Thread: JY Characters in GL's Universe

Default JY Characters in GL's Universe

Hey all,

I was re-reading a lot of the threads in the old Gu Long Forums and one of the post made by Edmund Lau really caught my interest. Basically, he was saying, Gu Long's "universe" is a much more evil and dangerous place than Jin Yong's universe. At every corner are voluptuous vixen masterminds, backstabbing friends, mindless mass murderers, and etc. Gu Long's world was a pretty difficult place to survive in. Given that, how would some of Jin Yong's characters fare in Gu Long's world?

Now if you take a look at some of Jin Yong's characters, most of them are very naive and honest, most likely they wouldn't last a day in Gu Long's unvierse. Chen Jialuo would probably be murdered within a chapter or two.
    Life Expectancy: 2 paragraphs

Probably very much the same for Guo Jing. His blind trust in strangers will be a very detrimental characteristic for him in GL's world. Its like he's just asking to be taken advantage of.
    Life Expectancy: 1 chapter

I don't think Zhang Wuji would last very long in Gu Long's universe as well. Even though his mother strictly told him to never trust beautiful women, he seems to disregard this advice. The beautiful women in Gu Long's world are about 1000 times more evil and devious than JY's female villains. The odds don't look that well for Zhang Wuji.
    Life Expectancy: Until a beautiful woman shows up

Yuan Chengzi I felt was a pretty boring character. Goes around lecturing people and doing good based on his beliefs. Don't think he'll last very long.
    Life Expectancy: 1 chapter

Linghu Chong seems like he has a better chance to survive than the previous four because he is not as black-and-white about morality as them. He doesn't care that much for keeping a good image and isn't afraid of stooping to low levels to take care of enemies. He has great wits and intelligence and also loves drinking, very much akin to most GL characters. However, LHC seems to lack that "killer instinct" and seems way too compassionate.
    Life Expectancy: 5 chapters

Yang Guo actually might not do too bad in GL's universe. He very much lived by his own rules and wasn't dragged down by the people around him. He also seems to have much less qualms about killing than the previous mentioned characters. But an easily recognizable flaw is his unending love for Little Dragon Girl. We all know that if this was the GL universe, Little Dragon Girl would be secretly plotting to take over Wulin using Yang Guo. She would probably seduce the whole QuanZhen sect and use them as well.
    Life Expectancy: Until Little Dragon Girl finds no more use of him

Duan Yu. Yeah this pansy might as well just have not been born in GL's world. No comment necessary.
    Life Expectancy: 1 paragraph ( I'm debating whether DY or CJL would die faster)

Xu Zhu. Hmm... although he didn't strike me as a sharp and quick-witted person, and he definitely doesn't have the ruthlessness needed, for some reason I think XZ could ride his luck for a while before falling victim to a backstabbing.
    Life Expectancy: Til his luck runs out

Xiao Feng I think was made for GL's world. This guy, although heroic and with lofty ideals and morals, has a killer instinct. He isn't afraid to kill for what he believes in and he isn't afraid to kill people who try to kill him. I'm thinkin' XF might be one of the only characters to make it out of a GL book alive.
    Life Expectancy: Might make it out alive.
    Last edited by bliss; 12-03-04 at 01:29 PM.

I think LHC would survive longer than 5 chapters. He had some 'street smarts'. Well, unless you transport YBQ in there as well. His master would have killed him for sure...

I think HYS would be able to last in the GL universe. With his eccentric behaviour, he was made for GL. He would probably not even be known as 'eccentric east' anymore. Compared to GL characters, HYS is 'normal'
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    Duan Yu. Yeah this pansy might as well just have not been born in GL's world. No comment necessary.
    Life Expectancy: 1 paragraph ( I'm debating whether DY or CJL would die faster)
    ROFL
    1 paragraph. that's funny.

Linghu Chong seems like he has a better chance to survive than the previous four because he is not as black-and-white about morality as them. He doesn't care that much for keeping a good image and isn't afraid of stooping to low levels to take care of enemies. He has great wits and intelligence and also loves drinking, very much akin to most GL characters. However, LHC seems to lack that "killer instinct" and seems way too compassionate.
    Life Expectancy: 5 chapters
    Well, Huo ManLou is very compassionate and also lacks "killer instinct", but he still survive very well in the Luk XiaoFeng universe. So, I don't think "killer instinct" is a requirement. The most important requirements imo are intelligence, the abilty to read people and not be ruled by emotion. Hua Manlou loves Shangguan Feiyan, but he didn't let himself get duped by her the second time, but instead was able to trap her in return.
    But given LCH's not very good track record in reading people and his tendecy to be ruled by emotion when it comes to someone he cares for, I think he will have some problem surviving in GL's universe, but it's not because he lacks killer instinct.

Basically, he was saying, Gu Long's "universe" is a much more evil and dangerous place than Jin Yong's universe. At every corner are voluptuous vixen masterminds, backstabbing friends, mindless mass murderers, and etc. Gu Long's world was a pretty difficult place to survive in. Given that, how would some of Jin Yong's characters fare in Gu Long's world?
    I agree with it. GL universe is much more dangerous than in JY Universe. I think JY universe is much more realistic than in GL universe.