Natalie Tong
    Kingdom Yuen
    Florence Kwok
    Elaine Yiu
    King Kong
    Eric Li
    Sammy Sum
    Vivien Yeo
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img.b.tvb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/tvbi/files/2012/08/e980a0e79a87e88085poster.jpg')
    Hello ,have anyone here watch this drama already ?
    Thanks.

Yes! I'm watching it! So far, it is quite dramatic with lots of scheming and politics! I really like Wayne and Kent together as they have great chemistry and am glad that TVB chose the story to be set in late Song, a time which is not so well known to the general audience. This series is more along the lines of "GreatnessTo A Hero" where people are scheming for the throne, but KM is more frustrating as the late Song dynasty is very corrupt and everyone has their own motives.

So far, I am enjoying it. Wayne and Kent do not disappoint. Elaine is strangely one of Wayne's love interests, she looks great but she does not look like a couple with Wayne. Pierre looks very fitting as the Crown Prince. Lai Lok Yi is quiote modern in his speech and movements in ep 1, but he improves in ep 2. Happy to see Kingdom back in TVB and love the casting of Florence as the evil concubine (she is made for these roles). Lee Kwok Lun is way more effective here as the overacting evil prime minister than the "cowardly" Lau Bei in TKRPG.

However, I dislike the themesong. The start is too ballady and relies on vocal power rather than instrumental support and I feel Eason would be a better choice than Leo Ku to sing it because Eason has a stronger voice. The song improves a lot when you get to the chorus. It is not exactly fitting for an ancient series, but it is not too bad.

I also hate the quick summary and narration at the beginning. We did not need spoilers for the story within 2 mins of the series starting and i think Wayne is more than capable of showing us his inner emotions via facial expressions than us being told directly by a not so good voice over (someone get Timothy Cheng back!) Reminds me of "The Lives & Times of a Sentinel" where a voiceover told us exactly what each character was feeling and I found it majorly distracting.

Otherwise, I am quite content with KM. The plot is going to get more depressing and twisted in future eps. Looking forward to Natalie's and Kristal role. And also Shek Sau!
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Wayne is pairing with younger and younger actresses.

I've only watch episode 1, but, I've read synopsis of episode 2,3,4. So much is happening, the storyline really move like a bullet train. I thought it would slow down after episode 1.

I like what I see in episode 1 and will continue to watch. Wayne, Kent, and Florence Kwok did a great job in their role. Ka Nin is also good as the first prince. Lai Lok Yi sound modern in the first few scenes, but, after that he became more natural.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Here is the themevideo if anyone is interested:

Another thing that irks me that there was nearly no promotion for "King Maker". I didn't find out that it was broadcasting til last week! This is such an underated series yet it has both Wayne and Kent who have awesome chemistry and matching acting skills with versatility.

I think another thing we should look out for is the relationship and comradery betweeen Yu Ching & the Crown Prince. Their story together through the themevideo is quite moving. Also Wayne and Pierre have some residual chemistry from their time as Lau Sing and Spare Ribs from "No Regrets". Is Lai Lok Yi paired with anyone in here?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Looks like I am the only one that doesn't appreciate this generic political drama in ancient setting.
    Granted, I agree this should be a very interesting series, but somehow I just don't appreciate it, not even Wayne and Kent's acting and chemistry.

I am instead interested in Pierre Ngo and Kristal Tin's character as well as the competition between Kingdom Yuen & Florence Kwok characters.

Quote Originally Posted by arachidonic View Post
    Looks like I am the only one that doesn't appreciate this generic political drama in ancient setting.
    Granted, I agree this should be a very interesting series, but somehow I just don't appreciate it, not even Wayne and Kent's acting and chemistry.

I am instead interested in Pierre Ngo and Kristal Tin's character as well as the competition between Kingdom Yuen & Florence Kwok characters.
    I am with you on this one. I really enjoy this cast but the narrative makes my head spin whenever they talk about prince vs prince drama. Also they did not gently roll out the intro, it was punishing amount of material to understand (people, places, time line, dynasty) in the first 10 minute opening sequence.

I find the editing to be similar to Life and Times of Sentinel which I actually didn't like all that much. Sigh...

This series has a great cast. I am only on episode 2 but the pacing of the series is so quick!

So far, I will admit, it is okay. At first, I didn't really care for the themesong, but it has grown on me pretty quickly.
    I like me.

I like the 99% of the cast, but am a bit disappointed with the storyline. It's not catchy nor suspenseful. It has been very predictable, and a bit boring...

