Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Warriors from the Shu Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    How did Ding Ying die and what became of the ice princess after the fact?
    Ding Ying died because the evil demon thing took over him and the ice princess sacrificed herself to weld the broken pieces of the two swords that could kill the evil demon. The two have this fate thing where they are destined to meet and fall in love, but yet separate. It happened in their earlier life, as people in the same clans.

I think Steve looks better as the bad guy with red contacts and curly hair than as the good guy. I like teh medicine girl. I thought she would have gone great with Steve's Ding Ying, but the script planned otherwise.

About Lu Pao, he acts weird and does unexpectable things because he was not brought up the normal way, so there is no logic to his actions.

By the way he was brought up, I suspect the first thing that comes into his mind when he is stressed, is KILl KILL KILL, and then he thinks afterwards (thus he tries to kill the baby, then goes to find Ying Nan and save the baby)

He killed his mum because he didn't know she was his mum earlier on, and only saw her as an obstacle to his success. He went really nuts after he found out and trashed the room. He killed his dad because he thought his dad abandoned him, and he killed his teacher because he was such a bastard to him when he brought him up.

I don't agree with him, but I do empathize with him, especially when he dies. I cired heaps at that scene, I can't control myself when babies are involved.

Ying Nan ended up really mucked up after he died, but she became good again. The reason I think she went to such an extent to split up Shi Zhong Yu and Li Yi Qi is that she wants a substitute or LP, but she realises that she already has her baby to accompany her and love her.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

I only saw like 10 episodes on tv and it was alright. Didn't this series come out like three years ago?

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnalyticChick
    Would that be our noble hero Ding Ying and his intended, Yao Chi?
    yes, he plays Ding Ying.

Also, is the really bad guy in black also played by Ma Jing Tao as well?
    yep, same guy, weird hairdo.

Since I haven't actually seen Sammo Hung yet (though his name is prominently in the credits...), I can't say anything as to his level of irritation in this series.
    he is the old man in white rob with the very long eye brows. he's already dead but they have scenes from the past about the history of the evil guy and the other sects.

Seriously - this guy is basically a string of "WTF" moments at this point, you know - why did he rape Ying Nan, why did he kill his mom, why did he kill his dad, why is he trying to kill his teacher, why did he kill Zhui Feng, why is he having delusions of grandeur of uniting the Wulin, why is he so into poisoning everyone, and so on.
    Most importantly, why do I like the character so much? It's getting to be a problem - really.
    He rape Ying Nan because he really like her and wanted her to be his, because he knows that she likes the other guy, Zhong Yu i guess. Lu Pao is angry at his real dad for leaving his mom while she was pregnant so he could be the next leader of that sect; making him an orphan (as far as he knows). he's angry at his Sifu for being a hypocrite-- telling him about doing whatever it takes to achieve the ultimate goal (or something like that i dont remember), while his Sifu quits being the leader of that evil sect and goes away to be a monk, leaving him.. so he's pretty angry about that since his Sifu was like a father figure to him.

I'm more interested in watching the developing plot and story behind Lu Pao's origins, his relationship with Ying Nan/his Sifu/his real Parents/ then the boring story about Ding Ying and Yao Chi or Zhong Yu and the other girl.

Quote Originally Posted by charbydis
    I think Steve looks better as the bad guy with red contacts and curly hair than as the good guy. I like teh medicine girl. I thought she would have gone great with Steve's Ding Ying, but the script planned otherwise.
    Hua Xian with Ding Ying? Personally, I don't think she's perfect enough for his tastes. I mean, compared to the utter selflessness and purity of Yao Chi, Hua Xian just seems too human to be the consort of the great hero Ding Ying.

About Lu Pao, he acts weird and does unexpectable things because he was not brought up the normal way, so there is no logic to his actions.
    "'Whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap." and all that. It takes a village to raise a child, but it takes the irresponsibility, personal grudges, and narrow minded hate of the entire Wulin ruling hierarchy to give rise to someone like Lu Pao.

By the way he was brought up, I suspect the first thing that comes into his mind when he is stressed, is KILl KILL KILL, and then he thinks afterwards (thus he tries to kill the baby, then goes to find Ying Nan and save the baby)
    Um, so generally NOT a good father figure then? In fact, as he is unstable, ruthless and dangerous as hell, probably the antithesis of a good father figure.

Seriously though - how do these Jiang Hu heros and villians manage to have kids without COMPLETELY messing them up during childhood? It really boggles the mind.

