Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Han Wu Da Di (Starring Chen Bao Guo as Liu Che)

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    at epi 26 currently...

its getting better and better. Han jing di is a goner already, his young son, who i must say looks to be more capable than his old man, has suceeded him. my opinion is quite mixed about Han jing di, leaning towards the negative. After he had Cao Cuo executed, I lamented at his weakness. When he indirectly caused the deaths of li fei and her son, the ex-crown prince, I felt disgusted. But then he wanted to off Zhou Yafu, and that really pissed me off.
    Is Chen Bao Guo playing the young Han Wudi or do they have a younger actor right now? You'll probably lament more and more about Wudi once he enters old age as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jade1500
    Hi, Lady Zhuge I'm not really a fan of this type of series. I watched "Kang Xi Di Guo" because CDM was in it, and "Han Wu Da Di ", because of Chen Bao Guo. If it wasn't for both of these actors I would have missed 2 truly great tv series. As for "Da Zhai Men" I and II, I just purchased the series, however I don't know if I'll watch it. I watched a little bit of the beginning and was bored out of my mind and being over 70 chapters long, I don't know if I want to devote that much time. Maybe the series will get interesting once CBG appears, but I'm still not sure yet. Thanks for the link, unfortunately I can't read Chinese so the link doesn't help me much. Maybe his new series with Vicki Zhao will interest me more, do you know when it will be released?
    Ah, I see. Don't miss out on "Yong Zheng Wang Chao" either! I personally really enjoyed "Da Zhai Men", but didn't think much of part II since I only watched one episode. Since you're a fan of Chen Bao Guo's, I figured you might like them both.

According to the thread link, the estimated time of completion for the series with Vicki Zhao is March of this year. As for when it will actually be released, I'm not sure. I guess it will depend on how much editing has to be done, which could take anywhere from a month to...months....?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

i haven't seen this series, but it looks very good. my mum's seen it though, and she says its pretty good. but i saw a bit - the bit when the king's mother died of old age in the garden, and knocked the cicada cage over. i think that bit was a bit over dramatised - coz they played it over and over again, from different viewpoints - but, hey, thats probably just me.

it still looks good!
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Is Chen Bao Guo playing the young Han Wudi or do they have a younger actor right now?
    they have a younger actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    You'll probably lament more and more about Wudi once he enters old age as well.
    yeah... , oh well. at least he achieved great things before superstition and dementia wrecked his legacy. for me, his positives outweigh his negatives.

on the other hand, ordering the death of Gou Yi just because she is in her prime years while the crown prince is still too young, might be pushing it a tad. certainly not looking forward to that scene.

but i can't wait for huo qubing to come out. "xiong1 nu2 wei4 mie4, he2 yi3 jia1 wei2 !"

awesome dude.

on the other hand, ordering the death of Gou Yi just because she is in her prime years while the crown prince is still too young, might be pushing it a tad. certainly not looking forward to that scene.
    too true, too true!
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

Up to chapter 42 in Han Wu Da Di and it's getting quite good. The tai wang tai ho has died, and originally I disliked her character very much. Her favoritism of her younger son at the beginning and her control over the government during her oldest son's reign and especially in her grandson's reign angered me. I believe that women and men are equal, but her responsibility for the suicide of her son's loyal and talented official sent to guard the borders against barbarians(resulting in the destruction and death of the entire town at the hands of the xiong nu). And her stubborness in not letting the young Han Wu Di make court reforms, confirmed the fact that maybe women should not be allowed to get involved in politics. Also her plan to de-throne the young king, seemed to suggest that she is truly blind. However her 6 years of control has helped to cultivate a new king who's future greatness maybe in a small part attributed to her.

By the time of her death my option of this strong blind woman has changed. It seemed that everything she did, she did to protect her young grandson. Eventhough she was physically blind, she seemed to be the only one who could really see. The plotting of Han Nan Wang and his trashy daughter was not the true danger to Han Wu Di, the true danger came from his own Uncle and Mother. In the end I think the young king came to really understand and appreciate his grandmother.

By the end of episode 42 we have come to see the true nature of Han Wu Di's mother, a wolf in sheeps clothing. She sees her son as a puppet, her brother is so corrupt that for the right price anything in government can be brought. The only person the king can use against them is Dou In, and in the end like his father before him, he must sacrific him.

