Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding Neverland

Cool Finding Neverland

This is a recently released film starring Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet and it's about how author J.M. Barrie was inspired to write the imaginative fairy tale we know as "Peter Pan". I hope to watch this very soon. Has anyone here seen this movie yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Sections/Newsweek/Components/Photos/mag/041101/041023_Neverland_hd.hmedium.jpg')
    Pic courtesy of msnbc

Trailers and Clips
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    This is a recently released film starring Johnny Depp and Kate Winslet and it's about how author J.M. Barrie was inspired to write the imaginative fairy tale we know as "Peter Pan". I hope to watch this very soon. Has anyone here seen this movie yet? If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Trailers and Clips

I haven't seen this movie yet, but it's been receiving great reviews from prestigious movie critics. i am highly looking forward to watching this once i find the time to do so, especially since johnny depp supposedly delivers the performance of his life (he's already a fantastic actor to begin with). this is definitely in my list of to watch movies (there are only two right now, the other one is oceans 12).
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

i watched it the day it came out in theaters for me and i really liked it. the story was great. very inspiring n touching. quite sad too. but johnny did have a great performance...like he always does. and he did a great job with his scottish accent too. lol. but there have been ppl that sed it was boring at parts and not too good. so i think it depends on the person and their taste really.

I just saw this movie and really enjoyed it. I can understand how some people might think it's boring at certain parts if make-believe games are not something they would find appealing, though. Johnny Depp fit the role of James M. Barrie very well and he had the Scottish accent down pat. Bravo, Johnny! On top of looking incredibly hot and definitely drool-worthy, he always does a wonderfully convincing job of acting, so it's difficult to say if this is indeed his "best" performance. He was an absolute natural with the kids and the dog, too. The kid who played Peter reminded me a bit of a smaller version of Haley Joel Osment. Kate's character has another snooty mother in this movie, but at least she eventually saw the error of her ways (kind of) and did appear to inspire one of the more interesting characters in "Peter Pan".

"Finding Neverland" did a nice job of weaving in and out of parallel scenes and balancing out the various emotions (like, for instance, when it cut back and forth between the opening night of "Peter Pan" where everyone was laughing and having a good time and Johnny/James with Kate/Sylvia back at the latter's house having to face something much more serious and real).
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 11-29-04 at 09:15 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Do you guys think that this movie could get any oscars?

i can't wait to see this film! but it won't be released where i live until January 05.

i positively love Johnny! a great actor with a great personality and view on life.
    and the reason why he works well with kids? he has 2 of his own!

Quote Originally Posted by MsPowerbomb
    Do you guys think that this movie could get any oscars?
    I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Johnny Depp nominated and win for his role as J.M Barrie. I've always felt that, like Jim Carrey, he's underrated and underappreciated by the Academy.

Quote Originally Posted by Krystal_Klear
    i positively love Johnny! a great actor with a great personality and view on life.
    Totally!

Yep, he's a really good father too.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

i can't wait to see this film! but it won't be released where i live until January 05.

yaY! for ur loving johnny that is. hahaha. and omG...that sux that it doesnt kum ouT till january for you! seems so far away.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Johnny Depp nominated and win for his role as J.M Barrie. I've always felt that, like Jim Carrey, he's underrated and underappreciated by the Academy.
    yeaH! i hope hes nominated for an oscar. i felt that he should've won the oscar last yr...cuz his performance as captain jack sparrow was soOoo goOD!
    but it seems the ppl with dramatic-ish roles and not comedy-ish roles always win. hahha.

Yep, he's a really good father too.
    oOO..i kno! i think its so sweet how he plays barbies with his daughter. lol. and when she makes him those kiddy bracelets...he wears them all the time!
    such a great father. and everytime he talks about his children in interviews...u kan just tell he loves them soOo much. such a great guy. =D

Just a off the wall questions

is Depp and Winslet a couple? in real life?
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    is Depp and Winslet a couple? in real life?
    No. Johnny Depp has been in a steady relationship with Vanessa Paradis for quite awhile now. The couple reside in France and have two children, a girl and a boy.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

so was their a love relationship with barrie and sylvia? or was it just an inspirational thingy?

