Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Grand Canal 《大運河》 (1987)

who is derek kok?
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    who is derek kok?

It was Sean Lau Ching Wan's friend, also Margie Tsang's good friend.
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

Em did a page on Derek Kok:
    http://www.tvbspace.net/derek.html

It was a great serie, i really enjoyed this serie.

There were a lot of the 80's great actors. Tony leung, Idy chan was very a cute on screen couple.

Felix Wong and Lawarence Ng are very good villains.

It's based on history facts, so that makes the serie more interesting.

I got to say I had a crush in Idy chan in this series.

Lau ching wan played Lee Sai Man in this series, it's about the end of Sui dynasty and the start of Tang dynasty. Some of the characters also appears in Twin brothers, obviously because they are real historical chars and both series are set in the same period.

The char Lawrence played Yeung Guang is well known in the history to be one of the bad emperor.

cherrie, Grand canal is the oldest and longest canal in the world .. longer than panama and suez canal. The construction was started a few dynasty before but Yeung Guang extended it during his reign.
    "Most men are of naught more use in their lives but as machines for turning food into shit."

-- Miles Vorkosigan quoting his grandfather (Lois McMaster Bujold, "Memory")

TommyH
    Unregistered

TVB don't produce 60 episode series much anymore. Is this series worth buying?

well, i liked the series. IT was a grand production for TVB anniversary or something.

Tommy, what do u look for in a series. It has romance, betrayal, ambitions, and etc.

I just rewatch this a year ago. I know it is really long, but I didn't feel it drag at all. Maybe it is because I like all the characters in the series(except one but I fast forward all her parts so it doesn't really matter), so all the subplots was interesting to me. I especially like Sean Lau's character. It just a pity that most of the people around him were stupid, so Tony had to let him win the empire. Tony had all the great minds and the best fighters on his side. By today strandard, the series might be consider dragging because people aren't used to something this grand and long. TVB has not produce anything this grand in years. This is one of the great show in the 80s, all the people who were too young to watch this back then should really give this a try, but be warn it is slow moving. It's 60 episodes, you really can't expect to get all the story in a few episodes.
    Last edited by LiarLiar; 01-11-06 at 05:20 PM.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

i like the theme song
    Last edited by shanghai girls are hot; 01-11-06 at 12:23 AM.

hi AAAAAAaa

the tvb yesasia calendar said they will release the vcd and dvd version of this within this year
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by LiarLiar
    I just rewatch this a year ago. I know it is really long, but I didn't feel it drag at all. Maybe it is because I like all the characters in the series(except one but I fast forward all her parts so it doesn't many matter), so all the subplots was interesting to me. I especially like Sean Lau's character. It just a pity that most of the people around were stupid, so Tony had to let win the empire. Tony had all the great minds and the best fighters on his side. By today strandard, the series might be consider dragging because people aren't used to something this grand and long. TVB has not produce anything this grand in years. This is one of the great show in the 80s, all the people who were too young to watch this back then should really give this a try, but be warn it is slow moving. It's 60 episodes, you really can't expect to get all the story in a few episodes.

I agree. I just rewatched in about month ago. I really liked it. I don't think it drags that much compared to even some short TVB series these days ( talking about nonsense and cliche crap for hours ) I also like Sean Lau's characterd as Li Sai Mun. Tho, i think the series portrayed this historical character a little too kind.
    I personally think Tony had potential to win the Empire, but he was too kind hearted and filled with emotions. He always put his friends before his ambitions and be too righteous. In contrary, Idy chan's Lan Lin was more cunning and ruthless when the time calls for it. Even Hong Fat Nu was more ruthless ( manlike) co compared to Tony
    Also, notice how he lets so many opportunities go in the name of his friends ( some who even betrayed him numerous times)

yeah you're right he's really a good guy. I don't think such people really exist anymore today, but anyway the characater fits with Tony. As for princess Lan Ling, everything she is doing is for Tony's characters, Except when she was telling about tony's plan to destroy her brother Lawrence Ng.

