Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone here read Huang Yi's Dual Dragons of Da Tang?

Default Has anyone here read the novel version of Twins of Brothers written by Huang Yi?

I really loved that book! Xu Zi Ling is my favorite wuxia character ever!!! The only problem I find with this book is it's too long, and therefore has many minor errors of inconsistency...But all in all, this book is amazing!
    Last edited by AresInvincible; 12-10-04 at 05:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AresInvincible
    I really loved that book! Xu Zi Ling is my favorite wuxia character ever!!! The only problem I find with this book is it's too long, and therefore has many minor errors of inconsistency...But all in all, this book is amazing!
    i dont recognize the title, is that a literal transition from chinese?
    Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A B A Start

Yes. It's also been made into TV Drama. In Chinese the title is like this:
    大唐雙龍傳

Oh, i remember! TVB made a drama serial out of this called '
    Twin of Brothers' starring Raymond Lam and Ron Ng. There were 63 books in total right? Horribly long....
    Good people are Bad people who don't get caught.

That's right! It took me about a month to finish it...it's approximately the length of the whole Legend of Condor Heroes Trilogy PLUS Demi-God & Semi-Devils. Still, it's a really good book, but has anyone else read it and would like to give it a comment here?

How accurate is the show to the book? (I'm guessing not very)

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Condor
    How accurate is the show to the book? (I'm guessing not very)
    Obviously not. The show butchered the novel. It deleted some of the most important characters from the book (Ba Feng Han, Shi Qing Xuan), a lot of the stories are gone, and the ending is just...HORRIBLE.

Obviously not. The show butchered the novel. It deleted some of the most important characters from the book (Ba Feng Han, Shi Qing Xuan), a lot of the stories are gone, and the ending is just...HORRIBLE.
    Is this a real novel? or a cartoon story book? some1 told me that it's a cartoon novel..not real novel...Please clarify on this thanks

They did make a Hong Kong style comic book based on the novel, but the original is all words. Like I said, it's the longest wuxia fiction I ever read.

What was the ending in the book?

In the end of the book, Kou Zhong and Xu Zi Ling helped Li Shi Ming to become the king and killed his two brothers. Kou Zhong then spent one night with Shang Xiu Fang, and later marries Yu Zhi and Chu Chu. Shi Zhi Xuan turns good in the end and becomes the deciple of the Four Great Monks. Yang Xu Yan is killed by the combined forces of Kou Zhong, Xu Zi Ling, Ba Feng Han, and Hou Xi Bai. Xu Zi Ling is married to Shi Qing Xuan, daughter of Shi Zhi Xuan. Lei Nine Fingers becomes the president of Zhen Guan Bank. Shi Fei Xuan returns home. Ten years after Li Shi Ming becomes the emperor, the friends meet again at Chang An. They meet with Wan Wan and her daughter (student?) (Note: She did not have sex with Xu Zi Ling!). THE END
    Many people think that Wan Wan's daughter might be Wu Zhao, the only female emperor in Chinese history.

In the end of the book, Kou Zhong and Xu Zi Ling helped Li Shi Ming to become the king and killed his two brothers. Kou Zhong then spent one night with Shang Xiu Fang, and later marries Yu Zhi and Chu Chu. Shi Zhi Xuan turns good in the end and becomes the deciple of the Four Great Monks. Yang Xu Yan is killed by the combined forces of Kou Zhong, Xu Zi Ling, Ba Feng Han, and Hou Xi Bai. Xu Zi Ling is married to Shi Qing Xuan, daughter of Shi Zhi Xuan. Lei Nine Fingers becomes the president of Zhen Guan Bank. Shi Fei Xuan returns home. Ten years after Li Shi Ming becomes the emperor, the friends meet again at Chang An. They meet with Wan Wan and her daughter (student?) (Note: She did not have sex with Xu Zi Ling!). THE END
    Many people think that Wan Wan's daughter might be Wu Zhao, the only female emperor in Chinese history.
    who is Shang Xiu Fang and Chu chu? and Shi Zhi Xuan? wow they really cut down the characters...what I know is in the novel Lee sau Ning is just a minor characters..why did they cut down Shang Xiu Fang? when Khao zhong has relationship with her too?

Shi Zhi Xuan is the evil king, and he obviously did not get frozen in the novel. He actually was a real person in history in the novel, known as Fei Ju, who gave Sui Emperor bad advices which eventually destroyed the dynasty. Shang Xiu Fang is known as the no.1 artistic talented woman in the book. Chu Chu is a servant to a friend of the dual who I think never appeared in the TV drama. By the way, Kou Zhong does not turn evil in the book.

