View Poll Results: Guo Jing is ....

Voters
119. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely the best for Huang Rong!

63 52.94%
  • Huang Rong's the best choice at that time.

14 11.76%
  • Good enough for her.

8 6.72%
  • He just had a lot of luck!

28 23.53%
  • Strongly disagree!

4 3.36%
  • Other opinion, please write down.

2 1.68%
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Is Guo Jing the most suitable lover/husband to Huang Rong?

Default Is Guo Jing the most suitable lover/husband to Huang Rong?

In all Jin Yong's wuxia novels, Huang Rong is the most carefully described female character. She is also my most favorite one too,I really want to have a girl friend like that
    However she was not the main character in ROCH, she appears to be Guo Jing's lover and supporter.

Being snaped by her father for the first time, young Huang Rong went away, seeking for true love. She got a crush with Guo Jing due to his stupidly generous nature, because of it he could give her - a dirty pitiful guy in his mind at that time - any precious gift. What a coincidence, he came to her exactly when she strongly need someone who cares and what should happen happened.

If there had been no Guo Jing, after a couple months, Huang Rong would have been surely recovered, forgot that shock and come back home.
    Guo Jing was superbly lucky, he was emotional enough to sympathy with a begger, but was also nonsensitive enough to not recognize she's a girl.
    A person with a nonsense approach would keep going and do his important mission. One who is sensitive enough will know what she really was, hence, could rarely caused Huang Rong a crush, mostly a compassion.

And in ROCH, they are plenty of times that Huang Rong felt so sad about Guo Jing's decisions but sacrificed and obeyed him.

That's why I don't quite agree with the idea that Guo Jing is the most suitable lover/ husband.
    What are your guys opinions?

Guo Jing is not the most suitable husband/lover for HR, but at the same time he is the most suitable husband/lover for HR.

HR is a smart girl, beautiful, scholar, etc. While GJ is not handsome, and he's not as well educated as HR, he's not smart and not scholar at all. on paper, GJ is not suitable at all for HR. Somehow in love and relationship, synergy is the most important. And the only man who can synergy with HR is GJ....at least at that time. and I think that they are one of the best couple in JY universe

I don't care
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

no one else could have put up with her entics.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

I wish he was more matching. intelligence-wise. He was lucky to get her as his wife. I just think what a waste that her intelligence and looks get diluted with his dumb genes and not too good looks (both his parents were not goodlooking) to produce their offspring. Sigh...

And in terms of the way he treats her, it's not like he's damn mushy, tender, romantic etc. Yes, he treats her nicely but that's his character. He treats everyone nicely. He doesn't appreciate her cooking (just wolfs everything down), he ill-treated her when he thought her father killed his teachers, he still wants to marry another woman cos he gave his word. What does he every do for her? even in protecting her, he's not very good cos she actually depends more on her own wits, martial arts and the vest her dad gave her.

But the way the world was described then, there didn't seem to be any other nice guy around other than Guo Jing. She was born in the wrong times.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues
    I wish he was more matching. intelligence-wise. He was lucky to get her as his wife. I just think what a waste that her intelligence and looks get diluted with his dumb genes and not too good looks (both his parents were not goodlooking) to produce their offspring. Sigh...
    Intelligence isn't hereditary. Yeung Teet Sum wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and neither was Pau Sik Yerk...but their descendents were Yeung Hong and Yeung Gor.

As for looks, Gwok Fu might not have been the nicest or smartest person in ROCH, but she was good looking and so was her little sister.

And in terms of the way he treats her, it's not like he's damn mushy, tender, romantic etc. Yes, he treats her nicely but that's his character.
    And how is this a problem? All that "mushy, tender, romantic" stuff only impresses teenage and pre-teen girls. Mature women go for men who have character and are reliable.

He treats everyone nicely.
    Being mean to other people is attractive?

No wonder Yeung Gor is such a great romantic hero.

