Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Yeung Gor - The Ultimate Swordsman

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    It is sword skill. It's like HL18 palm, abundant in power. It's the skill of YG that can use the sword in such manner.

You asked, can YG beat LHC if he lost his internal energy? You can't really ask that question because you are trying to take away YG's essense in his skill. It's like saying can Sad Palms be effective if YG wasn't sad. The essense behind an art is what makes the art special. You can't seperate the two. Don't forget, YG knows more than just Dugu's sword skill, he also know Jade flute sword technique, Wong Chong Yeung's swordplay, as well as Jade Maiden Swordplay.

Regarding your comment that any great can practice the wooden sword to the level of YG shouldnt be considered since they have not done so. Any fighter can potentially learn another persons art but we're discussing what has been establish as fact but not assumptions.
    now u contradict urself, you used "the ultimate swordman" as the title. Again, you emphasized that no one can beat YG in sword fight. Does it mean that we only count the sword skill ?
    anyway, u right , YG is far more powerful than anybody. he definitely kicks his opponents' asses no matter who they are. ( I am tired )
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Dude... give it up.

I mean YG is great but NOT that great compared to other prodigies like DY, XF, XZ, GJ, ZSF, etc.
    Actually if you compare YG to them, How could you not say he's not as great as them? YG worked hard for his martial arts achievements. At age little over 30, he's practically at the level of the Greats in ROCH. He learned Dugu skill with no book just concepts and practice with the guide of the condor. He invented Sad Palms on his own, most of the fighters you listed didn't invent their own skills.

I think a stronger case can be made that YG is greater. Of course I'll never convince you of that, since you had YG losing to XF in 3 stances.

Actually if you compare YG to them, How could you not say he's not as great as them? YG worked hard for his martial arts achievements. At age little over 30, he's practically at the level of the Greats in ROCH. He learned Dugu skill with no book just concepts and practice with the guide of the condor. He invented Sad Palms on his own, most of the fighters you listed didn't invent their own skills.
    We had this discussion in the past. Being an inventor DOES NOT automatically make you a better or greater Martial Artist. Maybe better and greater as an Inventor, yes. In terms of creativity, yes. But it still doesn't mean a thing.

I think a stronger case can be made that YG is greater. Of course I'll never convince you of that, since you had YG losing to XF in 3 stances.
    Wrong again, the Greatest Martial Artist (NOT the strongest, NOT the most powerful, NOT the most intellegent, NOT the fastest, But the OVERALL BEST) has been said by Jin Yong himself to be Zhang San Feng
    Last edited by Temujin; 11-30-04 at 11:28 PM.

I posted the fishing pic for a reason and that is to discourage anyone from replying. Theres no point, its a dig and everyone will get fired up and end up like the fish, YeungGor laid the bait and everybody went to have a go.

But no one can resist having a go, can they? Me included.

just one comment, a small nibble if I may. The sword to palm interchanging idea is the most stupid one i've come across yet. YG has one arm. He's already at a disadvantage fighting a person with 2 and you want him to switch between using his sword one moment then his palms another? Oh yeah right, I can imagine it now, match palms with XF, reaches to his back for the bad *** sword while XF stands there and lets him do it. Great but nvm. Goes for a few slashes then decides to match palms again so will he chuck his weapon or put it back? Chucking will most probably mean he won't get a chance at it again and putting it back mean XF stands there again waiting for him to do it. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ToOn99
    now u contradict urself, you used "the ultimate swordman" as the title. Again, you emphasized that no one can beat YG in sword fight. Does it mean that we only count the sword skill ?
    Power in the sword move is also one of the sword skill too, in my opinion. However, I never view YG is the true nor best swordman. The true swordman have some kind of character, the sword intention, and give a bit of different feeling when thinking or reading about him.

For me, without any kind of analytical judgement, my feeling of the true swordman go toward Feng Qing Yang from SOD (my previous spelling is Feng Ching Yang). My feeling is that he himself is a sword. Of course, it is just purely my feeling.

BTW, I feel ZSF like a cloud.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng
    The sword to palm interchanging idea is the most stupid one i've come across yet.
    I agree with this. The excellent swordman once start using a sword with keeping using it until his job is done (nevertheless, he can kick, sweep, etc. but his hand always keep using the sword).

