen SanSan :“We may play a finger guessing game to decide who goes first.”

Yan Shishan :“No need.”

Iron Sword Zhen SanSan :“Yes there is the need.”

Yan Shishan :“You can all come at once.”

“What kind of people do you think we are, to use so many against only one?” roared Guanwai Feiying.

Yan Shishan :“You are not willing”

Guanwai Feiying :"Certainly not willing"

Yan Shishan :"But I am willing!"

He drew his sword and flashed it like lightning across the four faces of his opponents. Now they had no choice but to attack him all at once. Four swords were drawn from their sheaths. Cao Bing attacked the fastest, the most ruthlessly and with the most killing intent. Guanwai Feiying had leapt into the air and was striking from above. [13 Flying Eagle Stance] was based on martial arts of QiQin Sect (Seven Fowl Sect) that followed the principle of ‘up’ to overcome ‘down’ and ‘hard’ to overcome ‘soft’.

Unfortunately, his opponent was far too strong.

In a flash, Cao Bing had initiated 9 sword strikes. He did not pay attention to anyone else except for Yan Shishan, striking with the singleminded wish to kill Yan Shishan. Alas..all his strikes hit empty space. Yan Shishan who was before him had disappeared. He stood still and suddenly realized something very frightening. On the ground there were three more corpses. All of them with a hole in their throats. In a blink of an eye, all three topclass pugilists, Guanwai Feiying, Qing Feng Jian, Iron Sword Zhen Sansan had all died under Yan Shishan' sword .

Cao Bing's hands turned cold. He lifted his head. Yan Shishan was already standing far away under the ancient tree. The killing sword had returned to its sheath.

Cao Bing grasped his hands tightly. “You…”

Yan Shishan interrupted him. “I don't want to kill you yet.”

Cao Bing :“Why?”

Yan Shishan :“Because I want to give you another chance to kill me.”

The green veins on Cao Bing's hands rose and sweat formed on his forehead. This was a humiliating insult. But he could not forgo the opportunity.

Yan Shishan :“Go back and train for three years. Then come and kill me again”

Cao Bing bit back his anger.

Yan ShiShan: “Dian Cang Swordplay is actually very powerful. If you practice hard, you will have a chance.”

Cao Bing suddenly asked :“What if someone else kills you in these three years?”

Yan Shishan laughed. “Then you can go and kill the person who killed me.”

“Well, then you should take care. It's be best if you don’t die.” Cao Bing said.

Yan Shishan:“I also hope that that would be the case.”

The night got even darker. Darkness had swallowed the earth.

Yan Shishan slowly turned around and faced the darkest part of the night.

“Are you well?”

After a long while, a voice came from the darkness.

“I am not well.”

It was a cold voice, a dry voice. A person stepped from the shadows slowly: black clothes, black hair, black sword and on his black face there seemed to be the colour of death. However, his eyes shone very brightly. He walked very slowly and his two feet seemed to not even touch the ground like a ghost in the shadows of the night.

Yan Shihan's body seemed to shrink a bit and he asked suddenly. “Black Raven?”

“Yes.”

Yan Shishan sighed. “So I still managed to meet you in the end.”

Black Raven repiled :“Seeing me is not a good thing.”

That is probably the case. Black ravens are not auspicious birds, no one likes to see these birds. From the ancient times, there were legends -- black ravens bring disaster whenever they go. So what kind of disaster has it brought this time? It could be that it is Black Raven himself, is the calamity, an unavoidable calamity.

If one knows that it is unavoidable then there is no point worrying about it. Yan Shishan was calm once again.

Black Raven was looking at him, looking at his sword.

“That's a good sword.” He said.

Yan Shishan :“Do you like swords?”

Black Raven :“I only like swords. You not only have good swordplay but also a good sword.”

Yan ShiShan :“You want my sword?”

Black Raven :“Yes.”

The answer was short and straightforward. Yan Shishan laughed. This time his laughter was free from any tiredness it only had a killing aura. He knew that this time he had finally met a formidable opponent.

Black Raven :“Other birds bring joy but black ravens only bring disaster and misfortune.”

Yan Shishan :“You brought disaster here?”

Yan Shishan :“Disaster is visiting me?”

