Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Point of No Return 《西關大少》

Default Point of No Return 《西關大少》

I just finished watching "Point of No Return." Wow, what a great series. I always thought Chi Lam was just a good looking guy with an average voice, but I changed my view about him after watching this series.

He acted so well when Charmaine stops caring about him and starts going out with that doctor. I totally understand the feelings of loving a girl and that girl falls in love with another guy. It just makes you want to die and Chi Lam portraited it to perfection. Also the song he sangs was very touching.

Anyone notice Chi Lam's stepmother looks like an older version of Elaine from Cookies? She is pretty good looking for her age.
    Last edited by triumph2004; 12-30-08 at 06:05 PM.

Yes! Chilam's acting in PONR was soooo good! I finished watching the series sometime in April this year... I thought the most touching scenes were when he was starving himself and when he found out that those words on the wall that Charmaine wrote was about the doctor... so sad! Elaine from Cookies looks like Angie Chiu? Is this who you're talking about?
    $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://hk.geocities.com/coscookies/Elaine3.jpg')

Yeah, thats her. Don't you think they look similar? Man, when I saw Chi Lam's face after he realized the writings were not written for him, I was so upset. It totally sucked. However, it does have a beautiful ending. They finally admit they love each other and able to get together. I was like, "it is so romantic" then my family were all laughing at me and my mom was like "don't be like Chi Lam and kneel on the ground so many times for the girl." I was like, "I don't know, I might do that if I find the right girl."

*sniff sniff* Chilam made me cry so many times during that movie... Every time he kneeled down for Charmaine I was so touched... He just loved Charmaine soooo much! Too bad there aren't really guys like that out there Lol!

I just finished watching this as well and I have to agree with you all, it was so touching! Everything that Chilam had to go through in order to be with his first and only love!! I'm so glad that the both of them could be together in the end. The two times that he kneeled down for Charmaine, I was so touched! When she denied him the first time, it was so sad. Chilam did an excellent job in here! His talent is definately not put to good use in TVB! I loved to see him mature and was able to follow his father's dream.

The love component of this series is unbelieveable! The love between Charmaine and Chilam was definately great, but also the love that his second mom had for the Chow family and all that she sacraficed for them and her late husband. WOW! I don't know her name, but the lady who played Chilam's second mother did a GREAT JOB in here! WOW! I am so impressed with her acting. I loved how she did everything for the Chow family and was able to help them recover the family business!

Damien also did a GREAT JOB in here! What an unbelievable performance from him, especially when he was dying. My favorite scene from him is when the two uncles of them family are trying to get him to sign a will saying that he will give up the business to them before Chilam turns 25. The last strength that he saved in order to scold them was unbelievable! It was so great that he was able to show everyone the true face of the two uncles and then when he made his own will, it was such a relief that he had left his business to his second wife.

This was a great series! I thought it was a good length, it wasn't too draggy. It's definately worth to watch even if it's just for Chilam. I noticed that they didn't say anything about the villians at the end..although that's not a big deal since the most important part was for Chilam and Charmaine to be together. But, maybe someone can clarify it for me. The two uncles took their stuff and left the Chow family, right? And then nothing was said bout Mr. Ng or Kevin Cheng's character in the end. I wished that Kevin's character could have at least admited he was wrong for doing what he did. As well, the girl at the beginning of the series who was shipped away due to the accusation of killing that little boy, wouldn't it be nice if she returned in the end to work for the Chow family?

