Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little Sword of the Third Master -Gu Long (Translation)

Arrow Sword of the Third Young Master -Gu Long (Translation)

Hi, I’ve run out of anime to watch and I’m really bored so I decided to start reading a new book tody. San Shaoye De Jian or the Little Sword of the Third Master. This is thanks to Tai Han who recommended me the Vietnamese site about a million months ago and gave me the Chinese name. I haven’t finished this book, I’ve decided to translate as I go because it’s more fun this way plus I hate re reading Vietnamese books. Therefore I’ve finished chapter one and decided to put it up.

Ummm… because I’m Vietnamese the names will be in Vietnamese unless I can think of English translations or actually know the mandarin pinying- which will be very rare. Oh yeah, I am really lazy and have absolutely no dedication whatsoever, therefore this project could be abandoned at any time. I’ll try really hard so hope that doesn’t happen. Can’t actually remember how many chapters I downloaded so we’ll see. If there’s a part that doesn’t make sense to you, it probably didn’t make sense to me either- Vietnamese is so much harder than it looks and I’m relatively new at this

Chapter One: One Sword Pierces Heart

Kie^/m khi/ tung hoanh\ tam va.n ly/
    Nha^/t kie^/m quang han/ tha^.p cu`u? cha^u

Sword aura roams for 30 000 li
    Light of a sword sends shivers throughout 19 provinces <This line is thanks to Noodles- Thank you!>

Late autumn. The setting sun casts shadows from the dried up leaves of a lone tree.

Under the tree there stood a figure, a figure so still and so cold that he seemed to be one with the earth.

A tiredness that seeped through every bone of his body and an unimaginable killing aura. He was tired probably because he had no other choice. His hand held a sword. A sword with a sheath that was made from black crocodile skin. The mouth of the sheath was made of gold and on it was set large 13 pearls. The people of the jiang hu world did not know little of this figure. Since 17, he and his sword had made a name for themselves. Now he was older and he had put down his sword. However, other people did not allow him to put down his sword. When he puts down his sword, his life will come to an end. Fame at times is like a piece of luggage, a piece of luggage that can never be put down.

Afternoon. Autumn leaves flutter in the wind.

A person was walking up towards the tree. His clothes were exquisite, his face pale and his sword in hand as he stared ahead. His steps were steady and he walked very fast, stopping only about seven steps away from the figure under the tree.

“Yen Thap Tam?” He suddenly asked.

“Yes.”

“Is your Doat Menh Thap Tam Kiem [Taking Lives 13 Swordplay] really unbeatable?”

“Not necessarily.”

The person laughed coldly.

“I am Cao Thong, One Sword Pierces Heart Cao Thong”

“I know.”

“Did you ask me to come out here?”

“I know you have been waiting for this.”

“Precisely. I was looking for you so that I could kill you.”

Yen Thap Tam said coldly

“You’re not the only one who wants to kill me.”

“It’s because you are too famous. If I kill you I can become renowned instantly.” He laughed. “It’s not easy to be famous in the jiang hu world. To be famous quickly, this is the easiest method.”

“Very good.” Yen Thap Tam answered.

“Now I am here, I have brought a sword that will wash your throat.”

“Very good.”

“Where is your heart?”

“My heart is dead.”

“Then I will let it die one more time.”

A flash of light as the sword is drawn from its sheath. It moves towards Yen Thap Tam’s heart as fast as lightning.

One sword pierces heart.

Using this sword, he has pierced an uncountable number of hearts. This is his ultimate killing technique.

However, he could not pierce Yen Thap Tam’s heart.

As he thrust his sword forward, he felt a flash of coldness by his throat. Yen Thap Tam’s sword was 1.3 inches deep inside his throat.

Cao Thong’s sword fell from his hands, his body not yet dead.

“I hope you know that to become famous is not an easy thing.”

Cao Thong stared at him, his body dead.

“Therefore it’s better that you should die.”

He drew back his sword, slowly very slowly so that the blood did not touch him. He knew that it was very hard to clean blood stained clothes. It was even harder to clean the streak of blood upon his hands.

The night grew darker.

The blood on the sword had been washed clean. The sword had been returned to the sheath. In the night four people appeared. Four people, four swords. All four were dressed exquisitely and they all had arrogant faces. The oldest had white hair whilst the youngest was a mere adolescent. Yen Thap Tam recognized these people. He knew who they were.

The oldest had been famous for 40 years. He lived in the country and he became famous with his clan’s ‘Phi Ung Thap Tam Thich [Flying Eagle 13 ?]. This time he had entered the city to look for Yen Thap Tam. He did not believe that his ‘Phi Ung Thap Tam Thich’ could be less than Yen Thap Tam’s ‘Doat Menh Thap Tam Kiem’.

The youngest was a person whom had recently risen to fame in the jiang hu world. He was also the best student of the Diem Suong Sect. He was a genius and he was also hardworking. His heart was also very evil. He had roamed the jiang hu world for a just a year before he earned the nickname of Heartless Youngster Tao Bang.

The other two people were also highly skilled pugilists. Thanh Phong Kiem’s swordplay was light and like the wind. Iron Sword Tran Tam Son’s swordplay was steady and his sword weighed 30 pounds. Yen Thap Tam knew them for he had asked them to come here. All eyes were on Yen Thap Tam, no one even glanced at the corpse near him. No one wanted to have their confidence effected by the person who lay dead on the ground. No matter who it was on the ground it didn’t matter to them. As long as they were alive, whoever was dead or alive was no concern of theirs.

Yen Thap Tam’s smile was very tired.

“So you all came.”

Quan Ngoai Phi Ung said coldly

“I thought you only invited me.”

Yen Thap Tam said lightly

“If I can solve this all at once then why not.”

Tao Bang interrupted

“Four people have arrived, so who goes first?”

He was very impatient, impatient to become famous, impatient to kill Yen Thap Tam.

Iron Sword Tran Tam Son:

“We can use rock, scissors, paper to settle the matter and see who goes first.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“No need.”

Iron Sword Tran Tam Son:

“Yes there is.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“You can all come at once.”

“What kind of people do you think we are to use so many against only one?” hollered Quan Ngoai Phi Ung.

Yen Thap Tam:

“But I agree to it.”

He drew his sword and swung it like lightning across the four faces of his opponents. Now they had no choice but to attack him all at once. Four swords were drawn from their sheaths. Tao Bang attacked the fastest and with the most killing intent. Quan Ngoai Thien Ung had leapt into the air and was striking from above. Phi Ung Thap Tam Thich was a type of martial arts that used ‘up’ to overcome ‘down’ and ‘hard’ to overcome ‘soft’ but it was unfortunate that his opponent was far faster.

In a flash, Tao Bang had initiated 9 sword strikes. He did not pay attention to anyone else except for Yen Thap Tam. He wanted his sword to be the one that killed Yen Thap Tam but all his strikes hit empty space. Yen Thap Tam who was before him had disappeared. He stood still and suddenly realized something very scary. On the ground there were three other corpses. On all their necks there was another hole. Quan Ngoai Thien Ung, Thanh Phong Kiem, Iron Sword Tran Tam Son- three number one swordsmen in jiang hu had all died under Yen Thap Tam’s sword in a blink of an eye. Tao Bang’s hands became cold. He saw that Yen Thap Tam was standing under the lone tree again. The killing sword had returned to its sheath.

Tao Bang held his two hands tightly.

“You…”

Yen Thap Tam interrupted.

“I don’t want to kill you yet.”

Tao Bang:

“Why?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because I want to give you a chance to kill me.”

The green veins on Tao Bang’s hands rose and sweat formed on his forehead. This was an insult. But he could not forgo this chance.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Go home and continue to practice. After three years come and find me again.”

Tao Bang held in his anger.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Diem Suong Swordplay is actually very powerful. If you practice hard you will have a chance.”

Tao Bang suddenly asked:

“What if someone else kills you in those three years?”

Yen Thap Tam laughed.

“Then you can go and kill the person who killed me.”

“Well then you should take care. It’d be best if you don’t die.” Tao Bang said.

Yen Thap Tam:

“I also hope that that would be the case.”

The night got even darker. Darkness had swallowed the earth.

Yen Thap Tam slowly turned around and faced the darkest part of the night.

“Are you well?”

After a long while, a voice came from the darkness.

“I am well.”

It was a cold voice, a dry voice. A person stepped from the shadows slowly: black clothes, black hair, black sword and on his black face there seemed to be the colour of death. However, his eyes shone very brightly. He walked very slowly and his two feet seemed to not even touch the ground like a ghost in the shadows of the night.

Yen Thap Tam’s body seemed to shrink a bit and he asked suddenly.

“Black Raven?”

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“So at last I still get to meet you.”

Black Raven

“Seeing me is not a good thing.”

That is probably the case. Black ravens are not heroic birds, no one likes to see these birds. From long ago there has been stories about black ravens flying past and bringing disaster. So what type of calamity has it brought this time? It could be that it is Black Raven himself that is the calamity, an unavoidable calamity. If one knows that it is unavoidable then there is no point worrying about it.

Yen Thap Tam was calm once again. Black Raven was looking at him, looking at his sword.

“That’s a good sword.” He said.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Do you like swords?”

Black Raven:

“I only like swords. You not only have good swordplay but also a good sword.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“You want my sword?”

Black Raven:

“Yes.”

The answer was short and straightforward. Yen Thap Tam laughed. This time his laughter was free from any tiredness it only had a killing aura. He knew that this time he had finally met a formidable opponent.

Black Raven:

“Other birds bring joy but black ravens only bring disaster and worry.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“You brought disaster here?”

Black Raven:

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I am in danger?”

Black Raven:

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Are you the danger that I must face?”

Black Raven:

“No.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If not you then what?”

Black Raven:

“Your sword.”

The woodsman was innocent but to carry jade within himself is a crime. Yen Thap Tam knew this principle very well. Fame and a good sword were like the sweet smell of muskrat and the antlers of deer.

Black Raven:

“I have collected 17 good swords.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Impressive.”

Black Raven:

“17 famous swords.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Seems like you’ve killed quite a few famous people.”

Black Raven:

“I will take the swords of Cao Thong and Phi Ung.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If you bury them, then the swords are yours.”

Black Raven:

“I don’t need corpses I only need swords.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“But you need the swords of corpses.”

Black Raven:

“That’s right.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If you kill me then my sword is yours.”

Black Raven:

“Ofcourse.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“That’s good.”

Black Raven:

“No its not.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why not?”
    Last edited by Kara; 12-03-04 at 08:49 PM.

Arrow Chapter Two: Change of Fortune

I feel really ashamed. No idea what the title of the chapter means.

Chapter One recap:

Yen Thap Tam:

“If you kill me then my sword is yours.”

Black Raven:

“Ofcourse.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“That’s good.”

Black Raven:

“No its not.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why not?”

Chapter Two: Change of Fortune

Black Raven:

“Right now I’m not sure I can kill you.”

Yen Thap Tam burst out laughing. He suddenly realised that this person really was a black raven at least black ravens do not tell lies.

Black Raven:

“Especially that move that you used to kill Quan Ngoai Phi Ung.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed.

“You can break that move?”

Black Raven:

“I can’t think of a person who can break that move.”

Yen Thap Tam.

“You don’t think that that is the ultimate unbeatable move do you?”

Black Raven:

“ I have met highly skilled members of the Seven Main Sects and the Four Main Families.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“What do you think?”

Black Raven:

“Their swordplay is too defensive. They place too much value on their lives and so their swordplay fall short of yours.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“Your insight is quite good but your knowledge is rather limited.”

Black Raven:

“Oh?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I know a person who could break that move easily.”

Black Raven:

“Who is it?”

Yen Thap Tam did not answer him directly but held up three fingers.

Black Raven:

“Three Hands Sword Kim Phi? According to rumours, when you duel with Three Hands Sword Kim Phi one hand turns to three and one sword turns to three swords. The incredible speed and the charisma of his sword can be deduced from that rumour alone.”

But Yen Thap Tam shook his head.

“To kill a person you don’t need three hands or three swords. Just one sword is enough.”

Black Raven:

“So you say its not him?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“It’s not him.”

Black Raven:

“Then who?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“The Third Young Master.”

Black Raven:

“Which third young master?”
    Yen Thap Tam:

“The one under Mt Thuy Van and in front of Lake Luc Thuy.”

Black Raven squeezed his two hands tightly.

Yen Thap Tam said:

“His sword is also said to be number one in the sword.”

Black Raven’s body seemed to grow smaller.

“But I advise you to not visit him.”

Suddenly Black Raven laughed. He rarely laughed and so his laugh sounded forced and very queer.

Yen Thap Tam:

“This is not a laughing matter.”

Black Raven:

“I’m laughing at you.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Oh?”

Black Raven:

“You know that I am here so I would not let you of easily.”

Yen Thap Tam agreed.

Black Raven:

“I’m not sure I can kill you but you are not sure you can kill me either.”

Yen Thap Tam agreed.

“That’s why you want me to go to Mt Thuy Van to challenged the Third Young Master first.”

Now it was Yen Thap Tam’s turn to laugh.

Black Raven.

“And this is a laughing matter?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I’m laughing at myself.”

Black Raven:

“Oh?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because you have seen what I am thinking.”

Black Raven:

“So you don’t want to duel with me?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Very much so.”

Black Raven:

“Why?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because I still have an appointment to keep.”

Black Raven:

“What kind of appointment?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“An appointment with the god of death.”

Black Raven:

“Under Mt Thuy Van in front of Lake Luc Thuy? You know you can’t beat him so why are you still going?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“It’s an appointment with the god of death, I can’t not go.”

Black Raven:

“Don’t tell me you made that appointment to die?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Don’t tell me you think that living is something that is enjoyable.”

Black Raven stayed quiet. Yen Thap Tam laughed, inside his laugh resided indescribable contempt.

“Humans learn swordplay only to eventually be killed by someone else’s sword. Even if you want to dodge that sword you can’t.”

Black Raven stayed silent.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Throughout my life I have killed many people. To die under the sword of the world’s number one famed sword family is enough.”

Black Raven looked at him for a while.

“Ok. You can go.”

Yen Thap Tam cupped his fists in farewell and turned around without a word. Black Raven continued to look at him.

Yen Thap Tam:

“I know why you let me go.”

