Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here read Huang Yi's Dual Dragons of Da Tang?

Quote Originally Posted by AresInvincible
    Well...actually Tian Chan Bian is not his work.
    It's not? Then who wrote it? I have that novel (translated into Bahasa Indonesia) and the name of the author is Huang Yi.

HuangYING is the writer of Tian Can Bian

HuangYING is the writer of Tian Can Bian
    I recall incorrectly then. Thanks for the correction.

Thanks for the info, AresInvincible. Could you please list some more major/interesting changes? Thanks.

the TV drama can almost be viewed as a completely different thing, with only similiar character names. In the novel, the 3 strongest people are: Nin Dao Qi, Bi Xuan, and Fu Cai Ling (I think only he is in the TV show). However, the evil king and Song Que are also as strong as him. The major characters in the book except Kou Zhong and Xu Zi Ling are Ba Feng Han (who got deleted in the TV show) and Hou Xi Bai (I think he got a small role in the drama). Many other major characters are also deleted, such as Lei Nine Fingers, Ke Da Zhi, Ying Xian Hei, Tu Li, Du Fu Wei (he is combined with Li Mi in the TV version), Shi Qing Xuan & Shang Xue Fang (two of the most beautiful women in the novel), and etc. Plotwise, the novel covers a time period of at least 5 to 7 years, and therefore many things happened. Kou Zhong actually started his gang quite early in the novel, and he never joined Li Shi Ming. The story is just completely different, but I think MUCH MUCH better than the TV drama.

Yang Xu Yan is killed by the combined forces of Kou Zhong, Xu Zi Ling, Ba Feng Han, and Hou Xi Bai. Xu Zi Ling is married to Shi Qing Xuan, daughter of Shi Zhi Xuan.
    Who's Yang Xu Yan? Was Hou Xi Bai evil in the book as well?

Thanks.

The major characters in the book except Kou Zhong and Xu Zi Ling are Ba Feng Han (who got deleted in the TV show) and Hou Xi Bai (I think he got a small role in the drama).
    TVB combined the character of Hou Xi Bai with Shadow Assassin. So, in the series, Hou Xi Bai and Shadow are the same person. I do not like this combination because I like Hau Xi Bai and dislike Shadow Assassin.

What about Li Xiu Ling? Did she have a big part in the book (like in the series)?

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Condor
    What about Li Xiu Ling? Did she have a big part in the book (like in the series)?
    She has a so-so part in the book, meaning not too big or too small.

Is Hou Xi Bai evil in the book?

Thanks.

Hou Xi Bai is not evil in the book. He became a very good friend to Kou and Xu later on.

Who is the "Shadow Assassin" in the book?

Thanks.

Shadow Assassin is Yang Xu Yan.

what is Tzu tzi Ling in the book? I find his character is useless in the TV series, all he does is running after that girl...and chased by Wan Wan. He doesnt actually help Khou Zhong much in the TV series....he is only the kung fu side of the story while Khou Zhong is on the historical side and power struggling side of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond's fan
    what is Tzu tzi Ling in the book? I find his character is useless in the TV series, all he does is running after that girl...and chased by Wan Wan. He doesnt actually help Khou Zhong much in the TV series....he is only the kung fu side of the story while Khou Zhong is on the historical side and power struggling side of the story.
    Like I said, Xu Zi Ling is my favorite Wuxia fiction character. 'Nuff said. But your last sentence does conclude how the story goes.

My question: Why does TVB like to change the stories of wuxia novels so much when they are made into TV series?

i can think of a no. of reasons. i would say usually its due to budget constrains. or insufficient actors/actress. or the story is too complicated to squeeze into 30 episodes. or the srciptwriters decided their version is better. or some scenes in the novel just can't be filmed.

having said that, the way tvb adapted da tang is unacceptable. to me at least.

so uh... anyone care to translate this piece of work to enlighten the rest of us?

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Guo
    so uh... anyone care to translate this piece of work to enlighten the rest of us?
    I don't know if any fan has time to translate something THIS long...

The novel is obviously way too long to be adapted to TV w/o condensing the material and unfortunately, characters too. It has roughly 800+ individual chapters! Since most of the popular works of wuxia were originally serialized, it got me thinking whether there's any evident difference between them and a self-contained novel published once in entirety.

Not meant to be serious discussion but I don't like Xu Zi Ling that much for some reason. He was obviously born to be a monk or taoist or some other type of life-long celebate, yet ALL the female characters just throw themselves at him, finding his aloofness and indifference somehow attractive.

He should have ended up with Shang Xiu Ju, the owner of the Flying Steed Ranch. Instead she got paired off out of the the blue with the guy who fell in love with their deceased adapted mother...
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生