Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: mediacorp ah jie

recently zoe tay has noted that her likely successors are joanne peh (for her modern look) and felicia chin (for her hardworking attitude). indeed, zoe's good friend, chen hanwei frankly commented that zoe's reign is over.
    (allow me to disclaim liability if I have read the newspaper article wrongly)

looking at joanne's and felicia's acting in golden path, it seems to me that joanne acts better though she may have lesser screen time. indeed i remembered the scene when she is pregnant. she was walking high heels and she looks really elegant.

personally i think joanne is like the young fann wong, and felicia is like the young zoe. fann wong like joanne was more versatile, has more international presence but she had less mass appeal. felicia has the girl next door appeal which draws her the fans, but she might have a tougher time breaking out in different roles because of the way she looks. right now, she's still like a xiao mei mei, can't handle mature roles yet.

i also can see that felicia is younger zoe.. i love their acting..
    ARASHI FOR DREAM...

joanne and jessica liu is ok . felicia is getting a lil arrogant along with jeanette . rui en and fiona are my fav as i think really put in alot of effort in their acting and not arrogant at all .
    woohoo~

over the years, i seem to like rui en the most. she always give me the "harmless" look.

i also started to love rui en.. she got big talent..
    ARASHI FOR DREAM...

This thread is alive!!

I seldom watch Mediacorp nowadays, based on my very vague impressions of the artists currently, nobody really stands out actually. I am not too fond of Rui En, I can't really explain, negative vibes I guess. But then again, I will say the same for Joanne Peh and Felicia Chin. Not sure if any of them can really become Ah Jies in the future, despite shortcomings of Fann and Zoe, there's still something about them that propel them to the top of the chain. These new and not-so-new female artists doesn't really have that special something about them, maybe they need a few more years? I don't know, only time will tell.

I glimpsed in the local tabloids that Felicia Chin changed her Chinese name, did I see wrongly or she really changed her name?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    over the years, i always have this question - do you think fann wong would be mediacorp ah jie if she has not been so proud during the first star award ceremony - the infamous sentence, something like that "now that i have won the best actress ...". even i think zoe tay has once commented that fann is more popular with all the adverts, overseas exposure etc etc.
    but still, in everyone's heart, zoe is still ah jie. or is it just an illusion?
    Actually I don't think Fann meant to be proud with that sentence at the Stars Awards. what she meant was if mediacorp gave her The Best Actress Award (highest award at that time) at her first Star Awards, what more could she work for in the future and what more could Mediacorp give her again next year? She means to say Mediacorp should give her The Best Actress at a later time, rather at her first awards where she also won Best Newcomer.

Right now, I don't think anyone has the charisma or complete package to be the next Ah Jie. The Seven Princesses have each their weaknesses and strong points, but no one is actually that distinct to place herself apart from the rest of the field.

In short, their acting are OK but their star quality depends on mostly make-up. There's nothing outstanding about their character which draws presence enough for them to be the next Ah Jie.

Just an add-on on why it is harder for Mediacorp to produce the next Ah-Jie:

In the past, Zoe and Fann were fulfilling the Singapore dream, reaching for the sky. They were able to fly and try out many new things, new characters and new images.

NOW, almost everyone in Mediacorp is just working as an artiste as a job. Since Mediacorp is the only TV channel in Singapore once again, their rice bowls are safe as long as they work hard, make some news or presence once in a while etc etc, but nobody would really have the dare or something more to go beyond that description of a job.

Nobody had yet said,' I'd like to establish myself and make a name in Asia and make famous our local shows. Put Singapore on the map again.'

It is that ambition that everyone is lacking and the courage to pursue it.

Comapred to last ten years, there are more artistes today. Hence, it may be more difficult to stand out.

Another question for thought - would Zoe "retire" quietly from the scene?

Quote Originally Posted by Nefertari View Post
    Actually I don't think Fann meant to be proud with that sentence at the Stars Awards. what she meant was if mediacorp gave her The Best Actress Award (highest award at that time) at her first Star Awards, what more could she work for in the future and what more could Mediacorp give her again next year? She means to say Mediacorp should give her The Best Actress at a later time, rather at her first awards where she also won Best Newcomer.
    Perhaps you are right, but the problem was how she worded it. If what you said was truly what she meant, then the meaning was lost due to how she said it.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang View Post
    Perhaps you are right, but the problem was how she worded it. If what you said was truly what she meant, then the meaning was lost due to how she said it.
    i don't think she meant it too, but it was really a case of lack of tack or EQ. but really fann has matured over the years lah. she's very polite to the press these days. as zoe said in the papers, the media dreamt up the competitiveness between her and fann, and that obstructed them from ever being friends.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Comapred to last ten years, there are more artistes today. Hence, it may be more difficult to stand out.

Another question for thought - would Zoe "retire" quietly from the scene?
    actually why is there talk about zoe retiring? she's only 40. she can progress to motherly roles, just like wang ming quan in hong kong. julie christie a once hot model in her younger days is now playing an old woman with alzheimer's disease in "Away from Her" and is the frontrunner for a Best Actress oscar.

why do we have to be prejudiced against older women in the asian entertainment line?

Quote Originally Posted by janlow View Post
    actually why is there talk about zoe retiring? she's only 40. she can progress to motherly roles, just like wang ming quan in hong kong. julie christie a once hot model in her younger days is now playing an old woman with alzheimer's disease in "Away from Her" and is the frontrunner for a Best Actress oscar.

why do we have to be prejudiced against older women in the asian entertainment line?
    That's the well-known disease called 'age prejudice'.

that's so true..
    ARASHI FOR DREAM...

Feel that Huang Bi Ren is one of the better actress in MediaCorp so I feel she also deserves the title of Ah jie. She a very versatile actress who can act as career woman, or as a housewife or a very cool police. She is also known to be very dedicated to her job as actress and even Jeanete Aw Xuan said last time, Bi Ren is very professional and is never late. She has a good working atittude. I will support Bi Ren.

well, i find that mediacorps star pool is too few or limited (u can only talk about Zoe Tay, Fann, Joanne Pei, Felicia), personally think that mediacorps should expand its pools of stars and come out with better drama. personally got sick of watching HDB shows, wonder if there are better scenery show and more practical and real life contents.

Old news but there's one less Ah Jie for Mediacorp since Huang Biren decides not to continue her contract... if she's even consider to be an Ah Jie in the first place. While I am not a fan of Mediacorp and many of it's artists, I think it's rather sad that a seasoned actress like Biren is leaving, Mediacorp can't even offer one of their best actresses a good enough contract for her to stay?

The current crop of young Mediacorp actresses are not really Ah Jie material, they just lack the star quality that the older actresses have. To quote one of Mediacorp's artist's words "新传媒只有艺人,没有明星"

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    Old news but there's one less Ah Jie for Mediacorp since Huang Biren decides not to continue her contract... if she's even consider to be an Ah Jie in the first place. While I am not a fan of Mediacorp and many of it's artists, I think it's rather sad that a seasoned actress like Biren is leaving, Mediacorp can't even offer one of their best actresses a good enough contract for her to stay?

The current crop of young Mediacorp actresses are not really Ah Jie material, they just lack the star quality that the older actresses have. To quote one of Mediacorp's artist's words "新传媒只有艺人,没有明星"
    I agree... None of the new generation have that crucial X-factor. Doesn't help much either when Mediacorp is reluctant to expand its talent pool and instead insist on using those few people repeatedly.

Indeed, Fann has been quite successful internationally. I have friends in Japan who heard about her too.

We have to be patient about the next batch of Ah Jie. Since we have waited 48 years to win an Olympic medal, we can be patient.