I agree that it was very awkward to watch Wayne and Elaine as a couple. I don't know if it's because the age gap or what, but they didn't give a couple-feel. I like Kristal's character and her as an actress, but am disappointed with her acting in this series. Something is off with her; her speech has been very rigidy like she was just reading from a book. I continue to dislike Natalie's acting. I don't think she improves or changes at all from one character to another in the different series. I'm so glad that Lee Kwok Lun is not hte main villian (finaly at last!) Lol. I'm also tired of Wayne's goody goody, know-it-all, well-respected role. I want the "PIG" (from Journey to the West) back! He was sooo much better and more enjoyable to watch in that kind of role, in my opinion.

It's an ok series, but I don't think any character or actor/actress deserve any praise or award for it...

I'm going to jump on the bandwagon and say that I like the cast but not the story. I just can't get into the story. I also don't really care about the characters. I stopped watching after episode 5.

I am currently up to Ep 8. And I still like it. The story itself is no new thing - a lot of series have two political parties in court, two concubines fighting for power, two princes fighting for a throne, and of course, not to forget throwing in an evil minister who makes everyone's life hard. However, I like the quick pace of the series and how the cast brings life to the story.

Kingdom and Florence doing well in their scheming and royal harem battles. They are not out screaming and slapping each other, but actually squeak very softly and well mannered as high-class women should. Vivian Yeo is improving in both heractiong and enounciation but I prefer if she spoke less lines.

Because of Wayne's previous high standards, Yu Ching is not a role to remember. His character is quite one-sided, but that is the fault of the plot. Kent Cheng is doing a bit better with his duplicity. You can think he is with one gang but he could be getting benefits from both, and you can never really tell where his loyalty lies with, probably with himself. Pierre is great in his madness scenes. Krystal looks good, but yet to have much emotional scenes from her compared to ones in the themevideo.

Patrick Tang seems to be improving each time I see him. His performance is in no way spectacular, but he is effective and realistic in his portrayal so a somewhat difficult role to express. Sammy Sum is a surprise top be casted in this role.

Looking forward to the climax.
    Last edited by charbydis; 09-09-12 at 08:33 AM.
    Cyril Connolly

I am trying very hard to look past Kent Cheng's chubby face, but really can't see the facial expressions or tell that any facial expressions exists on his face. It's like he speaks, and the muscles in his face and etc doesn't seem to be there? Probably the reason why I've never been impressed with his acting.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I am trying very hard to look past Kent Cheng's chubby face, but really can't see the facial expressions or tell that any facial expressions exists on his face. It's like he speaks, and the muscles in his face and etc doesn't seem to be there? Probably the reason why I've never been impressed with his acting.
    I find your comment hilarious, yet so true! I thought the same thing. He "naturally" fits into the role though; since you can't really get his facial expression, you don't really know when he's lying or being evil/good. Lol, that was my attempt of sacrasim by the way haha. I also find the way he raises his voice from time to time quite annoying. But I guess he has to compensate the emotion with something else since he can’t with the face >D

Side note: I dislike Pierre's character. I also find the love development between him and Natalie is too fake and distasteful IMO.

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

Quote Originally Posted by JJWong View Post
    I find your comment hilarious, yet so true! I thought the same thing. He "naturally" fits into the role though; since you can't really get his facial expression, you don't really know when he's lying or being evil/good. Lol, that was my attempt of sacrasim by the way haha. I also find the way he raises his voice from time to time quite annoying. But I guess he has to compensate the emotion with something else since he can’t with the face >D

Side note: I dislike Pierre's character. I also find the love development between him and Natalie is too fake and distasteful IMO.
    I can't agree with you more. Yes. That's exactly it. And Pierre's character is okay...I do respect his acting, but I think it required more development. I mean...his wife suffered a miscarriage and he was imprisoned for 10 years and when he returns, she is still his faithful wife taking care of him every step of the way. And then suddenly Shing just falls for some 18 year old girl because she bit him and was younger? WTH?

BTW, how old is Yu Ching suppose to be? Like we know Jing is 8 and the brother is 10, so ten years later Jing is 18 and the brother is 20. How much older is Yu Ching compared to them? I mean already after 10 years, Wayne has gray streaks. He looked more like their father than their older brother. Wayne's taletell bags under his eyes doesn't help either. Crystal Tin is awesome.

And Yeung Kuk looks about to pounce Yuk Kiu. He's obviously infatuated with her, not just sympathizing her plight.

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    I can't agree with you more. Yes. That's exactly it. And Pierre's character is okay...I do respect his acting, but I think it required more development. I mean...his wife suffered a miscarriage and he was imprisoned for 10 years and when he returns, she is still his faithful wife taking care of him every step of the way. And then suddenly Shing just falls for some 18 year old girl because she bit him and was younger? WTH?

