Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How impressed was Gwok Seung by Ho Juk Do's martial arts?

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Yes, it seems to be so. During the Spring and Autumn Period and Warring States Period, the people living in what we now call China was much more warlike and martial than in later generations. Great swords were still forged up until the end of the Eastern Han dynasty (the monarchs of the Three Kingdoms of Wei, Shu and Wu all possesed fabulous blades) but slowly the art died out.
    Was there ever any concrete or solid evidence about that point? Or was it just a lot of myth and legend? Like the exxagerated stories of the 3 kingdoms era.

In 1965, an ancient bronze sword was unearthed by archealogists. The sword was used by Gou Jian, king of the State of Yue during the Spring and Autumn Period (770BC-476BC). The 2500-year-old blade was without rust and extremely sharp even today.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

In 1965, an ancient bronze sword was unearthed by archealogists. The sword was used by Gou Jian, king of the State of Yue during the Spring and Autumn Period (770BC-476BC). The 2500-year-old blade was without rust and extremely sharp even today.

Interesting. I remember hearing about that.

Would you know if the sword is on public display or if there are any pictures of it on the net?

Just wondering, a sword made of bronze. Wouldn't it be at quite a disadvantage against steel blades?

Maybe back then steel wasn't yet easily available? or maybe even not discovered yet?

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    Would you know if the sword is on public display or if there are any pictures of it on the net?
    The original sword has never been displayed to public.

Here's a pic of a replica

Just wondering, a sword made of bronze. Wouldn't it be at quite a disadvantage against steel blades?
    Wrought iron and steel became common in China during the early third century B.C., about 200 years after the death of King Gou Jian.

Wrought iron and steel became common in China during the early third century B.C., about 200 years after the death of King Gou Jian.
    What I was getting at is that even if the sword making art was high, if they were limited to bronze, the swords would never be as good as a steel blade made by later civilisations?

What I was getting at is that even if the sword making art was high, if they were limited to bronze, the swords would never be as good as a steel blade made by later civilisations?
    Steel is indeed better material than bronze for making swords, but craftmanship is also very important. And I didn't say that the anicent sword smiths were limited to bronze. Steel swords were made during the late Spring and Autumn/early Warring States periods.

But I really don't know how good those ancient weapons are, it's not something I can just put my hands on and try out...

I have watch a couple of archeology videos on china, there is a dagger made during the Qin Dynasty and it is still really sharp despite its age. The archeologist said that they can't touch the edge of the blade without using some kind of glove protection, or they would be cut.

at that time I was think if the dagger of the Qin Dynasty was that great, maybe the swords made during the Spring/Autumn Period was greater.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    I have watch a couple of archeology videos on china, there is a dagger made during the Qin Dynasty and it is still really sharp despite its age. The archeologist said that they can't touch the edge of the blade without using some kind of glove protection, or they would be cut.

I dunno, I always take whats on TV with a pinch of salt. Its the Discovery Channel effect. They sound so knowleageable and truthful but its actually quite a lot of crap.

Not that I am sure about the subject at hand or that I think the ancient Chinese weapons were crap.

But I think that part about the glove was pure bullshit on the part of the archeologist. You can still touch the blade of the sharpest ceramic/laser/titanium/whateverninjabastard sharpened blade with your bare hands and still not get cut as long as you are not a klutz about it. The human skin is rather elastic anyway.

Oh, while we are on the subject of blades. Here are 2 interesting videos.

Sword vs 9mm and .50 calibre machine gun.

http://mail.cu.ac.kr/~cave10/NihotoVSpistol.wmv

http://data.millim.com/mybbs/mbbs002...41119/mgun.wmv

Sure the bullets were probably normal brass jacket over lead rounds but its still damn impressive.

I dunno, I always take whats on TV with a pinch of salt. Its the Discovery Channel effect. They sound so knowleageable and truthful but its actually quite a lot of crap.
    yea, I am aware of that. just saying what I heard.

just wondering, if the those swords are sharp as they said, but they are still bronze and not as strong as steel. wouldn't it break if it collide with a steel sword no matter how sharp they are.

thanks for the nice videos
    Last edited by TaiHan; 12-20-04 at 05:40 PM.

that sword mus be damn valuable in terms of historical value... otherwise someone would have tried to gauge its sharpness
    TaZzY InC