Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Foundation 《決戰玄武門》 (1984)

hey kelvin, she gets stabbed.
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

This is 1 of my favorite shows. Great cast & story.

ME 2! I loved this series. Even though it's old. I was devasted when she got stabbed though but the rest of the series is good
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_nguyen View Post
    why did Barbara yung died? how?
    It's been quite a while since I last watched this series, but I think this is what happened:
    click to show/hide spoilers
    Michael wanted to secure an alliance with an official that is vital to usurp the throne from his older brother (the guy was a general, I think, who had command of many soldiers). However, the guy proposed a condition. He will only support Michael to the throne if he would kill Barbara (I think the guy wanted Michael to marry his daughter, but I'm not too sure about that). Michael invited her to this quiet spot and stabbed her. He didn't want to do it and regreted killing her b/c he really did love her, but the throne was more important.

Just found this, which features her death: http://tw.youtube.com/watch?v=a0ch9FgOevI
    Last edited by MysticDust; 08-10-08 at 11:10 PM.
    How come most 江湖 (jiānghú) wanderers never worry about money? I wonder how a 大俠 (dàxiá) make a living...does meddling in people's business and righting wrongs pay well?

You are right MysticDust. I saw this series way too many times and even got SICK of it.... I don't think you needed to hide that in spoilers since many many people have seen this series already.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

This is one of my all time favorite series, perhap number 1 favorite.... Great Storyline, Great Casts, Great Costumes, Great Martial Art, ect... even though with very limitted sceneries.... It is by far better than now a days series...

click to show/hide spoilers
    You know when I first watched this drama and saw how she died, I thought they would allow her to say her last words to him. That's what I hoped. I mean even a word or three words before she died. She just died to quickly. Even someone who got stabbed in real life, would still die slowly because of the bleeding. It was too quick here.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I think this series is ok and is kind of overrated because of the strong cast. However, the storyline isn't that great and isn't accurate to history. My mom used to love this series back then, but now doesn't like it that much. I think it is because she read some more history books about Li Shi Min and hates how this series portrayed him...But overall, still a decent series.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    This is one of my all time favorite series, perhap number 1 favorite.... Great Storyline, Great Casts, Great Costumes, Great Martial Art, ect... even though with very limitted sceneries.... It is by far better than now a days series...

I am guessing that you haven't seen that many series these days. There are a lot of pretty good and decent series these days too(well, not from TVB but other companies). I used to really like this series too. BUT there was one point in time where my mom watched this series over and over and over again for like 2 months that it caused me to hate it... I still like this series, but not very much...

Quote Originally Posted by Trinie View Post
    I am guessing that you haven't seen that many series these days. There are a lot of pretty good and decent series these days too(well, not from TVB but other companies). I used to really like this series too. BUT there was one point in time where my mom watched this series over and over and over again for like 2 months that it caused me to hate it... I still like this series, but not very much...
    I don't watch series as much these days but still watch quite a bit.
    Some recent series are very good but they just can't compare to the 80s classics. The storyline aren't as interesting. The artists aren't as great. The costumes aren't as beautiful. The hand to hand combat is not as good. ect... The only things that better in recent series is scenery and special effect.

To me, The Foundation is not overated. It is still the number 1 series for me. I only watch that series couple years ago when it was released in DVD. I missed the tape version back then. So far no series can compare to it.
    Last edited by Trien Chieu; 09-30-08 at 08:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    I don't watch series as much these days but still watch quite a bit.
    Some recent series are very good but they just can't compare to the 80s classics. The storyline aren't as interesting. The artists aren't as great. The costumes aren't as beautiful. The hand to hand combat is not as good. ect... The only things that better in recent series is scenery and special effect.

To me, The Foundation is not overated. It is still the number 1 series for me. I only watch that series couple years ago when it was released in DVD. I missed the tape version back then. So far no series can compare to it.

Well, that is just your opinion so I respect it. You are "New" to the Foundation then. I saw that WAY back then when it first came out and thought it seemed refreshing and all. However, as time goes by(it has been part of my past and many other 80s series for over 20 years now) a series like the Foundation may not still be loved like it was back then. My mom used to love that series way back then too. I have to say that she still likes it, but not as much as she used to...You may end up like that as well since you are still new to this series.

Trinie: I think I watched this series for the first time like one or two years ago and I didn't quite liked how it turned out.

Felix's character made me angry. Barbara's character was boring. The whole series could've been compressed into a movie and the plot would still be mediocre.

I swear if it wasn't for Felix, Barbara, MKW, and all, I wouldn't have finished the series. The storyline was weak.
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    Trinie: I think I watched this series for the first time like one or two years ago and I didn't quite liked how it turned out.

Felix's character made me angry. Barbara's character was boring. The whole series could've been compressed into a movie and the plot would still be mediocre.

I swear if it wasn't for Felix, Barbara, MKW, and all, I wouldn't have finished the series. The storyline was weak.
    It was all right. Not spectacular, but not terrible. It was kind of "wuxia by numbers," taking advantage of the popularity of the LOCH '82 cast (honestly, most of the cast for THE FOUNDATION was recycled from LOCH '82) and the general early 1980s wuxia mania in Hong Kong.

I felt that the best part of the series was the soundtrack myself, but I had a dire crush on Michelle Pau at the time.

Hi! Just in case there's some question about whether the series is so fondly remembered only because it was relevant to the 1980's- I watched this just a few years ago, and I liked it a lot!

I think the characterization and plot make a lot more sense than the run-of-the-mill wuxia that we see loads of today- and I admit I thought Barbara and Michael were a super-sweet couple.

I liked its simplicity- no exaggerated plot lines to pull the lead couple together, no odd coincidences, a relatively straight forward story line, told well, good characterization, with a solid cast and script. Overall, this series gets at least my vote for being awesome even if I'm 20 years late watching it!

I might also add that I'm not at all a LOCH fan so that wasn't a big factor in my liking the series! Of course, I might have a unique opinion, but just my 2 cents!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post

Hi Suet Seung,
    I have to agree with that. I think if it weren't for the cast, this series would not be as popular as it was. The storyline itself was pretty typical and was nothing special. When I saw it for the first time over 20 years ago, I was too young to really judge this series. But as time went on, I began to not like it as much.
    However, we all have different opinions so I do respect people who are new to this series and really love it. Imagine if there was an unknown cast with the same storyline. I wonder how that would turn out???

if that were the case, unless the couples had super chemistry, it would have been boring.

but couple with the scenery and camera works of now days, it could put some on the map.

it has the makings for it. love, hate, regret, greed. the works.

i however, didn't like this film, too long, too boring. half way through i wanted to slap someone just to see if i'm awake.
    Currently in love with Bae Suzy...for superficial reasons.

Default help!

can anyoneeee please help me as to where i can get it in india!!!!!!!!!!!

Love this series and have been looking for it everywhere! Does someone know where I can buy it? I live in the US. DVD version preferred. Thanks!

This series has not been released on DVD, although a VCD edition was released a few years ago.

Judging from recent trends, TVBI seems to have temporarily given up on rereleasing older series on DVD.