Black Raven:

“Oh?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I can go because you can’t go.”

Black Raven:

“You’re not as stupid as I think.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“But you don’t have to follow me.”

<Thanks Noodles for the translation of this missing part below>

Yen Thap Tam cupped his fists in farewell and turned around without a word. Black Raven continued to look at him.

He did not go far before he stopped once again as he discovered that Black Raven had been following him all along. Following him like his shadow.

Black Raven stopped too, and stared at him.

Yen Thap Tam: “I know what you mean by this.”

Black Raven: “Oh?”

Yen Thap Tam: “If I can go, why can’t you go?”

Black Raven: “You’re not as stupid as I think.”

Yen Thap Tam: “But you don’t have to follow me.”

Black Raven: “But I must.”

Yen Thap Tam: “Why?”

Black Raven: “Because I don’t want to miss the chance to see you two duel.”

He continued coldly: “Great martial artists must duel with all their strength, if I can watch by the side, I definitely will be able to spot the flaws in the swordplay of you two.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed: “Very logical.”

Black Raven: “No matter who the victor is in your duel, the last person standing will be me.”

Yen Thap Tam: “Because the victor of my duel will have exhausted all his strength and by then, you would have seen the flaws in his swordplay, if you wanted to kill him, it would be the perfect opportunity.”

Black Raven: “And how can I miss out on an opportunity like that?”

Yen Thap Tam: “It really is a golden opportunity.”

He sighed: “It’s just a pity that you’ve made one error in your calculations.”

Black Raven: “What?”

Yen Thap Tam: “Within Third Little Master’s swordplay, this is no flaw, not even one!”

Now, they were having a drink with each other.

The best restaurant, the best wine, these two have always had been extravagant kind.

Yen Thap Tam: “After I killed someone, I must drink wine.”

Black Raven said, “Even if I haven’t killed someone, I’d still drink wine.”

Yen Thap Tam: “After drinking, I must find a woman.”

Black Raven: “Even if I haven’t drank wine, I’d still go find a woman.”

Yen Thap Tam: “Who would have a thought that you are an admirer of wine and woman.”

Black Raven: “It takes one to know one.”

They really have drunk a lot.

Yen Thap Tam: “Since you too are an admirer of wine and woman, today I’ll let you have it.”

Black Raven:

“Let me have what?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“The bill.”

Black Raven:

“I don’t need you to let me have anything. Stop being polite.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“This time I have to let you have it, I have to be polite.”

Black Raven:

“No need. No need.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Yes I should, yes I should.”

Other people would be insisting on paying the bill while these two were insisting on not paying the bill.

Yen Thap Tam:

“When I want to kill someone I never bring along anything that will get in the way of my fighting.”

Black Raven:

“Oh.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Especially money.”

Black Raven agreed. If a person carried hundreds of taels of silver then he definitely couldn’t move as freely as he liked.

Black Raven:

“But you can carry debt papers/paper money <translation for ngan phieu anyone?> with you.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I hate debt papers/paper money.”

Black Raven:

“Why?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“You don’t know how many hands has that debt paper passed through. Don’t you think that’s dirty?”

Black Raven:

“What about the pearls on your sword sheath? Can’t you see them for money?”

Yen Thap Tam laughed.

Black Raven:

“Why did you laugh?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I’m laughing at you.”

He suddenly lowered his voice.

“All the pearls are fake. The real ones were sold a long time ago.”

Black Raven stared at him in disbelief.

Yen Thap Tam:

“That’s why today I definitely have to let you have it.”

Black Raven:

“What if I wasn’t with you today?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If that was to happen I would have another way but because you are here I don’t need another way.”

Black Raven laughed.

Yen Thap Tam:

“What are you laughing at?”

Black Raven:

“I’m laughing at you because you found the wrong person to drink with.”

And he also lowered his voice.

“I’m like you. Today I was prepared to kill people too.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“And you hate debt papers/paper money too?”

Black Raven:

“I despise them.”

Now it was Yen Thap Tam’s turn to stared in disbelief.

Black Raven:

“So today I have to definitely be polite and definitely let you have it.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed only to see the restaurant owner walk forward and laugh.

“You both don’t have to be polite because someone upstairs has already paid for both of you.”

Who paid for them? Why would they pay for them?

They both did not think of these questions nor did they ask them. To them, this issue was no important.

To be able to drink freely without money, this is something that makes people very happy. When a person is happy then their alcohol tolerance becomes much higher. Both are not yet drunk. When they were on the verge of becoming drunk, two girls appeared both pretty and both dressed to captivate men. When men are on the verge of being drunk, they are most easily captivated. Both Yen Thap Lang and Black Raven were captivated and trying to find an excuse to talk to these two girls. But before they could find one, the two girls appeared before them.

“I am Tieu Hong.”

“I am Tieu Thuy.”

Both laughed very sweetly.

“We have come to wait on you gentlemen.”

Yen Thap Tam looked at Black Raven and Black Raven looked at Yen Thap Tam. If the people that these two had killed could see their faces right now they would feel that they had been unjustly slained. Their faces were now completely unlike the faces of emotionless expert swordsman.

Tieu Hong said with surprise.

“Do you gentlemen want to drink wine here or come to our places to drink it?”

Tieu Thuy

“Both places have been paid for you two.”

Even if there are many good things in this world, something as good as this is quite rare.

Black Raven:

“Is this my lucky streak or yours?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Mine offcourse.”

Black Raven:

“Why?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“People say that if one is close to death than their luck changes.”

And so the first day went past. And it was the same as the second. Where ever they went, there was always someone who would pay for their expenses. Who was treating them? Why? They had no need to ask. They had no need to know. They slept very late and also woke very late. Every morning as soon as they stepped out of the door there was always a horse-drawn carriage waiting for them as if afraid that the night before they had played too hard and was too tired to walk. But today they wanted to walk. It was a beautiful day.

Black Raven:

“Is Mt Thuy Van far?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Not very far.”

Black Raven:

“To travel this way, I hope that it is a little bit further and the further the better”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Lets go into the forest and drink some wine.”

Black Raven:

“Where’s the wine?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Don’t worry, if I want to drink wine, someone will bring it there for me.”

The sky was very sunny. They were walking along a very bright road, the horse-drawn cart were following them on a different road. Another horse-drawn cart appeared and stoped at the edge of the forest near them. Three people jumped down from the carriage. Two adults and a child.

End Chapter Two

Hey, I’m really on a role. Two chapters in one day. Wow. My arm hurts from typing now. This is getting interesting. Wonder who those three people are? The kid must be important. Hope he’s not a brat. Unless, he’s the Little Third Master. That would be pretty cool and kinda weird. I like Yen Thap Tam- wouldn’t want him to be beaten by a kid. Why are there no young and handsome heros in here anyways? The only young one was evil. In this aspect Jin Yong is better. But jin yong in Vietnamese is so boring. No idea why. I find him riveting in English but in Vietnamese? Geez, long winded and boring. Maybe cos I’m not good at the language. Anyways, it’s night time over here. Gonna sleep now. Good night.
    Last edited by Noodles; 12-03-04 at 11:04 PM.

Wow, very nice job. thanks for translating this Novel. I'm vietnamese too but my reading skills are pretty much zero...lol
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Hi kara,

I guess you finish reading Wu Lin Wai Shi. Me and my stinking vietnamese are still on chapter 16 or 15, I can't remember which one. I got to stop since school started.

Quote Originally Posted by Kara
    <argh! I’m so pissed off. The site I downloaded this from [Tai Han…hmmmm] is missing two pages of this- says so in the middle of the text. So yeah, we’re all missing out on this one. Hope this is the only missing bit but I have a bad feeling about this one. Sigh. Okies on with the show. >
    yea, that site also pisses me off. I been looking for a better one, but they all seemed to use the same verison, through copy and paste.

for mandarin pinying all I know is Yen Thap Tam is Yan Shi San.

for some of the words you wrote in vietnamese. If you want to you can use this website that have it in actual text http://vnthuquan.net/truyen/truyen.a...83a3q3m3237nvn and copy and paste it over.

I couldn't remember, but I think think this site have more errors in it. The one I gave is an edited verison of this one, or was it the other way around.

good luck with your translation

Thumbs up comment

Hi,
    A new translation!!!
    good luck.
    j
    Last edited by jotaro; 11-26-04 at 05:28 PM.

I didn't know this novel was translated in to Viet. I heard that Viet translations for GL novels aren't that good, but good job!! I hope to be contributing to this forum with some translations too.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

So far I love this story. If you continue translating it, you can be sure that I'll be an avid reader. Thank you for your efforts.

Arrow Chapter Three- Odd Thousand Snake Sword

Thanks for all the lovely comments. I didn’t expect people to reply so soon.

Tai Han: Yes, I’ve finished Wu Lin Wai Shi. It was good. There was a whole set of chapters with only Chu Qi Qi that I didn’t like but the rest was excellent. However, it took me three months to complete the novel so I wouldn’t say my Vietnamese is very good either. Don’t worry about the site, we’ll take what we get.

Trinie: Are you going to be translating too? Cool! That’s another less Vietnamese book for me to read! I agree that the translation for Gu Long books in Vietnamese are not good. But better than nothing I guess. That’s why I am translating as I am reading along, so that I can discuss it with everyone and have fun while translating.

Anyways, here’s the next chapter. Have fun.

Chapter Two Recap:

The sky was very sunny. They were walking along a very bright road, the horse-drawn cart were following them on a different road. Another horse-drawn cart appeared and turned into the forest and stopped near them. Three people jumped down from the carriage. Two adults and a child.

Chapter Three: Odd Thousand Snake Sword

The adults entered the forest. The beautiful child who wore a green hat took out a piece of red silk and draped it on the branches of the tree on the edge of the forest. Yen Thap Tam sighed when he saw this.

“Seems like I better drink at a different place.”

Black Raven:

“Isn’t this a good place?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“A very good place.”

Black Raven:

“Then why must we change places?”

Yen Thap Tham:

“Because of that.”

He pointed to the red silk that was now tied to the trees.

Black Raven:

“What is that?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“This place has momentarily become a forbidden place. No one can enter it now.”

Black Raven laughed coldly.

“Who has set out this condition?”

Before Yen Thap Tam could answer the sound of the zither floated from the forest. The sound was gentle to the ears and was filled with contentment.

At that moment, 11 horses suddenly appeared. Upon the horses sat strong looking pugilists each with a saber by his side. Upon each saber there was a piece of red silk.

These people appeared to be really skilled. The fastest movement was made by the leader who shouted as soon as he entered the forest. The whole group moved quickly and efficiently.

“Prepare to give your lives.”

The sound of the zither was still soft and gentle. The 11 men had stormed into the forest.

Black Raven:

“It seems like these people come from Mt Thai.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Yep.”

Black Raven:

“What do you think they are doing here?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“They are here to die.”

As soon as he finished speaking, a body flew out from the forest. The body was immobile, unable to move. That was the leader of the group.

From the forest, bodies kept flying out- a total of 11 people. 11 people were immobile on the ground. When they stormed into the forest their movements were efficient but the way they were thrown out were even more efficient.

Black Raven said coldly.

“They really did come to die.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“They are not the only ones who came here to die.”

Black Raven:

“There is also me.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“It’s not your turn yet.”

Black Raven did not say anymore. He saw that two people were approaching, an adult and a child. The adult was not very old, she was a pretty woman around thirty years old whose face carried unimaginable sorrow. The child was even younger than the one with the green hat and had a pair of large, round eyes which kept looking around. Anyone who saw the child would agree that he was a clever child. However, the thing that he was about to do was not very clever. They were both going to enter the forest. Even Black Raven did not have the heart to see them die and he was prepared to stop them. They both saw the red silk on the tree and the woman, dressed in green, suddenly said

“Take it down.”

The child immediately stood on his toes and took down the red silk, replacing it with a green one. After that, the two walked slowly into the forest. It seemed as if they did not even see Yen Thap Tam and Black Raven. Even though Black Raven was prepared to stop them, for some reason he changed his mind. Yen Thap Tam lay still on the ground. Suddenly, the music from the forest stopped. The wind blew gently and the bright light from the sun covered the earth. After the music stopped, for a very long time no sound came from the forest. Who was the zither player? The music had stopped so suddenly. Would the woman and the child be like the men from Mt Thai and be thrown from the forest? Anyone would want to know the answer to these questions. Even Black Raven and Yen Thap Tam. That’s why they did not leave, even the driver of the horse-drawn carriage was staring at the forest to see some excitement. But there was no excitement to see, no one was thrown from the forest. They only heard the footsteps that tread on the forest leaves, very slow and soft footsteps. In front was the child who had tied the red piece of silk on the tree earlier. The two people behind him was one man and a woman, they seemed to be husband and wife. They were not very old and wore elegant clothes and had an open demeanour. The man wore a sword on his back and seemed handsome and dashing whilst the woman was not only pretty but also gentle and sweet looking. If they really were husband and wife then they were a match made in heaven. However, their faces now were pale and they seemed greatly annoyed by something. They were about to board their carriage but changed their minds when they saw Black Raven and Yen Thap Tam. They bent down and gave the child a few instructions. The child immediately ran over to Black Raven and Yen Thap Tam.

Child:

“You have been here for a very long time haven’t you?”

Yen Thap Tam nodded.

Child:

“You’ve seen everything?”

Yen Thap Tam nodded.

Child:

“Do you know where I am from?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Mt Hoa Diem, Hong Van Valley, Ha Hau Manor.”

The child sighed.

“It seems like you know a lot of things.”

Even though his voice was like a child’s his manner of speaking was much older.

Yen Thap Tam:

“What is your name?”

Child:

“You don’t need to ask me, I didn’t come to make acquaintances with you.”

Black Raven:

“Then what did you come for?”

Child:

“My master wants three things from you, three from each.”

Black Raven:

“One tongue and two eyes.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed. Black Raven also laughed. Suddenly they both moved, each grabbing hold of one of the child’s legs and arms. Lowering their voice they said:

“Fly little brat.”

Swoosh, the child was thrown up into the air. The man looked as if he had seen nothing, placing his hands nonchalantly behind his back, however his wife knitted her eyebrows. Now the child was falling back down again, Black Raven and Yen Thap Tam easily caught him and gently set him upon the ground. The child was so frightened that his pants were now wet. Yen Thap Tam smiled and patted his head.