Is this the emperor who espoused confucianism and proscribed all non-confucian schools and also thoroughly beat the hsiongnu? I bet this series must be about him. I was thinking his story is very interesting to be told, because/though personally I don't know much about him other than those two facts about him. Probably most do not know much about him either. Those two facts about him alone make him interesting... cuz like him, I like Kong Fu Zi as well, and who don't like a resounding victory?

Up to chapter 42 in Han Wu Da Di and it's getting quite good. The tai wang tai ho has died, and originally I disliked her character very much. Her favoritism of her younger son at the beginning and her control over the government during her oldest son's reign and especially in her grandson's reign angered me. I believe that women and men are equal, but her responsibility for the suicide of her son's loyal and talented official sent to guard the borders against barbarians(resulting in the destruction and death of the entire town at the hands of the xiong nu). And her stubborness in not letting the young Han Wu Di make court reforms, confirmed the fact that maybe women should not be allowed to get involved in politics. Also her plan to de-throne the young king, seemed to suggest that she is truly blind. However her 6 years of control has helped to cultivate a new king who's future greatness maybe in a small part attributed to her.

By the time of her death my option of this strong blind woman has changed. It seemed that everything she did, she did to protect her young grandson. Eventhough she was physically blind, she seemed to be the only one who could really see. The plotting of Han Nan Wang and his trashy daughter was not the true danger to Han Wu Di, the true danger came from his own Uncle and Mother. In the end I think the young king came to really understand and appreciate his grandmother.
    compared to han wudi's mum, wang mei ren and his aunt, chang gong zu, the tai wang tai ho seemed like a saint. but i also didn't like her much initially, cuz she was primarily responsible for the deaths of two loyal and capable officials, Cao Cuo and Zhi Du. Her favoritism of her younger son was kinda understandable to me, my grandma also loved my youngest uncle the most.

however, I believe most of the time she had the interests of the Han dynasty at heart and was fiercely protective of the Liu family. so even though her actions may not always be the best, her intentions were good.

politically , she was certainly conservative in her thinking, preferring to stick with the traditional policy of "governing without strict regulations" or wu wei er zhi. She failed to see that Taoism could only be the guiding principle of the past and confucanism was necessary to build and maintain a strong empire in the future. but i think her stubborness was more due to loyalty to her predecessor's time tested policy and ignorance rather than pure selfish ambition.

By the end of episode 42 we have come to see the true nature of Han Wu Di's mother, a wolf in sheeps clothing. She sees her son as a puppet, her brother is so corrupt that for the right price anything in government can be brought. The only person the king can use against them is Dou In, and in the end like his father before him, he must sacrific him.

i was kinda taken aback by the portrayal of Han Wu Di's mother in the first half of the series cuz i don't remember her
    being so kind and selfless in history. i thought maybe they deviated alot from history to give the character a good image. as such, i was seriously pissed when it turns out they deliberately misled me all this time without any substantially good reason other than maybe provide a 'twist'.

also, i like to add... what is up with the taiwanese accent spoken by tian fen, Han Wu Di's uncle, really out of place in this setting. he looks suitably sleazy though.

Quote Originally Posted by NextNoName
    Is this the emperor who espoused confucianism and proscribed all non-confucian schools and also thoroughly beat the hsiongnu? I bet this series must be about him. I was thinking his story is very interesting to be told, because/though personally I don't know much about him other than those two facts about him. Probably most do not know much about him either. Those two facts about him alone make him interesting... cuz like him, I like Kong Fu Zi as well, and who don't like a resounding victory?

yup, thats him alright.

He basically ruled Western Han dynasty from 140 - 87 BC. During his time, Han extended greatly towards the Tarim basin in the west, to korea in the north/east, and to vietnam in the south.

The period under Emperor Han Wudi's rule during the western han dynasty was the most spectacular in the 420 odd years history of the Han dynasty.

He implemented the policy of "Upholding Confucianism and suppressing all other thoughts" (罢黜百家,独遵儒术. thus established Confucanism as a state philosophy and the only orthodox feudal ruling ideology.

the battles with Xiongnu adversely destroyed their vitality, causing northern Xiongnu to leave their homeland for the region in the west in succession, and impelling southern Xiongnus to be sinificized by the more-advanced Han culture.

but in the end, the numerous wars he waged also severely depleted the imperial treasury.

