Thread: Beyond the Sea - A Bobby Darin Bioepic

Cool Beyond the Sea - A Bobby Darin Bioepic

...Starring the sexy, charismatic, and multi-talented entertainer Mr. KEVIN SPACEY, who also directed, produced, and co-wrote the script in addition to doing his own singing and dancing in the movie. Other thespians include Kate Bosworth (as Sandra Dee), John Goodman (as Steve Blauner), Bob Hoskins (as Charlie Maffia), and William Ullrich (as young Bobby Darin). Kevin has been nominated for a Golden Globe award in the best actor in a musical or comedy category for his role as Bobby Darin.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/movie/gallery/1139292/photo_09.jpg')

Official Site
    Positive review
    Negative review

Excerpted from the latter:

Quick show of hands: Who wants to see Kevin Spacey singing and dancing for two hours as Bobby Darin?
    Me, me, me!!! So there.

Now you may be wondering: "Who the heck is this Bobby Darin dude?" Most people under the age of 40 probably don't remember who he was or know much (if anything) about him. I had never even heard of him until I found out that my favorite actor has always been a big fan of his and was making this film.

This movie is now playing in New York and Los Angeles, but hasn't yet been released where I am. Once it is though, I'm definitely going to see it. I never miss a Kevin Spacey film.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Well yay, I'm the first (and most likely last) to respond to my own thread created six months ago.

The DVD of this film came out a couple of weeks ago and it was just flying off the shelves at Blockbuster. I've seen it twice now (once with director commentaries) and came to appreciate it more the second time around. At first I did not see the need to have the older Bobby communicating with the young Bobby throughout the film as I found those parts kind of draggy, but once Kevin explained his reasoning for utilizing that technique, I understood and fully agree. Kevin did a good job as Bobby, fake nose piece and all. His singing and dancing were great. I'm going to purchase the soundtrack soon. Somewhere...beyond the sea...
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 06-23-05 at 06:01 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Hmmm.. I'm actually kinda looking forward to this one, love Kevin Spacey's works as well Will look out for the DVD!

Heard the soundtrack as online audio samples though. Man, this guy can really sing!!!

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."

Cool, another Kevin Spacey (or at least his works) fan. Yeah, I love Kevin's voice. Bobby's ain't half bad either. Let me know what you think of this film once you get a chance to see it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")