“Don’t be scared, when I was younger I use to fly like that too.”

Black Raven:

“It builds up courage.”

The child was wide-eyed, ready to run back.

Yen Thap Tam:

“The things you need you haven’t taken yet, how can you answer to your master?”

Child:

“I…”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I can teach you.”

The child looked at him, listening.

“Is your master Young Master Ha Hau?”

The child nodded.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Did he tell you to come here?”

The child nodded.
    Yen Thap Tam:

“So now you can tell him that if he wants to take those three things, why doesn’t he come and take them himself.”

The child did not nod anymore, he only turned around and ran back.

Young Master Ha Hau’s face did not change when he heard this but his wife started walking towards them. Her walk was elegant and her voice was also cultured and gentle.

“I am Tiet Kha Nhan. The person standing beside me is my husband Ha Hau Tinh.”

“So it really is the Young Master of Hong Van Valley.” Yen Thap Tam said coldly.

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“Since you both have heard of my husband, you must know what kind of person he is.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I don’t know.”

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“He is a genius. Not only is he good at both the literary arts and martial arts, his swordplay is almost unbeatable.”

Even if a women really admires her husband it is rare that they would praise him so much in front of others. Even if they did so, they would at least blush a little. But she did not blush at all, her voice did not sound even a little forced. In her eyes was only the love and admiration she had for her husband.

“To marry a woman like that, what more could you ask for?” Yen Thap Tam sighed to himself.

Tiet Kha Nhan continued:

“So naturally you don’t want to fight with someone like him do you?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Oh? Why not?”

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“Because if you do you’ll certainly die. Therefore you should…”

“Obediently cut our own tongue and poke our own eyes out?” Yen Thap Tam finished for her.

Tiet Kha Nhan sighed.

“I know that that is a little inconvenient for you but at least it is better than dying isn’t it?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“So is your perfect husband unable to talk?”

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“Ofcourse not.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Then why isn’t he telling us this himself?”

Black Raven:

“Even if he is unable to talk he still has a place to fart. Why doesn’t he come here and fight us himself?”

Ha Hau Tinh’s face changed colour many times.

Yen Thap Tam:

“He’s here already, can’t we go over there to him?”

Black Raven:

“We can.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Are you going or am I?”

Black Raven:

“You.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I heard that his Heavenly Snake Sword is an excellent sword. It is also unique.” <unfortunately there are two lines of poetry that go with this sword- no clue whatsoever what it means so sorry >

Black Raven:

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“So if I kill him who will the sword belong to?”

Black Raven:

“You”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Don’t you want it?”

Black Raven:

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Then why don’t you challenge him?”

Black Raven:

“Because I’m lazy and I don’t want to fight such an annoying turtle.”

Just as his sentence finished, Ha Hau Tinh appeared in front of him. His face was pale and his voice was very cold.

“But the person I want to challenge is you.”

Black Raven:

“Then draw your sword quickly.”

Ha Hau Tinh had drawn his Heavenly Snake Sword. It really was a unique sword. He shook his hand slightly and it really seemed as if the sword had turned into a thousand snakes. The sword seemed to have scattered into a thousand sharp fragments, each fragment aiming for Black Raven’s vital areas. Black ravens know how to fly but now he was unable to. He swerved and his sword shot out to protect himself. With a ‘crack’ the thousands of sword fragments charged at Black Raven’s critical areas. This sword was a special sword and inside there had been fixed a special device. This allowed the sword to be one long sword or thousands of projectiles linked by a thin silver wire. When the thin silver wire was contracted, the sword fragments would link together to become one long sword again. Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“I should have fought this battle. I really want that sword.”

Ting! Ting! <this sounds lame I know> The sound was like rain splashing against a jade wall and dripping onto a table. In a flash, Black Raven had made 49 moves, each move hitting the fragments of the Heavenly Snake Sword. The Heavenly Snake Sword was amazingly flexible, like a shining silver whip. The Heavenly Snake Sword was now wrapped inside Black Raven’s sword. Ha Hau Tinh spun around and leapt upwards, the sword turning with his body and leaving Black Raven’s hold. ‘Crack’, the fragments had now become one long sword.

Yen Thap Tam said:

“You guys haven’t decided who won. Now it’s my turn.”

Ha Hau Tinh laughed coldly, however his face turned incredibly pale as he looked in all four directions. He suddenly realised that someone was missing. The child was lying on the floor, his acupuncture points immobilised. Tiet Kha Nhan had disappeared. Ha Hau Tinh kicked the child, mobilising him.

“Who did this?” He snapped.

The child’s face was very white.

“It…it was Young Mistress.”

Ha Hau Tinh:

“Where is Young Mistress?”

The child looked at him, bewildered.

“Young Mistress is gone?”

The child collapsed on the ground, crying. Ha Hau Tinh quickly disappeared in search of his wife. Yen Thap Tam and Black Raven did not bother to follow. When someone’s wife suddenly leaves them, Yen Thap Tam and Black Raven could guess what the husband must be feeling. But in their wildest dreams they could have never guessed that such a gentle, sweet, devoted woman could leave when her beloved husband was in the middle of an important battle. They seemed like such a match made in heaven. Even Yen Thap Tam admired them. Why did she leave? Suddenly Yen Thap Tam felt filled with sorrow. He was not sorry for himself nor for Ha Hau Tinh. He felt sorry for mankind. Who knew how much sorrow and discontent hid the midst of perceived happiness and contentment? <I love this line in all languages>

The child crying on the ground had left but now another, younger child appeared. He was laughing and running about. He was not running fast but in a flash he had appeared in front of Yen Thap Tam and Black Raven. At most he was only 7 or 8 years old. An eight year old with such good lightness kungfu was unbelievable. But Yen Thap Tam and Black Raven had to believe it because they saw it with their own eyes. The child looked at them and smiled. He had and absolutely adorable smile. Normally Black Raven didn’t like children. He had always thought that children were like cats and dogs. Men should see children and avoid them. However, this time not only did he not avoid the child but he also asked:

“What’s your name?”

Child:

“I’m called Despicable Child.”

Black Raven:

“But you are not even a little bit dislikeable, how can you be called Despicable Child?”

Despicable Child:

“You’re obviously a human being how come your name is Black Raven?”

Black Raven wanted to laugh but he didn’t. It was true that everyone hated black ravens. But on this world, how many wanted to hear straightforward and truthful words?

Yen Thap Tam:

“Do you know that his name is Black Raven?”

Despicable Child:

“Stupid question.”

It really was a stupid question. If he didn’t know Black Raven’s name then why did he call him Black Raven?

Despicable Child continued.

“I do not only know that his name is Black Raven but I also know that your name is Yen Thap Tam. I know why you are called Yen Thap Tam <Yen 13>. Before, there was a person called Yen That <Yen 7> and one called Yen Ngu <Yen 5>. You felt that you were stronger than them combined and so you called yourself Yen Thap Tam <Yen 13>.”

Yen Thap Tam stared at him in surprise. That truly was his intention and it was also his secret. He had no idea how Despicable Child knew about it.

Despicable Child:

“Actually, I don’t really know much about you, I’ve just heard about you from my older sister.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Doesn’t your sister have a name?”

Despicable Child:

“Ofcourse she does.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“What is her name?”

Despicable Child:

“Are you unable to talk?”

Yen Thap Tam shook his head.

Despicable Child:

“Are you lame?”

Yen Thap Tam looked down at his legs as if to check to see whether he really had legs or not.

Despicable Child:

“You can speak and walk, why don’t you go and ask my sister yourself?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because I am not blind and I can still see.”

Despicable Child:

“What can you see?”

Yen Thap Tam pointed to the green piece of silk tied to the tree.

“You are the one who put that piece of silk onto that tree. You should know what the meaning behind that piece of silk is.”

Despicable Child:

“The meaning is: this piece of land is ours. Those who enter who are able to talk will become unable to talk. Those who are able to walk will become unable to walk.”

End Chapter Three

Wow, that was a longer chapter than usual. But interesting. I like Despicable Child though his name is so hard to translate. He seems very smart. I love the way he makes fun of those two. Seems I was wrong about Young Third Master. Oh well. My only thoughts on this chapter is that the Heavenly Snake sword is so cool. I want one. I hope this book turns out to be a good one. Tai Han said it was so I decided to start reading it. If it isn’t we can hunt him down together
    Last edited by Kara; 11-26-04 at 12:38 AM.

I interpret the title of Chapter 2 as "An Opportune Moment" or "A Change of Fortune". On the sites I've seen, Chapter 3 is titled "Odd Thousand-Snakes Sword".

Have fun with the translation. It's a decent story.
    Last edited by TigerWong; 11-25-04 at 04:22 PM.

Default Chapter Four

Tigerwong: Wow! Thanks for the names of the titles. I really appreciate it. I find the hardest to translate are the title and the fight scenes. So thanks. Thanks. Many thanks.

Chapter Three Recap:

Despicable Child:

“You can speak and walk, why don’t you go and ask my sister yourself?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because I am not blind and I can still see.”

Despicable Child:

“What can you see?”

Yen Thap Tam pointed to the green piece of silk tied to the tree.

“You are the one who put that piece of silk onto that tree. You should know what the meaning behind that piece of silk is.”

Despicable Child:

“The meaning is: this piece of land is ours. Those who enter who are able to talk will become unable to talk. Those who are able to walk will become unable to walk.”

Chapter Four: The love and hatred of a mesmerizing woman

Yen Thap Tam did not argue; he did not want to argue. This was the rule of wu lin’s Four Main Families and everyone in jiang hu knew of it. If there was no deep running hatred, no one would want to break this rule. People who lived in the world of jiang hu must live by a certain set of rules. Yen Thap Tam was not an exception.

Despicable Child:

“Now even if you don’t want to enter, you must.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why?”

Despicable Child:

“Because my sister asked to me come and invite you into the forest.”

The forest was silent, heavily silent. A gentle sound rang from the leaves on the ground as they made their way through. As they ventured deeper into the forest, the colours of autumn became deeper. Black Raven did not come with Yen Thap Tam.

“Because my sister only wants to see him.”

“Why did his sister only want to see him? Only him?”

He was now standing before her. Under the tree, the leaves had faded yellow. Upon them a new mat had been laid. There was a zither and a bottle of wine. It seemed as if it was left by Ha Hau Tinh. And it seemed as if it had been left rather hurriedly. Could it be that the woman sitting on the mat had expelled him from the forest? She seemed so gentle, weak and vulnerable- so vulnerable that any shock, no matter how small, would be the end of her. Yen Thap Tam moved softly towards her, softly so not to startle her. But she had looked up, her bright eyes looking into his.

“You are Doat Menh Thap Tam Kiem <Taking Lives 13 Sword -ugh>?” She asked.

Yen Thap Tam nodded.

“Is Young Miss from Mt Thuy Van?”

He had recognised the piece of green silk as being the symbol of Mt Thuy Van, Lake Luc Thuy. To his surprise she shook her head. Yen Thap Tam did not understand why she would use the symbol of Mt Thuy Van if she was not from Mt Thuy Van.

“I am from Jiangnan That Tinh Duong <I know this is not just a name but a temple or manor or sth but don’t know what it means so…>”. Her voice was soft and very gentle.

“I am Mo Dung Thu Dich <Murong Thu Dich>”

Yen Thap Tam was even more surprised.

Jiangnan That Tinh Duong was also one of wu lin’s Four Main Familes. Mo Dung Thu Dich was not only a famous wu lin beauty but also a famous chaste beauty. To look after her often ill parents, she had turned down numerous marriage proposals and had sacrificed the many youthful years of her life. Why was she suddenly here? Could it be that the master of That Tinh Duong, Jiangnan Hero Mo Dung was dead? That Tinh Duong’s fame was equal to that of Mt Thuy Van. Why was she using another’s symbol and not her own? It seemed as if Mo Dung Thu Dich knew what he was thinking for she suddenly said:

“My father is not dead yet. Though he has been ill seven times during this year, it is still not his time to die.”

Yen Thap Tam breathed a sigh of relief.

“I hope he stays well and lives for another couple of years.”

He said this sincerely. Mo Dung Chinh was really a righteous, heroic man. Such a man was rare in jiang hu.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“I have sneaked out of the house and come here without my father’s knowledge.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why?”

Before he could finish his sentence, Mo Dung Thu Dich interrupted.

“Because I want to kill someone.”

In her gentle eyes, a flash of sorrow and hate appeared. She must really hate this person. Who was this person? Yen Thap Tam did not dare to ask. He did not want to ask. He did not want to be involved with the affairs of Wu Lin’s Four Main Families. Mo Dung Thu Dich’s eyes seemed to be looking off into the distance. Her body seemed to be in a distant place. It was a while before she spoke again.

“You all know me as a chaste and filial maiden?”

Yen Thap Tam nodded.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“In the past seven years I have rejected 43 people who have come and proposed to me. Those who have the qualifications to come to That Tinh Duong are obviously those of great skill and reputation.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Do you know why I rejected them?

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because you could not bear to leave your father.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“You are wrong.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Oh?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“I am not a chaste and filial maiden. I..I….”

She forcefully clasped her two hands together.

“I am a liar who has not only lied to the world but I have also lied to myself.”

Yen Thap Tam was dumbfounded. He did not dare to look at her, to look at those two red, tear-filled eyes. He did not want to see a woman cry. He did not was to know why a woman would be crying. Unfortunately, she told him.

“I always refused their proposals because I was waiting for him to come to propose to me.”

Who was he? The person she wanted to kill?

Mo Dung Thu Dich’s tears spilled from her eyes.

“He promised me that he would definitely come. He promised so many times. But he never came.”

A man who uses the promise of a wedding as bait to deceive an innocent girl. She was not the only one in this situation. From the beginning of time, these situations have happened countless of times and now could still be happening in other places. But Yen Thap Tam was not sad for her. Because only when these type of situations fall upon oneself will one be truly sad. It was difficult for the sadness of others to touch the type of person that was Yen Thap Tam.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“I met him when I was 16. He told me to wait for him for 7 years.”