BTW, how old is Yu Ching suppose to be? Like we know Jing is 8 and the brother is 10, so ten years later Jing is 18 and the brother is 20. How much older is Yu Ching compared to them? I mean already after 10 years, Wayne has gray streaks. He looked more like their father than their older brother. Wayne's taletell bags under his eyes doesn't help either. Crystal Tin is awesome.

And Yeung Kuk looks about to pounce Yuk Kiu. He's obviously infatuated with her, not just sympathizing her plight.
    I like Pierre as an actor too, but his character makes no sense. Like you said, he just fell in love with Natalie for no reason. Especially after he promised to protect her after he returned and regained his normal composure. Ugh, and Natalie's acting... ugh! I can't stand it. She had so many opportunity but hadn't even improve just a bit! She only had one face and voice (annoying screaming voice) for everything...

I like and feel sorry for Sammy's character. I was rooting for him to get with Elaine, but that might had be a bit too awkward lol.

Hrm, I don't know how old Wayne is suppose to be. I think at least 30; wasn't he suppose to already be "at age" in the beginning because he was remorseful that he didn't serve the court when the father was exile? Yea, they make his character very very old, then again he is old in real life. It was a bit weird to watch romantic scenes between him and Elaine. It's like father and daughter thing...

My prediction is that Pierre's real father is actually Shek Sau. Then Kent will use that to bring back the second prince. Eh eh eh??

"Wait a minute! Of Course! That's it! If I'm drunk I'll be calm and if I'm calm I'll be nice, and if I'm nice then I won't go to hell. Fix me a highball I'm going to get good and tight!"

I like Pierre as an actor too, but his character makes no sense. Like you said, he just fell in love with Natalie for no reason. Especially after he promised to protect her after he returned and regained his normal composure. Ugh, and Natalie's acting... ugh! I can't stand it. She had so many opportunity but hadn't even improve just a bit! She only had one face and voice (annoying screaming voice) for everything...

I like and feel sorry for Sammy's character. I was rooting for him to get with Elaine, but that might had be a bit too awkward lol.

Hrm, I don't know how old Wayne is suppose to be. I think at least 30; wasn't he suppose to already be "at age" in the beginning because he was remorseful that he didn't serve the court when the father was exile? Yea, they make his character very very old, then again he is old in real life. It was a bit weird to watch romantic scenes between him and Elaine. It's like father and daughter thing...

My prediction is that Pierre's real father is actually Shek Sau. Then Kent will use that to bring back the second prince. Eh eh eh??
    Oh you too! I thought Sek Sau might be Pierre's bio dad. OMG I was literally laughing to myself when Yeung Chi San (Joseph?) was announcing that the Emperor had died and he was waving his arms up in the air as he left Kent and stuff...it was so funny I think he's actually a fun guy in real life. He plays so many roles where I hate him and then I like him again. Most notable likeable role is the one in DGSD 1996.

Yikes! Is Pierre's dad Shek Sau? I'm only up to ep 13 and am having trouble picturing Kingdom & Shek Sau as a couple. I love Shek Sau. His acting is not great but I love his voice, I can listen to him talking all day without being bored.

Nothing has happened between Pierre and Natalie yet at ep 13, but I guess he might be just another typical ancient guy who picks up all the girls he can (he is a prince and is socially expected to have lots of concubines). I actually feel quite sorry for Vivian at the moment so i hope he doesn't dump his primary wife who suffered for 10 years as Empress. Actually, I can't see anything happening between them either unless he likes SM cos she tortured him a lot in the eps I just finished. Gees, the plot must move fast.

Natalie actually improved a lot since "The Lives & Times of A Sentinel". She was horridly stiff and wooden in there . She more natural in here but very modern looking in her movement and speech.

I like how Sammy grew up in that crap household and still managed to grow up maintaining his principles and morales. But reading what you two have said, it sounds like he might be doing for ulterior motives after all. Elaine looks like she is heading the path to a raving lunatic again after being rejected like in "Bottled Passion".
    Cyril Connolly

Oh no! I apologize if I ruined the storyline for you .

As for Pierre's father, that was just my guess / prediction. I don't know if that's true or not as of right now. Well, it wouldn't be Shek Sau & Kingdom as a couple. It would be their "younger" selves so maybe that's a bit easier to picture He does have a good voice and I never really liked his acting either. He aged very well though!

I didn't watch "The Lives & Times of A Sentinel" so I can't really judge her performance from then and now. I watched her in the recent boxing series (w/ Raymond Wong) and told series (w/ Kevin Chueng, who played the father and son); I don't think she improved since then IMO.

Sammy remained a "good boy" .