Yan Shishan :“Are you that disaster?”

Black Raven :“No.”

Yan Shishan :“If it is not you, then what?”

Black Raven :“It is your sword.”

The woodsman was innocent but to carry jade within himself is a crime. Yan Shishan knew this principle very well. His fame and his sword were like the sweet smell of muskrat and the antlers of deer.

Black Raven :“I have collected 17 good swords.”

Yan Shishan :“Impressive.”

Black Raven :“17 famous swords.”

Yan Shishan :“Seems like you've killed quite a few famous people.”

Black Raven :“I want the swords of Gao Tong and Flying Eagle.”

Yan Shishan :“If you bury them, you can have the four swords.”

Black Raven :“I only want the swords, not the dead bodies.”

Yan Shishan :“But you only want the swords of dead bodies.”

Black Raven :“That's right.”

Yan Shishan :“If you kill me then you can have my sword.”

Black Raven :“Of course.”

Yan Shishan :“Very good.”

Black Raven :“No, it's not good.”

Yan Shishan :“Why not?”

~~~end of chapter 1~~~

=======================================
    Firstly, I must stress that I do this on a boring day so I almost certainly wouldn't be doing another chapter. It can simply served as an introduction. Hopefully, it might inspired the more talented to come forward.

Secondly, I think some of my translation is a little too literal, although Kara's draft is a little rough, it is kinda of more interesting to read. I wish I could do something about the formating too, some of the conversations would do with some touch up. I made a poor editor and this being my first attempt, probly have some grammer and spelling mistakes so apologises !
    Last edited by chowbeng; 01-13-07 at 07:39 AM.

I think the translation flows much more smoothly now. I know that my translation is very rough so there are alot of mistakes to fix up. You've done a good job. Plus this type of thing always needs more than one editor. The more the better actually.

At the begining, I was translating from scratch. But I find that you managed some parts far more elegantly so I adapted most of it.

I ended up only correcting some minor errors, straightening out the proper names and adding a couple of missing parts. It isn't as time consuming and difficult as it would be.

Another thing, Gu Long is the most sensible chap. He keeps his sentences very short and simple. No 5-chapters running fights with 8 dozens different stances, no difficult poems in ancient verses unlike Jin Yong.

which is exactly the reason why i would never chose to translate a jin yong work. Its incredibly hard because he has poems, long descriptions and uses a lot of words that i can't translate into english unless i have a dictionary and an encylopedia.

I got ahead of myself. Since I did chapter one rather quickly and painlessly, I thought I could easily edited the other chapters in the same manner. Well, not so at all.

I completed chapters 2 and 3 and parts of chapter 4 before I realised that I had butchered and changed so much of text to my own intereption that it bears little resemblances to Kara's original work. I felt that it is kinda of "stealing" the title and demeaning her work.

What's more I seriously doubt my stamina and commitment to follow it through to the end so I think I shouldn't continue. But since I had spent a bit of time doing the chapters, I hope she wouldn't mind if I posted them

Default Revised Chapter 2

Chapter Two: Change of Fortune
    Original Translation by Kara.

Black Raven:“Right now, I'm not sure I can kill you.”

Yan Shishan burst out laughing. He suddenly realised that this person really was a black raven, black ravens do not tell lies.

Black Raven:“Especially that move that you used to kill Guanwai Feiying.”

Yan Shishan laughed. “You can't break that move?”

Black Raven:“I can't think of a person who can break that move.”

Yan Shishan:“You think that is already unparalleled in the world?”

Black Raven:“I have met highly skilled members of the Seven Main Sects and the Four Main Families.”

Yan Shishan:“What do you think of their skills?”

Black Raven:“Their swordplay is too conservative. They placed too much value on their lives and so their swordplay fell short of yours.”

Yan Shishan sighed. “Your insight is quite good but your knowledge is rather limited.”

Black Raven:“Oh?”

Yan Shishan:“I know a person who could break that move easily.”

Black Raven's expression changed: “You had seen his swordmanship?”

Yan Shishan nodded and sighed: “His swordmanship is truly unparalleled in the world”

Black Raven:“Who is it?”

Yan Shishan did not answer him directly but held up three fingers.

Black Raven:“Three Hands Sword Jin Fei? According to rumours when Three Hands Sword fights, one hand turns to three and one sword turns to three swords. The incredible speed and variations of his sword can be deduced from that rumour alone.”