Seven years! What a long period of time. From 16 to 23, what beautiful years for a young woman. The moment he asked her to wait for seven years was the moment he had lied to her. He probably thought that in seven long years, she could not wait for him. In seven long years she would have forgotten him. Yen Thap Tam was a man, naturally he understood the thought underlying such a request. But Yen Thap Tam did not say anything. He realised that to her these were seven years of countless sorrow and restraint.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“The child earlier is not my little brother.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“No?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“He is my son. My illegitimate son with him.”

Yen Thap Tam was shocked. Now he knew why she had to wait seven years, now he knew why she hated that man and now even he felt sorrowful for her. Suddenly her voice turned cold, those gentle eyes became frightening sharp.

“I want you to kill someone for me.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Him?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I only kill two types of people.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Your enemies?”

Yen Thap Tam nodded.

“And the other type is those who want to kill me.”

He continued.

“So I want you to understand one thing.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Go on.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If you definitely want to kill someone then you must be the one to kill them. Every person must untie their own knot.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“But I cannot go.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Because….because I don’t want to see him.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Is it because you can’t bear to kill him?

Mo Dung Thu Dich’s clasped hands tightened.

Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“If you can’t bear it then why do you want to kill him?

Mo Dung Thu Dich suddenly looked at him.

“I want you to understand something too. I must kill this person and you must be the one to do it.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Because he is Ta Hieu Phong of Mt Thuy Van.”

Yen Thap Tam’s face changed colour.

“Ta Hieu Phong of Lake Luc Thuy?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Yes.”

The Godly Sword Mountain Manor of Mt Thuy Van, Lake Luc Thuy. In the main entrance of the manor was a large plaque which had simply five gold words: ‘The world’s number one sword’. This was not a plaque of self praise. After the sword tournament at Mt Hoa Son [Mt Hua San], in which the most famous sword pugilists participated, each one of them contributed one gold tael to have this plaque made as a gift to Ta Thien. Ta Thien was the first master of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor. This was something of the distant past. Though the golden words of the plaque shone brightly, the title of ‘the world’s number one sword’ had long gone. In the recent years, no one had been declared ‘the world’s number one sword’. The light of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor faded from bright to ordinary until this generation. This generation, The Godly Sword Mountain Manor had been blessed with a genius of immeasurable talent. Thirteen years ago, this person had defeated the then declared ‘the world number one sword’ Hoa Ngoc Khon. At that time he was only thirteen years old. It seemed as if when he was born, he carried with him all the blessings from the heavens. After he was born, the love and admiration he received from others was second to none. He was an acknowledged and famed member of jiang hu and also a legendary swordsman. He was handsome, intelligent, strong and heroic. In his life, none could find a weak point, a dirty deed to smear his name. He was the Third Young Master of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor. He was Ta Hieu Phong.

The forest was silent, the dry, cool atmosphere was filled with the fragrance of the grass and trees. Yen Thap Tam seemed to have no reaction when he heard this name. He had stopped breathing. After a while, he gently breathed out.

“I know him.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“I know you know him. Between you there is still a duel to the death.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Yes.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“You will see him, yes?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Ofcourse.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“But I fear that this may be your last appointment.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Oh?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“I have seen your swordplay. You are definitely not his match.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If you know that then why did you ask me to kill him for you?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Because you can help me.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“You?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“His swordplay seems to be perfect, natural and without flaws. He seems to have surpassed the pinnacle of human swordplay.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“He is truly a prodigy, I have once seen him in action.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Do you know his weakness as well?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“His swordplay has no weakness. None at all.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“There is one.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Really?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Ofcourse. Only one weakness though.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Do you know it?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Only I know it.”

Yen Thap Tam’s eyes brightened. He believed that she was not lying. If in this world there was a person who knew the weakness of the Third Young Master’s swordplay it must be her. Because they had once been lovers, and the minds of lovers and open to one another. Only a person whom has been his lover would know his secret.

To a famed swordsman, the weakness in their swordplay is their biggest secret. Not only were Yen Thap Tam’s eyes bright, but his heart was also beating faster. He had given his sword his life and his love. This was not a heroic sacrifice but one of sorrow and pain. This sacrifice was not totally useless. The light of a victorious swordsman was enough to light his whole life. He wielded the sword to win, not to lose. If there was a chance to win, who would put it aside? Mo Dung Thu Dich saw his bright eyes and knew that he was convinced. She continued:

“So in this world only I can help you defeat him and only you can help me kill him.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Why is it only me?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Because in your Doat Menh Thap Tam Swordplay <Taking Life 13 Swordplay>, there is a suitable move. If we change this move a little bit then you can kill him.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Which number move is it?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“The 14th one.”

Obviously the Doat Menh 13 Swordplay only has 13 moves, how can there be a fourteenth move? But Yen Thap Tam understood. Even though Doat Menh Swordplay only has 13 moves, but it has 14 variations. The last variation is the true ‘spirit’ of the swordplay. Even though no one can see the ‘spirit’ of the swordplay, no one can deny its existence. Mo Dung Thu Dich suddenly stood up. Though her figure was weak and gentle, her face was as sharp as a knife thrust. She looked at Yen Thap Tam and articulated each word slowly.

“Now I am Ta Hieu Phong.”

Once she finished saying those six words, the light in her eyes became sharp and in them there was a terrifying killing aura. The type of killing aura of a person whom had killed countless people. Could it be that such a gentle looking woman had killed many people? How many people had she killed? Yen Thap Tam did not need to ask and he did not ask. Mo Dung Thu Dich broke off a dry branch.

“This is my sword.”

With the dry stick in her hand, once again she changed. The killing aura grew sharper and seemed to have spilled from her eyes throughout her whole body. From head to toe, there was a killing intent.

Mo Dung Thu Dich.

“”Now watch. Watch carefully. This is the only weakness of his swordplay.”

A gentle breeze swept by, a breeze that suddenly turned freezing cold. Her body and sword began to move. She moved very slowly, very beautifully. Her movements were as natural as a gentle breeze. But who can dodge a gentle breeze and who can tell from where it blows? Yen Thap Tam felt his body grow tense. Her sword strike was very slow, striking from an unfathomable place. When the strike occurred, suddenly it changed. It changed in an unfathomable way. But during this change, there really was a weak point. When a tornado sweeps the plain, isn’t it logical that there may be some places where it doesn’t touch? But when a tornado sweeps the plains, who can pay attention to these spots? Yen Thap Tam suddenly realised that his hands were damp with sweat. At that point, her movements ceased. She looked at him coldly.

“Have you seen the weak point?”

Yen Thap Tam nodded.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“You can only see it because my movements were 24 times lower than his when he strikes.”

Yen Thap Tam believed in her accurate analysis. An expert swordsman must be ten times more accurate at analysing than a storekeeper who prices his wares.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“When I attack for real, though I am slower than him I am not that much slower.”

Yen Thap Tam had to believe her. He had just realised that she was one of the rare highly skilled martial arts artists of the day.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“I am about to attack.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Attack who?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“You.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed:

“You want to see if I can break this move or not?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“If I break this move, does it mean that you will die under my sword?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“You don’t need to worry about that.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“What if I can’t break it?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Then you have to die.”

She continued:

“If you can’t break this move, even if you live you are worthless to me. Then I would have to kill you anyway.”

End Chapter Four

Wow, this is the most interesting chapter by far. It’s really good. Wonder if she’s really telling the truth though. I mean, a message from Gu Long books is that you should never, ever is your entire life trust a woman, especially a beautiful one. Also, it’s been seven years. Shouldn't Ta Hieu Phong overcome this weakness or at least be able to execute it faster? Eh. We’ll see it in the next chapter. Again we must all thank Tigerwong for the title translations. Bow to the master.

Arrow

Chapter Four Recap:

Yen Thap Tam:

“What if I can’t break it?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Then you have to die.”

She continued:

“If you can’t break this move, even if you live you are worthless to me. Then I would have to kill you anyway.”

Chapter Five: Battle of the Lions

The people were serious and the forest was silent. Yen Thap Tam looked at the dry stick in her hand.

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Why do you not draw your sword?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“My sword his in my hand, I can draw it anytime right?”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“And this is my sword?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“No.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“But in my hand, there is a weapon that can kill.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I know you can use it to kill people, but in reality it is just a dry stick.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“If it can kill someone, is there a difference between a dry stick and a sword?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“There is.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“What is it?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“It can kill someone, but it has never killed someone before. My sword is different.”

He gently stroked his sword.

“This sword has followed me for 19 years. It has killed 63 people.”

“I know you have killed a lot of people.”

“This is just an ordinary sword, but it has drank the blood of 63 people. Sixty three heartless killers, 63 hateful souls.”

He was still stroking his sword as he continued.

“Now this sword seems to have a soul. A soul that yearns for the blood of others. A soul that yearns for others to die under its point.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich laughed coldly.

“It told you this?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“No.”

“What can you feel?”

“If it leaves its sheath, it must kill. At times even I cannot control it.”

He was not lying. If you had a sword like that, a sword that killed 63 people, you would also feel the same way.

Once more, Yen Thap Tam looked at the dry stick in her hands.

“But that dry stick of yours does not have a soul. It does not yearn to kill. And you don’t even really want to kill me.”

He looked up, straight into her eyes.

“And you are not Ta Hieu Phong.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich’s lips were white. A solitary leaf broke off from a branch.

“Is this leaf dead?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Yes.”

“But just then it was on the tree and was alive.”

“But it just needs to fall off and it is dead.”

“Isn’t human life like this leaf anyway?”

“I understand what you are thinking.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“Do you really understand?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because you were so young, you suffered greatly therefore the love you have for him is surpassed by the hatred you have for him.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich did not deny this.

“Therefore you do not care about your life. As long as I break that move, even if you die you will be content.”

He sighed deeply.

“But you are wrong.”

“I was wrong?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because even if I break your move, it doesn’t mean I will break Ta Hieu Phong’s move.”

He looked into her eyes.

“Because you are not using a sword that kills and you are not Ta Hieu Phong.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich’s hands suddenly loosened. The killing aura disappeared as her body loosened and tears spilled from her eyes.

“But I promise you, if I have the chance then I will kill him.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich looked hopeful again.

“How confident are you?”

Yen Thap Tam laughed forcefully.

“Before it was not even one percent.”

Mo Dung Thu Dich:

“And now?”

“Now, it is 40 or 50% sure.”

“You have thought of a way to break it?”

Yen Thap Tam suddenly broke off another branch of the tree.

“Watch.”

His moves were simple and slow but Mo Dung Thu Dich’s eyes brightened. She knew he had found it. Third Young Master’s swordplay was like a lock and he had found the key.

One move, one gust of wind. The dry stick in Yen Thap Tam’s hands suddenly turned to dust. In a flash the wind had blown the dust away. If in his hand had been a sword, the move would have been exceedingly powerful.

Mo Dung Thu Dich gently breathed out and sat down slowly.

“Now you can go.”

When Yen Thap Tam left the forest, Despicable Child was still playing around outside.

There was only Despicable Child. In his right hand he held a chicken drumstick and in his left he held a pear. In the surrounding area there was no store. How he got these things was a mystery.

Yen Thap Tam had already liked the child. Now that he knew of the child’s past, he felt even more akin to him. It was lucky that the child seemed to be perfectly able to take care of himself. Despicable Child was looking at him. Yen Thap Tam ruffled his hair and asked:

“Return quickly. Your sister is waiting for you.”

“Why is she waiting for me?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because…because she is worried for you.”

“Why is she worried about me?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Surely you don’t think that no one will ever worry about you?”

“Ofcourse. I am Despicable Child. No one will worry about me. However, there are many who hate me.”

He bit into his drumstick.

“But that doesn’t worry me.”

Yen Thap Tam looked at his adorable face and suddenly felt a little bit of pity towards the child. There was no one else here. He asked:

“Where is my friend?”

“Your friend?”

“Black Raven.”

“There are no ravens in this forest, only sparrows.”

“I’m talking about the person who was with me before. His name is Black Raven.”

Despicable Child blinked.

“Did you pay me any protection money? Did you ask me to look after him?’

“No.”

“Then why do you ask me?”

“Because….because I think that you definitely know where he is.”

“Offcourse, I know but why do I have to tell you?”

Yen Thap Tam laughed. The child’s question was really difficult to answer. The child bit into his pear and said:

“But offcourse I don’t have to not tell you either.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“What do you want?”

“If you want to ask something, you must at least give me some money.”

Yen Thap Tam felt his moneybag. There was nothing inside.

“You are dressed pretty richly. Do you really have no money?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“That’s because no one has ever asked me for money in exchange for information.”

“This is like getting blood from a stone. I am so unlucky. Ok, write me an IOU.”

“IOU?”

“You want to ask me for something therefore you have to pay me. Now you don’t have money doesn’t mean later you won’t.”

“There is no paper here, how can I write an IOU?”

“Just get a piece of wood and use your sword to carve it on the wood.”

“You are pretty clever there.”

He had to write it.

“How much do I write?”

“Since you have to write something anyway, one or two more numbers will not make a difference. Write a lot.”

His eyes twinkled.

“Write for me 10 000 golden taels.”

Yen Thap Tam looked at him carefully. He was just a mere seven year old and yet as soon as he opened his mouth he wanted 10 000 golden taels. At this rate, what will he ask when he grows older?

“I know what you are thinking now. You are thinking that now he already knows how to make money, what he be when he grows older?”

“How you do know what I am thinking?”

“Because many people have asked me this question.”

“What did you answer them?”

“Now I already know how to make money so when I grow older I will definitely be a millionaire. It so obvious.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed, this child really knows how to look after himself. A child who must learn to look after himself because his parents don’t care is truly pitiful. That’s why Yen Thap Tam wrote 50 000 golden taels instead of 10 000. Despicable Child laughed.

“I asked for 10 000 and you gave me 50 000 even though you are poor you have a very generous hand.”

“If you think it is logical then you must remember it. If you don’t want to be poor, never be generous and always spend your money carefully.”

“Spending money carefully is like having no money.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed. He really liked this child. However, he forgot an important point. He really wanted to kill this child’s father. He really wanted him dead.

This was jiang hu. The way that people of jiang hu think often confuses others. The IOU of 50 000 golden taels can definitely be exchanged for money. Despicable Child stuffed it in his pockets, as if it was a scrap piece of paper.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Even though now I have no money, I can always get money.”

“I know. That’s why I accepted your IOU.”

“Any other time you see me, you can exchange it for money.”

“I know.”