Ying Nan ended up really mucked up after he died, but she became good again. The reason I think she went to such an extent to split up Shi Zhong Yu and Li Yi Qi is that she wants a substitute or LP, but she realises that she already has her baby to accompany her and love her.
    Well, Ying Nan is really messed up even when he is alive - in fact he gets a lot of the credit for messing her up. But I understand her desire for a father for her baby. Especially when she's like 18, 19?

However, she probably doesn't want a substitute for LP. Even though they are a couple, he's just not very good for her. On a more basic level, he's not good for any girl that he might find himself "in love" with. Owing to the fact that he doesn't express his emotions like normal people do. And of course his slightly worrying propensity to kill those nearest and dearest to him in the quest for ultimate power.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    I only saw like 10 episodes on tv and it was alright. Didn't this series come out like three years ago?
    2000 I believe. So more like 4 going on 5 years. But that doesn't mean it's message of, well, defeating the manifestation of ultimate evil whenever we encounter it , isn't as relevant for today's audiences.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot
    I'm more interested in watching the developing plot and story behind Lu Pao's origins, his relationship with Ying Nan/his Sifu/his real Parents/ then the boring story about Ding Ying and Yao Chi or Zhong Yu and the other girl.
    That seems to be the general concensus. Or maybe everyone's just talking about Lu Pao because I can't shut up about the character.

Finally, is Nie Yuan in this series? Because the guy who is playng Miao Fei can seriously pass as his twin.

I don't understand what people have against Steve, Vivien and Sammo Hung? I think they did a good job in this series. Sammo Hung was hardly even it in it so how can he be so annoying?? I liked this serise overall, but of course it has flaws just like any other series....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Thanks for answering my questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    I don't understand what people have against Steve, Vivien and Sammo Hung? I think they did a good job in this series. Sammo Hung was hardly even it in it so how can he be so annoying??
    Maybe some people don't like perfect and pure characters because they're too boring?

What kind of role did Sammo have?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I think Sammo Hung was only present in the beginning and he played the same old master character with 'long brows/whiskers' like he did in the 80's movie adaptation of the series called: "Zu warriors from the magic mountain" (Moon Lee was in that one )

I watched a bit of this series, it was ok, the themesong was nice

Does anyone know where I could get the trailer to the series?

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    I don't understand what people have against Steve, Vivien and Sammo Hung? I think they did a good job in this series. Sammo Hung was hardly even it in it so how can he be so annoying?? I liked this serise overall, but of course it has flaws just like any other series....
    Personally, I have nothing against Steve, Vivien and/or Sammo. Speaking specifically to Steve and Vivien, I think they did a good job portraying their characters. It's just that I don't particularily like their characters of Ding Ying or Yao Chi. As Lady Zhuge brought up, I am one of these people who don't like my series characters pure and noble and perfect. Frankly, I think it makes dull television. And since this is a series in which no one really gets hurt (erm, hopefully...), I can support evil and the seriously charming manifestation of said evil without feeling too guilty.

As I STILL haven't seen Sammo yet, I really can't say anything about him. But in the meta entertainment universe, I really liked Project A and Meals on Wheels and his short lived "Martial Law".

Sammo Hung was only it in at the beginning as the master of the 3 sects and the owner of the 2 swords. He will appear again at the end to help them fight against the main villians and then take the swords back. So he is pretty much just a guest star....
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

I also liked the charater of Lu Pao. Interesting character. The only reason why I watched the series. I didn't like the Steve Ma/vivien Chen part. Boring!!!! The guy who played Lu Pao is CHin Siu Ho. He played in Mr. Vampire, Fist of Legend with Jet Li, Tai Chi Master w/ Jet Li(This one he plays evil character, and I like him in here too).
    His Tvb series are Mystery of the Sabre, and Unnatural Born Killer. Haven't seen him lately though.
    "If we are not ashamed to think, we should not be ashamed to say it"
    Marcus T. Cicero

When this series was being broadcasted, I remember hearing that Chin Siu Ho was originally asked to play the main protagonist in this series, but because he had to go to court for sexual misconduct in a shopping centre, he refused it, and later when the trial finished, he was asked to play Lu Pao.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Um, how many episodes is this series supposed to be? Because the station just finished episode 36, and has moved onto a Korean drama. Isn't there supposed to be another 4 episodes in this series?