But Yan Shishan shook his head. “To kill a person you don't need three hands or three swords. Just one sword is enough.”

Black Raven:“So you say it's not him?”

Yan Shishan:“It's not him.”

Black Raven:“Then who?”

Yan Shishan:“Third Young Master.”

Black Raven:“Which third young master?”

Yan Shishan:“The one at the foot of Jade Cloud Peak, in front of Green Water Lake.”

Black Raven grasped his hands tightly.

Yan Shishan said:“He is also using a precious sword that is unparalleled in the world.”

Black Raven’s eyes narrowed.

Yan Shishan:“But I advise you not to look for him under any circumstances ”

Suddenly Black Raven laughed. He rarely laughed and so his laugh sounded harsh and very wierd.

Yan Shishan:“This is not a laughing matter.”

Black Raven:“I'm laughing at you.”

Yan Shishan:“Oh?”

Black Raven:“You know that since I had came here so I would not let you go easily.”

Yan Shishan agreed.

Black Raven:“I’m not sure I can kill you but you are not sure you can kill me either.”

Yan Shishan acknowledged.

Black Raven:“Therefore you want to stir me up so that I would go to Jade Cloud Peak and challenge Third Young Master first.”

Now it was Yan Shishan's turn to laugh.

Black Raven:“And this is a laughing matter?”

Yan Shishan:“I'm laughing at myself.”

Yan Shishan:“Because you see through my mind so easily.”

Black Raven: “So you are not willing to duel with me?”

Yan Shishan:“Very unwilling.”

Black Raven:“Why?”

Yan Shishan:“Because I still have an appointment to keep.”

Black Raven:“What kind of appointment?”

Yan Shishan:“An appointment with death.”

Black Raven:“Where?”

Yan Shishan:“At the foot of Jade Cloud Peak, in front of Green Water Lake”

Black Raven:“You go, knowing perfectly well that you are not his match?”

Yan Shishan:“An appointment with death is eternal”

Black Raven:“Don't tell me that you are intentionally going to your death?”

Yan Shishan laughed again and said plainly:“Don't tell me that you think living is such an enjoyable thing.”

Black Raven shut his mouth.

Yan Shishan was still laughing, laughing with indescribable cynicalness. “A swordman had eventually to die under someone else's sword, there is no way to escape that.”

Black Raven kept his silent.

Yan Shishan:“I had killed countless people in my life. If I can die under the world's number one famed sword, I would die without regrets”

Black Raven looked at him, stared at him for a long while suddenly said:“Ok. You can go.”

Yan Shishan cupped his fists in farewell, turned around and left without another word. He did not go far before he stopped once again as he discovered that Black Raven had been following him all along. Following him like his shadow.

Black Raven stopped too, and stared at him.

Yan Shishan:“I understood your intentions.”

Yan Shishan:“If I can go, you can go as well.”

Black Raven:“You are not stupid.”

Yan Shishan:“But you don't necessarily must go together with me”

Black Raven: “I must.”

Yan Shishan: “Why?”

Black Raven: “Because I don't want to miss the chance to see the duel.”

He continued coldly: “When two top masters duel, inevitably they had to use all their best skills. If I can watch by the side, I definitely would be able to spot the flaws in the their swordplay.”

Yan Shishan sighed: “Very logical.”

Black Raven: “No matter who the victor is in your duel, the last person standing will be me.”

Yan Shishan: “Not only the victor of the duel would have exhausted all his strength, you also have the opportunity to spot flaws in his swordplay. Thus if you wanted to kill him, it would be the perfect opportunity.”

Black Raven: “So how can I miss out on such an opportunity?”

Yan Shishan: “Indeed, you should not”

He sighed again: “It's just a pity that you've made one slight miscalculation.”

Black Raven: “What is it?”

Yan Shishan: “Third Young Master swordmanship has no flaws, not even one!”

Now, they had already started drinking.
    The best restaurant, the best wine, they had always been extravagant men.

Yan Shishan: “After I kill, I must drink wine.”

Black Raven said, “Even if I haven't kill, I'd still drink wine.”

Yan Shishan: “After drinking, I must find a woman.”

Black Raven: “Even if I haven't drank wine, I'd still find a woman.”

Yan Shishan: “Who would have a thought that you are a lover of both wine and woman.”

Black Raven: “It takes one to know one.”

They really had drunk a lot.

Yan Shishan: “Since you too are a lover of wine and woman, today I'll let you have it.”

Black Raven:“Let me have what?”

Yan Shishan:“The bill.”

Black Raven:“No need to yield such honour to me. You are welcome to it.”

Yan Shishan:“This time I really have to let you have the honour, I really have to be polite.”