Almost finished watching Han Wu Da Di, just finished episode 62. I thought the director did an amazing job on the big battle scenes between the Xiong Nu and the Han army. I'm usually not a fan of battle scenes because they tend to be so brutal and senseless, however the director did a great job in showing the gradual rise of the Han Army from weak victim to dominating force.

It seems that no matter how great a leader is, time can be his greatest enemy. It was very difficult for me to watch the once so clever and powerful Han Wu Di, turn into a pathetic old man haunted by dead ghost. It seems his cleverness like his youth has faded with time. He is blinded in trusting a deceitful eunich and his new young wife. He kills without a second thought, as though a human life is nothing. His own family becomes his prey, his son, his queen are all forced to leave him. Once surrounded by the best and brightest talents in the country, all that is left are deceitful vultures all waiting for the old man to die. Throughout his life he's had to overcome one obstacle after another from Tai Wang Tai Ho to his mother, from his Uncle to the Xiong Nu, he was always able to win in the end. However it seems he cannot understand that the time for fighting is over, it's time to heal the war torn country. I really don't understand how someone who has defeated the most competent and talented rivals one after another, can be blinded by a eunich and a young tart. The more I watch the more upset I become at his ignorance and his cruelty.

Has anyone finished watching the entire series? Please let me know how you feel about Han Wu Di.

Has anyone finished watching the entire series? Please let me know how you feel about Han Wu Di.

i took a break from watching on the 2/3 mark but i know his ending anyhow after reading some history books.

i don't think one should let his misdeeds, most done in his late years, overshadow the great stuff he did. as an emperor, with utmost authority and power, sooner or later, one tend to overuse, misuse or abuse it. its really not hard to imagine that senario.

my overall impression of him is still very much positive though. in terms of his legacy, he accomplished many awesome achievements and blazed a new trail in chinese history.
    A man of great talent and bold vision, he formulated for the 1st time a number of things :

1. Founding of titles of reigns
    2. Introduction of new calendars
    3. Laying stress on confucanism
    4. Holding talented and virtuous personnel in high esteem
    5. Establishment of Imperial Colleges
    6. Promotion of the practice of etiquette and rites and management of finance

he opened up new lands, such as the conquest of Xiongnu, establishment of contact with the Western reigon, quelling of Southern Yue and Korea, development of the southern region in Yunnan province and management of Min Yue and Dongzhen. The expansion of his han empire raised the prestige of the western han dynasty tremendously, which spread to the eastern coast of the mediterranean Sea in the west, the pacific ocean in the east, Mongolia in the north, the red river in the south.

Along with Han Gaozu and Han Guangwu Di, Han Wu Di can be considered the best rulers in the han dynasty.

wow, the DVD set has english subs! (according to yesasia): http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...n/version-all/
    Currently watching:
    K-dramas Resurrection/Rebirth, Wedding, Farewell to Tears, Rosy Life, Immortal Yi Soon Shin
    C-drama Fairytale of Twin Swords

i took a break from watching on the 2/3 mark but i know his ending anyhow after reading some history books.

i don't think one should let his misdeeds, most done in his late years, overshadow the great stuff he did. as an emperor, with utmost authority and power, sooner or later, one tend to overuse, misuse or abuse it. its really not hard to imagine that senario.

my overall impression of him is still very much positive though. in terms of his legacy, he accomplished many awesome achievements and blazed a new trail in chinese history.
    A man of great talent and bold vision, he formulated for the 1st time a number of things:
    Wow c13:4567 you sure know your history! I just finished watching the whole series and I have to take back what I said last time. Han Wu Di was definietly a brillant leader all the way to the end. He finally realized that his son had been framed and punished all those that had plotted against him. However it was quite sad when he realized how much his wars have ravaged his country. It seemed that he wanted to accomplish so much more, but time was not on his side. I really enjoyed the series, eventhough there were times when I wanted to stop watching, I'm glad I finished it. If you get the time finish it, you won't be disappointed. Now that I finished watching the entire series, I have to say I do like it better than Kang Xi Di Guo. What do you think?

Wow c13:4567 you sure know your history!
    nah...i just read up about him as i watched the series, if u ask me anything else on chinese history, i'll most likely be stumped.