Feng Qing Yang from SOD (my previous spelling is Feng Ching Yang).
    Same thing, just in Mandarin instead.

As for this topic... I can't understand the current rush of hero-worship taken to the extreme.

This is what I call a fishing thread, you know winding ppl up and getting them all fired up. Unless of course YeungGor really believes all his tripes in which case he's deluded.

We had this discussion in the past. Being an investor DOES NOT automatically make you a better or greater Martial Artist. Maybe better and greater as an Inventor, yes. In terms of creativity, yes. But it still doesn't mean a thing.
    Well, if you look at all the examples that JY provides, almost all the fighters who were the inventors of their arts are one of the greatest of fighters in their era. Zhang San Feng was an inventor, he invented Taichi. There are tons of other examples that support fighters who has the creativity to come up with their own arts proved to be superior fighters. Huang Shang inventor of 9 ying is another example. and the list goes on... take time to think about it, you will notice it. So to say there isn't a correlation between fighting talent and creativity isn't right.

Wrong again, the Greatest Martial Artist (NOT the strongest, NOT the most powerful, NOT the most intellegent, NOT the fastest, But the OVERALL BEST) has been said by Jin Yong himself to be Zhang San Feng
    You misread my post here. I didnt say YG was the "Greatest". You were comparing YG to not just ZSF but XZ, DY, XF, GJ and stated YG isn't as great as them. To that I said, YG is as great as them, and actually there is a stronger case that he can be "greater" (comparing to some of them). ZSF has a great case to be the Greatest, possibly is since you said JY said so himself. I won't disagree here. But comparing to the rest, YG has a good case, esp against XZ and DY. XZ received his martial arts achievements as gifts, hardly work for it. DY talent isn't great and the novel illustrated so but he has superior skills which allows him to beat people and makes mistakes. XF and GJ, I respect greatly because they are similar to YG, talent wise and they earned their skills and reputation.

So Temujin, I feel YG has been greatly underrated (esp by you :P ) and I'm offering a case where he can be spoke of along the lines of the greats you mentioned above.

DY talent isn't great and the novel illustrated so...
    What gave you this idea?

I posted the fishing pic for a reason and that is to discourage anyone from replying. Theres no point, its a dig and everyone will get fired up and end up like the fish, YeungGor laid the bait and everybody went to have a go.

But no one can resist having a go, can they? Me included.

just one comment, a small nibble if I may. The sword to palm interchanging idea is the most stupid one i've come across yet. YG has one arm. He's already at a disadvantage fighting a person with 2 and you want him to switch between using his sword one moment then his palms another? Oh yeah right, I can imagine it now, match palms with XF, reaches to his back for the bad *** sword while XF stands there and lets him do it. Great but nvm. Goes for a few slashes then decides to match palms again so will he chuck his weapon or put it back? Chucking will most probably mean he won't get a chance at it again and putting it back mean XF stands there again waiting for him to do it. Nice.
    Yup, I knew you couldn't resist getting into this discussion.

Regarding the interchanging idea. Do you know that YG has done so against GWM? YG may have one arm, but remember he has the ability to move objects with his chi, he can interchange quite fast. Even if he doesnt use his chi, he's a swordsman, he can unsheath his sword as fast as anyone. It's also about timing, YG doesn't necessarily have to interchange after every HL18 palm and sad palm exchange, he can follow it with another stance of the Melancholic Sad Palms to confuse XF. So XF does not know when he'll switch from palm to sword, and as I pointed out, it really doesnt take long to unsheath a sword, he can shoot a Divine Snap at XF for distraction, switch to sword and come at him that way. There are simply alot of ways YG can interchange in all the skills he knows.

DY talent isn't great and the novel illustrated so but he has superior skills which allows him to beat people and makes mistakes. .
    actually he is one of the most talented characters in JY's world.

What gave you this idea?
    His clumsyness and his sometimes functional 6MSG and sometimes not. Although he had learn it in the end, talentwise he's just not in the league of say XF, GJ, and YG.

His clumsyness and his sometimes functional 6MSG and sometimes not. Although he had learn it in the end, talentwise he's just not in the league of say XF, GJ, and YG.
    that's because he never learned any martial arts till he found the manuscripts. Considering he could reach that level within couples of months, that must be something.