Black Raven:“No need. No need.”

Yan Shishan:“I must insist, yes I insist.”

Usually, people would be insisting on settling the bill while these two were insisting on not paying the bill.

Yan Shishan:“When I kill, I never bring along anything that would get in the way.”

Black Raven:“Oh.”

Yan Shishan:“Especially silver.”

Black Raven agreed.
    If a person carried hundreds of taels of silver then he definitely couldn’t move as freely.

Black Raven:“You could carry banknotes.”

Yan Shishan:“I hate paper money.”

Yan Shishan:“A single banknote passed through countless pairs of hands. Awfully filthy”

Black Raven:“You could exchange the pearls on your sword for silver”

Yan Shishan laughed.

Black Raven:“Is that a laughing matter?”

Yan Shishan:“The world's biggest joke.”

He suddenly lowered his voice.“All the pearls are fake. The real ones were sold a long time ago.”

Black Raven stared at him in disbelief.

Yan Shishan:“That’s why today I definitely have to polite and let you have it.”

Black Raven:“What if I wasn’t with you today?”

Yan Shishan:“If so, I would have to find another way but because you are here I don’t need another way.”

Black Raven laughed.

Yan Shishan:“What are you laughing at?”

Black Raven:“I'm laughing at you because you found the wrong person to drink with.”

And he also lowered his voice.“I'm the same as you. Tonight, I was prepared to kill too.”

Yan Shishan:“And you hate paper money too?”

Black Raven:“I despise them.”

Now it was Yan Shishan's turn to stared in disbelief.

Black Raven:“So today I definitely have to be polite and let you have the honour.”

Yan Shishan sighed only to see the restaurant owner came forward with a laugh.
    “Both of you need not to be polite to each other because your bill had already been paid for by someone upstairs.”

Who paid for them? Why would they pay for them? Both of them gave such questions no thoughts at all, neither did they ask such questions. To them, such issue was no importance.

To be able to drink freely without paying, was always a very happy thing.
    When a person was happy, it was natural to drink more than usual. However, both were not drunk yet.
    When they were starting to get a little drunk, two girls suddenly appeared from upstairs. Both girls were very attractive and well dressed, just the type of girls that captivate the hearts of men.
    When men were on the verge of being drunk, they are most easily tempted. Both Yan Shishan and Black Raven were already captivated and were trying to think of a way to seduce them. But before they could think of a good way, the two girls came before them.

“I am Xiao Hong.”
    “I am Xiao Cui.”

Both girls smiled very sweetly.
    “We have came specially to wait on you gentlemen.”

Yan Shishan looked at Black Raven and Black Raven stared back at Yan Shishan.
    If the people that had been killed by them would to see their faces right now, they would feel very unjust.
    Their appearence were now completely unlike that of the world famous swordmen and ruthless killers.

Xiao Hong charmingly said :“Both gentlemen can drink here or come to our place”
    Xiao Cui:“Both places had already been paid for.”

Although there were many good people and good deeds in the world, such good things was still very rare.

Black Raven:“Is this your luck or is it mine?”

Yan Shishan:“It is certainly mine.”

Yan Shishan:“People say that if one is close to death than their luck changes.”

This was the first day.
    The second day was no difference. Whereever they went, someone would pay for their expenses.
    Who was treating them? Why? They still neither asked nor even thought about it.

They slept very late and woke up late. Every morning as soon as they stepped out of the door there was always a horse carriage waiting for them. As if fearing that they had played too hard the previous night and were too tired to walk. But today they prefered to walk.

The weather is excellent today.

Black Raven:“Is Jade Cloud Peak far away?”

Yan Shishan:“Not very far.”

Black Raven:“To be able to travel in such a manner, I wish that it is a little bit further, the further the better”

Yan Shishan:“We can walk very slowly.”

In front lay a big forest, the leaves were unexpectedly still green

Yan Shishan:“Shall we have some wine in the forest?”

Black Raven:“Where's the wine?”

Yan Shishan:“Don't worry, if we want to drink wine, someone will bring it.”

It was very sunny.
    They were walking along road reflected with rays of sunshine, the horse carriage following right behind them. Another horse carriage came speeding by the other side of the road. Stopping only as it entered the forest. Three people and a child alighted from that carriage.

