Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are reviews discriminated against?

Default Are reviews discriminated against?

Hi, just wanted to ask: do reviews which are not critical and wholeheartedly support a series given the top priority in being posted? I have written a few critical reviews and find that they take a long time to appear on the site, compared to others which are less "hard hitting". If this is the case then editors please notify me.

Please understand there are a lot of reviews and editors take time to edit them. The time taken to for a review to be posted up has nothing to do with whether the reviewer supports or criticises a series. That is entirely irrelevant and redundant. A review requires critical analysis of the series being reviewed. It should be articulately and intelligently expressed. If your review has passed the guidelines as set by SPCNET, it will be put up. A little patience does not hurt.
    玉木宏

blog

Last I checked, the review system has well over 3000 members (although not all have written reviews). So you can just imagine the workload they be getting. Plus it's a volunteer effort.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code.

Yep, there's no discrimination against a review if it gives a production a bad rating. Also a one person job (me) who makes reviews go live after the two editors (who are doing an excellent job, btw ) go through them so reviews do sometimes stay in our queue for quite a while. I will say that if a review is a recent production, i.e. 2004, it will go up sooner because I like to push recent reviews up faster--mostly because I think visitors like to read about recent productions over older ones.
    -SC

Default Dont be too offended!!!!

Editors, please dont get offended, i was merely voicing my personal concerns. Now i understand that you receive hundreds of reviews and editing them takes a while, so would you like a bit of help doing that? Of course just ignore me if you don't think im qualified, thats okay.

why not put your reviews under this thread for afterall you will like some comments on your work?
    Quote Originally Posted by Selene Nguyen
    Editors, please dont get offended, i was merely voicing my personal concerns. Now i understand that you receive hundreds of reviews and editing them takes a while, so would you like a bit of help doing that? Of course just ignore me if you don't think im qualified, thats okay.

Thanks, SC

Selene, thank you for your offer of help, but blur and I (the editors) feel that we can still manage at the moment.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    why not put your reviews under this thread for afterall you will like some comments on your work?

Even if i put my reviews in this thread i dont think anyone would be interested to read them! (lol). Also, sometimes i cant take it if people start telling me off like "why are you so critical?" and all that crap. Thanks for your suggestion wkeej!

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    Thanks, SC

Selene, thank you for your offer of help, but blur and I (the editors) feel that we can still manage at the moment.

ok, cheers!

Even if i put my reviews in this thread i dont think anyone would be interested to read them! (lol). Also, sometimes i cant take it if people start telling me off like "why are you so critical?" and all that crap. Thanks for your suggestion wkeej!
    Don't worry about negative feedback like that! I tend to write critical reviews, often with low ratings too (makes me feel good to vent about about bad productions) so I like reading differing opinions.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    Don't worry about negative feedback like that! I tend to write critical reviews, often with low ratings too (makes me feel good to vent about about bad productions) so I like reading differing opinions.

Ok, sure, maybe i will the next time a really bad TVB production comes along (it won't be hard to pick one because lately they all suck!) Frankly, i don't understand why obviously mediocre series get all the hype (TCTU, WAB, SOY). They are so overrated and the last 30 series or so were just such bad quality!

Ok, sure, maybe i will the next time a really bad TVB production comes along (it won't be hard to pick one because lately they all suck!) Frankly, i don't understand why obviously mediocre series get all the hype (TCTU, WAB, SOY). They are so overrated and the last 30 series or so were just such bad quality!
    It doesn't have to be TVB either. It could be ATV, Taiwan, Singapore, etc.

Frankly, i don't understand why obviously mediocre series get all the hype (TCTU, WAB, SOY). They are so overrated and the last 30 series or so were just such bad quality!
    I don't see what's so great about TCTU and SOY either, but I do like WAB a lot. It's at least better than "mediocre".

Quote Originally Posted by realdeal
    I don't see what's so great about TCTU and SOY either, but I do like WAB a lot. It's at least better than "mediocre".
    ok let me tell you why i think its mediocre.
    1. too much talking that involves characters going around the point for 5mins before getting their point across, awfully tedious

2. lack of really "evil" or cunning scheming by the concubines

3. poor performance by the important male lead (bowie) who speaks like he's a robot and has limited facial expressions

4. too many scenes of people playing the flute [maggie and moses then sheren at one point], the sound is ear piercing and annoying

5. too many scenes with bowie arguing with his dad over the same points

6. no chemistry between the "perfect couple" gigi and bowie

ok let me tell you why i think its mediocre.
    1. too much talking that involves characters going around the point for 5mins before getting their point across, awfully tedious

2. lack of really "evil" or cunning scheming by the concubines

3. poor performance by the important male lead (bowie) who speaks like he's a robot and has limited facial expressions

4. too many scenes of people playing the flute [maggie and moses then sheren at one point], the sound is ear piercing and annoying

5. too many scenes with bowie arguing with his dad over the same points

6. no chemistry between the "perfect couple" gigi and bowie
    Legit points. But still, I think it's better than mediocre. A production doesn't have to be perfect in every way just to be above "mediocre".

And yes, you can certainly keep your opinion. Opinions do vary.

umm... well, my question kinda isn't about why the new reviews aren't up... but I don't feel like opening a new thread... so ... my question is, why aren't the old reviews up? I remember reading some of the older reviews like way back when spcnet still has a black background... and the main contributers were still KHN and some other folks...

Quote Originally Posted by spcnet
    Yep, there's no discrimination against a review if it gives a production a bad rating. Also a one person job (me) who makes reviews go live after the two editors (who are doing an excellent job, btw ) go through them so reviews do sometimes stay in our queue for quite a while. I will say that if a review is a recent production, i.e. 2004, it will go up sooner because I like to push recent reviews up faster--mostly because I think visitors like to read about recent productions over older ones.
    just my opinion here but i think it's unfair to put the newer ones up first because there are some viewers here who likes to know more about the older shows. plus, all the reviews revolves around the same show, such as angel of mission. there are 6 reviews for dat show!!

[QUOTE=Selene Nguyen]Even if i put my reviews in this thread i dont think anyone would be interested to read them! (lol). QUOTE]

don't worry about what others think. just write what's on your mind. i use to think like that, but then, i just gave it a shot. my reviews aren't great neither but i got a couple of nice feedback.

Buffy: Actually the main reason why TVB reviews tend to look like there are so many reviews for them is that most review submissions we get are for the TVB section. Series like "Angels of Missions" have over 5 reviews for it but they were actually all submitted at different time gaps.

In general though, I will say I give a certain bias towards newer reviews that have not been reviewed yet. i.e. if you submitted the first review for a new production, it may go up sooner than another review. However, if you submitted the 5th review for a production that was reviewed already, then unless it was a totally different opinion, it will wait in the queue for the normal process.
    -SC

Banned

I think reviews should only be corrected for spelling and obvious grammatical mistakes otherwise it just takes too damn long.

people want their reviews as fast as possible and straight from fellow viewers' mouths , not 3rd hand .