Thread: WYY becomes Little Dragon Girl, or vice versa

Default WYY becomes Little Dragon Girl, or vice versa

How similar or different are WYY of TLBB and Little Dragon Girl of ROCH?

In television adaptations, WYY of TLBB and Little Dragon Girl of ROCH have appeared to be extremely similar. Besides the universal agreement that they are both extremely beautiful in physical appearance, both characters have been simply portrayed as quiet, cool, and uncompassionate to everyone except their own lover. However, from reading the original novels, Dragon Girl is actually a much more complex character than WYY. But the depth of Dragon Girl’s character is often times lost in adaptations, leaving behind only the surface of her, which greatly resembles WYY.

I think one of the most obvious reasons for the two characters’ great resemblance in adaptations is filmmakers’ tendency (coincidental or planned?) to use the same actress for both. We had Carmen Lee first acting as Dragon Girl and then WYY. I have also heard that Chan Yuk Lin, TVB’s Dragon Girl in the 80s, also acted as WYY in one of the adaptations. And now, Liu Yi Fei, who played WYY in TLBB ’04, is taking on the role of Dragon Girl in the next ROCH.

b'cos they both don't require high IQ
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

hahahaha
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Doughboy
    I have also heard that Chan Yuk Lin, TVB’s Dragon Girl in the 80s, also acted as WYY in one of the adaptations.
    She did, in the 1982 adaptation with Kent Tong (Duan Yu), Felix Wong (Xuzhu) and Shek Sau (Murong Fu). Chan Yuk Lin also acted as Huang Rong in a Taiwanese adaptation of LOCH (in the 80s, of course).
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    She did, in the 1982 adaptation with Kent Tong (Duan Yu), Felix Wong (Xuzhu) and Shek Sau (Murong Fu). Chan Yuk Lin also acted as Huang Rong in a Taiwanese adaptation of LOCH (in the 80s, of course).

Chan Yuk Lin acted as XLN in ROCH and WYY in DGSD, she never acted as HR in LOCH

Quote Originally Posted by andrea7974
    Chan Yuk Lin acted as XLN in ROCH and WYY in DGSD, she never acted as HR in LOCH
    Yes, she did. Not in the TVB version (that was Barbara Yung). In a 1988 Taiwanese version. Howie Wong Man Ho starred as Guo Jing.

LOCH adaptations
    Last edited by junny; 12-23-04 at 03:36 AM.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by ToOn99
    b'cos they both don't require high IQ
    Wan Yu Yan is pretty smart for memorizing all the wushu manuals, and being able to apply them, though never physically. At least she got a photographic memory or something.

Xiao Long Nu on the other hand, while possessing of high physical prowess, has the emotional maturity of a 2-year-old. If that's one of the reasons Yang Guo was attracted to her, he would be slightly pedophilic.
    林家有女玉啄成
    嫣然巧笑艳冠人
    纤纤起舞随风动
    疑似飞燕又重生

Quote Originally Posted by Siven

Xiao Long Nu on the other hand, while possessing of high physical prowess, has the emotional maturity of a 2-year-old. If that's one of the reasons Yang Guo was attracted to her, he would be slightly pedophilic.
    I think YG was still a child himself when he first went to the Ancient Tomb though i can't remember when he started to fall for her.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by Siven
    LOL!!! However, I don't think Xiao Long Nuu is emotionally immature. Naive maybe. And cold. Then again, hmm. Maybe she IS immature. She does tend to be selfish in her feelings for Yang Guo.... But that's just my opinion.
    "It's good to know what you don't know." - The Twit

Xiao Shiyi Lang Book 2 - plodding thru Chap 27

maybe cos there are not so may pretty actresses in the 80's .... that's why they get 'recycled' to act?
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    maybe cos there are not so may pretty actresses in the 80's .... that's why they get 'recycled' to act?
    I think the 80s actresses were generally better-looking than today's. Back then, the majority of them had *curves* and didn't have figures resembling those of famine victims.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I think the 80s actresses were generally better-looking than today's. Back then, the majority of them had *curves* and didn't have figures resembling those of famine victims.
    I think Ken is a child of the 80's generation. Most of us probably grew up in the early to late 90's Kate Moss generation.

well...the character of XLN is definitely more likeable if compared to WYY. So, i don't see many similarities btw both & y the same person is acting?!

as i grew up watching shows in the 90's, carman lee is my all time favourite XLN!!!

i don't hv any special feelings for idy chan as i think her version of ROCH is kinda old, thus not interested!

as for liu yi fei, i think she's too young for both characters! No depth in terms of acting, expressions, experience...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng

Mmmmm lets see.. Nina Li, Zhang Min, Cherie Chung, Candace Yu, Chingmy Yau, Carina Lau, Veronica Yip..........
    Last edited by CC; 02-28-05 at 01:02 PM.

n not forgetting rosamund kwan, shes gorgeous. and li jia xing as well

Quote Originally Posted by buster_t
    as for liu yi fei, i think she's too young for both characters! No depth in terms of acting, expressions, experience...
    i think she would look perfect as xln for the before 16 years whens shes 20 but looks 16 n liu yi fei looks young and pure. exactly how she is described in the book, when HR first sees her she thinks shes only 16 when she was actually 20

also it doesn't require too much to act as nln in the first part because she is so unemotional and cold.

besides with WYY she doesn't need to have to much acting skills either because its basically a flower vase role, just smile, look concerned and hurt when her cousin gives her the cold shoulder
    Last edited by allunderheaven; 03-08-05 at 02:11 PM.