Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Hustle (Stephen Chow)

The reviews are very good for this show....

I liked it a lot more than Shaolin Soccer.
    The fight scenes kicked serious ***.
    Actually Stephen Chow was barely in the film himself. He just popped up every 10 minutes. I didnt even catch his name. That mute chick was hot but she was in it for like 2 minutes total.

not alot of good laughs but the best fighting screens.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

is that mute girl Eva huang sheng yi? 2 mins..what's the pt of casting her?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    is that mute girl Eva huang sheng yi? 2 mins..what's the pt of casting her?
    Well she is hot, and Stephen Chow wants to court her.

is that a joke or is it for real? btw..u guys think she looks like liu yi fei?

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    is that a joke or is it for real? btw..u guys think she looks like liu yi fei?
    I think she's better
    Yea I guess Stephen Chow is showcasing some old martial arts star, I think the person who practice Hung Gar was a movie star back then, but I forgot his name.

If you look closely the person who play the Axe Gang Leader is the one who play the "Bruce Lee" goalkeeper, somehow I suspect he's Yuen Hua son ? They look so similar !

u think she's prettier?

Yea the 2 axe gang leaders and the fat guy were the same guys from shaolin soccer. I think i recognize that old gay tailor from somewhere...at first i thought he was the priest in those young and dangerous movies but im not too sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo
    Yea the 2 axe gang leaders and the fat guy were the same guys from shaolin soccer. I think i recognize that old gay tailor from somewhere...at first i thought he was the priest in those young and dangerous movies but im not too sure about that.
    Nope. Old gay tailor's a veteran actor from old martial arts films, I believe, not that priest dude.

You may have noticed by now that Stephen Chow has his own share of regular actors who appear numerous times in films he had directed by himself (beginning from King of Comedy). The guy's a loner and has his own gang, and doesn't really invite other big-name actors to his movies (like what Jackie Chan did with New Police Story, or Twins Effects etc.)

Well, he's shattering box-office records all around Asia. I believe it is currently the top-grossing movie in Taiwan of all-time (or near there), the second top-grossing movie in China (but is on pace to beat the champ, House of Flying Daggers) and already the top-grossing movie in HK (beating Fantasia and New Police Story).

Not bad for a movie that came out for only a week.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

the tailor was played by Chiu Chi-Ling. he was in plenty of kung fu movies in the 70s.

is it out in DVD yet, I wait it....:thanks
    TVB'7=Raymond+S4+Chris+Vin

Very good movie rating 10/10

man this movie using too much cgi even experienced cgi require at least 35000 hour = to 35 year of experience.

Does anyone knows Sun Yan Zi(Singapore Singer) was actually the one who plays the role of Huang Sheng Yi (female 'lead')? however due to Yan Zi is busy, Stephen Chow hired Huang Sheng Yi to play the role... can't imagine if Yan Zi is to play this role, Sheng Yi is soooo pretty, she did make the film a little bit more romantic with her beautifuuuul face. but if it is Yan Zi who starring... maybe she will make it funny... hehehe
    Any Singaporeans interested in buying swords? Go here http://www.weaponmasters.com/?ID=WEAPONS&FDX=&FMAX=&SORT=&ITEM=KR-6&LOCATION=PHOTOS I'm looking for someone to split the Shipping Cost =) PM me...

This seems like a more serious Stephen Chow movie than I'm used too. It's like a homage to chinese martial arts in general and given Stephen Chow's own deep interest in chinese martial arts, he seems almost reluctant to make too many jokes about it. But I liked it nonetheless.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Nope. Old gay tailor's a veteran actor from old martial arts films, I believe, not that priest dude.

You may have noticed by now that Stephen Chow has his own share of regular actors who appear numerous times in films he had directed by himself (beginning from King of Comedy). The guy's a loner and has his own gang, and doesn't really invite other big-name actors to his movies (like what Jackie Chan did with New Police Story, or Twins Effects etc.)

Well, he's shattering box-office records all around Asia. I believe it is currently the top-grossing movie in Taiwan of all-time (or near there), the second top-grossing movie in China (but is on pace to beat the champ, House of Flying Daggers) and already the top-grossing movie in HK (beating Fantasia and New Police Story).

