Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Hustle (Stephen Chow)

i most certainly can't wait for this movie, it'll never come out over here think i might d/l it

I just want the movie to come to US theaters so western filmmaking will be more exposed to the Wuxia genre. Like a hypothetical Matrix scenario where Neo counters Agent Smith's army of clones with a Red Dragon 18 Palms.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    I just want the movie to come to US theaters so western filmmaking will be more exposed to the Wuxia genre. Like a hypothetical Matrix scenario where Neo counters Agent Smith's army of clones with a Red Dragon 18 Palms.
    sadly none of the character in this movie using 18 DP, it should look super cool

The best 18 DP I've seen executed was probably by Qiao Feng from The Demi Gods and Semi Devils '97. It knocked out a whole army.

Quote Originally Posted by bearhug
    i most certainly can't wait for this movie, it'll never come out over here think i might d/l it

it's playing in theatres in australia, you lucky bastards!

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    the following is all the wuxia reference from the movie, someone post this on IMDB boards, I just copy-paste them for your reference and enjoyment:

so anyone know the other 2 martial-art manual that on sale by the beggar?

1 of the manuals was definately xianglong 18 zhang. the other is 9 yang zhen jing i think, or maybe it was 6 mai shen jian

Infernal Affairs' Box-Office Record is soon to be shattered by Kungfu Hustle.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Kung Fu Hustle is coming to theatres on March 25th, 2005. it is given a limited release in New York and L.A. only first and then, will spread major citites across North America. You can count Toronto and Vancouver too,

I also give it a 10/10 rating. It looks like the Chinese remake of Matrix Reloaded. I won't be exagerating to say it is as good as Reloaded in its CG, better in its martial art but less immersive in its atmosphere. It has the most advanced use of CG in a Chinese film to date.

On a side note, considering the age, probably many people here do not know what Rulai Shenzhang is. It's the grand daddy of wuxia as we know it. It is the film that started the wuxia genre on the big screen and tv. If you have the chance to watch it I bet you will be impressed by it still.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by NextNoName
    I also give it a 10/10 rating. It looks like the Chinese remake of Matrix Reloaded. I won't be exagerating to say it is as good as Reloaded in its CG, better in its martial art but less immersive in its atmosphere. It has the most advanced use of CG in a Chinese film to date.

On a side note, considering the age, probably many people here do not know what Rulai Shenzhang is. It's the grand daddy of wuxia as we know it. It is the film that started the wuxia genre on the big screen and tv. If you have the chance to watch it I bet you will be impressed by it still.
    its not a remake, its a spoof or making fun of it like the airplane or naked gun movies

Nah, it's more like a homage to martial arts movies of older times (which Stephen Chow is a fan of).
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau
    Kung Fu Hustle is coming to theatres on March 25th, 2005. it is given a limited release in New York and L.A. only first and then, will spread major citites across North America. You can count Toronto and Vancouver too,

what???? you mean i have to drive that insane distance to LA and wait until march 25???? boooo! but i'll do it anyhow to support this movie since it has an actress other than zhang ziyi...(finally someone with some sense).
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Stephen Chow usually likes discovering his own new actresses.

*points at Cecilia*
    Swifty, Writing

The Gongfu Hustlers

Yuen Wah; Landlord; Specialty skill: Taichi
    One of the original Seven Little Fortunes - the famous Peking opera school performing group which included Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung - Yuen Wah has appeared in more than 100 movies, co-starring with the likes of Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Wu Jing.

Yuen Qiu; Landlady; Specialty skill: Lion's Roar
    Also one of the Seven Little Fortunes, Yuen Qiu was a well-known stuntwoman in Hong Kong's film industry. She also made a brief appearance in 1974 James Bond movie The Man with The Golden Gun. She is now a housewife and made her return to showbiz in Kung Fu Hustle after 28 years at the request of Stephen Chow.

Chiu Chi Ling; Tailor; Specialty skill: Iron Chain Fist
    An expert in the Hung Gar style of martial arts, he has been in over 70 Hong Kong action films as an actor and stuntman. He has a martial arts school in San Francisco and travels all over the world teaching the style.

Xing Yu; Coolie; Specialty skill: Twelve Kicking Techniques of Tan House
    He started his martial arts training at Shaolin Temple at the age of 10 and still represents it as a performer on overseas tours.

Leung Siu Lung; Beast; Specialty skill: Kunlun Sect's Toad Skill
    He was once ranked with Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan as Hong Kong's Three Little Dragons, and was a martial arts action star and choreographer in the 1970s and 1980s.

Dong Zhi Hua; Donut; Specialty skill: Eight Trigram Staff
    A famous Peking opera star in China, he was the leading man in several films directed by famed action director Chang Cheh. They included Great Shanghai in 1937c (1986) and Slaughter in Xian (1987).

Jia Kang Xi; Harpist #1; Specialty skill: Deadly Melody
    He joined a Peking opera troupe at the age of 13 and received martial arts training as part of his studies. He made his first screen appearance in Slaughter in Xian.

Fung Hak On; Harpist #2; Specialty skill: Deadly Melody
    He joined the legendary Shaw Brothers Studios in the 1970s and has appeared in action films directed by Chang Cheh, John Woo and Yuen Wo Ping. He also works as a martial arts choreographer.

http://www.wu-jing.org/News/articles.php

I just saw this and I must say this one has exceeded my expectations. Stephen Chow wasn't that funny in it, but OMG I LOVED the Landlord and the Landlady. I nearly died laughing when Yuen Wah said he was Yang Guo and Yuen Qiu said she was Xiao Long Nui. And then the Yuen Qiu the landlady and her five minutes of cursing out the residents of Pig Sty Alley hahahahah....But I kinda thought that Huang Seng Yi's character was kinda useless...could've done w/o her

The action scenes where totally mindblowing, and especially the scene with the two harpists were awesome.

An interesting tidbit for people who have watched old HK series, Yuen Qiu is the older sister of Wen Xue-er (Man Suet Yee).

Yeah, the harpist one was, to me, the best part in the film.
    Swifty, Writing

whos huang seng yi? da mute gal? guess so..stephen din love her..they were juz sort of frens

Yes. Mute girl.

The romance in this movie is rather understated and subtle. So whether it's romance, or friendship, is totally up to viewers' interpretation.
    Swifty, Writing

I just saw this movie, my first Steven Chow film ever. Story and character development were kind of uneven and weak. It would have been better had they gone into more detail about how the landlord's and landlady's son was killed in a kungfu match. I found the film more weird than funny, but the action sequences were great and the production as a whole was very entertaining. One major plus: it wasn't overburdened by any dull or forced romance. As for Eva, even after seeing her in action, I still don't find her very pretty. She's just...long. The actor who played the landlord looked very familiar. I think he played Sima Hongye's dad in the "A Chinese Ghost Story" series from a couple of years ago.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    I just saw this movie, my first Steven Chow film ever. Story and character development were kind of uneven and weak. It would have been better had they gone into more detail about how the landlord's and landlady's son was killed in a kungfu match. I found the film more weird than funny, but the action sequences were great and the production as a whole was very entertaining. One major plus: it wasn't overburdened by any dull or forced romance. As for Eva, even after seeing her in action, I still don't find her very pretty. She's just...long. The actor who played the landlord looked very familiar. I think he played Sima Hongye's dad in the "A Chinese Ghost Story" series from a couple of years ago.
    Landlord is Yuen Wah. Perhaps you have seen him in a TVB series? And yeah I think he was in A Chinese Ghost Story