So basically, they've just killed Lu Pao - and a more cursory effort I have NEVER seen in the eradication of ultimate evil. And Li Yi Qi and Shi Zhong Yu are like "Shi fu, Shi Jie!." Cause, you know, I think they might be dead at this point - operative word being "think" as I haven't really seen much to either effect . And then it fades to black and ends.

In his "final fight" with Ding Ying, Lu Pao did knock him into the sea. Did that kill him? Is our hero dead now? I mean, if you just killed the protagonist, can we at LEAST have a reaction shot? Also, it's over? No black robed evil? No Sammo Hung at the end? What was up with the demon/Ding Ying subplot? I think they just totally cut that out. Seriously, the editing in this show, or at least the edition I saw, sucked. I was SO confused half the time at the end. Ding Ying bore the brunt of this confusion, going from noble righteous hero to shiftless drunk without even a transition scene. Again I ask - what?

So the end, as I understand it, is this. Ding Ying, for reasons unbeknownst to me, has multiple personality syndrome which means that he is sometimes his noble self and sometimes lying drunk in the street and sometimes grieving over Yao Chi's bed (what happened to her, by the by? They cut that out as well...) and sometimes wanting to kill Lu Pao. For no apparent reason. And his hair changes as well, going from tightly controlled bun to wild mess, likewise without warning.

So in the plot, they are trying to forge the swords. They can't. No one can. SZY marries LYQ in the midst of it. Suddenly Ying Nan comes in (um, how far away is Ying Shan from Nan Hai again?) and tells SZY she's carrying his child. Nothing happens. They somehow manage to forge the sword, even though the green sword is missing a piece.

Cut to Ding Ying killing various Ying Shan extras. Intersect a Ying Nan/Lu Pao interlude. Incidentally, I didn't think their relationship could get any wierder, but it somehow does. At the end as well, Lu Pao is just all over the place. So now he wants the kid? Um, what exactly is he going to do with a baby though? Also, what about his Wulin aspirations? Qun Lun and Ice Palace totally fall off the map after Xiao Yue and then Zhui Feng die. Wasn't he planning to take them over or something like that.

Anyways, Ding Ying fights with Lu Pao for about two minutes. Note the UTTER lack of dialouge that usually accompanies these things. It's the final fight in the series for crying out oud.

So where was I? Right - so LP and DY are fighting. Lu Pao kills Ding Ying - I think. Then the wonder twins/couple come in and try to kill him. They fail, but then Ying Nan puts in that last flake of the sword and then he (Lu Pao) blows up. Fin.

Aha... Did they just run out of money at the end or what?

Also, they just totally skirted the whole Ying Nan's kid business. Since, you know, she has told SZY it was his (which is patently is not, and which Li Yi Qi KNOWS)- but then NOTHING comes of it. Seriously, what are they going to do now?

Sigh. This show was so good and then this random editing totally messed up the end. Don't mention feeling bad for Lu Pao when he dies, I could have blinked and missed it. So much buildup, so anticlimactic at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiah
    I also liked the charater of Lu Pao. Interesting character. The only reason why I watched the series. I didn't like the Steve Ma/vivien Chen part. Boring!!!!
    Come for the righetousness - stay for the evil.
    Or not so much evil, as just extreme repressed, entirely without a moral compass, and posessing the emotional intelligence of a piece of wood. And, of course, a perception that the whole world is in his debt and that debt must be payed back in blood. And an inability to forgive or move on. And a nasty habit of killing everyone in the series.
    ...You know what. At this point, evil is probably the word we are looking for. But interesting too!

Quote Originally Posted by charbys
    When this series was being broadcasted, I remember hearing that Chin Siu Ho was originally asked to play the main protagonist in this series, but because he had to go to court for sexual misconduct in a shopping centre, he refused it, and later when the trial finished, he was asked to play Lu Pao.
    Really? That's, um, certainly something. Sexual misconduct eh? AND he got caught?
    But if he had to go to trial, how would he be able to participate in ANY series, as either the protagonist or antagonist. It's not as if all of Lu Pao's scene are clustered at the end. Maybe they just didn't want a Ding Ying that was standing trial for, what exactly, by the by?

Anyways, I don't think Lu Pao would have been as fun if he and Ma Jing Tao had traded roles. So that's something good that came of it, at least.

I watched this a while ago as i bought the set from yesasia. It was a waste of money i think. It was soooo draggy and repititive.

That character Ying Nan played was so annoying. And that weepy Princess.... I could have strangled her. ¬_¬"

That i managed to watch the whole thing was a miracle since it was such a snorefest.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time