Thread: crimson sabre novel

Default crimson sabre novel

i have finished watching crimson 2000 series. on the whole, i enjoyed the series very much. i have a question though. i find the ending of the series a bit ironical. chengzhi and princess chang ping noted that since the manchus have come into china, they are no more foes but friends. their job is to drive out the manchus. while chang ping continues with this promise (e.g. in the duke of mt deer), chengzhi left for some outlying islands with qingqing and his two friends for "seclusion". how is chengzhi going to help in driving the manchus?
    is it how the novel end too?

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    i have finished watching crimson 2000 series. on the whole, i enjoyed the series very much. i have a question though. i find the ending of the series a bit ironical. chengzhi and princess chang ping noted that since the manchus have come into china, they are no more foes but friends. their job is to drive out the manchus. while chang ping continues with this promise (e.g. in the duke of mt deer), chengzhi left for some outlying islands with qingqing and his two friends for "seclusion". how is chengzhi going to help in driving the manchus?
    is it how the novel end too?
    Although crimson sabre is the latest JY novel i read (around 6mths ago), it did not leave a lasting memory in my mind, maybe bec i dont really enjoy the story. But the ending of the novel goes something like:

Li Zicheng overthrow Chongzhen emperor and the entire clan is wiped out except Changping princess who got her arm cut off. After Li becomes emperor, he did not run the country properly either, letting the people suffer. Then Yuan chengzhi became despaired because he helped Li to the throne and yet Li did not make improvements to the standard of living of the country as promised, and he left the central plains.

What happened afterwards was actually told in DOMD (Duke of Mount Deer). YCZ left the Central Plains. I think the novel did mention where he went, but I can't remember... Hai Nan island, or Taiwan, perhaps. Sorry, I'm always poor at details. And no, I don't think Princess Chang Ping's father's troops joined forces with YCZ's in Sword Stained with Royal Blood novel.

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    What happened afterwards was actually told in DOMD (Duke of Mount Deer). YCZ left the Central Plains. I think the novel did mention where he went, but I can't remember... Hai Nan island, or Taiwan, perhaps. Sorry, I'm always poor at details. And no, I don't think Princess Chang Ping's father's troops joined forces with YCZ's in Sword Stained with Royal Blood novel.
    I think YCZ and co left for Brunei.

Brunei, that's very far from china in those days. or should it be burma? hehe
    Quote Originally Posted by junzi
    I think YCZ and co left for Brunei.

Crimson Sabre was actually the second wuxia novel written by Jin Yong, so it was not all that good.

There is not much special martial arts on display and the two best fighters were The Golden Snake Lord and his disciple. No worthy opponents and story doesn't link with the rest of Jin Yong's much famed Trilogy (LOCH, ROCH and HSDS).

The Hua Shan rebel was quite a good villain i thought. He Hong Yeuk was like a prototype Li Mochou. And i thought the love triangle played out quite similar to the HSDS one.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time