Thread: Jason Giambi Admits to Using Steroids and Growth Hormones

Default Jason Giambi Admits to Using Steroids and Growth Hormones

Not that it really surprises anyone whose been paying attention. Now if only we can get him to admit that he learned how to do this from Mark McGuire.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/7951986

New York Yankees slugger Jason Giambi injected himself with human growth hormone in 2003 and also used steroids for at least three seasons, according to his grand jury testimony reviewed by the San Francisco Chronicle.

The testimony given in December 2003 to the federal grand jury investigating BALCO contradicts Giambi's public proclamations that he never used performance-enhancing drugs.

Giambi described how he injected human growth hormone in his stomach, testosterone into his buttocks, rubbed an undetectable steroid knows as "the cream" on his body and placed drops of another, called "the clear," under his tongue, the Chronicle reported on its website Wednesday night.
    He's what? Due $80million for the next 4 years? That's gotta hurt.

Incidentally, that's the same "cream" that Sheffield admitted to using. *whistles*

Anyways, assuming that Giambi won't return to his MVP form, can the Yanks really somehow make enough moves in this off season to make a run for the title next year? (I think so, just sign Delgado, Beltre, and trade for RJ. )
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

It is very obvious the Giambino was on the juice.

Now, let's all test Bret Boone. He is my prime suspect.
    This account is retired.

Speaking of steoirds, how many here thinks that Barry Lamar Bonds is using them?

What about sheffield?

and does steoird usage affect your perception of them?

And now more leaks that Bonds' testified he used steroids "unknowingly" (convenient excuse that Sheffield used too).

Also apparently Conte has ratted out Marion Jones as well. Saying that he saw her inject her leg with steroids in person.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    Speaking of steoirds, how many here thinks that Barry Lamar Bonds is using them?

What about sheffield?

and does steoird usage affect your perception of them?
    Bond's bloated head is a dead giveaway about steroids use. Sly Stallone's head is misshapen from steroids use too. That could be Bonds in a few more years.

Any older player or players who are passed the normal age where improvements occur who suddenly makes highly unexpected leaps in production is worth investigating. Example, Brady Andersen's 50 dingers in 96. It was extremely out of line with his career statistics before and after that season. The chances are very good that he was on the juice that year.

That's why I mention Bret Boone as a prime suspect.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Bond's bloated head is a dead giveaway about steroids use. Sly Stallone's head is misshapen from steroids use too. That could be Bonds in a few more years.

Any older player or players who are passed the normal age where improvements occur who suddenly makes highly unexpected leaps in production is worth investigating. Example, Brady Andersen's 50 dingers in 96. It was extremely out of line with his career statistics before and after that season. The chances are very good that he was on the juice that year.

That's why I mention Bret Boone as a prime suspect.
    Clemens anyone?
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    Clemens anyone?
    Clemens? I don't think so. As for Bonds I knew he was taking steroids all along, just had a feeling by all of those homeruns tjat went WAY OUT and alot that went out of the park. The steroids game him that strength to hit it out, but it's not going to make him hit the ball better or raise his hitting perentage. Steroids doesn't make you put that contact on the ball (hand-eye cordination). It does make it add the extra couple of feet (or in Bonds case it seems like yards) to your hit.

But bottom line is that Bonds cheated, Giami isn't a big deal because his stats and records aren't anywhere near Bonds. Bonds greatest player of all time? Yes, with the use of steroids. What I think they should do is strip Bonds name and Mark McGwire's name from the records books or put in like astericks *steroids*.

If... and If it turns out that Barry Bonds and the rest are using steroids, would your perception cahnges if more than 50% of the MLB players are using steroids?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian0032
    Clemens? I don't think so. As for Bonds I knew he was taking steroids all along, just had a feeling by all of those homeruns tjat went WAY OUT and alot that went out of the park. The steroids game him that strength to hit it out, but it's not going to make him hit the ball better or raise his hitting perentage. Steroids doesn't make you put that contact on the ball (hand-eye cordination). It does make it add the extra couple of feet (or in Bonds case it seems like yards) to your hit.

But bottom line is that Bonds cheated, Giami isn't a big deal because his stats and records aren't anywhere near Bonds. Bonds greatest player of all time? Yes, with the use of steroids. What I think they should do is strip Bonds name and Mark McGwire's name from the records books or put in like astericks *steroids*.
    In 1996, Ken Caminiti had his career year, Jason Giambi had his breakout year, Mark McGuire began to come back. In 1997, McGuire hits 58 HRs and Clemens moved to Toronto and revived his career through "workouts". In 1998, a much bloated Sammy Sosa and McGuire both hit over 60HRs.