“Therefore you have to keep that IOU carefully so you don’t lose it.”

“Even if I lose it, it’s lucky for you and unlucky for me but its no big deal.”

His eyes continued to twinkle.

“That’s like if you die it is unlucky for me. People like you don’t die easily.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed loudly.

“People of jiang hu are like leaves in the wind.”

Despicable Child waited until he finished laughing before he said:

“Your friend is now behind that hill ahead.”

“Why is he there?”

“It seems like he is battling someone?”

“Battling? With who?”

“Seems like some guy called…something Bang.”

Tao Bang? Did he follow them all the way here? Was he the one who paid for all their expenses? Why then was he battling Black Raven? Yen Thap Tam was not worried for Black Raven. He knew that Tao Bang was not his match. But he was wrong.

Behind the hill the colour of the grass had faded but the blood there was still fresh. It was the blood of Black Raven. Black Raven had fallen. Fallen behind that hill, his blood dying the grass and his clothes bright red.

The blood was coming from a place underneath his vital point. It was only three inches from his vital point. Because of these three inches, he was still alive. Who had wounded him?

Yen Thap Tam rushed forward.

“Was it Tao Bang?”

Black Raven nodded.

Yen Thap Tam looked at him in shock.

“Were you taking it easy on him?”

Black Raven shook his head.

Yen Thap Tam was even more shocked. Clearly this was the truth but he could not bring himself to believe it.

Black Raven laughed sorrowfully.

“I know you don’t believe it. Even I don’t believe it because I have seen him attack before.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“But you…”

“I thought that he would fall in 3 moves. Definitely 3 moves.”

“But now the fallen one is you.”

“I have seen him attack. I have seen the variations in his swordplay. The Diem Suong Swordplay cannot harm a hair on my head.”

“He didn’t use the Diem Suong Swordplay?”

“No.”

“What did he use?”

“I don’t know.”

“Even you can’t recognise it?”

“Such variations I could not recognise nor could I even imagine their existence.”

“He only made one move and you are like this?”

“If it was you it would have been the same.”

He suddenly sighed deeply.

“Even now I can’t think of a person who could break that move.”

Yen Thap Tam’s hands began to move.

End Chapter Five

Ooohh….what a great chapter. I love the kid. I loved him from the beginning- he is so cute. I love the way gu long uses dialogue to develop his characters. In this aspect he is much better than jin yong. I hate sneaky people like Tao Bang. I’m thinking he sneaked into the forest and learnt that move of Mo Dung Thu Dich. If not then how did he grow so powerful so fast? I hate sneaky bastards like him. Ugh, I’d rather a proud all powerful villain than these sneaky pathetic losers.

I bet Tao Bang’s next step is to go see Third Young Master and defeat him so that he can quickly gain fame. What’s the point of killing Yen Thap Tam when you can kill the number one swordsman of the world? That’s probably why he disappeared so he can get there before Yen Thap Tam. Black Raven was probably his testing person. Maybe he didn’t kill Black Raven because he thought that that would definitely slow Yen Thap Tam down.

Hmmm… but then again gu long is famous for his twists so I may be wrong. Lets wait and see shall we?

I try to put the chapters up as soon as I translate them but if I can’t go online then obviously that will be delayed. Next week I’m going back to Vietnam for 2 months which means no more translations until I come back. No computer at my grandparents house and I don’t want to spend 5 hours at some internet café so yeah I’ll get translating as soon as I get back. Well, before I go I want to translate as many chapters as possible in case I lose interest when I come back.
    Last edited by Kara; 11-26-04 at 04:08 AM.

Default Chapter Six:

Chapter Five Recap:

“He didn’t use the Diem Suong Swordplay?”

“No.”

“What did he use?”

“I don’t know.”

“Even you can’t recognise it?”

“Such variations I could not recognise nor could I even imagine their existence.”

“He only made one move and you are like this?”

“If it was you it would have been the same.”

He suddenly sighed deeply.

“Even now I can’t think of a person who could break that move.”

Yen Thap Tam’s hands began to move.

Chapter Six: ok, I suck at titles. Not sure what this one means either. Over to Tigerwong

He moved very slowly. It was a beautiful move, as natural as a gentle breeze. His sword attacked from an unexpected place and varied in an unexpected way. Black Raven looked at him in shook and suddenly shouted.

“Yes! It was that move.”

The grass turned yellow and the blood had dried.

Yen Thap Tam sat down slowly opposite Black Raven. Black Raven couldn’t take it and asked:

“How do you know this move?”

“Because he could only use this move to wound you.”

“That was not Diem Suong Swordplay and it was not one of your moves.”

“Ofcourse not.”

“Then whose it is?”

“You should of guessed it. It is the Third Young Master’s. If not him then who?”

“Well, there is you and Tao Bang.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed. He could never have imagined that Tao Bang had secretly learnt that move. At that time, they had been concentrating on the sword moves and so had not noticed that someone else was also in the forest. He could not imagine that Tao Bang would use Black Raven as a practice target. He could only think of one thing. The next person that Tao Bang would go to meet would definitely be Third Young Master Ta Hieu Phong, Ta Hieu Phong of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor.

Who did Yen Thap Tam meet in the forest? How did they learn a move of the Third Young Master? Black Raven did not ask Yen Thap Tam any of these questions. It was difficult to understand a person such as Yen Thap Tam.

“If you want to go to the Godly Sword Mountain Manor then go quickly. I’ll stay here.”

Yen Thap Tam really wanted to do. Tao Bang had secretly learned that move of Third Young Master, it meant that he had also learnt Yen Thap Tam’s move to break it. He didn’t want someone else to use his swordplay to break Third Young Master’s move. That was his right. Even if he can’t break it, the one who dies should be him.

“But you are wounded and alone.”

He could not stop worrying for Black Raven. Black Raven was a bird that no one welcomed. There were many people who wanted to kill Black Raven. But Black Raven laughed emotionlessly.

“Don’t worry, I won’t die. You should be the one worrying.”

“Me?”

“From here to Lake Luc Thuy is not far. No one will be paying for your expenses from here.”

Tao Bang definitely found the fastest and most comfortable carriage. He must have taken the shortest road. For two people who have no money to run to the Godly Sword Mountain Manor, the loser will be Yen Thap Tam.

Black Raven:

“Unless you are really lucky and meet a really rich person with a really fast horse. You’d have to rob him of his money and steal his horse too.”

“Don’t worry, I can’t do such things.”

Black Raven also laughed. Suddenly the two extended their arms and clasped them together.

“Go quickly. As long as you don’t die I can assure you that we will meet again.”

“If I die, I will definitely send someone to you to give you my sword.”

“Don’t tell me someone who is going to die will have a change of fortune.”

“They will.”

“It seems like your change of fortune is here.”

A horse-drawn carriage was approaching. It was pulled by a very fast horse. They had just heard the horse neigh and it already appeared in front of them.

Black Raven:

“But you can definitely do this.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed.

“Naturally.”

Though he said this out loud, inside he was feeling a little uncomfortable. He didn’t know how to carry this out. He suddenly realised that to be a thief was not as easy as he thought.

The carriage swept past them, but he still didn’t know how to attack.

Black Raven raised his eyebrows.

“This chance will not come twice.”

“I…”

Before he could finish his sentence, the carriage stopped in front of them. He had not moved but the carriage had suddenly stopped in front of him. From the carriage, an unfamiliar dry voice spoke:

“If you want to travel quickly then come on board.”

Black Raven looked at Yen Thap Tam and Yen Thap Tam looked at Black Raven.

Black Raven:

“You have so much luck, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are nearing death.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed loudly. The carriage door had opened and he leapt inside. He waved his hand and laughed.

“As long as I don’t die I assure you that we will meet again. Even if you don’t want to we will.”

Who was the person in the carriage? The horse was fast. The carriage was spacious and comfortable. There was only one person in the carriage and they were wearing a large black hat with a veil that covered their entire face. Yen Thap Tam sat opposite them and asked one question.

“Can you take me quickly go to Mt Thuy Van, Lake Luc Thuy?”

“Yes.”

When he heard this, Yen Thap Tam settled back. Though he had a lot of questions to ask this person, he didn’t make another sound. He was not a curious person. However, the person in black seemed to be a little curious at least. A pair of eyes looked at him intently from above the veil, a pair of exceedingly bright eyes.

The carriage was very fast. Yen Thap Tam continually kept his eyes closed. Was he asleep? He wasn’t, because when the black robed person took out a bottle of wine and began, his throat twitched. A person who is asleep cannot smell the fragrance of wine. The eyes of the person held some laughter as they passed the bottle over to him.

“You need to have some sips don’t you?”

“Naturally.”

When he took the bottle of wine, it was like a hungry person with a piece of gold. But his eyes were still closed. If he opened his eyes then he would discover that this person had a very beautiful hand. Even if it were a very rich gentleman, they still would not have such a pair of hands. Truthfully, even among women there were few who possess such beautiful hands. Long, perfectly shaped fingers and skin as smooth as silk. When Yen Thap Tam returned the bottle of wine, he touched these hands. If he had a sense of touch, he would feel the smooth and softness of these pair of hands. But it seemed like he did not have a sense of touch at all. He showed no reaction. The black robed figure looked at him for a long time before asking:

“Are you human?”

Their voice was still dry and strange. A person with such beautiful hands should not have such a dry voice. Yen Thap Tam answered simply.

“I am human.”

“Are you alive?”

“When I last checked, yes.”

“But you don’t know who I am?”

“I know you are human and a live one at that.”

“Is that enough?”

“Yes.”

“My carriage is not a stolen one, it does not contain stolen good. The wine I gave you is also not stolen. Why would I suddenly invite you into this carriage, take you to Lake Luc Thuy and offer you some wine?”

“Because you feel like it.”

The black robed figure looked at him in surprise and then laughed. Now her laughter had changed. It had become alluring and very easy on the ears. Now anyone would be able to figure that she was a woman and a very attractive one at that. Men definitely like to look at attractive women.

Black robed figure:

“You don’t want to see who I am?”

“Nope.”

“Why?”

“Because I don’t want to cause trouble?”

“Really?”

“A person who invites me onto their carriage without a reason and offers me wine is probably a little out of the ordinary.”

“I am not ordinary or am I trouble?”

“People who are not ordinary often bring a little trouble.”

The person laughed, a very beautiful laugh.

“Maybe if you saw me you would think that even if I did bring a little trouble, it would be worth it.”

“Oh?”

“Because I am a woman, and an attractive one at that.”

“Oh?”

“An attractive woman often hopes for other people to look at her.”

“Oh?”

“If another person refuses them, they will find it an insult and will be depressed.”

She gently breathed out.

“If a woman is depressed then she may do strange things.”

“Like what?”

“Like kicking out the person she invited into her carriage.”

Yen Thap Tam began to breath out. He sighed and opened his eyes.

But he immediately shut them again as if he had seen a ghost. Because he did not see a person covered entirely in black robes. He obviously did not see a ghost. He saw a woman, a completely naked woman without a scrap of clothing on her. Just silk, she had skin as smooth and beautiful as silk.

Yen Thap Tam was not his real name but he was not stupid and he definitely was not Lieu Ha Hue <absolutely no idea what this means- at all>. He had seen women before, many types. Some wore clothes, some didn’t wear clothes, some who wore clothes but took them off and some who took them off very quickly. A naked woman shouldn’t have shocked him this much. He was not shocked because this woman was exceedingly beautiful, not because she had such a tiny waist, not because she had such a pair of full breasts. Definitely not because of her pair of long, perfectly shaped legs. These things only made his heart beat faster but they did not shock him. He was shocked because he had met this woman, he had just met her and she had done something surprising. This person was naturally not Mo Dung Thu Dich. This person was the gentle, sweet looking wife of Ha Hau Tinh. The daughter in law of the famed Ha Hau Main Family of Mt Hoa Diem, Hong Van Valley.

Though Ha Hau Tinh’s Swordplay was not frightening, the Ha Hau family was. Ha Hau Family of Mt Hoa Diem, Hong Van Valley was not famous for their great ability but for also for their strict family rules. People of Ha Hau Manor, no matter where they go they cannot be looked down or insulted by anyone else. No one dared to look at the woman of the Ha Hau Manor. Because if they looked, it was highly likely that they would have their eyes poked out. So if anyone discovered the eldest daughter in law of Ha Hau Family sitting naked in a carriage, they would be very shocked. Sitting opposite was bad enough, but now Tiet Kha Nhan was sitting beside him. It seemed as if he could feel her breathing. She breathed evenly by his ear. Yen Thap Tam had virtually stopped breathing. He was not a rash or stupid person. He had calculated that sitting in this carriage would bring a little trouble. But he did not know how much trouble. Now he knew. If he had known that he would be getting into this much trouble, he would have crawled all the way to Lake Luc Thuy then to get on this carriage.

A beautiful naked woman beside him, breathing gently in his ear. What a beautiful picture that is. If it was said that Yen Thap Tam felt nothing then that would be a lie that not only no one else would believe but even he would doubt.

Even though he knew that this was a very dangerous woman. A woman as dangerous as a volcano ready to explode. Even though he could hold his breath to stop smelling the sweet fragrance from her body, he could not stop the beating of his heart. His heart was beating very fast. If he knew this was going to happen, he would have never gotten into this carriage. But now he was in the carriage. Beside him, the sound of someone gently breathing.

“Why don’t you look at me? Don’t you dare to?”

Yen Thap Tam had opened his eyes and looked at her. Tiet Kha Nhan laughed gently.

“A man must have some courage at least.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“But even if I watch for seven days and seven nights I still can’t see it.”

“See what?”

“You….are you human?”

“You should look at me.”

She arched her chest and straightened her legs.

“If I am not human then what am I?”

You just need a pair of eyes to see that she is not only human, but a woman. A woman that is alive and a woman amongst women. Every inch of her was a woman.

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“You can’t figure out why I did this?”

She was very like a woman but her actions were unlike one.

“You can’t figure it out?”

“If I can figure it out then I am no longer human.”

“You think I am an evil person?”

“Not really evil.”

“Too old?”

“Not really old.”

“I have flaws?”

“No.”

“Have there been women who liked you?”

“A few.”

“Then what do you find strange?”

“If you were another woman not only will I not find it strange but I won’t be polite but you have…”

“Have what…”

“You have a husband.”