I just finished watching the whole series and I have to take back what I said last time. Han Wu Di was definietly a brillant leader all the way to the end. He finally realized that his son had been framed and punished all those that had plotted against him. However it was quite sad when he realized how much his wars have ravaged his country. It seemed that he wanted to accomplish so much more, but time was not on his side.
    i don't how much more good he could have done by the end of his life. from what i learned, expert opinion on the miltary expeditions he initiated throughout his reign were kinda mixed. i mean, the xiongnu threat was not totally eliminated although they were driven further away, the state treasury was drained, population growth was stunted and the Han court eventually went back to the old method of sending tributes and girls. of course, not to mention the havoc he created with the whole witchcraft thing and the many rebellions towards the later part of his reign. u could say that the Western Han empire then was in decline and it took a while to recover to its peak under Han Xuandi.

I really enjoyed the series, even though there were times when I wanted to stop watching, I'm glad I finished it. If you get the time finish it, you won't be disappointed. Now that I finished watching the entire series, I have to say I do like it better than Kang Xi Di Guo. What do you think?
    glad u enjoyed it, i did too, immensely. i don't know when i'll finish it though, hopefully soon. i haven't seen Kang Xi Di Guo because i'm not so much into qing dynasty stuff, don't ask me why. also, whenever i watch historical shows, i like to do alot of background reading to check the facts from fiction so it takes alot of my time. nonetheless, i might give Kang Xi Di Guo a try since i heard good things about it.

I've heard this is a very good series. I'll borrow it from my friend and start watching is very soon ....

Don't know if this serial show Han Wu Di wrote the decree/memorial apologizing to his people of his past mistakes after his son's (crown prince) incident? According to what I read about him before, he's the only emperor who actually apologize to the people. That fact alone made me admire him even more. I really wish that I can have a copy of that writing.

Up to episode #30 right now --
    It's getting more and more interesting when the series progress ... so far I think it looks better than "Yong Zheng". Almost all characters were depicted so well in this series, even those of Huns.
    I wish I could see more of that young Han Wu Di since the actor is so handsome. Chen Bao Guo's face looks too old

I'll comment more after I'm completely done with it.

at epi 26 currently...

so far there are not many negatives for the series... although the editing can be improved, the transition between scenes at times was uneven. moreover, when they switched actors from the teenage Han wu di to the adult one, they failed to use a buffer period or a phrase like 'a few years have passed', instead it seemed like his face changed dramatically overnight.
    They probably want to show he has matured psychologically to a new level.
    I really like that young actor BTW.

Up to chapter 42 in Han Wu Da Di and it's getting quite good. The tai wang tai ho has died, and originally I disliked her character very much. Her favoritism of her younger son at the beginning and her control over the government during her oldest son's reign and especially in her grandson's reign angered me.
    What???!!!!!!!! That old blind grandmom didn't die until ep.42?!
    I still haven't seen how the Hans battle the Huns. Can't wait!!

This show is being telecast on cable tv soon....it looks impressive and so grand!!!..even more than Da Han Tian Zi!..how's the music and theme song??.....I keep thinking that Huang Xiao Ming should take part in this production..portray Liu Che as a young man/when he was crown prince..I just see him as THE Liu Che.
    Last edited by strawberry; 07-14-05 at 07:08 AM.

is lin jing the actress who played ding mingjun in hsds03, she looks really familiar.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    This show is being telecast on cable tv soon....it looks impressive and so grand!!!..even more than Da Han Tian Zi!..how's the music and theme song??.....I keep thinking that Huang Xiao Ming should take part in this production..portray Liu Che as a young man/when he was crown prince..I just see him as THE Liu Che.
    So, you're watching it now? Hope you'll like it.

Now you understand how I felt when I was watching this series. I also wish that Jiao Zhu was able to participate in this series as the young Liu Che. I always thought it would have been perfect if that happened. Too bad it did not.

Nonetheless, I started to really enjoy the series when Chen Bao Guo got onscreen.

One thing I just don't understand is that why didn't they cast better looking thespians for the series. It would have been much more pleasant and have more audiences. I know many people turned away from it simply because it looks ugly and non attractive.
    Last edited by chaule; 07-14-05 at 03:17 PM.