Thread: Which cheongsams should I wear?

Banned

Default Which cheongsams should I wear?

I will join a traditional Chinese party, but I'm so confused to choose my cheongsam style. A bit of apprehension has set it…there were so many cheongsams to choose from goodorient & I can't decide between these 2 lovely dresses, can I make a poll and you tell me which one I should pick, and why?
    Thanks so much everyone!

The first dress costs $79.98
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.goodorient.com/images/P/GDR1103_200.jpg')
    The second dress costs $85.98$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.goodorient.com/images/P/GDR1112_200.jpg')

the first one looks more traditional. the second one is very bold and beautiful, but it looks like it's confused. it doesn't look like a cheongsam to me.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by patricia n View Post
    the first one looks more traditional. the second one is very bold and beautiful, but it looks like it's confused. it doesn't look like a cheongsam to me.
    i agree. the first more is more traditional and i think its prettier.

I know nothing about cheongsams or w/e they are called but my personal opinion is that the first one looks alot better!

Depends how genuinely 'traditional' the Chinese party will be. I can advise both dresses are not 'traditional' Qi Paos but modernised designs of the original style.

Qi Paos were a revolutionary, almost rebellious style/fashion statement in itself. Material covering the whole body from neck to ankles gave the impression of being conservative, yet the blatant form fitting design and show of arms and legs wordlessly shouted something entirely the opposite.

I suggest going with the dress that suits your colouring and height. What looks good as a pic may not look good on you in person. If you don't have a handy seamstress as a relative, choosing a Qi Pao that doesn't compliment your height at least will look quite 'off setting' - Qi Paos are usually tailored to fit.