Quote Originally Posted by ToOn99
    that's because he never learned any martial arts till he found the manuscripts. Considering he could reach that level within couples of months, that must be something.
    He has talent no doubt. That I agree.

Being a swordsman or if you're using a sword as your main attacking weapon, you wouldn't be sheathing/unsheathing it in a fight. Especially against greats level or higher fighters. If YG had another arm he would of course complement his sword attacks with palms. Its just plain not smart to **** around with your weapon no matter how good you are. Its usually either, fighter uses weapon until he loses it or decides not to and continues unarmed or fighter engages the enemy in unarmed combat till he decides to up the ante and bring in his weapon.

Could you provide an excerpt of the part you say YG interchanged palms and swords attack against GWM?

from TVB's version of ROCH probably

Being a swordsman or if you're using a sword as your main attacking weapon, you wouldn't be sheathing/unsheathing it in a fight. Especially against greats level or higher fighters. If YG had another arm he would of course complement his sword attacks with palms. Its just plain not smart to **** around with your weapon no matter how good you are. Its usually either, fighter uses weapon until he loses it or decides not to and continues unarmed or fighter engages the enemy in unarmed combat till he decides to up the ante and bring in his weapon.

Could you provide an excerpt of the part you say YG interchanged palms and swords attack against GWM?
    I agree that switching between sword and palm esp when YG has only one arm is generally a bad idea. But YG's style as portray by JY to be against martial arts norm or theories. It's because YG has only one arm he develop such a weird style such as his Sad Palms.

Here is the example from the novel where he switch between sword and palm in the fight with GWM:

"Yang Guo put his sword back into his girdle and used his palm to intercept that blow from the Imperial Priest. When the two huge forces collided, both of them rocked about and the wooden ladder shook a few times like it was going to break. Both of them were shocked and praised the opponent:"I haven't seen him for 16 years, I never imagined his internal power would have increased this much."

Now you believe me, XF? :P
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 12-01-04 at 01:00 AM.

Nope, thats just what I said which is YG started off with weapons then ditched it and went unarmed. Your idea (the beginning one) is him constantly/periodically switching between the 2 in the middle of the fight which is stupid. And YG being a queer/strange or possibly gay dude doesn't change the fact that its a stupid idea.

Nope, thats just what I said which is YG started off with weapons then ditched it and went unarmed. Your idea (the beginning one) is him constantly/periodically switching between the 2 in the middle of the fight which is stupid. And YG being a queer/strange or possibly gay dude doesn't change the fact that its a stupid idea.
    Don't lose your cool now. I know I got you there with my example in the novel.
    Since you still doubt that YG switch during the fight. Here is the more of the fight which demonstrate that he indeed switch back to sword after switching to palm.

"Yang Guo put his sword back into his girdle and used his palm to intercept that blow from the Imperial Priest. When the two huge forces collided, both of them rocked about and the wooden ladder shook a few times like it was going to break. Both of them were shocked and praised the opponent:"I haven't seen him for 16 years, I never imagined his internal power would have increased this much.

Yang Guo saw that the situation was dire and would not allow him to compete palm strenghs at the ladder again. He took out his sword again and attacked the Imperial Priest with stabbing, slicing the leg palms. The Imperial Priest was standing above and if he used his wheels to fight he would have to bend over and that would bring himself in a disadvantage. Furthermore his wheels were shorter compared to the sword, so he turned around and wanted to go up the platform again.Yang Guo raised his sword and attacked him ferociously in the back, every stance was as quick as lightning. The Imperial Priest did not turn around, and used his ears to determine the attacked positions. He used his wheel to block every stance, it was like he had eyes in the back of his head."

XF, no need to reply again. I know you dont like YG and strongely believe he is nothing compare to XF. No need to call him queer/gay though. Even if JY were to say YG is superior to XF you probably would reject and not accept it. But clearly you can see that YG switch between sword and palm and sword again.. no buts about it.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 12-01-04 at 01:16 AM.

actually, JY usually acknowledge GY and XF as the most memoriable and admirable and (can i use the word: superiable? ) more superior than most of his characters

the most charming goes to Ling Hu Chong and the most adorable goes to Duan Yu

now i'm gonna get myself in all sort vof hells, aren't i?
    Last edited by TuToo; 12-01-04 at 01:51 AM.
    i.am.2too.