DGSD?? From live-promo clips and game shows, I think Joseph is silly in real life too. I can play both evil and silly roles. I like him silly, self-fish, yet good better though; like in You Can't Buy Me Love. He just has been evil-evil in so many series lately but it's getting boring. He did perfectly well in the King Maker. Just glad he's not the main-main evilman.

Oh no! I apologize if I ruined the storyline for you .

DGSD?? From live-promo clips and game shows, I think Joseph is silly in real life too. I can play both evil and silly roles. I like him silly, self-fish, yet good better though; like in You Can't Buy Me Love. He just has been evil-evil in so many series lately but it's getting boring. He did perfectly well in the King Maker. Just glad he's not the main-main evilman.
    Nah! I am not affected by spoilers! Actually, quite interesting to see you two discuss the plot. I watched up to ep 15 jus then. I guess Natalie is just an escape route for Pierre away from the pressure that Wayne, his wife and his mum give him to fight for the throne. Natalie gives him no pressure what so ever. Is it true love? Probabaly not at the moment, he has always been attached to her even when she held him captive. He wouldn't go with anyone else except Wayne and Natalie.

Joseph is held by many peers as a very fun yet professional actor. According to Carol "Dodo" Cheng, Joseph will take the script home to memorize, then got to work without the script and play jokes on staff, and then as soon as the dircetor says "Action", he can immediately turn on a serious face and recite his lines without prompts. Great actor!
    Cyril Connolly

I've watched up to episode 18 like two days ago?

This is spoiling, but the reason JJ and I think Sek Sau might be the bio dad is because when Kingdom Yuen and Kwok Fung was escaping and Sek Sau was ambushing them, Kingdom Yuen is his childhood love and who knows, they might have shared a hot night together before she became the crown princess and then Royal Empress.

Yeah, I'm surprised when Sammy's Yeung Kuk turned out to be a good, morale guy given that he's Yeung Chi San's youngest son. I read on Wikipedia that Yeung Chun is suppose to be the eldest brother, but with all the episodes seen, Yeung Chun has been Yu Ching's loyal friend and sidekick. Unless Yeung Chun and Yeung Chi San been secretly in cahoots? What do you guys think?

Sammy Sum is kinda cute in his armour wear, but his scenes are too short. It's like he plays a lot of small roles.

Joseph Lee is pretty amusing actor, but I was kinda disappointed with his Liu Bei or how TVB portrayed him. One of my favorite roles has beenin DGSD1996 (Demi God Semi Devils) as Kau Mo Chit:
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://i47.tinypic.com/2qxassi.jpg')

Ouch! Elaine's crazy screaming and shrieking. I thought Natalie was bad enough, Elaine's shrieking is ear killing. Now she's so anti-men. But if she wants to elope, I wouldn't mind her and Sammy eloping. Her character is really pointless now.

I read the wikipedia page and it says Pierre will make Natalie his concubine. I just feel sorry for his wife for having to share his love with someone else. I mean that's how he thanks her? She suffered a traumatic miscarriage absolutely alone without a husband around and then live like a living-widow for 10 years worrying for him for 10 years. I don't blame her for being against Natalie.

Anyway....if Yu Ching was like say 19 and then 10 years later he could be 29 with the toils and bad living for 10 years in the sun, it's possible that he got gray streaks in his hair. That would make him 9 years older than his brother and about 10 years older than his sister. I'm just speculating here. Or he can be 20 and present time he's 30. I guess he could be mid 30s to late 30s. People tend to have grey streaks in their thirties? Sad, scary, but possible.

When is Yu Ching going to be reunited with his siblings? The recent episodes, Sek Sau knows Natalie is Yu Jing, because of the golden locket that each Yu Siblings have. So I guess it will be revealed soon. I sure hope so because I'm tired of his brother looking longingly at his older brother and feeling guilty for losing his baby sister and becoming a eunuch.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 09-14-12 at 09:48 AM.

I remember saying how I'm interested in the development of Pierre Ngo's character. Pierre is definitely a great actor, but it feels as though the characters he've been portraying are mostly weak in nature, or would grow to the negative side.

As for his character in KM... how did he lose interest in his wife so easily? When was he first attracted to Natalie? I mean, there were definitely sparks when they had the wine-gulping session, but he seemed to had taken a liking to her right after he recovered. It's kinda weird as this transition wasn't at all imminent.

Also, I really can't stand Kent's sudden bursts of loud dialogue. It always sounds overacted.. and sometimes, his facial expressions doesn't make him look sly, but like a psycho. Unless the ending of the series would be him going crazy ...which is entirely possible.. I really can't stand him. Shame. I used to love watching 'fei mao'.