He doesn't appreciate her cooking (just wolfs everything down)
    He ate it, didn't he? What's he supposed to do? Say, "Oh, Yung-yee, your cooking is like Heaven's sweetest ambrosia!" after every bite of every meal he eats with her for the rest of his natural life? I'm sure that Gwok Jing enjoyed Wong Yung's cooking, but that wasn't near the top of the list of things he valued her for. Not everybody is like Hung 7 Gung. Do you slavishly praise your mother's cooking after every meal? Some things are just understood. If two people need *words* to show that they appreciate each other after a certain amount of time together, you've got to wonder how much integrity that relationship really has.

he ill-treated her when he thought her father killed his teachers
    "Ill-treated" her how? Did he kill her? Did he hit her? Did he even call her nasty names? Everyone (including Wong Yung herself) believed at the time that her father had just murdered five of the people who were closest to Gwok Jing for no damn reason at all, and yet he never lost sight of the fact that it wasn't Wong Yung's fault. He did not let Ohr Jen Ngok kill or harm her...extraordinary considering how loyal Gwok Jing was to his teachers.

he still wants to marry another woman cos he gave his word.
    He did not *want* to marry Princess Hua Jeng, but he did promise that he would *before* he ever met Wong Yung.

Let's put it this way: a guy you're attracted to has been steadily dating another person for a long time. Then, for some reason, he becomes attracted to you and abandons his previous lover. Personally, you might be happy for yourself, but could you trust such a man?

What does he every do for her? even in protecting her, he's not very good cos she actually depends more on her own wits, martial arts and the vest her dad gave her.
    He risked life and limb going to Peach Blossom Island to challenge the Au Yeungs for her hand in marriage.

He got her safely to 1 Deng when she was injured by Kau Cheen Yan's Iron Palm.

He searched the world for her after she went missing in action following the death of Yeung Hong, and only failed to find her because she did not want to be found immediately.

But the way the world was described then, there didn't seem to be any other nice guy around other than Guo Jing. She was born in the wrong times.
    Wrong for what? She had a great life, and being with Gwok Jing was an indispensable part of that life.

maybe zwj should be more suitable for hr. i personally think that zwj will be more happy with hr than zm now on the island of ice and fire. at least, hr can cook WELL. hehe.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Intelligence isn't hereditary. Yeung Teet Sum wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, and neither was Pau Sik Yerk...but their descendents were Yeung Hong and Yeung Gor.

As for looks, Gwok Fu might not have been the nicest or smartest person in ROCH, but she was good looking and so was her little sister.
    It's right that scientist haven't found any specific genes that control human intelligence.
    But most of them agree that intelligence is hereditary and one's mental ability depends on various elements such as genes, nutrition, education...
    Human is definitely more intelligent than animals, this is the most obvious evident that intelligence is hereditary.
    And in terms of the way he treats her, it's not like he's damn mushy, tender, romantic etc. Yes, he treats her nicely but that's his character.
    And how is this a problem? All that "mushy, tender, romantic" stuff only impresses teenage and pre-teen girls. Mature women go for men who have character and are reliable.
    Since I am a boy, I can't assume
    However I am pretty sure that babyblues can not be put in teenagers and pre-teen girls category
    Which are character that mature women go for? I don't think they do not include careness.
    He doesn't appreciate her cooking (just wolfs everything down)
    He ate it, didn't he? What's he supposed to do? Say, "Oh, Yung-yee, your cooking is like Heaven's sweetest ambrosia!" after every bite of every meal he eats with her for the rest of his natural life? I'm sure that Gwok Jing enjoyed Wong Yung's cooking, but that wasn't near the top of the list of things he valued her for. Not everybody is like Hung 7 Gung. Do you slavishly praise your mother's cooking after every meal? Some things are just understood. If two people need *words* to show that they appreciate each other after a certain amount of time together, you've got to wonder how much integrity that relationship really has.
    I disagree. Devouring everything is not a way to appreciate cooking skill unless you are a industrially raised pig. I don't think Guo Jing could enjoy Huang Rong's culinary art, even his shi fu said so.

