Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Hustle (Stephen Chow)

Quote Originally Posted by cmu_wasabi
    Landlord is Yuen Wah. Perhaps you have seen him in a TVB series? And yeah I think he was in A Chinese Ghost Story
    Yeah, you're right. I'm currently watching "Shades of Truth" and he plays a gang leader named Song Bo.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Actually, story and character development were initially my complaints about the movie. But I guess, maybe the whole point about it ain't about the story and the characters, just the fighting scenes. (kinda like, er, Kill Bill 1).

Besides, going into too much detail about how the son got killed will make things too melodramatic (imagine some flashback scene which is in black and white and we see son being killed in slow mo while landlord and landlady screamed in sadness and rage.... ew)
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

That would depend on how they'd go about including it in the story. The way you've described it does make it sound pretty sappy and probably cliché, but if they had that maybe as the very first scene instead of what they actually had, I don't think it would have been that draggy. Eh, I'm just being nitpicky.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

But they could've at least went into the background about Dough, Tailor, and Coolie. Actually I'm more interested in Tailor....is he gay? or just feminine?

But they could've at least went into the background about Dough, Tailor, and Coolie. Actually I'm more interested in Tailor....is he gay? or just feminine?
    Yeah, I agree. And what was with the butt cracks...? Tailor could have been gay and feminine.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

on the butt cracks: a protest against the landlady or stephen chow's way for working in some sort of hilarious nudity

umm...what was up with dough always saying stuff in English?
    Last edited by cmu_wasabi; 01-12-05 at 11:52 PM.

on the butt cracks: a protest against the landlady or stephen chow's way for working in some sort of hilarious nudity

umm...what was up with dough always saying stuff in English?
    In the cantonese version, the dough guy's lines was mainly in mandrain (as is for all the mainland actors in the movie , eg. one of the harpist , the crocodile gang leader and the Coolie guy.

He only sprout english in his very last line , which I can't make out at all, not sure if its' a repeat of the mandrain line he says before that "with Great Power comes great responsibility" hee hee...

why in English , it's another Joke though quite subtle
    Here's what I though..

Caucasians (English in HK's context) are know as Gweilo in HK..
    everyone calls dough guy Ah Gwei , which we all assume it's b'cos he runs a business of selling fried dough AKA "You Zha Gwei"..
    who would expect its' b'cos he speaks english ??
    Last edited by GuangRong; 01-13-05 at 01:52 AM.

Default Question

Hi, I've always wondered this and hope someone out there can answer me.

Before this show, the only members I knew from the Peking troupe were Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. Later on, I discovered Yuen Wo Ping was also from there. And I wondered why so many surnamed Yuen people cos it's not a common surname.

Now I know there are even more yuens. Yuen Wah, Yuen Qiu. 4 Yuens amongst the 7. Are they related? is their teacher's surname Yuen too?

I guess he's just Feminine, , the traddtional view is that needle work is for women..
    despite the fact that most tailors are Men..

Making him feminine ,i guess is for funny effect, esp to pple who follow of HK kung fu movies.,
    Though mostly bit parts, hes'very reconizable in manly/ tough guys roles..

Default web site

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues

Before this show, the only members I knew from the Peking troupe were Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. Later on, I discovered Yuen Wo Ping was also from there. And I wondered why so many surnamed Yuen people cos it's not a common surname.

Now I know there are even more yuens. Yuen Wah, Yuen Qiu. 4 Yuens amongst the 7. Are they related? is their teacher's surname Yuen too?
    I duuno that about Yuen Ho Ping..

But his yuen is diffrent from Yuen Wah's Yuen

I guess it's a stage name (common for Opera), Most of the students of the school has a name that start with Yuen,
    Last edited by GuangRong; 01-13-05 at 02:29 AM.

Nah, I kinda like how these three's backgrounds ain't really told to the audience. It makes them more mysterious, and also give them some sort of mythical status, same goes with landlord and landlady. The movie's about the whole mythic feel, I guess.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by GuangRong
    I duuno that about Yuen Ho Ping..

But his yuen is diffrent from Yuen Wah's Yuen

I guess it's a stage name (common for Opera), Most of the students of the school has a name that start with Yuen,
    Yuen Wo Ping is definitely from a different troupe. Yuen Wah, Jackie Chan (whose stage name was Yuen Lau), Sammo Hung (stage name Yuen Lung), Yuen Qiu, etc were all students of Yu Jim Yuen when they were young. And Master Yu had given them that name.

Quote Originally Posted by GuangRong
    He only sprout english in his very last line , which I can't make out at all, not sure if its' a repeat of the mandrain line he says before that "with Great Power comes great responsibility" hee hee...

After searching through IMDB I finally got what he was saying (and it makes sense):

"What are you prepared to do?" - from The Untouchables, Sean Connery

At first it sounded like: "Wha-tai-you-ki-tare-to-doo" At least I got the 'to do' right lol.

I was over at Stephen Chow's Taiwanese fan bbs, and someone raised an interesting point. Given the fact that Sing has ultra-healing abilities (*cough*Wolverine*cough*), could it be possible that he is indeed Landlord and Landlady's "dead" son? I mean the Landlady said that Sing is about their kid's age had he not died. And we do not know anything about Sing's background or past other than his encounter with the mute girl and "Buddhist Palm Manual." So could this be leaving room for a storyline in the sequel?

Fine with me. I can't get enough of Stephen Chow's "mo lei tau" antics.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

nvm 12345
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 01-15-05 at 05:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblues

they're not blood related. they adopted their sifu's name as their surname. it's a 2nd alias, so to speak. Yuen Wo-Ping is from a different troupe. Wo-Ping and his brother Cheung-Yan follow their father. the way to write "Yuen" (Wo-Ping's surname) is different than Yuen Wah's "Yuen".

Kung Fu Hustle would have been so much better if it doesn't have the disgusting stuff like running nose, dirty hair and brown teeth. Those element somewhat ruin the movie for me.

Thanx Guangrong, cmu_wasabi and tinlunlau for answering my question. I don't have to wonder anymore.