I liked how she fell in her own trap by playing the game to fake herinterest in him to finnally fall in love with him.

I agree. I actually like the two's chemistry. Kind of flirt with each other and they relly fell in love. However, since they both are on different sides, they have to fight against each other.

FYI, Tony, during the filimng had a really bad attitude. He complained about overworking. He repeatdely arrived late for the set on purpose, frustrating Idy. Luckily they still showed some chemistry

yeah i saw it on some site that they didn't get along outside the set.. but on screen they were great.

If you re a guy you just wanna fall in love with idy chan character...

the chemestry was better than the on with lee sai mun and margie tsang character..!!

This was my first series I have seen with Felix playing as a villain. His character was evil and callous but his acting was great!! I think he has a younger sister too.
    Last edited by Bubblegum; 01-14-06 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by heartbreakid
    yeah i saw it on some site that they didn't get along outside the set.. but on screen they were great.

If you re a guy you just wanna fall in love with idy chan character...

the chemestry was better than the on with lee sai mun and margie tsang character..!!

really? I liked LSM and MArgie.. But i guess the main story focuses on TOny and Idy , therefore they got the most screen time.

for LSM and Margie, well... I really like the scenes they were with each other. He loved her, but she had the hots for Tony at first. He always pretends he is ok but still acts jealous. It's just funny that he is really intelligent and very cunning, yet, he can't do anything about Margie. He always goes along with what she says.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar
    really? I liked LSM and MArgie.. But i guess the main story focuses on TOny and Idy , therefore they got the most screen time.

for LSM and Margie, well... I really like the scenes they were with each other. He loved her, but she had the hots for Tony at first. He always pretends he is ok but still acts jealous. It's just funny that he is really intelligent and very cunning, yet, he can't do anything about Margie. He always goes along with what she says.

you re right she is very intelligent... the only thing about the love story between those two is the fact that it hasnt grow like the way it has be with tony and idy... but youre right to say that the story was focusing a lot about idy and tony story..!! but the hole serie was pretty good..!!

I loved most of the scenes with Idy and Tony.. how they quarrelled, flirted, and act like they don't need each other. At the end, they REALLY DO need each other.

Any fav scenes? I like the part where they both fell into a cave. She had ato operate on Tony to get an arrow out. It was funny how he rips his clothes to make hair tie for her.

Funny quote:
    Tony: Don't touch that. Those mushrooms are poison. You see these black and ugly mushrooms? Not only are they not poisonous but they taste great.

Idy: really?

Tony: The prettier they are, the more poisonouse. Exactly like women.

hehhe

I disagree that Margie and Sean's relationship did not grow throughout the series. I think, because they were not the main characters, they did not get as much screen time and character development as Tony and Idy. However, despite Margie being consistently playful and childish from beginning to end, she became more sensitive of Sean's feelings and more concerned about his safety toward the end. True, the relationship did not grow a whole lot, but at least, Margie matured enough so that she was more considerate of Sean. Besides, I thought for someone so rash and spoiled, she grew to become remarkably loyal and caring when she was willing to follow him into battle.

I actually didn't like Tony in the series. (Don't shoot me, everyone. ) I thought he was too indecisve when it came to trusting his own decisions. He believed others too easily and blamed Idy for every little misdeed, without first sorting through the evidence himself. It's almost as if he couldn't think for himself. I wondered how he could claim to love her and yet not trust her at all. Yes, his attitude changed toward her in the end, but I was already too fed up with his character to let the change affect me.

Idy was pretty, but I didn't like her costumes. They were not quite as elegant as the ones she wore in other series, like DGSD and ROCH. In fact, the costumes made her look a tad scruffy. I did love her independence and intelligence.

The character Lee Seung Yee (the girl who played Felix's sister) annoyed me to no end with her constant sulk and weepy expressions. I know it's incredibly sad and disappointing to love someone and yet not have your love returned. But that fact cannot be changed, so wouldn't it be better if she moved on, no matter how hard it was, and concentrated her energies on finding someone who could love her in return?