I also love the theme song!!!

for me, this series is really good during the first parts. unfortunately it went downhill in the latter half of the series. the love story became so draggy that it sort of annoyed me. and i can't understand what's so good abt charmaine to have two guys love her so much. and i can't stand chi lam for kneeling thrice to charmaine! gosh for goodness sake, what did charmaine do to him to make him so lovesick!
    don't get me wrong, i really enjoyed chi lam's acting here, but i just can't stand his character.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by Butters
    Anyone notice Chi Lam's stepmother looks like an older version of Elaine from Cookies? She is pretty good looking for her age.
    She is not pretty good looking for her age. She is very good looking for her age. Can u guess how old is she by looking at her face?
    Last edited by kidd; 12-01-04 at 12:15 AM.

angie chiu? she actually looks like mid or late 30s to me, but i know she's already in her 50s i was very surprised when i read that in the papers
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    angie chiu? she actually looks like mid or late 30s to me, but i know she's already in her 50s i was very surprised when i read that in the papers
    She is not yet 50. She just turn 49 last month (if my info is correct).
    But, it's pretty amazing that a 49 year old lady can look so good.

ah really? hehe, 差不多啦!
    cherrie

Yeah Julian was so sweet in this series I loved it at the beginning how he and Charmaine kept fighting at the beginning the how they started to slowly fall for each other, he was so caring and understanding of her even when she had all those mood swings! It was so sad when they spilt up, and poor Julian kept thinking of ways that they could get back together again, I felt so bad for him!

Yeah Julian was so sweet in this series I loved it at the beginning how he and Charmaine kept fighting at the beginning the how they started to slowly fall for each other, he was so caring and understanding of her even when she had all those mood swings! It was so sad when they spilt up, and poor Julian kept thinking of ways that they could get back together again, I felt so bad for him! It was a good ending though!

Angie chiu does look really good for her age, I'm very impressed! I love her acting her in here too!

You know I realized that Chilam's mother didn't apologize at the end for everything that she did. She was so nasty to Angie's character and always accusing everyone of this and that. I also wished that everything she did got exposed, ie. the tricks she used to break up Charmaine and Chilam. She should have had to stand in front of Damien's grave and apologize to Angie and Damien, she should have told Damien that she accepts Angie as an equal wife to him. As well, Charmaine should have been told that the reason Chilam's friend (I can't remember her real name) got into an accident and was in a wheelchair was because he wanted to say goodbye to her before she left. Thinking about it, there are so many loose ends that were not quite tied up.

I think that the reason Chilam kneeled down twice for Charmaine is because he truly loved her. Yes, she's not that great looking or anything but he loved her so much that he was willing to do anything to get her back.

Default Point of no return

Is there a thread on this already? could not find it. how many episodes is this serial? does Kevin Cheng have a big role here?

30 esp. total. But I strongly recommend people not to rent this series. Quite bored
    Don't regret for what you've done.
    If you know you will regret,
    Don't do it in the first place.

The series is very good and interesting for the first half. After that, it got disappointing, especially Angie Chiu's performance (I think I'm gonna get trashed for saying this...), and the story between Chilam and Charmaine (particularly in the 2nd half). Watch for Damien Lau's performance! He was excellent!

No, Kevin has only a very small role in this series.

*****SPOILERS****

He acted as this despicable, cheating cad. Trust me, many times worse than that character he played in BF2

If u dun mind spoilers, this is one review from TVB square... http://wodetianna.tripod.com/id108.html
    Last edited by P-Chan; 01-09-05 at 01:29 AM.

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."

Who is Angie Chiu? really, Kevin turned out to be bad? he seems so innocent at this point in time....

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    Who is Angie Chiu? really, Kevin turned out to be bad? he seems so innocent at this point in time....
    U from S'pore? Then u must be watching the telecast on Starhub cable now . Yup, I was cheated by his "innocence" also when I watched it on DVD at first, hahahaha.... Anyway, Angie Chiu is the actress who acted as Yuqing, Damien's trusted assistant and the one he loved.

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."

i really liek this series.. well but i didnt like how Charmanie be with sammul when she knows she still like chi lam.. and i know why she left him and stuff but its just.. i dunno.. hahas
    bu bu jing xin

I'm watching this on cable now, i only like the part when Chilam teases and plays pranks on Charmaine. Th other parts are pretty bored. Kevin has a bad role here. Another those lame role again. Anyway guess for the next 2 months i have to bear with pretty lame bored shows on cable. Perhaps Net Deception can solve the problem.