~~~End of Chapter Two~~~
    Last edited by chowbeng; 01-13-07 at 08:19 AM.

Default Revised Chapter 3

Chapter Three: The Strange Thousand Snake Sword
    Original Translation by Kara.

The adults entered the forest. The elegant child who wore a green hat, however took out a large piece of red silk and tied it with a small knot to the branch of a tree on edge of the forest. After that, the child also stepped into the depths of the forest. Yan Shishan sighed when he saw this. “Looks like we had better find another place to drink wine.”

Black Raven:“Isn't this a good place?”

Yan Shishan:“A very good place.”

Black Raven:“Then why should we find another place?”

Yan Shishan:“Because of that.”

He pointed to the red silk ribbon that was tied to the tree branch.

Black Raven:“What does that mean?”

Yan Shishan:“It means that this place has momentarily become a forbidden place. No one can enter it now.”

Black Raven laughed coldly. “Who set this rule?”

Before Yan Shishan could answer, the forest is suddenly alive with the sound of the zither. The melody was gently pleasing to the ear, filled with contentment and joy.

Black Raven had already grasped his hands tightly.

At that moment, eleven superb horses suddenly dashed out from the road. Upon each horse, sat a fierce and brutal looking rider. Each man was well armoured, with a huge saber slinged behind their back. A piece of red silk danced in wind from every saber. As the horses entered the forest, each of the riders jumped off their horses in a very agile manner.

In jiang hu, there aren't really that many real experts, however these eleven people appeared to be really skilled. The most agile of them was a big man with only a single arm. As soon as he dashed into the forest, he shouted :“Prepare to give your lives!”

The zither was still soft and gentle, still filled with contentment and joy.

The eleven men had stormed into the forest.

Black Raven:“It seems like these people were from Tai Hang.”
    Yan Shishan:“Yes.”
    Black Raven:“Tai Hang Big Sabre really do have guts.”
    Yan Shishan:“Yes.”
    Black Raven:“What do you think they are doing here?”
    Yan Shishan:“They are here to die!”

As soon as he finished speaking, someone flew out from the forest, falling heavily on the ground.
    As soon as it hit the ground, it laid motionlessly, without even uttering a single sound.
    That body belonged to the most menacing of the group : the big man with a single arm.

The gentle and joyful zither still did not stop.

However, bodies did not stop flying out from the forest, one after another - a total of eleven bdoies.
    Eleven people flew out the forest, hit the ground and never moved an inch after that.
    When they stormed into the forest, they moved very fast.
    But they were even faster on the way out.

Black Raven said coldly.“They really did come to die.”

Yan Shishan:“They were not the only ones who came here to die.”

Black Raven:“There is still me.”

Yan Shishan:“It's not your turn yet.”

Black Raven did not say anymore.

He already saw that two people were approaching, an adult and a child. The adult was still young, at the very most around thirty or so. In addition she was a woman. A delicate and frail looking woman with great elegance. Her face carried a colour of indescribable sorrow. The child was even younger than the one who tied the red ribbon on the tree. A pair of large, round eyes which kept looking around. Anyone could see that he was a very clever child. Clever as well as cute.

However, he was about to do something that was perhaps, not very clever.
    They were walking toward the forest.
    Even a man like Black Raven could not bear to see them walking to their death. He was about to stop them from entering the forest.

Then they also saw the red silk ribbon on the tree. The young woman, dressed in emerald green, suddenly said “Take that down.”
    The child stood on his toes and not only did he remove the red silk, he also replace it with an emerald green slik ribbon securely with a knot.

