Thread: Oldboy - SPOILER discussion - enter at your own risk...

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Default Oldboy - SPOILER discussion - enter at your own risk...

I think this can be considered a modern classic, the best that can be produced from asian genius.

A gruesome tale with twist upon twist of revelation, Need to be seen to believe. Even better than The game or Memento.

"You know now that I'm the one who responsible putting you in solitary confiment for 15 years, I want you to find the WHY since you already know the WHO"

You think this movie will end when the movie reveal the WHY. You're totally wrong and you're sure going to be speechless once you know the other WHY behind the WHY

Revenge is best serve cold - totally wrong, Revenge is best serve cold and ALIVE

The Director Park Chan Wook always wanted to twist his movie as much as possible. Except "JSA - Gong Dong Kyung Bi Gu Yuk", movies were focused on "Revenge"

I personally thought the movie was rather disturbing yet, the point of movie was burried under the color movie spreaded throughout.

He wanted to show the world the touchy issues, and proudly revenge that against the world at the end of movie.

Old Boy's elements were 2 things. 1 was the Time (watch the opening of the movie, and you see the clocks, that symbolize the importance of the time) and the 2nd was the color of the movie. (strong and dark, capturing and disturbing your eyes) The idea of revenge might just be the covering up of Park Chan Wook's storytelling of 2 sad loves.

I would recommend to watch it. This movie will not bore you, but I am sure it will give you several disturbing nights without sleep. I will write review.. i guess.. when i have more time then now.. grrr..
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

It seems that the korean have a big issue with incest - I know this is just my own opinion, but I have seen a many korean dramas and movies and many of them touches this controversial issue.

The american remake already slated for 2006 release and I dunno how the american going to remake this movie if they want to throw out the incest issue especially the scene between the two main protagonist.

The release time of the main protagonist after 15 years is become the main plot device of the movie and if they remove the incest issue the total time of confinement become nothing more than just simple numbers, like how long Count Of Monte Cristo in imprisonment in The Château d'If doesn't add anything to the continuation of the plot. It doesn't matter if its 5 years or 2 years or 20 years. However 15 years in Oldboy is the optimum years to start the revenge process

Korean movies do find touchy issues as the main theme or partial theme of the movie, but I have to warn you that Koreans do look for shocking and disturbing subjects to make money as well. Also the disturbing movies tend to receive better critics and reviews from people, so I guess that has something to do with it.

I guess the 15 years was a pretty significant time frame, but the focus wasn't the importance of the time. I think it was rather "Eye for eye" 2 different revenges twisted behind the many years of "planning"
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

I finally watched this movie. It's really good, but highly disturbing. I actually guessed that Mido was Daesu's daughter, but was hoping I'd be wrong...

The ending is supposed to be open to interpretation, but one can't help but wonder if Daesu knew Mido was his daughter. The hypnotist had warned Daesu that some memories may be damaged. It'd be both a blessing and a curse if Daesu didn't know.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 08-18-05 at 04:37 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

What was I thinking to rewatch this movie? I remembered watching this movie last year and had the BIGGEST hangover ever. Couldn't sleep and eat without thinking about it.

I have to admit it though, it's a good movie with smart ideas but still sickening! ewww...even after rewatching it over, I'm still very DUMBFOUNDED.

oh yeah, i rewatch this movie because of FLOWER of MY LIFE, the main actress in that series is the daughter in OLDBOY....I didn't not recognize her at first.
    ****Love, Live, and watch Asian Series****