Thread: Vicki Zhao Wei (赵薇)

oh thx bio for the pic...
    haha.. vicki's t-shirt is very cute :P

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    in the motor show picture, her face looks a little chubby? water retention perhaps, but she's pretty all the same.
    Well, Vicki was a little chubby towards the beginning of her career...she's lost a lot of weight. That's a cute t-shirt in that pic, bio.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

vicki looks chubbier with the hairstyle.. it's so cute!

Maybe Vicki's new hair cut and weight is for soon to be film movie "Guang" aka Light Vicki is too busy with school and upcoming movie, she unable to particiapte in 24th Annual Asia Pacific Film Festival as well as Golden Horse Award
    Beneath the rule of men entirely great,
    The pen is mightier than the sword.
    Edward Bulwer-Lytton, Richelieu
    English dramatist, novelist, & politician (1803 - 1873)

Quote Originally Posted by bio
    Maybe Vicki's new hair cut and weight is for soon to be film movie "Guang" aka Light Vicki is too busy with school and upcoming movie, she unable to particiapte in 24th Annual Asia Pacific Film Festival as well as Golden Horse Award
    I heard Vicki is enjoying her school life...so if she is happy than thats good~

Aww too bad she can't go...oh well, I wasn't oging to be there either. But I wish her good luck at the Golden Horse Awards!

Does anyone know what kind of character Vicki plays in "Guang"? Any synopsis of the film? I don't think her hair is for the new film, since she could just wear a wig, but her weight might be. I think she looks cute with a couple more pounds compared to back in MIP.
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Vicki at the concert for AIDS Awareness
    SOURCE NETFAMILY

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cctv.com/tvguide/special/C16899/20061122/images/102679_06500.jpg')
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.cctv.com/tvguide/special/C16899/20061122/images/102679_05500.jpg')

October 11 pictures it seem like Vicki's hairstyle does make her appears chubbier The pix below is taken at a concert on October 11, 2006
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.netfamily8787.com/img/uploaded/img2006-11-25-05916.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.netfamily8787.com/img/uploaded/img2006-11-25-109.jpg')

Oooh thanks for posting bio. I think she looks really nice in those October pics...it's great she's dedicated to a cause like AIDS awareness.

I think her hairstyle makes her face look chubbier, but she's pretty thin now overall.

Vicki Zhao - China's Multi-Talented Starlet
    9th August 2006, 10:57 GMT

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.radio86.co.uk/system/files/images/Vicki_0.img_assist_custom.jpg')
    [Click the image for a bigger view]Vicki Zhao is one of China's most popular stars.

Zhao Wei, also known as Vicki Zhao, is one of China's brightest young stars. The thirty-year-old singer has starred in numerous movies and recorded six solo albums. The winner of all the most coveted awards of the industry in her home country is now looking for her big break on the international movie scene.

Zhao was born and raised in Wuhu, in the Anhui Province of China but studied in Beijing. The daughter of an appliance designer and a teacher was taught the importance of getting an education and in 2000, Zhao graduated from the Faculty of Acting of the Beijing Film Academy. While Zhao was still studying, she took on the television role of Little Swallow in a series called Princess Pearl, which later won her the award for Best Actress.

Glorious career

In 1999, Vicki Zhao won the Golden Eagle Awards (Mainland China's Emmy) for Best Actress for her performance on the series Princess Pearl. With this accomplishment she also made her mark as the youngest actress ever to receive that honor. The same year, Zhao also made her debut in the music industry and released her first album titled "Swallow."

Zhao also continued her acting career starring in a number of successful television series and movies. In 2004, she won the award for the Most Popular Actress at the 11th Beijing Student Film Festival for her performance in the movie "Warriors of Heaven and Earth," even though she only had a 25-line dialog in the entire movie.

2005 proved to be a successful year for Zhao after she won the Best Actress award at the Shanghai International Film Festival and the Huabiao Award (highest governmental award in the film industry). Both were for her performance in "A Time to Love." At the same time she was ranked number 4 on Forbes' 2005 List of Top Chinese Celebrities. Her music career has been highlighted by her victories at the Channel V Chinese Music Award in 2006 for Most Popular Female Artist and Most Popular Music Video for her music video "Shangguan Yan and I."

The four albums that Zhao Wei released in 1999 and 2000, sold a total of more than 3,700,000 copies in Asia within two years. In November 2004, her new album "Piao" sold more than 300,000 copies in only 10 days in mainland China. Her sixth album, "Double," broke "Piaos'" record release in July 2005.

Behind the mask

In an interview with Time Asia, Zhao confesses to having thought she could never become an actress because, in her opinion, they were supposed to be extraordinarily beautiful and she found herself to be "just" ordinary. No matter how Vicki Zhao defines herself, her down-to-earth personality, undeniable beauty and irresistible charm make her appealing to a wide audience.

For her entrance exam into the Beijing Film Academy, Zhao played the role of a customer who is treated rudely upon returning goods to a store. Zhao burst into tears and was actually praised for it because, according to her, being able to cry at any time is considered a rare skill.

Zhao studied under the famous director Xie Jin, who cast her in his movie "Penitentiary Angel," in which Zhao's performance, in her own words, left something to be desired. After this Zhao was cast as Little Swallow in the television series Princess Pearl. Zhao reveals that working on the show was very hard with film session around the clock. Looking back Zhao feels that she was being worked too hard, but being young, she did not revolt.

After receiving recognition for her performance as Little Swallow, Zhao thought that she had gone career-wise as far as she could on Chinese television. The young actress went to work in Hong Kong.