Not bad for a movie that came out for only a week.
    The Tai-Chi expert is Stephen father in the snooker movie and his opponent in Fist Of Fury 1991

Yes. The guy is Yuen Wah, who appears mostly in TVB series these days.

Oh, two weeks have passed, the movie has made around 48 million, it's about to break Infernal Affairs' record soon.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

According to ERA (Hong Kong), it is coming to DVD and VCD on February 2nd. I will definitely try to buy it. I just hope that Columbia includes bonus features this time. Most of their Asian movies don't seem to have bonus features and is usually a barebones release. And you can damn sure that they'll make you double-dip. It's obvious that they'll have a Superbit release months after its DVD release.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

the following is all the wuxia reference from the movie, someone post this on IMDB boards, I just copy-paste them for your reference and enjoyment:

- Firstly, the old begger that tricks Sing into buying the martial arts manual is played by non other than Yuen Cheung yan, brother of the renowned Yuen Wo Ping. He's also a skilled choreographer himself and has appeared in numerous Hong Kong martial arts film.

- One of the powerful skills practiced by the Landlady where she delivers a shattering roar is actually a skill practised by a character called Golden maned Lion Lord in a very well known wuxia novel called ( Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre ). He is one of 4 extremely skilled martial artists from which forms a puglistic sect of whom each possesses a distinctive skill, the other 3 being White eyebrowed Eagle Lord, Green Bat Lord, Purple Dragon Lord, all translating loosely. Their original Chinese names sound alot cooler of course.
    Another skill she uses when chasing Sing at breakneck speed is a tribute to yet another skill in ( 8 Steps of the Heavenly Dragon, see below ) called Ling Bo Wei Bu ( a non offensive skill that allows the practicer to move at very fast speed ie very good qinggoing )

- One of the skills used by the Landlady's husband is of course the renowned Taiji Quan ( the simple theory behind this skill lies in counterattacking your opponents with their own attacks, well illstrated in the film ), a real life martial arts, the founder of whom is Zhang Sanfeng, also a character himself in a famous wuixa novel called 8 Steps of the Heavenly Dragon, of which is a prequel to Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre. ( mentioned above ).

- The very destructive skill used by the 2 assassins ( using the Chinese musical instrument Guzhen or Qin ) was probably derived from a well know Hong Kong martial arts filmed called Tian Mo Qin ( loosely translating as the Heaven Demonic Qin ), where a powerful martial artists uses the Qin as her weapon, unleashing waves of killer Chi while playing the instrument.

- The skill used by the Beast at the end of the film is of course the Toad Stance, used by again, 1 of four highly skilled martial artists in the film Legend of the Condor Heroes ( also a prequel to Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre mentioned above ) of whom are translating loosely again, Western Poison, Eastern Evil, Southern and Northern Begger.

- The skill used by Sing is the very well known Wan Fuo Ru Lai Shen Zhang, translating as the Ru Lai Palm of the 10000 Buddha's. In a Hong Kong remake of a film with this name the main adversary of the person who practices Rulai Shen Zhang is Tian Can Jiao, or Heavenly Cicada Legs, a powerful skill unleashed with kicks and is played by the same actor who plays the Landlady's Husband.

- At the end of the film, when the begger again tries to sell some martial arts manuals to a befuddled kid, those manuals are actually a collection of some of the most powerful martial art skills found in several very well known novels, namely

- Stance of the 9 Suns ( the most powerful skill in the novel Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre. )

- Yi Yang Zhi ( A very powerful skill used by a few puglists in 8 Steps of the Heavenly Dragon )

- Dugu Jiu Jian ( A very powerful swordsplay skill used in the novel and film of the same name Swordsman )

- I missed out on 2 more of them, who knows ?

And lastly, though the 3 villagers that defended the townspeople did not yield any supernaturally powerful skills, they are real martial arts ie the Qiang ( the spear, a derivative of the pole used by Shaolin Monks ), and Nanquan BeiTui, ie Southern Fists and Northern Kicks, a term used to describe the people who practice martial arts in China, where the South is well known for its Fist attacks and the North for its Kicks.

That's all I know folks. Those who do know more please add in, and correct me where I'm wrong ! Hope the information was a little entertaining ! :]
    so anyone know the other 2 martial-art manual that on sale by the beggar?

I must see what huang sheng yi looks like on screen....everyone is raving about her looks it seems!