The TVB adaptation gave me a bad impression of the book. Do you expect me to believe that there is an "evil kung-fu" that can control you and force you to do "evil" things (give me a break). What I did like was the usage of ROTK-esque battles and the awfully cute Yuk-Chi. But the story wasn't immersive enough to keep me on my toes. I hope the novel is way better then the adaptation..

Shi Zhi Xuan is the evil king, and he obviously did not get frozen in the novel. He actually was a real person in history in the novel, known as Fei Ju, who gave Sui Emperor bad advices which eventually destroyed the dynasty. Shang Xiu Fang is known as the no.1 artistic talented woman in the book. Chu Chu is a servant to a friend of the dual who I think never appeared in the TV drama. By the way, Kou Zhong does not turn evil in the book.
    Sorry I know who the evil king is..just that I dont know his name in chinese. Anyway Kau Zhong has 1 night relationship with Shang xiu Fang then why didnt he marry her but he married to Yuk chi and chu chu?
    yeah the series made by TVB is aweful but I must say Raymond Lam plays it really well. Otherwise I wouldnt want to watch it..Ron Ng is an aweful actor, his scenes were really bored me to tear. How is Tzu Tzi Ling in the novel ?

That's right! It took me about a month to finish it...it's approximately the length of the whole Legend of Condor Heroes Trilogy PLUS Demi-God & Semi-Devils. Still, it's a really good book, but has anyone else read it and would like to give it a comment here?

a month ! took me more than a year. and i skipped some parts too.

WAH! Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan is THAT long... I don't think I can ever finish it I can't even finish JY or GL novels. I just read parts of them here and there since I don't have the time and patience to finish it. Well, if this novel is that long then you can't blame the TV adaptions for cutting parts and characters out. I mean who can make an accurate adaption of this novel due to it's length???
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie
    WAH! Da Tang Shuang Long Zhuan is THAT long... I don't think I can ever finish it I can't even finish JY or GL novels. I just read parts of them here and there since I don't have the time and patience to finish it. Well, if this novel is that long then you can't blame the TV adaptions for cutting parts and characters out. I mean who can make an accurate adaption of this novel due to it's length???
    that's true they have to alter something so that cant be done in a movie world but they dont have to change everything. In TOB they change almost everything
    cut down lots of important characters, which make it are true to the book anymore. I wondering why Huang Yi let TVB does it Jin Jong didnt allow them anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond's fan
    I wondering why Huang Yi let TVB does it Jin Jong didnt allow them anymore
    Well, I guess I'm too ignorant, 'cause I only know one of Huang Yi's works, which is Tien Chan Pien (sp?) or Reincarnated. But maybe Huang Yi lets TVB do that so that at least more people will know about his works

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    Well, I guess I'm too ignorant, 'cause I only know one of Huang Yi's works, which is Tien Chan Pien (sp?) or Reincarnated. But maybe Huang Yi lets TVB do that so that at least more people will know about his works
    Well...actually Tian Chan Bian is not his work. He wrote many sci-fi novels and wuxia novels, and I think currently he is the third most popular wuxia fiction writer in China, after Jin Yong and Gu Long. Lots of his works has been adopted into video games, the most famous being Po Sui Xu Kong (Destroyed Hollowness).

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond's fan
    Sorry I know who the evil king is..just that I dont know his name in chinese. Anyway Kau Zhong has 1 night relationship with Shang xiu Fang then why didnt he marry her but he married to Yuk chi and chu chu?
    yeah the series made by TVB is aweful but I must say Raymond Lam plays it really well. Otherwise I wouldnt want to watch it..Ron Ng is an aweful actor, his scenes were really bored me to tear. How is Tzu Tzi Ling in the novel ?
    The romance story of Kou Zhong can't be explained in a few words here. You gotta read the novel to see. I loved Xu Zi Ling from the original book. He's my favorite male lead in any wuxia fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by machiavelli
    The TVB adaptation gave me a bad impression of the book. Do you expect me to believe that there is an "evil kung-fu" that can control you and force you to do "evil" things (give me a break). What I did like was the usage of ROTK-esque battles and the awfully cute Yuk-Chi. But the story wasn't immersive enough to keep me on my toes. I hope the novel is way better then the adaptation..
    The book is wayyy better. Of course there is no evil kung-fu that can control someone in the book. The story is great. The thing I didn't really like in the book is how Huang Yi gives the female characters "levels of beauty" (he does it in all of his novels actually). So Shi Fei Xuan, Wan Wan, Shi Qing Xuan, Shang Xui Fang, and Dong Shu Ni are the five most beautiful females in the book.