“Every women will eventually have a husband. After you get married you will get a husband.”

Her words seemed a bit obvious but they were not because the following sentences were very skilled.

“But if she didn’t marry a human being, is it really considered that she has a husband?”

This was a very clever question but the next one was better.

“If she married a knife, a flea or a piece of wood is it really considered that she has a husband?”

Yen Thap Tam did not know how to answer so he asked her a question.

“Ha Hau Tinh is a pig?”

“No.”

“Is he a piece of wood?”

“No.”

“Is he a dog?”

Tiet Kha Nhan sighed.

“If he was a dog then maybe I would be better off.”

“Why?”

“Because at least a dog would know a little about a person’s wants and a little about love.”

She bit her lip, revealing a feeling of sorrow and hate.

“Ha Hau Tinh is worse than a pig. He doesn’t understand human feelings more so than a piece of wood. He bites more savagely than a dog. I have been married to him for three years and I sincerely wanted to leave him every day.”

“Then why didn’t you?”

“Because I never had a chance. He always keeps me by him. He never lets me leave his side even for a little while.”

Yen Thap Tam was searching. He was searching for that unfinished bottle of wine. He wanted to shut his mouth with a bottle of wine. Because he really did not know what to say.

End Chapter Six

Well, the typical gu long naked woman scene is here. I was hoping it wouldn’t come till later but here it is. I was surprised that its Tiet Kha Nhan. She wasn’t actually described as very pretty when she first appeared. But now once she’s naked she’s incredibly hot. Typical.

Default Chapter Seven

Chapter Six recap:

She bit her lip, revealing a feeling of sorrow and hate.

“Ha Hau Tinh is worse than a pig. He doesn’t understand human feelings more so than a piece of wood. He bites more savagely than a dog. I have been married to him for three years and I sincerely wanted to leave him every day.”

“Then why didn’t you?”

“Because I never had a chance. He always keeps me by him. He never lets me leave his side even for a little while.”

Yen Thap Tam was searching. He was searching for that unfinished bottle of wine. He wanted to shut his mouth with a bottle of wine. Because he really did not know what to say.

Chapter Seven: something monk. Ok, so I suck at titles. Someone might as well translate them all for me.

The bottle of wine was opposite him. He saw it but he couldn’t use it to cover his mouth. Because something else was covering his mouth. This something was not only soft but also fragrant. Most men who have their mouths covered by this usually only have one reaction. A childish reaction. But Yen Thap Tam had a different reaction. He reacted as if a poisonous snake was trying to glide into his mouth. A very poisonous snake. That was an abnormal reaction, which spoilt the moment. Tiet Kha Nhan was angry and pouted her lips.

“Am I poisonous?”

“It seems not.”

“Are you poisonous?”

“Probably not.”

“Then what are you afraid of?”

“I just want to know something.”

“What?”

“I just want to know what do you want me to do?”

“You think that I treat you like this because I want something from you?”

Yen Thap Tam laughed. The meaning behind this laugh was that he agreed. Tiet Kha Nhan grew angry. But what was the point of being angry? So she decided to tell the truth.

“This is not the first time I have run away. This is the seventh.”

“Oh.”

“Can you guess how many times I have been caught?”

Yen Thap Tam did not need to think.

“Seven.”

Tiet Kha Nhan sighed.

“Ha Hau Tinh doesn’t have any other talent. He just has one big talent.”

“Oh?”

“Even if I run to the ends of the earth, he still has the ability to bring me back.”

“That’s a pretty good ability.”

“So this time, it won’t be long before he finds me. Luckily this time it is different.”

“How?”

“This time when he finds me I will belong to you.”

She didn’t give him any time to deny it.

“Or at least it will seem like I belong to you.”

Yen Thap Tam did not laugh nor did he deny it. No matter who sees them in this situation, they will think the same way.

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“He has another ability. He is easily jealous.”

Many men have this ability.

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“So if he sees us in this situation, he’ll definitely kill you.”

Yen Thap Tam agreed.

“If there is a person who wants to kill you, must definitely kill you, what will you do?”

She answered for him.

“Naturally you must kill him.”

Yen Thap Tam sighed. Now he understood her intention.

Tiet Kha Nhan said gently:

“You don’t need to sigh because when you think about it you are not losing anything. Many men would kill for a woman like me.”

“I know there are many men like that but I…”

“You are no different.”

“How can you be sure?”

“Because when the time comes you will have no other choice.”

She hugged his neck.

“Because if you don’t kill him he will kill you. So now…”

She didn’t continue not because something was covering her mouth but because her mouth was covering Yen Thap Tam. This time Yen Thap Tam did not treat her like a poisonous snake. It seemed like he had thought it through. Unfortunately at that moment the horse drawing their carriage neighed frighteningly. He looked out of the carriage window and saw carriage wheels smashing to the ground. They were the wheels from their carriage.

When he saw the wheels rolling away, the carriage smashed against the road and flipped onto it’s side, the window on top. A person was standing on top looking down at them through the window with a very cold and handsome face filled with hatred.

Tiet Kha Nhan sighed.

“I told you he has this ability.”

“It seems like it.”

Ha Hau Tinh belonged to an upper class family. Usually members of an upper class family are taught very good manners. Even if he wanted someone to “get out here” he would say “please”. But everyone has moments where they are not polite and it was obvious that this was one of these moments for Ha Hau Tinh. Now he was not jumping down and screaming. He just said.

“*****, get out here.”

Tiet Kha Nhan was very obedient. If he wanted her to come out, she did. But she was not wearing a strip of clothing. Ha Hau Tinh was shaking.

“You can’t come out.”

Tiet Kha Nhan sighed.

“You know that I always listen to you but now you tell me to get out here and then tell me I can’t. How can I obey that?”

Ha Hau Tinh’s pale face turned purple and he pointed at Yen Thap Tam.

“You…you…you…”

He was not a very good speaker. Now that he was angry and trembling, he couldn’t say a word.

Tiet Kha Nhan:

“It seems like he wants you to ‘get out here’.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Definitely not.”

“No?”

“Because I am not a ***** and I don’t know how to ‘get out here’.”

He smiled.

“Gentleman Ha Hau is a person with manners. If he wants me to come out then he will be polite and us the word ‘please’.”

Ha Hau Tinh’s face turned from purple to deathly white. He cupped his hands together and said:

“Please, please, please, please…”

He said 19 ‘please’ in one breath.

Yen Thap Tam had climbed out of the carriage but he still didn’t stop.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Please what?”

Ha Hau Tinh:

“Please go to hell.”

On the road, a little far from them was a carriage with the symbol of the Ha Hau Main Family on it. A child and an old man was sitting on the seat in front of the carriage looking at Yen Thap Tam. The driver of the carriage was an old man who was thin and small. He had probably been driving for a long time and was probably just as good a driver as a young man. The child had quick hands and legs and appeared to have been trained in martial arts. But they definitely could not help Ha Hau Tinh and so Yen Thap Tam only needed to worry about Ha Hau Tinh. But Hau Hau Tinh was not an easy person to deal with and his weapon was a very powerful one. But Yen Thap Tam was not very worried. He just felt that something was not quite right.

When dealing with Ha Hau Tinh’s attacking projectiles he could use any move in his Doat Menh Thap Tam Swordplay but instead he had another strange thought. If Tao Bang could use Black Raven as target practice then why shouldn’t he use this chance to test the power of Third Young Master’s move? When he had this thought, his sword strike was slow and simple as a gentle breeze and beautiful as the sunset. Ha Hau Tinh’s thousand snake attack was broken under the gentle breeze like when a spring breeze ruffles the leaves of a willow tree or when the snow particles are melted by the sun. Ha Hau Tinh was flung seven or eight feet and landed on his own horse-drawn carriage. Even Yen Thap Tam was shocked. The old man was now taking care of Ha Hau Tinh and the child was staring at Yen Thap Tam, scared. Tiet Kha Nhan sighed, but within this sigh there was a laugh. The sigh was fake but the laughter was genuine. It was a very sweet laugh.

“Your swordplay is even better than I imagined.”

Yen Thap Tam was laughing and sighing at the same time.

“I can’t believe it either.”

His sigh was not fake but his laughter was forced. He knew if he used Doat Menh Thap Tam Swordplay, no move would have such power.

If he did not have the teachings of Mo Dung Thu Dich, how could he have broken that move? Even if he did defeat the Third Young Master, was there a plan behind this? Yen Thap Tam was puzzled and he placed his sword back in it’s sheath. He no longer paid attention to Ha Hau Tinh. But when he looked up, Ha Hau Tinh was standing in front of him, looking at him coldly. Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“What do you want?”

“Please.”

“You still want me to go to hell?”

This time Ha Hau Tinh answered him calmly.

“That move of yours was a world number one move.”

Yen Thap Tam did not deny it. This was not only a strange sentence but a compliment. But when he heard it he didn’t feel happy inside. Because this was not his move.

Ha Hau Tinh:

“I have come here before I want to try that move of yours again.”

“Again?”

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed. That was not a real laugh, nor a forced laugh nor a cold laugh. That laugh was to hide the fact that he was thinking.

This brat was asking to try this move again. If he wasn’t crazy then he must have thought of a way to break it. He didn’t seem crazy. Did he really think of a way to break it? He seemed confident.

Yen Thap Tam made up his mind. He wanted to know if there was another way to break this move. Ha Hau Tinh was waiting for his reply. Yen Thap Tam only said one word.

“Please.”

As soon as he finished, Ha Hau Tinh attacked. Heavenly Snake sword became a thousand fragments in a deadly dance. This seemed like a fake move. Yen Thap Tam realised this but he took no notice. Even if the opponent used a fake move or a real move, this move of Third Young Master could overcome it. This time he used the move more naturally. When he executed the move, as it began to vary a ‘crack’ was heard as Heavenly Snake sword became one again. The sword made one move, a simple, straightforward move but it was a move that aimed for the only weakness in Third Young Master’s move. Yen Thap Tam was truly frightened. This move was the same as the one Yen Thap Tam had performed in front of Mo Dung Thu Dich. Now he was using Third Young Master’s move but Ha Hau Tinh was using his move to kill him. Now that he had began the move, he could not change it. Was he really going to be killed by a move that he had thought of? He did not die.

He knew clearly the weakness of move he was executing and he knew that his opponent’s move was a life-taking one. But when the move of his opponent approached, his move varied again. It was a variation that even he could not imagine. A variation that he did not think of. It was the variation of a sword. It was like a waterfall gushing down. If you look at the waterfall and see a hole in it, you can no longer feel this hole when you place your hand there because the water from above had filled it since then. A crack. Heavenly Sword was broken. Broken into thousands of little scraps. Ha Hau Tinh was thrown away, further than last time. This time the old man looked at him in fear, forgetting to even look after Ha Hau Tinh. This time Tiet Kha Nhan not only laughed but she also clapped her hands in joy. But this time Yen Thap Tam’s heart had sunk, sunk into the coldest, deepest part of the lake. Now he understood. The weakness in Third Young Master’s move was not a real weakness. Now he knew that no one in the world could break this move. Definitely no one. If he wanted to break it then he would die. Tao Bang had gone. He would definitely die. If that move could be broken it would bring fame, if it could not the one to die should be him.

Ha Hau Tinh was still on the ground, unable to get up. Blood leaked from his mouth. The old man and child was scared to the point of immobility. But the horse was still standing steadily. Anyone could see that it was a well trained horse. He wanted to steal that horse. He had to quickly get to the Godly Sword Mountain Manor. Even if he was going to die he had to go. He wasn’t going to let Tao Bang die for him. Because he was a person of jiang hu. People of jiang hu have their own way of thinking. At that moment he heard the horse neigh. A loner was walking out of the forest, coughing continually. He was dressed in rags and his clothes were very dirty. Before, no one saw him. He walked slowly and coughed violently. It seemed as if he did not see the fierce battle that just occurred. It seemed as if he did not see the group of people gathered there. A naked beauty, with half her body extending from a flipped carriage. He did not see. An excellent swordsman with a killing sword in his hand. He did not see. In his eyes there was only one person. The old, thin and small driver of the carriage.

The old driver was so scared that his body curled up. He couldn’t stop trembling. The loner did not stop coughing, he moved towards them and stopped in front of the carriage. The old driver was even more scared. He looked at him, frightened. He had stopped coughing and smiled brightly at the old driver.

“Healthy.”

Old Driver:

“Healthy? What is healthy?”

Loner:

“You healthy?”

“Which part of me is healthy?”

“Every part.”

The old driver laughed forcefully. Before he could speak the loner interrupted.
    “If you had been the one attacking earlier, that person would probably be dead now.”

When he finished his sentence, he continued to cough and walked away slowly. The old driver looked at him in shock. Everyone was looking at him in shock. It seemed as if they didn’t understand what he was saying. Yen Thap Tam seemed to understand something, he wanted to chase after the loner and get a clear explanation. But the loner had disappeared. Even though he walked very slowly, in a flash he had disappeared. Even his coughing could no longer be heard. Tiet Kha Nhan mumbled to herself.

“Strange, this person looks very familiar.”

The old driver also mumbled to himself.

“Strange, what did that person want?

Yen Thap Tam stepped in front of him.

“Even if no one understood what he said, I did.”

Old Driver:

“Oh.”

“Not only do I understand but you do too.”

The old driver was silent, looking at him with rather scared eyes.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Twenty years ago the strongest person from Hong Van Valley was not the current Manor Master Ha Hau Trong Son.”

Old Driver:

“If it is not the venerable master than who was it?”

“His brother, Ha Hau Phi Son.”

“But…”

“But 20 years ago Ha Hau Phi Son suddenly disappeared and even now no one knows of his whereabouts.”

Old driver sighed.

“I’m afraid second master is dead now.”

“Jiang hu believes that he is dead but now I know he is not.”

“Where is second master now?”

“Where?”

He looked into the old driver’s eyes and articulated each word clearly.

“You are Ha Hau Phi Son.”

The night appeared, the wind grew colder. The old man who was curled up suddenly straightened.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Twenty years ago you had an encounter with Doat Menh Thap Tam Swordplay.”

End Chapter Seven

Weird. As the story gets more interesting I am losing my interest to translate. Possibly because I want to just read it and not be hindered by this translating. But if I do that I know that I will never go back and read it again to translate it. Damn.