After that, the two walked slowly into the forest.

It seemed as if they did not even see the dead bodies on the ground or Yan Shishan and Black Raven. Black Raven originally was about to stop them, now he had changed his mind for some reason. Yan Shishan still had not move from his spot. From their eyes however, they shown some very strange expressions.

At this moment, the zither from the forest suddenly stopped.
    The wind blew gently and the bright light from the sun covered the earth.
    After the music stopped, for a very long time no sound came from the forest.

No one has any idea what had happened.
    Who was the zither player?
    Why did the zither stopped so suddenly?
    Would the young woman and the child be be thrown out of the forest just like the men from Tai Hang?

Anyone would want to know the answers to these questions. Black Raven and Yan Shishan were no exceptions.
    That's why they did not leave, even the driver of the horse carriage which was following behind them was staring at the forest to see some excitement. But there was no excitement to see, no one was thrown from the forest. They only heard the footsteps that tread on the forest leaves, very slow and soft footsteps. Right in front was the child who had tied the red piece of silk on the tree earlier. Two people followed slowly behind him. One was a man and the other a woman, they seemed to be husband and wife. They were rather young and wore elegant clothes and carried themselves with an air of noblity.

The man wore a sword on his waist was handsome and dashing whilst the woman was not only pretty but also gentle and tender. If they really were husband and wife then they were a match made in heaven. However, their faces now were pale and they seemed greatly annoyed by something. They were about to board their carriage but changed their minds when they saw Black Raven and Yan Shishan. They bent down and gave the child a few instructions.

The child ran over to Black Raven and Yan Shishan, staring at them with a of large eyes and asked:
    “You had been here for a very long while, haven't you?”

Yan Shishan nodded.

Child: “You've seen everything?”

Yan Shishan nodded.

Child:“Do you know where I am from?”

Yan Shishan:“Fire Mountain, Red Cloud Valley, Xiahou Manor.”

The child sighed. “It seems that you do know quite a bit.”

Although his voice was that of a child, his demeanor was that of an old man.

Yan Shishan:“What is your name?”

Child:“You need not to ask for my name, I didn’t come to make acquaintances with you.”

Black Raven:“Then what did you come for?”

Child:“My master wants to borrow three things from you, three from each.”

Black Raven:“One tongue and two eyes.”

Yan Shishan laughed.
    Black Raven also laughed.
    Suddenly they both moved, each grabbing hold of the child's legs and arms.
    Together in a low voice:“Fly away little brat!”

Swoosh! The child was thrown up into the air just like a cannonball. The man looked as if he had seen nothing, placing his hands nonchalantly behind his back, however his wife knitted her eyebrows.

The child was now falling back down again, Black Raven and Yan Shishan easily caught him and gently set him upon the ground. The child was so frightened so badly that he wet his pants.

Yan Shishan smiled and patted his head.“Don't be scared, when I was a child, I used to do thrown this way too.”

Black Raven:“It was a good way to build up courage.”

The child was wide-eyed, ready to run back.

Yan Shishan:“You had not taken the things that your master wanted, how would you explain returning emptyhanded?”

Child:“I…”

Yan Shishan:“I can teach you a method.”

The child looked at him, listening.

“Is your master, Master Xiahou?” The child nodded.

The child was nodding his head continuiously.

Yan Shishan:“Wasn't he the one that told you to fetch those things? Ask him, since he was the one who wanted those three things, why shouldn't he come and collect them himself?”

The child did not nod anymore, turned his head and ran.

Master Xiahou was still expressionless but his wife started walking towards them. Her posture was graceful and noble, her voice cultured and gentle.

“I am Xue Keren. The person standing over there is my husband Xiahou Xing.” //A literal translation of her name "Ke Ren" is "lovely"

“So it is the Master of Red Cloud Valley.” Yan Shishan said plainly.

Xue Keren:“Since both of you had heard of his name, you should know what kind of person he is.”

Yan Shishan:“I do not know.”

Xue Keren:“He is a genius. Not only is he good at both the literary and martial arts, his swordplay is almost unbeatable.”

