Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Preview of the Most Anticipated Films of 2005

i want to watch SIN CITY!
    frank miller write this, i think he also did batman year one too.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy8
    i want to watch SIN CITY!
    frank miller write this, i think he also did batman year one too.
    have you watch the trailer yet, Jessica Alba is super hot in the trailer! and rourke make-up as marv is exactly the same as in the comic.

This and other movies such as Immortel (ad vitam) (2004), Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004), and Casshern (2004) is the first movie that was shot on a completely "digital backlot" (i.e. with all the acting shot in front of a green screen and the backgrounds added during post-production)

the purpose of this is mainly to get the noir feeling of black and white hues environment as presented in Frank Miller comic book. Apparently the environment and the surrounding in the film are impossible to shot using the real location and the weather

yeai saw the preview looks awesome. i think it is half computer graphics/half drawing by frank miller.

constantine looks good too. i have never read hell blazer but alot of comic freaks like the story so i'm guessing it will be good too
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Eliar Swiftfire,

its not released in singapore yet that's why I ask about it.

did u watch it? was it good?

Quote Originally Posted by bobo
    Vampire fan eh? Me too.

I couldnt stand Underworld tho. It was too....gay. I liked the whole war between wolf and vampire thing but story about Micheal and the girl wasnt too fun to watch. Too predictable.
    I'm just supporting the genre in hopes of one day that an awe-inspiring vampire flick would come out. Possibly a day when vampires are immune to sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Eliar Swiftfire,

its not released in singapore yet that's why I ask about it.

did u watch it? was it good?
    Nope. Me dunno. Most reviews I've read said that it's either bad, or not as good as the Michael Caine original.

Now, as for Memoirs of a Geisha, there's this really sick and twisted being in me who wishes for it to fail badly, too much ruckus, too much 'WHOOHOO! ZHANG ZIYI'S IN IT! SHE'S THE SHIZNIT! SO THE MOVIE'S GONNA BE THE SHIZNIT AS WELL!' hoopla surrounding it in this forum. Sorry, but to me, she's overexposed. She's almost like the Chinese version of Lindsay Lohan, well, without the singing, I guess. Mwaha.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    stupid direction of the geisha movie, the story is all japanese but conquered by chinese actress - Ziyi, Gong Li and Michelle Yeoh. I guess they afraid that the movie is not marketable because most american doesn't recognise any famous japanese actress, what they doesn't realise is that millions of people already read the book.
    Michelle Yeoh doesn't look very Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Now, as for Memoirs of a Geisha, there's this really sick and twisted being in me who wishes for it to fail badly, too much ruckus, too much 'WHOOHOO! ZHANG ZIYI'S IN IT! SHE'S THE SHIZNIT! SO THE MOVIE'S GONNA BE THE SHIZNIT AS WELL!' hoopla surrounding it in this forum. Sorry, but to me, she's overexposed. She's almost like the Chinese version of Lindsay Lohan, well, without the singing, I guess. Mwaha.
    Don't tempt fate.

The reason why Michelle Yeoh doesn't look Japanese is because she's Malaysian.
    "It's good to know what you don't know." - The Twit

Xiao Shiyi Lang Book 2 - plodding thru Chap 27

Quote Originally Posted by rayon
    The reason why Michelle Yeoh doesn't look Japanese is because she's Malaysian.
    Obviously.

Although there ARE many Chinese people out there who look Japanese.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Precisely why she's wrong for her role.

Well, she's our good old 'DATUK' (to the uninitiated, a Datuk is more or less the equivalent of a knight in Malaysia) with a teeny weeny measure of international fame (yes, I said teeny weeny, because in truth, the whole 'INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR' thing is overblown, casual film fans in the west remember her only as a Bond girl, and the 'older woman' in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon), so having her might be safer than having an unknown Japanese actress for the role.

Of course, to me, it's all bullcrap. The whole thing's a gimmick. Hollywood's basically doing a 'let's make a film about Japanese people but instead of casting Japanese people we'll use the best-known Chinese actresses in the film industry! Yay!' stunt. I've already been too disgusted to feel excited about the movie ever since the whole Zhang Zi Yi rumours were confirmed to be true. When Gong Li and dearest DATUK Yeoh jumped into the fray, I was too braindead to react anymore.
    Swifty, Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Well, she's our good old 'DATUK' (to the uninitiated, a Datuk is more or less the equivalent of a knight in Malaysia) with a teeny weeny measure of international fame (yes, I said teeny weeny, because in truth, the whole 'INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR' thing is overblown, casual film fans in the west remember her only as a Bond girl, and the 'older woman' in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon), so having her might be safer than having an unknown Japanese actress for the role.

Of course, to me, it's all bullcrap. The whole thing's a gimmick. Hollywood's basically doing a 'let's make a film about Japanese people but instead of casting Japanese people we'll use the best-known Chinese actresses in the film industry! Yay!' stunt. I've already been too disgusted to feel excited about the movie ever since the whole Zhang Zi Yi rumours were confirmed to be true. When Gong Li and dearest DATUK Yeoh jumped into the fray, I was too braindead to react anymore.
    I agree about Yeoh's overblown popularity and LOL about the whole braindead bit. But who the heck is Gong Li? I'm pretty sure I heard that name before but my brain is not working right now (Want some prozac? I got lots). I hadn't realized that Zhang Ziyi was overexposed. When I think about it though, almost all chinese wuxia films I watched had her in it. I don't see anything extraordinary about her acting. It's just that the films she has appeared in have good plots. Gosh, I wish it was Zhao Wei. She can sure use the break. She doesn't have any major Hollywood film to her name.

Oh my god... if I have to choose between Vicky and Zhang ZiYi, I'll go with the latter. Vicky had appeared in too many trashy films for me to even take her seriously anymore. I hate her guts.
    Swifty, Writing

Well, you're entitled to your own opinion. I stand by my own.

Peace out

Of course. It's not as if I'm dissing you for being a Vicky fan.

At least we're both disgusted with Michelle Yeoh's delusions of grandeur.
    Swifty, Writing

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    The Chronicles of Narnia seems interesting. I hope it lives up to the book. Ditto for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, but that has Johnny Depp, so I think standards are somewhat assured.
    Definitely.

I'm also looking forward to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Bewitched. Nicole Kidman as Samantha Stevens should be very interesting.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Everyone involved with that movie is taking quite a risk, seeing as how everything they do will be relentlessly compared to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... good luck to them I suppose, personally, I don't see much point in remaking that movie. But nobody cares what I think anyways.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Definitely.

I'm also looking forward to Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Bewitched. Nicole Kidman as Samantha Stevens should be very interesting.
    Isn't Kidman a bit old for that part? And doesn't Will Farrell seem out of place?

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    Isn't Kidman a bit old for that part? And doesn't Will Farrell seem out of place?
    A bit, but I think she can still pull it off. As for Will Ferrell, I agree. His "Elf" persona is still firmly in my mind. We'll see how he does in a more serious role as Darren Stevens. I'm just anxious to watch the film 'cause I'm a big fan of the old TV series starring Elizabeth Montgomery.
    Last edited by Lady Zhuge; 01-07-05 at 03:15 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

I hope they will do a remake of "I Dream of Genie" eventually.