One movie later the comedy, "Shaolin Soccer" (2001), catapulted her to the international screens. Zhao recalls the director Stephen Crow told her to play down her physical charm and be subdued. It was a good schooling for someone already a pro in front of the camera. Through that experience Zhao adopted a new kind of attitude towards the camera - "It was like falling in love," she told Time Asia.

Zhao also knows how to shock. In 2001, the audiences were stunned to see her parade in a dress with a pattern that resembled a Japanese battle flag from World War II. An offended construction worker whose parents had been killed during Japan's occupation of China attacked her after a concert and smeared her with feces. A painful subject, Zhao says that she knows what she did was wrong.

Luckily the public forgave her and Zhao has since been seen as one of three beauties jumping from cars making daring stunts in the movie "So Close" and as a policewoman in "Jade Goddess." In 2003, she starred in "Warriors of Heaven and Earth" and "Green Tea."

Zhao has also taken the time to take part in good causes. In 2004, Zhao participated in a charity walkathon promoting education and raising money for building schools. The route followed the footsteps of the Chinese Red Army's Long March of the late 1930s.

According to unverified information, Zhao will next star opposite Jet Li in a movie based on the video game Tekken.

Bright future

Zhao is a versatile actress mastering several genres ranging from melodrama to comedy. The ability to conform and mutate is a skill that not that many have. Zhao herself says that maybe her lack of outstanding personal characteristics is what enables her to assume the traits of different movie characters.

To date, Zhao has starred in over twenty television and movie productions. In March, 2006, she appeared in the fashion magazine, Harper's Bazaar. Just a month earlier she posed as a "Classic Beauty" in Cosmogirl, posing in a 1940's look. In 2006, she was also given the honorable mention of being one of the "100 Most Beautiful People" in the May 8th issue of People Magazine. This year she also won the award for Most Popular Mainland China Singer at the MTV Asia Awards. The awards and nominations to her name are countless...

Zhao remains one of the most successful entertainers of her time. Remains to be seen at what point the international movie audiences will take notice and fall head over heels for this the almond-eyed chameleon, for whom only the sky seems to be the limit.

More information: http://vicki-zhao.com/home.php?x=films.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhao_Wei
    http://www.radio86.co.uk/explore-lea...lented-starlet

Author: Stina Björkell

Image source: China News Service

did vicki win the golden horse?

They held the ceremony in Taipei a couple nights ago...here's a full list of results:
    http://www.goldenhorse.org.tw/gh_main/gh-e-5.aspx
    Zhou Xun won best actress AGAIN for Perhaps Love...wow how many times has it been? But, I digress.

Unfortunately Vicki didn't win. An actress named Nikki Shie in the film REFLECTIONS won. Oh well, being nominated is an honor as well, since Vicki's role was pretty small in The Postmodern Life of My Aunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    They held the ceremony in Taipei a couple nights ago...here's a full list of results:
    http://www.goldenhorse.org.tw/gh_main/gh-e-5.aspx
    Zhou Xun won best actress AGAIN for Perhaps Love...wow how many times has it been? But, I digress.

Unfortunately Vicki didn't win. An actress named Nikki Shie in the film REFLECTIONS won. Oh well, being nominated is an honor as well, since Vicki's role was pretty small in The Postmodern Life of My Aunt.
    oh.. well that's okay.. i will still support her

yeah. being nominated is an honor too!!

I think Zhou xun deserves to win. Her acting is still very good. It doesnt matter to me whether Vicki wins or not. She's already reknown worldwide as an awesome actress.

I think Zhou xun deserves to win. Her acting is still very good. It doesnt matter to me whether Vicki wins or not. She's already reknown worldwide as an awesome actress.
    Yeah I agree. Zhou Xun is one of the few actresses that is appreciated for her acting, not her looks/body.

It would've been nice for Vicki to win, but her role in The Postmodern Life of My Aunt was pretty small, and I don't think she expected even a nomination. So it's all good.

yup... she does deserve a win. although zhou xun is pretty well known too.

Even thought Vicki and ZX are friend but still very very ideal to discuss whether ZX is deserve to win Golden Horse Award or not.

Anyway, Vicki is very busy and I feel so bad for TW fans, who had been counting on Vicki arrival at the Golden Horse Award. Despite without Vicki presence, fans still waiting outside red carpet, holding sign and yelling "Zhao Wei" I hope Vicki will have an opportunity to visit TW in the near future.

"Moment in Peking" still very hot in chinca at the moment. Despite CCTV national broadcast, and rebroadcast, then regional TV station broadcast, viewing ratio still very high Also rescreening are Vicki's earlier drama like QSSYMM, HZGG, OHHJ, as well as her new Che Shen..

Didn't she post on netfamily that she couldn't come? Aww guess they didn't get the news.

Wow I just realized it's the second time Vicki's been nominated for Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Horse Awards...she was also nominated for Chinese Odyssey 2002. Maybe in future years she'll win. After all, they say three's a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky
    Didn't she post on netfamily that she couldn't come? Aww guess they didn't get the news.

Wow I just realized it's the second time Vicki's been nominated for Best Supporting Actress for the Golden Horse Awards...she was also nominated for Chinese Odyssey 2002. Maybe in future years she'll win. After all, they say three's a charm.
    hm.. maybe the fans knew, but still went out to support her (?) if that's the case, then they are very dedicated and i feel bad that they didn't get to see her.

Where can I find a list that listed all the movies/series that Vicki is/was in it? Too lazy to seach for myself LOL

p/s Last nite, I watched Chinese Odyssey 2002 - really stupid movie but Vicki was really beautiful in it and I had a great laugh too esp. the chinese opera part song by Tony and Faye hehe
    be happy