Great translation Kara! for you. I attempted the translation gig (from VNese to English) and it was harder than I expected. I have a new found respect for all the translators out there. Keep up the good work!
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Really intersting story, Kara...can understand ur temptation to stop translating and just continue reading...... in anycase thanks for the translation so far.. GREAT JOB !!!

thanks alot kara for translating. i hope you continue

Default Chapter Eight

Thank you for all your nice comments. I’m still persevering here.

Chapter Seven Recap:

The night appeared, the wind grew colder. The old man who was curled up suddenly straightened.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Twenty years ago you had an encounter with Doat Menh Thap Tam Swordplay.”

Chapter Eight: Again, I have no idea

He continued his explanation.

“Although know one else knows of the battle between you and my deceased master twenty years ago, I know.”

The old driver clasped his hands tightly together.

Yen Thap Tam:

“You lost that battle. For the past twenty years you have studied Doat Menh Thap Tam Swordplay very carefully with the hope that someday the chance will come for you to beat my master.”

The old driver suddenly sighed.

“It was a pity that he died so early.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because you studied Doat Menh Thap Tam swordplay so carefully, you thought up of that move for Ha Hau Tinh’s earlier.”

He sighed.

“Aside from you, there is no one else in this world that could.”

The old driver did not deny it.

Yen Thap Tam:

“The reason that Ha Hau Tinh is always able to find Tiet Kha Nhan no matter where she hides is because he has you.”

Old driver:

“Oh?”

“The ability of Hoa Diem Than Ung <something something godly eagle> Ha Hau Phi Son to hunt someone down was second to none twenty years ago.”

The old driver said coldly.

“It seems like you know quite a lot of things.”

“True.”

His eyes suddenly shone frighteningly bright.

“Do you know why I suddenly disappeared? Do you know why after I disappeared I became a lowly driver for Ha Hau Tinh?”

“I don’t need to know.” Yen Thap Tam said coldly.

It was true that he did not need to know this because this was someone else’s secret. But it was not that he did not know. The rivalry between brothers, the forbidden love between a sister in law and a younger brother. These are things that often happen in influential families. These things were not specific to the Ha Hau Family. However, influential families like that of the Ha Hau Family had the ability to cover up these scandals from the world’s prying eyes.

Years ago did Ha Hau Phi Son disappear because of his affair with his sister in law? After he disappeared, why did he come back disguised as the carriage driver of the Ha Hau Tinh? Was it because Ha Hau Tinh was the result of that forbidden affair?

Yen Thap Tam did not want to speculate about these things. This was someone else’s private life. He did not need to know the details nor did he ask for them.

The old driver continued to look at him with eyes that were no longer old and tired. Yen Thap Tam did not avoid his eyes. If a person believes that they have done nothing wrong then there is no need for avoidance. There is no need to avoid anything. The old driver suddenly asked a very strange question.

“Now what surname are you using?”

“Yen.”

“You are Yen Thap Tam?”

“Yes.”

“You really are the son of Old Ha?”

“Yes.”

Not only were the questions strange but the answers were also strange. All the questions were pointless. There was no need to answer pointless questions but Yen Thap Tam had no choice but to answer them. Because he knew that they were not pointless questions. The old driver’s next few questions were definitely not pointless.

“If you are the son of that old man then I have to kill you.”

Yen Thap Tam was silent. He understood how the man felt. In jiang hu, a defeat was an insult, a unforgettable insult. Old driver:

“Earlier I wanted to use your swordplay to kill you.”

He sighed deeply.

“But it was unfortunate that Ha Hau Tinh was too inexperienced. The variations in your move were also very brilliant.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“It was not that he was inexperienced, it was more like he was not confident in himself.”

The old driver was quiet. Yen Thap Tam continued:

“I cannot use the move very fluidly, if you had been the one attacking then I would have probably been killed.”

The old driver agreed. That loner’s analysis was very accurate.

“Who was he really?”

“In jiang hu there are many skilled people. If he doesn’t want to reveal his name then why ask for it?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Now…”

Old driver:

“Now it is different.”

“How is it different?”

“Now you have confidence in that move of yours. There is no way I can break it.”

“But at least you could try.”

“There is no need to try.”

“No need?”

“There are some things you don’t need to know and there are some things I don’t need to try.”

He refused to let Yen Thap Tam interrupt. He continued:

“Twenty years ago I lost to your father’s sword. Twenty years later I lost to your sword. There is no need to try.”

Although the words were very ordinary they contained an unexplainable sadness. Yen Thap Tam understood what he was feeling. He was sad not because of the battle twenty years ago but because of the defeat. Because that had been a true defeat. A complete defeat. A defeat that will never be avenged. What would be the point of killing the son of the person who had defeated him? The old driver said slowly.

“Today Ha Hau Tinh has lost. You can now take away anyone from Ha Hau Family.”

The old man was ready to let Tiet Kha Nhan go. He did not want to keep a daughter in law like her.

Yen Thap Tam:

“I don’t want to take anyone away with me.”

Old Driver:

“You really don’t want to?”

“But I really want…”

“Even if you want my head I will give it to you.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed:

“I just want a horse, a really good horse.”

It was truly a good horse. Yen Thap Tam let the horse race wildly. He did not care about the horse that had been chosen from a thousand good horses. He did not care about his health. For the upcoming battle he no longer had any hope. For he knew that no one in this world could defeat that move of the Third Young Master. Definitely no one. Now he could only hope to get to Lake Luc Thuy before Tao Bang.

Lake Luc Thuy was at the foot of Mt Thuy Van. The Godly Sword Mountain Manor was on the mountain near the lake. It was a small town. Most of the people in the town had the surname Ta. Those who wanted to go to the Godly Sword Mountain Manor had to pass through the inspection of Manager Ta. Like most other provinces, this point was called Hanh Hoa Thon. Tieu Tieu Hanh Hoa Thon.

When Yen Thap Tam arrived at Tieu Tieu Hanh Hoa Thon, his horse had fallen. It was fortunate that he had no yet fallen. He rushed in. He wanted to find Manager Ta to see if Tao Bang had arrived yet. He did not need to ask for when he rushed in he saw the answer. The earth shaking answer.

Inside Tieu Tieu Hanh Hoa Thon there was only two people. As Yen Thap Tam rushed in he saw Tao Bang. Tao Bang was still alive. Had he met the Third Young Master? If he was still alive did it mean that the Third Young Master was dead? Yen Thap Tam did not believe it but there was no other choice. Tao Bang was a very impatient person. As soon as he got here he must have rushed to the Godly Sword Manor immediately. He would never sit here and wait. There was only one explanation for a person who rushed into the Godly Sword Mountain Manor and came out alive. That person had defeated the most powerful person in the Godly Sword Mountain Manor.

Did Tao Bang really defeat the Third Young Master? What move did he use to defeat the Third Young Master? Yen Thap Tam really wanted to ask him these questions. But he was too drunk to be asked. He was very drunk, too drunk. Fortunately there was someone else in the place who wasn’t drunk. That person was looking at him, shaking his head and sighing.

“This customer seems to have a very low tolerance for alcohol. He only drank half a bottle and is already drunk.”

Why is a person with a low tolerance so drunk? Is it because he is ecstatic over his victory or is it because he wanted to drink a little before battle to gain some confidence and then accidentally drank too much?

Yen Thap Tam asked:

“Are you Manager Ta?”

The person nodded.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Do you know if this person has seen the Third Young Master?”

Manager Ta shook his head.

“I don’t know.”

“Where is the Third Young Master now?”

“I don’t know.”

Yen Thap Tam said coldly:

“Then what do you know?”

Manager Ta laughed.

“I just know that you are Yen Thap Tam and you want to go to the Godly Sword Mountain Manor.”

It was now Yen Thap Tam’s turn to laugh. The didn’t know anything he needed to know. But he knew all the things he didn’t need to know.

Yen Thap Tam:

“Ok. Can you please take me there?”

Manager Ta:

“Yes.”

The waters of Lake Luc Thuy was a jade green. It was a pity that now it was the end of autumn. The willow trees at the edge of the lake were not green. A lone boat was at the edge in the water.

“I have prepared this boat for you three days earlier.”

They boarded the boat. On the boat there was not only food and wine but also a chess board, a zither, a book and a smooth, shiny stone.

Yen Thap Tam:

“What is this?”

Manager Ta:

“This is a sword stone.”

He smiled and continued to explain.

“I have seen many people board this boat. No one reacts the same as the previous.”

Yen Thap Tam just listened.

“Some start drinking vigorously.”

“They think drinking vigorously can boast your confidence and courage levels.”

He drank a bowl of wine and continued:

“But drinking vigorously sometimes can’t do that.”

Manager Ta agreed immediately.

“Some people drink wine because they like it.”

Yen Thap Tam drank three bowls in quick succession.

Manager Ta:

“Some play the zither, some read and some even play chess with themselves.”

“Doing those things distracts them and can make people feel calmer.”

Manager Ta:

“But the majority who come aboard this boat like to sharpen their sword!”

“Sharpening your sword is another way to calm yourself and it requires no thinking either.”

Manager Ta glanced at Yen Thap Tam’s sword.

“This is a very good sharpening stone.”

Yen Thap Tam laughed.

“This sword of mine is never sharpened by a stone.”

Manager Ta:

“Then how do you sharpen it?”

Yen Thap Tam laughed joylessly.

“I sharpen it with the necks of people. The necks of my enemies.”

The waters of the lake reflected back the sunlight. The image of Mt Thuy Van far away looked like something out of a painting. Inside the boat it was silent for Manager Ta had stopped speaking. His neck was not used for sharpening swords but he could not help following the sword’s movements with his eyes. On the sword there were 13 pearls. This was not a precious sword but a famous sword, a very famous sword.

Yen Thap Tam looked out of the window of the boat, looking at the beautiful scenery. It seemed like he was thinking about something. After a while he turned around and asked:

“You’ve seen the Third Young Master before haven’t you?”

Manager Ta could not deny it.

“Do you know what kind of sword the Third Young Master uses normally?”

He had seen the Third Young Master use his sword once before. However, his attack had been so quick and he had been standing too far away. That was why he could not help but ask the manager. But it seemed like that had been a pointless question for the manager would definitely reply:

“I don’t know.”

But this time he was wrong for the manager thought a little and replied slowly:

“You know about the tournament at Mt Hoa right?”

Naturally Yen Thap Tam knew.

“The sword that the Third Young Master uses is that very sword.”

“The word number one sword?”

Manager Ta nodded and sighed.

“That is a famed sword that is one of its kind in this world.”

He continued.

“There have been many people on this boat and all of them have admired that sword.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Are you the only one who takes guests across the lake?”

“Usually it is I. When we go I usually play chess and drink wine with them.”

“What about when you return?”

“When I return it’s usually by myself.”

“Why?”

“Because they only go. Very few return.”

The afternoon light dimmed as the night approached. The image of the far away mountain was fading into the night. Like a faded painting. Inside the boat it was even quieter. Because Yen Thap Tam was also quiet. Was there a return date for this journey? Suddenly he thought about a lot of things, many of them not worth thinking about. He thought about his childhood, his adolescent friends and the people whom had died under his sword. Out of all those people, how many really deserved to die? He suddenly thought about the first woman he had slept with. At that time he was very young but she had had a lot of experience. To him that was not a particularly interesting memory but now he was thinking about it. He even thought about Tiet Kha Nhan. Did she return to Ha Hau Tinh? Was Ha Ha Tinh willing to accept her back? All these things he shouldn’t be thinking about. He didn’t need to think about them nor did he want to. But now he was thinking about them, his thoughts jumping all over the place. At the point when his thoughts were the most jumbled he saw a person standing by the edge of Lake Luc Thuy.

When a person is thinking jumbled thoughts, it is not easy to notice another person. But at the point where his thoughts were the most jumbled, Yen Thap Tam saw this person.

This person was nothing out of the ordinary. He was middle aged, possibly older. His hair had grey edges and his eyes had the tiredness of those who had grown old. He was dressed simply. Green robes and white boots. It seemed like he was just an ordinary man doing some sight seeing at the end of autumn. Maybe because he was so ordinary, ordinary like the curtain of night that Yen Thap Tam noticed him. Sometimes when a person is so ordinary that capture the attention of others more easily. When Yen Thap Tam looked at him it was like looking at the autumn night. He felt very calm, happy and contented inside without the least bit of fear or worry.

End Chapter Eight.

I've re read some of my translations and i realised that there are a lot of mistakes especially with spelling and with tenses. However i have decided that i will concentrate on translating and then go back and edit them later after i finish. This is because as a previous reader of translations i prefer speed over quality. It already takes me 4 hours to complete this rough translation of one chapter. If i have to edit then i would waste too much time and sometimes i just can't be bothered. So i hope you all can put up with these mistakes. If a mistake is really glaring then please inform me and i will fix it. If it is passable then please let it pass. Thank you.
    Last edited by Kara; 11-28-04 at 01:10 AM.

Arrow Chapter Nine: whatever...

Chapter Eight Recap:

When a person is thinking jumbled thoughts, it is not easy to notice another person. But at the point where his thoughts were the most jumbled, Yen Thap Tam saw this person.

This person was nothing out of the ordinary. He was middle aged, possibly older. His hair had grey edges and his eyes had the tiredness of those who had grown old. He was dressed simply. Green robes and white boots. It seemed like he was just an ordinary man doing some sight seeing at the end of autumn. Maybe because he was so ordinary, ordinary like the curtain of night that Yen Thap Tam noticed him. Sometimes when a person is so ordinary that capture the attention of others more easily. When Yen Thap Tam looked at him it was like looking at the autumn night. He felt very calm, happy and contented inside without the least bit of fear or worry.

Chapter Nine: umm…. <Something> hidden….

When Manager Ta saw this person he was not only surprised but he also looked scared.

Yen Thap Tam could not help from asking:

“Who is that person?”

Manager Ta answered with a question.

“Do you know who is the current master of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Ta Vuong Ton!”

Ta Vuong Ton was not the type of person who was famous for their earth shattering deeds. He was famous because he was the master of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor. Yen Thap Tam knew this but never would have thought that this famous master was so kind looking and easily approachable. Although it did not seem that he had nothing left in him, it did seem that he had reached a point in his life where it was just like an autumn night- quiet and lonely. It seemed as if nothing in this world could touch his heart any longer.