As much as a woman admires her husband, it is rare that she would praise him so much in front of outsiders. Even if she did so, she would not help but to at least blush a little. But she did not blush at all, not even a tiny bit embarrassed. Her beautiful eyes was filled with admiration and respect for her husband.

Yan Shishan sighed to himself. -- To marry such a woman would be truthfully fortunate.

Xue Keren continued:“Against such a man, it is only natural that you wouldn't want to fight!”

Yan Shishan:“Oh? Why not?”

Xue Keren:“Not only he came from such a distinguished background, he is also extremely skilled himself. If you two fight someone like him, isn't it akin to smashing eggs against rocks? Therefore I would advise both of you to…”

“Obediently cut our own tongue and poke our own eyes out as a gift to him?” Yan Shishan finished for her.

Xue Keren sighed.“I know that is a little inconvenient but at least it is better than losing your lives.”

Yan Shishan laughed again and asked suddenly:“Is your perfect husband a mute? unable to talk for himself?”

Xue Keren:“Of course not.”

Yan Shishan:“Then why isn’t he the one telling us all these?”

Black Raven:“Even if he is unable to talk, he could still fart with his arse. Why doesn’t he come here himself and fart?”

Xiahou Xing's expression finally changed.

Yan Shishan:“Since he refused to walk over, why can't we go to him?”

Black Raven:“ Of course we can.”

Yan Shishan:“Shall you go over or shall I?”

Black Raven:“You.”

Yan Shishan:“Strong as unbreakable strands of silk, Numerous as falling metors of heaven. Thousand Snake Sword is not only an excellent sword but also very strange sword.

Black Raven:“oh”

Yan Shishan:“If he dies, who would get his sword?”

Black Raven:“You”

Yan Shishan:“You don't want it?”

Black Raven:“I do want it.”

Yan Shishan:“Then why don't you want to challenge him?”

Black Raven:“Because I am too lazy to fight such a brat, he disgusted on the first sight”

Before he could finished the sentence, Xiahou Xing appeared in front of him. His face was pale and his voice was very cold. “But the one I want to fight is you.”

Black Raven:“Then draw your sword quickly.”

Xiahou Xing's sword was already out of the stealth.
    Strong as unbreakable strands of silk, Numerous as falling metors of heaven.
    It was indeed a strange sword.

With a slight shake of his hand, the single blade seemed to have changed into thousand strands of silver snakeheads, as numerous as falling metors of heavens. The single sword appeared to have scattered into thousands of sword fragments, each fragment aiming for a vital point. Black Raven's vital points.

Black ravens can fly but now he was unable to. He twisted away, in a flash of sword managed to protect himself. Only to hear a "KA" sound. And with it, the thousands of sword fragments suddenly merged back together into a single blade, going straight at his throat. This sword was installed with an ingenious secret mechanism which allowed it be merged together and divided at will. Merged together, the sword was one long sword. Divided it turned into thousands of secret projectiles all linked together by a thin silver wire. When the thin silver wire was contracted, the sword fragments would link back together into one single sword again.

Yan Shishan sighed:“I should have fought this battle. I really want that sword.”

Suddenly, there was a series of noise, "DING!DING!". Not alike that of dense rain against the window pane or beads falling onto a jade plate.
    At that very instance, Black Raven had made 7 by 7, 49 moves, each move hitting a fragment of the Thousand Snake Sword. The Thousand Snake Sword was amazingly flexible, like a shining silver whip. Just as the sword whip was neatly trapped by Black Raven’s sword, Xiahou Xing's expression changed. He spun around and leapt upwards, the sword turned with his body and escaped Black Raven’s hold. Then with another "KA", it had turned back into one solid blade.

Yan Shishan immediately cut in:“Let's count this one as a draw. Now it's my turn.”

Xiahou Xing sneered. Looking around him, his face turned dark again. In fact, he now looked even more upset than before.

He had suddenly realised that someone was missing.
    The child was lying on the floor, his acupoints sealed. Xue Keren had however disappeared.

Xiahou Xing ublocked the child's acupoints with his foot and snapped: “Who did this?”

The child's face was very white.“It…it was Young Mistress.”

Xiahou Xing:“Where is Young Mistress?”