Quote Originally Posted by kittyknguyen
    so was their a love relationship with barrie and sylvia? or was it just an inspirational thingy?
    ****SPOILERS****

There were hints of it in the film and I think there would definitely have been had Sylvia not died, but as it happened, it was more of an inspirational experience than anything else.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I went see it with my cousin, pal, & co-worker on Thanksgiving. I thought it was a good movie, however my friend said that she liked it but some of the scenes she didn't like. Like how it builds us up with suspense & then it stops. I must admit with that. I was so intrigue by Depp's character's imagination & the "Neverland" scenes. However it just comes & goes. Tisk tisk. But other than that it was a good movie.

Quote Originally Posted by xsMiLeE_sTaRzx
    yeaH! i hope hes nominated for an oscar. i felt that he should've won the oscar last yr...cuz his performance as captain jack sparrow was soOoo goOD!
    but it seems the ppl with dramatic-ish roles and not comedy-ish roles always win. hahha.
    yeah i know! comedic roles are always downplayed compared to serious roles. it takes just as much acting skill to play funny roles as serious roles.
    which explains why people like Jim Carey and even Robin Willams are under-rated. they deserve more nominations than they get.

ah! when will January finally arrive? i'm busting to see the film!

Yay for Johnny and "Finding Neverland"!!! The movie received 5 Golden Globe nominations, including Johnny's best actor in a drama category.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Don't hate me for saying this. The Academy hasn't treated JC unfairly at all in my opinion. He is forever that annoying guy whose facial expressions are way over the top.

And yes, I have watched his "serious" works, such as "The Truman Show" and "The Majestic". He is still annoying.

As far as Johnny Depp is concerned, I'm with you. Hopefully he'll be appreciated more.

But seriously speaking, what other movie should Johnny Depp have been nominated for? Ed Wood? Donnie Brasco? Benny and Joon? Once Upon a Time in Mexico? Don Juan DeMarco? Fearing and Loathing in Las Vegas? Nick of Time? Blow? They are good movies in general, but... hardly excellent or Oscar material. I like Johnny Depp too, but you can't blame Oscar for not nominating him when he didn't make that many truly standout movies. He was underrated because he had a knack of getting in movies that turn out to be medicore despite of his talents. Now he's made some standout movies like Chocolat, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Finding Neverland... he's getting recognized. It's not the Academy's fault.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    But seriously speaking, what other movie should Johnny Depp have been nominated for? ... Donnie Brasco? Benny and Joon? ... Fearing and Loathing in Las Vegas?
    I though those movies were quite good. DOn't forget Edward Scissor Hands
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by realdeal
    Don't hate me for saying this. The Academy hasn't treated JC unfairly at all in my opinion. He is forever that annoying guy whose facial expressions are way over the top.

And yes, I have watched his "serious" works, such as "The Truman Show" and "The Majestic". He is still annoying.
    I must hate you now because you've done the unforgivable: disagreed with me.

Seriously though, I can understand how Jim Carrey's humor can be annoying to some people. He walks a very fine line between funny and annoying. However, while he falls on the annoying side for you, he falls on the funny side for me, and IMO, it takes just as much talent (if not more in some cases) to go all out to make people laugh as it does play a serious drama role well.

Quote Originally Posted by JigSta
    I though those movies were quite good. DOn't forget Edward Scissor Hands
    I really enjoyed "Edward Scissorhands" and Johnny was awesome. "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" was a quality film as well, even though Johnny was probably outshined by Leo's performance. "Sleepy Hollow" rocked too.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 12-22-04 at 01:08 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I must hate you now because you've done the unforgivable: disagreed with me.

Ha, I really like your response (no sarcasm intended). Think I'm gonna steal it when I see others disagree with me.

On a different note, I'm not the only one having done the unforgivable. Moin doesn't think Johnny needs better recognition. (At least not by the Academy.) Do something, Lady Zhuge.

Seriously though, I can understand how Jim Carrey's humor can be annoying to some people. He walks a very fine line between funny and annoying. However, while he falls on the annoying side for you, he falls on the funny side for me, and IMO, it takes just as much talent (if not more in some cases) to go all out to make people laugh as it does play a serious drama role well.
    I may be biased, but I've seen many of his interviews, and he always acts the same way as if he's still playing that role in "The Mask". That twisted face, those exaggerated expressions... I have goose bumps every single time, in a bad way.

But what you said was very fair. The line between funny and annoying is not an easy one. He manages to annoy me, while he successfully impresses you. Different people do have different opinions, and that's totally cool.