Here is my personal idea. Most people know whether the food they eat everyday is good or bad.
    I don't praise my mom' cooking everyday. I help her if I can and feel happy when eating my meal. If it's more than good, it's delicious I'll say mom, today food is so delicious and smile. I only praise her when she does some special dishes which are heavenly pleasant tasting.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    maybe zwj should be more suitable for hr. i personally think that zwj will be more happy with hr than zm now on the island of ice and fire. at least, hr can cook WELL. hehe.
    Why do you think Zhang Wu Ji should be more suitable for Huang Rong?
    It would be good when you write your opinion in detail.
    What you've sad is Zhang Wu Ji will be more happy with Huang Rong than Zhao Min, not Zhang Wu Ji should be more suitable for Huang Rong.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

suitable or not.. their kids turn out hella bad.

Quote Originally Posted by shanghai girls are hot
    suitable or not.. their kids turn out hella bad.
    Gwok Fu, I'll give you, but what was wrong with Gwok Seung and Gwok Por Lo?

Gwok Fu, I'll give you, but what was wrong with Gwok Seung and Gwok Por Lo?
    Guo Polu was a "momma's boy"... In the novel, his sentences always start with the words: "Mother said... Mother told us to... blablabla". Very annoying and disturbing.

Guo Xiang is a great girl, but strangely enough she was the child Guo Jing loved the least.

In my opinion, Guo Jing is really a very lousy father.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Guo Xiang is a great girl, but strangely enough she was the child Guo Jing loved the least.
    That's one of the downsides about being a middle child...although in this case, her youngest sibling was only a few minutes younger than she was.

This often happens in families wherein the parents are important public figures. Parents with ordinary jobs know how difficult it is to raise a family and do their work, so for important public figures (i.e. politicians and other social leaders), it becomes even more of a problem. I wonder how often the Bush daughters or Chelsea Clinton got to see their dads while growing up.

Julian Lennon, the elder son of ex-Beatle John Lennon (whose assassination marked its 24th anniversary last week), once remarked, "My father had enough peace and love for the entire world, but he never had enough for me." Julian's resentment towards his father is understandable: when Julian was growing up, John was busy being a Beatle and later on, doing his love and peace schtick with Yoko Ono. I imagine that the Gwok children had a similar experience: their parents weren't irresponsible people, but they undoubtedly lost alot of quality time with one another due to the parents' obligations as wulin leaders during a time of war.

really? why? can you explain? sorry don't konw much about the story.

That's one of the downsides about being a middle child...although in this case, her youngest sibling was only a few minutes younger than she was.
    In this case, it was a bit different. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Ding Dang
    really? why? can you explain? sorry don't konw much about the story.
    In the novel, it was explained by Jin Yong that when Guo Xiang was born, her parents were in mortal danger, due to the bad memories they subconsciously developed negative feelings towards Guo Xiang.

This often happens in families wherein the parents are important public figures. I imagine that the Gwok children had a similar experience: their parents weren't irresponsible people, but they undoubtedly lost alot of quality time with one another due to the parents' obligations as wulin leaders during a time of war.
    Yes, it is very understandable. But then again, Guo Fu grew up on Blossom Island before her parents went to Xiangyang. Guo Jing had enough time to teach her well, yet she still became a lousy brat.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

I think they were the perfect couple. Love is rarely rational. They complemented each other so well in my mind. Bit like ZWJ & ZM.

It is ironic that GJ loves GX the least since he loves YG so much and she has some similar traits as YG. Conversely HR who was always wary of YG loves GX.. but then she loves all her children and even set GF free when GJ was gonna chop her arm off.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Question

What does he every do for her? even in protecting her, he's not very good cos she actually depends more on her own wits, martial arts and the vest her dad gave her.
    Guo Jing is a good husband or he is a bad one too?

