Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Has anyone here read Huang Yi's Dual Dragons of Da Tang?

But still, they shouldn't have altered the story that much! It's as if the series is a complete different thing from the book except the names. Anyway, I still think Xu Zi Ling is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    Not meant to be serious discussion but I don't like Xu Zi Ling that much for some reason. He was obviously born to be a monk or taoist or some other type of life-long celebate, yet ALL the female characters just throw themselves at him, finding his aloofness and indifference somehow attractive.
    Then, TVB sure screwed up the character. The Xu Zi Ling in the series is neither aloof nor indifference. In fact, he was a bit Guo Jing like (although not as dumb). Haha, TVB should have just maintained the personality of Xu Zi Ling. Ron Ng's biggest weakness in his acting is his inability to show emotions. He would have done better playing an aloof character.

It's commonly agreed that TVB has butchered every Huang Yi adaptation they got their dirty paws on, The Search for Qing (A Step Into the Past), Da Tong, and the latest and most mutilated of all: Fu Yu Fan Yun (English title is...ugh...A Lethal Weapon of Love and Passion?!)

Why do the titles of all TVB series sound like they were made up by someone who doesn't really understand either Chinese or English...
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

I just finished watching the show and have been reading the comics since it started. Totally unacceptable the TVB version. Comics version is juz barely half way thru the novel. Where Kou Chong is helping Wang shi chong defend against Li Shiming. The main thing I cant stand about the tv version is the way they twist the relationship of the two brothers. In novel/comics the two would do anything for each other. And to put shi qing xuan and shi fei xuan as the same person is a joke. And so is saying the chang sheng jue (which is a top taoist skill) is from the xie di she li is totally ridculous. By the way, kou chong and xu tze ling both learnt chang sheng jue and also did absorb the powers of he shi bi and xie wang she li in the comics. having read the novel, seen the tv and comic version, i personally feel that the best is the comics. the TVB adaption is pure crap.

Why do you think the comics are the best? I've read a few issues of the comics, and they are the typical Hong Kong style comics with buffed-up characters and way too exaggerated battles. Perhaps Hong Kong comics are just not my thing, so I still like the novel the best. After all, it is the original version.

Well, I think the comics version is the best probably bcoz I read every issues of it? And in comparison it is better than the full TV serial and the novel, at least to me. Of course, I dont mind the exaggerated battles, simply bocz I just take it as a read as a martial arts novel/comic. To believe the scenes in the TV/novel and not the comics is just a matter of believing that some guy is born with a pig head and not believing another is born with 2. Leaving the comics aside, if the story had been originally the TV version and then someone wrote the novel, I would definitely still prefer the novel. After all, it is the better version.

I'm following the version that is being currently translated by foxs. I agree with the original poster - some inconsistencies pop up here and there (thanks in part to the the length of the story). I'm treating it like a wuxia series, in written form. I'm find it very enjoyable, with some strong characterization and storytelling. I've particularly enjoyed seeing see how a different author than Jinyong or Gu Long handles the usual wuxia plot elements (martial arts skills, jianghu organizations and figures, politics). DTSLZ seems to be a very well recognized work and I'm a little surprised there is hardly any discussion of it here, especially given how the big two have been practically done to death.

hi , sometimes i went to fox's blog too, just for hangout .

wanna ask, based on 2011 tv adaptation, looks like kou zhong is stronger than xu ziling? he learned Mo Zhong martial arts (evil arts) while Xu Ziling did not learn any extra martial arts than him (Yes, Kou Zhong lost control because of it, but that's make him stronger)

how many women have a love relationship or interest with Xu Ziling in the novel?
    Last edited by a_tumiwa; 07-29-19 at 01:00 PM.

To be honest, it's the development/progression of the two main characters' personalities and characters that I find most interesting (more so than their progression in martial arts, especially at their current very strong level). I've never watched the TV adaptation and based on the comments above, have no desire to. It seems to me though that Xu Ziling ought to be ahead ever since he integrated the stances shown in the Buddha statues into his martial arts. Kou Zhong needs a weapon to unleash his full ability, Ziling doesn't.

I think it's only Qingxuan, Feixuan and Wanwan that Ziling is actually attracted to (to the extent he's able to be anyway - Siven's comment that he was "born to be a monk or taoist or some other type of life-long celibate" definitely has something to it, I think). I find it pretty hilarious how so many women in the story go nuts for a chap with an odd sort of quasi-asexual vibe about him!

Quote Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
    To be honest, it's the development/progression of the two main characters' personalities and characters that I find most interesting (more so than their progression in martial arts, especially at their current very strong level). I've never watched the TV adaptation and based on the comments above, have no desire to. It seems to me though that Xu Ziling ought to be ahead ever since he integrated the stances shown in the Buddha statues into his martial arts. Kou Zhong needs a weapon to unleash his full ability, Ziling doesn't.

I think it's only Qingxuan, Feixuan and Wanwan that Ziling is actually attracted to (to the extent he's able to be anyway - Siven's comment that he was "born to be a monk or taoist or some other type of life-long celibate" definitely has something to it, I think). I find it pretty hilarious how so many women in the story go nuts for a chap with an odd sort of quasi-asexual vibe about him!
    thx Patudo
    the love story of xu ziling seems 2 dimensional and less attractive
    as predicted, the love story between Xu Ziling and Shuang Xiuxun and Shang Wanjing is just a made up by producer for TV series 2011, haha

Quote Originally Posted by a_tumiwa View Post
    thx Patudo
    the love story of xu ziling seems 2 dimensional and less attractive
    as predicted, the love story between Xu Ziling and Shuang Xiuxun and Shang Wanjing is just a made up by producer for TV series 2011, haha
    Hmm... I don't know myself. I kinda like the fact that Feixuan, Wanwan etc are managing to disturb Ziling's ascetic inclinations. I'm glad Ziling and Feixuan are some considerable distance apart though as they would be irritatingly "good" as a couple!

I can't see Ziling having any real attraction to Shang Xiufang at all (if that's who I think you mean - the world's #1 courtesan). He's so frickin ascetic (there's that word again), spiritual, call it what you will and she's so steeped in the material world. It's been a very long time since Shan Wanjing appeared so I've almost forgotten her (to adapt this story properly for TV really requires multiple seasons a la Game of Thrones...) and can't recall what the situation is between her and Ziling. I don't think ZL is attracted to her at all though?