His hands were warm and dry. He clasped Yen Thap Tam’s hands tightly in his and smiled.

“You don’t have to introduce yourself. I know who you are.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“But Senior…”

“Please don’t call me Senior. You are my guest now that you are here.”

Yen Thap Tam did not argue but he did not agree that he was a guest. To have those hands clasped around his made him feel warm inside. But his other hand still held the hilt of his sword tightly.

“My house is near here. We can leisurely walk back.” Ta Vuong Ton said.

He laughed and continued.

“On a such a beautiful day as this to have a companion such as yourself walk and talk with me is a very pleasurable thing.”

Even though the afternoon light had dissipated, the leaves on the mountain still shone brightly. In the night air, the fragrant smell of dry wood lingered from the top of the mountain. Inside the forest the was a small, stone paved road. Yen Thap Tam suddenly felt a feeling of pleasure and peace that he had felt once many years ago. A poem suddenly appeared in his mind.

A worn stone path climbs the cold mountain,
    Hidden in the white clouds my house resides,
    In a carriage, I travel through the forest,
    After March, the mist on the leaves glows pink.

<That’s how I interpreted it but now that I read the following lines I think that the third line is wrong. Damn>

At this moment, was not the scenery like the one depicted in the poem? Was not the person he was walking with him like one from a poem, a painting?

Ta Vuong Ton walked slowly. To him, life was very short but he never hurried nor worried.

As he looked ahead, he could see the grand, ancient Godly Sword Mountain Manor ahead.

“This is the Godly Sword Mountain Manor that was built by my ancestor 200 years ago. To this day, nothing has been changed. Not even a little bit.” Ta Vuong Ton said.

His voice carried many emotions.

“But the people in it have changed. They have changed greatly.”

Yen Thap Tam listened closely. He could hear the emotions in the man’s voice but he was only slightly touched, not moved. Because he knew Ta Vuong Ton had understood something else. People always change so there is no use being emotional about it.

“The person who built this manor was also the first person in this village. I’m sure you know briefly about him.”

Ofcourse Yen Thap Tam knew. Two hundred years ago at the gathering of skilled swordsman at Hoa Son, many had been captivated by this person. At that time, to be able to gain the admiration of so many skilled swordsman, this person must be legendary.

Ta Vuong Ton:

“After our ancestor passed away, we have had many new generations of swordsmen. Though none have achieved the grandeur of our first ancestor, each generation has achieved great deeds in the name of the Godly Sword Mountain Manor.”

He laughed.

“There was no one ordinary like me. I am not worthy of carrying the Ta surname.”

He laughed very naturally and comfortably.

“Because I know I am an unskilled and ordinary person, I was able to live an ordinary and peaceful life.”

Yen Thap Tam could only listen. He had no way of interrupting this old man’s words.

Ta Vuong Ton:

“I have two daughters and three sons. My eldest daughter married a young man who was very skilled. Because of their arrogant pride, they died an early death.”

Yen Thap Tam had already heard this story. First Young Mistress had married a quick swordsman who was amongst jiang hu’s most courageous. It was true that they had died young. They had died on the night of their wedding, ambushed in their own bedroom.

“My second daughter also died early because she was too hesitant. She was in love with my page but she was too shy to tell anyone. My wife and I arranged a marriage with a different person for her and though the wedding day was set, she became ill and died before the day.”

The old man sighed deeply.

“If she had told us we would not have denied her this happiness because my page was also a very talented young man.”

This was the first time he sighed, but it was only a sigh of acceptance not one of sorrow.

Ta Vuong Ton:

“My eldest son was a day dreamer and died when he was very young. My second son went to seek revenge for his eldest sister and brother in law and died in battle.”

Stopping a little, Ta Vuong Ton then continued.

“Those were the unfortunate events of my family and I blame no one for them.”

His voice was very natural.

“Everyone has their own destiny. Some are lucky and some are not. We cannot blame others for our misfortune. In this past years I have gradually come to understand this concept.”

Although he has experienced so much tragedy and sorrow he still can recall them calmly. This point alone makes this man a formidable opponent.

Yen Thap Tam respected him completely for this point alone.

Ta Vuong Ton:

“Now I have thought it through. Perhaps the misfortunes of the Ta Family are due to the karma of the many lives that my ancestors have taken.”

To think of such things is very admirable. But why was he telling this to an outsider? These things should have been family secrets. There was no need to tell them to an outsider.

Did he tell these things to Yen Thap Tam because he viewed Yen Thap Tam as someone who was already dead? Because only a dead person can keep secrets.

Yen Thap Tam knew this but he didn’t let it bother him. Because he had also thought it through. Whatever another person thought of him was of no importance.

Ta Vuong Ton:

“You naturally know that I have another son called Ta Hieu Phong.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I know.”

Ta Vuong Ton:

“It is obvious that he is a very bright child. It seems as if the talent of the entire Ta Family has been concentrated in him.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I know that when he was very young he defeated the renowned Hoa Thieu Khon!”

Ta Vuong Ton:

“Hoa Thieu Khon’s swordplay is not as good as it seems. He was too proud, proud enough to show a weakness and even a little weakness can be lethal.”

This was really good advice and so Yen Thap Tam listened closely.

Ta Vuong Ton laughed.

“Because since the beginning he has never underestimated any opponent, he has always put all of his strength into his fighting and so…”

Even though he did not finish this sentence, Yen Thap Tam understood.

“When a person uses everything they have in a battle, the will definitely win.”

He knew that there was no compassion in the Third Young Master’s sword.

Ta Vuong Ton sighed.

“His biggest mistake was to kill too many people.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“You can’t actually count that as a mistake of his.”

Ta Vuong Ton:

“No?”

“Sometimes he doesn’t want to kill but he has no other choice.”

If I don’t kill them they will kill me.

Yen Thap Tam sighed.

“When a person enters jiang hu, there are many things they have no control over. Killing people is one of them.”

Ta Vuong Ton looked at Yen Thap Tam for a very long time before he slowly said.

“It surprising that you know him so well.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Because I have also had to kill.”

Ta Vuong Ton:

“Do you really want to kill him?”

“Yes.”

“You are very honest.”

“People who kill have to be honest. Those who aren’t often die under another’s sword.”

A person who learns swordplay must be truthful to themselves.

Ta Vuong Ton looked at Yen Thap Tam strangely. Suddenly he said:

“Good! Follow me.”

“Thank you Senior.”

“Thank you Senior.”

This was normally a very ordinary sentence. But in this situation, it was strange that Yen Thap Tam could still use it.

Why did he have to thank him? Because of the understanding between him and this old man or because this man was sending him to his death?

He came here to die anyway.

Night.

As night fell, the Godly Sword Mountain Manor was lit up by candles and torches. The two entered a house that was next to the main entrance. The main entrance was grandly lit with torches while the light in the house was muted.

Everything in the house was covered with a black cloth, magnifying its cold atmosphere.

Why didn’t Ta Vuong Ton receive his guest in the main entrance? Why in this house? Yen Thap Tam did not ask but he felt the need to ask.

Ta Vuong Ton removed a black cloth to reveal a plaque with the golden words ‘the world’s number one sword’.

Ta Vuong Ton:

“Since ancient times, there has been no one whom has had this honour. This plaque has been the pride and shame of the Ta Family for generations.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Shame?”

“Because since our first ancestor died, no one has been deserving of this title.”

“But now there is someone worthy of it.”

Just one person. Third Young Master of the Ta Family!

“This is because the sword that our ancestor used at Mt Hoa Son has been passed down to him.”

Ta Vuong Ton emphasised the point again. “This sword has not been touched since our ancestor died but now it has been passed down to ‘him’.”

Yen Thap Tam understood. Aside from ‘him’ who else was worthy of such a sword?

Ta Vuong Ton:

“Do you want to see this sword?”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Yes. Very much so!”

Another black cloth removed. Upon a wooden stand a sword was placed. The sheath was black. Even though it was very old it was still whole. The hilt colours were faded. The blade was ancient but still sharp and shining.

Ta Vuong Ton was standing in front of the sword as if he was standing in front of the person he admired most. Yen Thap Tam felt the same way. He felt this way even more so than Ta Vuong Ton because he felt that in this world only this sword could kill him!

Ta Vuong Ton suddenly spoke.

“This is not a sword made by a famed sword smith nor is it an antique.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“This is a sword that is one of a kind in this world.”

Ta Vuong Ton agreed.

“Yes.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“But I don’t want to view this sword.”

“I know.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“I want to meet its master. The current master of this sword.”

Ta Vuong Ton:

“And you are facing him now.”

Yen Thap Tam was ‘facing’ a wooden stand. A wooden stand with a sword. Behind the wooden stand was another object covered by a black cloth. A rectangular, long object…

Yen Thap Tam suddenly felt cold, a coldness that travelled from his heart to his feet. He felt apprehensive. He wanted to ask but he was too afraid to ask. He didn’t dare to believe it and he didn’t want to. He wanted to be wrong.

Unfortunately he wasn’t wrong. As the black cloth was removed a coffin appeared. A coffin that had eight words carved on it. Yen Thap Tam only saw the first three. ‘Ta Hieu Phong’….

In the main entrance, the grand lights were very bright but no matter how bright they were they could never light up Yen Thap Tam’s heart. For the light inside him was put out. The light of the sword was gone! The light of the only sword that could kill him.

Ta Hieu Phong had died 17 days ago! Naturally he did not die under Tao Bang’s sword. No one could defeat him! Definitely no one.

The only thing that could defeat Ta Hieu Phong was destiny. Each person has his own destiny. Maybe because Ta Hieu Phong’s destiny was so grand that it had to be so short. He died suddenly but peacefully. In his father’s eyes there were thousands of tears but his voice was still steady.

“I am not too upset. Because he has lived enough. Because his life had meaning. It was not too much of a waste.”

Ta Vuong Ton asked Yen Thap Tam:

“Do you want to live the rest of your life or live the short life that he lived?”

Yen Thap Tam did not answer. He didn’t need to.

“Do you want to be a shooting star or a long burning torch?”

Even though the light of a shooting star was short lived, its brightness was far greater than thousands of torches together.

The main entrance was very bright but Yen Thap Tam choose to walk into the darkness. In the mountain area there was an endless ocean of darkness.

He suddenly asked:

“Before when you told me those stories, was it because you viewed me as a dead person?”

Ofcourse not!

Third Young Master had died. How could he die? Yen Thap Tam turned around and asked:

“Why did you tell me those stories?”

“Because I know you came to die.”

“You knew?”

“I saw the admiration you held for Hieu Phong. You knew you would never beat him.”

He laughed.

“Because I admired your courage. I would never have that courage. Because I am ordinary. And because I am old….”

His voice grew softer until it was just a sigh.

At that moment a sword flashed from the darkness!

One person one sword. The person’s move was strong and that one sword was phenomenally fast!

That person appeared behind Ta Vuong Ton. The sword was also aiming for his back!

When Yen Thap Tam saw it, it was too late to help him…

It seemed as if Ta Vuong Ton did not feel anything for he sighed and bent down to pick up a dry leaf. His movement was slow and it seemed as if he had picked up the leaf on a whim…

His life was like the leaf; dry and wrinkled. But because of it, he had easily dodged the attack that was as quick as lightning!

In a blink of an eye, it was obvious that the sword strike would pierce Ta Vuong Ton’s heart but it had pierced thin air. The difference of only a hair’s breadth!

The person whom had attacked had used all of his strength and he could not draw back his sword. He rolled over the back of Ta Vuong Ton, his sword turning into one that was aiming for Yen Thap Tam’s life! The momentum of the sword strike was still there, it was still enough to take someone’s life!

Yen Thap Tam had no choice but to fight back. His sword left it’s sheath and flashed…

The person rolled and flew back 7 or 8 feet, his pale green face still drunk.

“Tao Bang!”

Yen Thap Tam’s voice carried 3 parts surprise and 7 parts pity.

Tao Bang stared at Yen Thap Tam, in his eyes there was surprise and fear. He wanted to say something but couldn’t say it.

From his vital point, a trickle of blood appeared and he fell.

The autumn wind continued to sigh. Ta Vuong Ton slowly straightened, still holding the dry leaf, as if nothing had happened. In a flash, a person’s life was like a dry leaf breaking into dust. Even though the life of a leaf was short, next year the leaves of the tree will grow back.

But what about humans?

Ta Vuong Ton slowly bent down and placed the leaf on the ground. Yen Thap Tam continued to look at him, his eyes filled with admiration and respect. At this point, he realised that this person was highly skilled at hiding their ability. His martial arts had reached a godly stage, a stage where it had fused with his natural way of being. Because of this, no one had recognised this ability!

When the frost came, no one can see its power. Its invisible ability to freeze lakes and kill people.

“I am but an ordinary person…”

In this world, how many can achieve that level of ‘ordinary’?

Yen Thap Tam did not say a word.

Even though now he understood a lot of things, he still did not say anything. He had learnt how to be silent.

Ta Vuong Ton just casually said one sentence:

“It is late. You should go now.”

Yen Thap Tam:

“Yes.”

End Chapter Nine.

By far the most beautiful chapter yet. Lovely depiction of Ta Vuong Ton. You can get a complete sense of his character without Gu Long explicitly describing him. What a great character. This is one of the reasons why I love Gu Long. I did the translation no justice at all. And I have this feeling that the Vietnamese translation did the original one no justice either. Either way I felt that this was a very flowing and beautiful chapter. Very nice. Ta Hieu Phong’s death was a shocker though. The book is titled Little Sword of the Third Young Master. How can he be dead? Gu Long spends eight and a half chapters building up this character only to tell us now that he died 17 days ago? Truly weird. I can only hope that he’s not really dead. We’ll see. Anyways, wonder what will happen next. Let the next arc begin….

Actually, it’s 3 am now so I think I’ll skip that and go to bed. Enjoy.

great translation, always wanted to read more gu long novels, and its hard since i can only read english. Thank you so much!!!!

as a reader, I just wanna read the story and get a general understanding. I don't care as much for the grammer and spelling. So please feel free to continue at your own pace. Thanks again

Coooool story !!!!
    wonder how exactly Hieu Phong died... heart attack maybe?? ..
    or perhaps he overexerted himself while practising....