As Ken Cheng said, Guo Jing had done a lot of thing to Huang Rong, is that true?

Here are my analysises
    He risked life and limb going to Peach Blossom Island to challenge the Au Yeungs for her hand in marriage.
    What would have happened if Guo Jing hadn't come?
    Huang Yao Shi would never have forced Huang Rong marry Ou Yang Ke!
    If he would, she would have been too furious to stay and gone wandering again.
    I'd rather say, Guo Jing risked his life for himself other than Huang Rong.
    He got her safely to 1 Deng when she was injured by Kau Cheen Yan's Iron Palm.
    Absolutely right. But why Huang Rong was injured by Qiu Tian Ren?
    Was she on her way helping finding the Yue Fei's bing fa?
    He searched the world for her after she went missing in action following the death of Yeung Hong, and only failed to find her because she did not want to be found immediately.
    What did Huang Rong say when she meet Guo Jing?
    Was it " I thought you would never care about me anymore"?

Do you really think the upper 3 great things Guo Jing had done could demonstrate his love to Huang Rong?

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    I think they were the perfect couple. Love is rarely rational. They complemented each other so well in my mind. Bit like ZWJ & ZM.

It is ironic that GJ loves GX the least since he loves YG so much and she has some similar traits as YG. Conversely HR who was always wary of YG loves GX.. but then she loves all her children and even set GF free when GJ was gonna chop her arm off.
    P/S: Love is rarely rational... Um, how can you conclude that they complemented each other so well?

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    Here are my analysises
    What would have happened if Guo Jing hadn't come?
    Huang Yao Shi would never have forced Huang Rong marry Ou Yang Ke!
    Frankly, I think you're putting the cart before the horse in many of your arguments. It's also called "begging the question", which sounds persuasive until you really think about it.

East Heretic Wong Yerk See's decision to betroth Wong Yung to Au Yeung Hak was made independently of what Wong Yerk See thought of Gwok Jing. Wong Yerk See had decided that Wong Yung was at the age that she needed to marry, and Au Yeung Hak seemed the ideal candidate: he was her true equal in social status (blood descendant of a Great).

I'd rather say, Guo Jing risked his life for himself other than Huang Rong
    This makes it sound like Wong Yung did not want to be with Gwok Jing as much as he wanted to be with her, and you know damn well that isn't true. If Gwok Jing had said, "The heck with it! I'm going back to Mongolia to marry Hua Jeng!" and just left Wong Yung to marry Au Yeung Hak, what would you say about him then? Is he damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't?

Absolutely right. But why Huang Rong was injured by Qiu Tian Ren?
    Was she on her way helping finding the Yue Fei's bing fa?
    Let's pursue this argument to its logical limit to see why it's faulty.

In ROCH, if Little Dragon Girl had not needed to improve her and Yeung Gor's martial arts to protect him (and provide him with the tools to protect himself) from the Cheun Jen Sect, then she would not have needed to practice the Jade Heart Manual and nearly die in the process. She had no ambitions to improve her martial arts, and until Yeung Gor came into the picture, she had no enemies. Meeting Yeung Gor put Little Dragon Girl's own life in peril. Can we blame it on Yeung Gor?

Every injury and near-death experience that Little Dragon Girl had in ROCH happened as a consequence of her relationship with Yeung Gor, but one could not *blame* him for any of those things. There's just no such thing as a consequence-free relationship with anybody.

What did Huang Rong say when she meet Guo Jing?
    Was it " I thought you would never care about me anymore"?
    She did not really believe that. If she did, she would not have reunited with him.

Do you really think the upper 3 great things Guo Jing had done could demonstrate his love to Huang Rong?
    Absolutely. Actions speak louder than words. Gwok Jing did not fawn over Wong Yung, but his affection for her was plainly evident.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    I can't help it. I have to comment. Why would HR's ability to cook well make ZWJ more suitable than GJ as HR's husband/lover?