Interesting timeline.

And no, my perception of them as cheaters won't change if I find out over 50% of Major Leaguers are on steroids. It'll just mean there are more cheaters out there. Just because Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were both accused of betting on baseball before 1919 doesn't mean that the Black Sox and Pete Rose don't deserve to be banned either. Wrong is wrong.

Also, USA Today took a poll earlier this year and over 75% of the MLBPA wanted rigorous testing. In 2002, the entire White Sox team were going to collectively skip a drug test in order to intentionally fail it to push the percentage of those who failed over the 5% that would insure mandatory testing would be put in place before Donald Fehr and Gene Orza convinced them otherwise. So while steroids is prevalent, it's probably not nearly as prevalent as you'd expect. Especially since there is such rigorous testing in the minors, meaning that its only an option to those who are well established in the majors and won't be send back down.

Besides, are you going to look at the likes of Nomar, A-Rod, Jeter, Soriano, Manny, Damon, Vlad, Ichiro, etc. and tell me they use steroids?
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Moinllieon
    In 1996, Ken Caminiti had his career year, Jason Giambi had his breakout year, Mark McGuire began to come back. In 1997, McGuire hits 58 HRs and Clemens moved to Toronto and revived his career through "workouts". In 1998, a much bloated Sammy Sosa and McGuire both hit over 60HRs.

Interesting timeline.

And no, my perception of them as cheaters won't change if I find out over 50% of Major Leaguers are on steroids. It'll just mean there are more cheaters out there. Just because Ty Cobb and Tris Speaker were both accused of betting on baseball before 1919 doesn't mean that the Black Sox and Pete Rose don't deserve to be banned either. Wrong is wrong.

Also, USA Today took a poll earlier this year and over 75% of the MLBPA wanted rigorous testing. In 2002, the entire White Sox team were going to collectively skip a drug test in order to intentionally fail it to push the percentage of those who failed over the 5% that would insure mandatory testing would be put in place before Donald Fehr and Gene Orza convinced them otherwise. So while steroids is prevalent, it's probably not nearly as prevalent as you'd expect. Especially since there is such rigorous testing in the minors, meaning that its only an option to those who are well established in the majors and won't be send back down.

Besides, are you going to look at the likes of Nomar, A-Rod, Jeter, Soriano, Manny, Damon, Vlad, Ichiro, etc. and tell me they use steroids?
    And you can't forget Hank Aaron. He looks like he's half the size of Bonds. With all of his records that he's broken, I think that he doesn't deserve to be in the Hall of Fame period, after he retires. The thing is that I think the MLB could probably care less. That's why they don't look too serious about the steroid policy (well that's how I feel). Think about it homeruns & records = tickets being sold and more money.

I don't understand most of the fuzz is about unless it gives the wrong impression that kids today can take these "juice" to think they can be be better players... but someone said this... no matter how big and tough you are, hitting a 90mph fastball is a damn hard thing to do even if you are 300 pound giant. There is still skills involved. So don't take the credit Big Mac, Slamming Sam, Mr. Bonds etc. have done. What they did are special things and they shouldn't be discredit because they use something that put the advantage to the past players who never have that. If you have that you would have arguements that current players have better equipments, better work conditiion etc then in the past which result in endless debate.

Don't get me wrong, I think the past should be reconized and not forgotten but records are made to be broken. I am sure if you love the game you would want your record to be broken... that means there are people still playing the game and that the game is improving year after year.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

The thing is that I think the MLB could probably care less. That's why they don't look too serious about the steroid policy (well that's how I feel). Think about it homeruns & records = tickets being sold and more money.
    Actually Bud Selig BEGGED Gene Orza and Donald Fehr to include a strict steroid policy in the last negotiations for the Collective Bargaining Agreement. But those 2 "representatives" of the players refused and dangled any concessions about the steroid issue as some kind of bargaining chip. I don't know if you remember, but had baseball gone on strike again, its very likely that the sport would not have recovered. So Selig had to play ball, settling for a soft-cap (luxury tax) instead of a hard salary cap in exchange for a very lax steroid policy that pays lip service. Don't blame it on MLB, blame it on Orza and Fehr. Selig implement a very rigorous and strict steroid policy in the minors when he didn't have Fehr and Orza to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    I don't understand most of the fuzz is about unless it gives the wrong impression that kids today can take these "juice" to think they can be be better players... but someone said this... no matter how big and tough you are, hitting a 90mph fastball is a damn hard thing to do even if you are 300 pound giant. There is still skills involved. So don't take the credit Big Mac, Slamming Sam, Mr. Bonds etc. have done. What they did are special things and they shouldn't be discredit because they use something that put the advantage to the past players who never have that. If you have that you would have arguements that current players have better equipments, better work conditiion etc then in the past which result in endless debate.