The child looked at him “Young Mistress had ran away.”
    The child collapsed on the ground, crying. Xiahou Xing was already in pursuit. Yan Shishan and Black Raven did not stop him.

When one's wife suddenly left without warning, Yan Shishan and Black Raven could understand the husband's feeling. But never in their wildest dreams they could believe that such a gentle, sweet, devoted woman. A woman who so totally admired her hushand, would run away while her beloved husband was in the middle of a life and death battle. They looked to be a match made in heaven. Even Yan Shishan was envious of them.

Why did she leave? Yan Shishan was suddenly filled with sorrow. He was not sorry for himself and certainly not for Xiahou Xing.

His grief was for man.
    Mankind.
    No one knows how much sorrow and discontent was hidden in the midst of perceived happiness and contentment.
    No one knows...

The child crying on the ground had left but now another, younger child appeared merrily. He was not running very fast at all but he arrived right in front of Yan Shishan and Black Raven in a blink of the eye. He was at the most, only 7 or 8 years old.
    A seven,eight year old with such good lightness kungfu was unbelievable. But Yan Shishan and Black Raven had to believe it because they had just witnessed it with their very own eyes.

The child looked at them and smiled. An absolutely adorable smile.
    Normally Black Raven don't like children. He had always thought that children were like cats and dogs. True man should avoid them as far as possible. However, this time not only did he not avoid the child but he also asked:

“What's your name?”

Child:“I'm called Despicable Child.”

Black Raven:“You are clearly not at all dislikeable, why are you called Despicable Child?”

Despicable Child:“You are clearly a human being, why are you called Black Raven?”

Black Raven wanted to laugh but he didn't. It was true that everyone hated black ravens. But on this world, how many wanted to hear straightforward and truthful words?

Yan Shishan can't helped but to asked:“You know that his name is Black Raven?”

Despicable Child:“Stupid question.”

Yan Shishan's question was truthfully a stupid one. If he didn’t know Black Raven is his name, then why would he called him Black Raven?

Despicable Child continued.“I not only know that his name is Black Raven but I also know that your name is Yan Shishan. Futhermore, I know your name is Yan Shanshan(Yan the Thirteen) because before there was a person callled Yan Qi(Yan the Seven) and another called Yan Wu(Yan the Fifth). You felt that you were a little stronger than both of them combined and so you called yourself Yan Shishan(Tan the Thirteen)."

Yan Shishan was in deep shock and disbelief. That truly was his intention and also his secret. He had no idea how Despicable Child knew about it.

Despicable Child:“Actually, I don't really know much about you, I've just heard about you from my big sister.” This came as another surprise. The young woman who walked into the forest with him earlier looked somewhat like his mother.

Yan Shishan:“Does your sister have a name?”

Despicable Child:“Of course she does.”

Yan Shishan:“What is her name?”

Despicable Child:“Are you mute, unable to speak?”
    Yan Shishan shook his head.

Despicable Child:“You don't have legs, unable to walk?”
    Yan Shishan looked down at his legs as if to check whether he really had legs.

Despicable Child:“You can speak and walk, why don't you go and ask her yourself?”

Yan Shishan smiled:“Because I am not blind and I can still see.”

Despicable Child:“What can you see?”

Yan Shishan pointed to the green piece of silk tied to the tree. “You are the one who tied that knot of silk onto that tree. You should know what the meaning behind it.”

Despicable Child:“The meaning is: this land is ours. Those who enter with tongues would became mute. Those who enter with legs would became lame.”

~~~End of Chapter Three~~~
    Last edited by chowbeng; 01-13-07 at 09:26 AM.

Wow! The original story is miles apart from the television series, much better too! Go chowbeng and kara! Keep it up!

PS. Despicable Child looks creepy to me. Urghh... And i thought Yan Shisan is intelligent, from the series. But this obviously doesn't prove so:

Despicable Child:“You don't have legs, unable to walk?”
    Yan Shishan looked down at his legs as if to check whether he really had legs.

Yeah. I thought it was stupid when i was typing that up too.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

maybe this should be combined with the newly continued translation. or in a unabridged version. i guess it doesn't really matter, but i forgot how much l liked this story. it was so long since i read this.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/