Don't get me wrong, I think the past should be reconized and not forgotten but records are made to be broken. I am sure if you love the game you would want your record to be broken... that means there are people still playing the game and that the game is improving year after year.
    Yeah it doesn't help them hit the ball, but it sure helps hit the balls further. 5 feet of difference can mean the difference between a flyout and a HR, a groundball single and a ground out, how many Sosa and Bonds homerun have you seen them hit the other way that just barely went into the stands?

Not to mention the fact that increased strength helps increase bat speed to help those hitters fight off the inside pitches that would normally jam them. The only thing batters can hope to do with pitches inside and up is to fight it off opposite field and hope the pop up either goes out of bounds, somehow finds a hole to fall in, or hit the Green Monster (a la David Ortiz). Not Bonds, he either hits them out of PacBell on one arm or turn on them (like he did against the Angels in the WS).

Remember, 3 years ago Bonds was so criticized for having that an unfair advantage with just that elbow guard he wears because it took away the ability of the pitchers to pitch him inside. It was such a fuss that the MLB passed a rule against wearing so much padding (Bonds is exempt via the grandfather clause). If an elbow guard can cause such an unfair advantage, imagine what increased strength and bat speed does. PERIOD.

Because if you think about it, increased strength doesn't help too much in soccer either, I mean, it can't help you kick the ball any better right? Yet it is banned there too. Because it gives the users an unfair advantage in the other peripheral aspects of the game.
    Last edited by Moinllieon; 12-05-04 at 01:59 AM.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Clearly, steroids can't make you and me into the next coming of Cal Ripkin, but it can help players immensely who already possess the fundamental skills.

Interestingly, the year that Brady Andersen slammed 50 dingers was 1996... if I'm not mistaken. He never came close to it again. The effects of steroids is obvious.

I don't think the Dodger is juiced. I don't like the guy but he is just a workout freak. Pitches don't benefit as much from steroids. It probably has a negative effect because the denser muscle mass makes the arm less flexible and the constant shoulder and elbow motion more damaging to the arm. I think some pitchers do take steroids, but a lesser pct than hitters.

Guys like Ichiro and Soriano and Vlad IMO are safe. They wouldn't look so lean if they were juiced. They are legit.
    This account is retired.

The thing is, steroids doesn't just make you better and stronger, it also "slows down the aging process". Bonds began his relationship with BALCO at age 35. Remember all that talk during last season about how Bonds broke Fisk's record for most HR's after age 35? After turning 35, Willie Mays, who is probably the player whose skill set compares to Bonds the best, never hit over 30HR's again, never had over 90RBIs again, and never hit over .300 again. Victor Conte stated in an interview in 1998 that it's scientific fact that the human body begins to lose muscle mass at age 35 and that his goal was to "reverse the aging process through chemical manipulations".

And please, of course it helps the players play better, as flyingfox pointed out, if Brady Anderson's 50HRs in 1996 wasn't enough, consider this: do you think those players would inject steroids and female fertility hormones into their bodies if they didn't know that it was helping them? You don't inject yourself with stuff that could kill you and leave you sterile on a wing and a prayer.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I don't think steroids alone can help a player's longevity. I believe that the increased longevity of today's players are mostly due to improved workout and nutrition programs that players from the last generation could not dream of.

I've heard steroids actually makes one more susceptible to injuries, like what happened with the Giambino. Caminiti also had a lot of trouble staying healthy at the late stage of his career.

The one positive effect of steroids for the player that I know for sure is true is power, and not just in hitting homers, the ball jumps off the bat with higher velocity, leading to more basehits, thus the batting and slugging avgs improve too. Power = $$$, that's why so many guys are taking that risk of getting man breasts and having balls the size of a shrivel grape.

In the beginning of the 04 season in my keeper fantasy league, the Giambi owner in 03 did not keep Giambi, which I thought was a crazy mistake, but it turns out he is a genius and I am a dummy.

How the mighty has fallen. He has gone from a top 5 1B to almost nothing in 1 year.
    This account is retired.