Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ROCH: Chapter 24 onwards

Quote Originally Posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    I've read that. If you produced that article, I have some suggestions to correct it.

Passion flower (Passiflora) is a known flower and that name imo should not be used to describe Jin Yong's 'Love flower'.

Passion in 'Passion flower' doesn't mean 'love', it (from a Latin word) means 'the sufferings of Christ' especially the sufferings of Christ during the Passion Week.

I think you have at least heard of the film 'The Passion of the Christ' depicting the last 12 hours in Christ's life.

Passiflora (Passion flower)
    Brief overview of the history of the passion flower. It got its name from descriptions of its flower parts supplied by priests in the 'New Spain'. (South America) These were interpreted in 1609, by Jacomo Bosio in Rome, as representing various elements of the Crucifixion, five petals and five sepals (the ten disciples, minus Judas & Peter); outer fringe (the crown of thorns); five stamens (number of wounds Christ received) & knob-like stigmas of the pistil (the nails). This symbolism is not universal however, in Japan it is known as 'The Clock Plant'.

http://jubay.hp.infoseek.co.jp/ag-passion.jpg

Passion - the sufferings of Christ during the Passion Week (Holy Week) - the week before Easter Sunday.

Passion Sunday (Palm Sunday) - the day Jesus entered Jerusalem was the day before the Holy Week.
    Holy Week is the week from Holy Monday through Easter (Resurrection) Sunday.

Passion fruit (Maracuja)
    Passion Play - theatrical play about the Passion of Christ

The Passion Flower symbolism, as originally perceived, and then augmented, includes:

The spiraled tendrils - the lash of Christ's scourging

The central flower column - the pillar of the Scourging

The 72 radial filaments - the Crown of Thorns

The top 3 stigma - the 3 Nails

The lower 5 anthers - the 5 wounds

The Style - the Sponge used to moisten Christ's Lips with Vinegar

The leaves (some species) - the head of the Centurion's Spear

The red stains - Christ's Blood Drops

The Round Fruit - The World Christ came to save

The Fragrance - The Spices prepared by the Holy Women

This multiple symbolism of the Passion Flower combines a
    number of symbols found in flowers individually in the prior
    traditions of the rural countrysides of the Old World, from which
    the missionaries to the New World came.

Thus, in the popular oral religious traditions of Spain,
    Paliurus aculeatus was known as Espina de Cristo, "Christ's Thorn"
    (by which name it is generally known today) and Espina Santa, "Holy
    Thorn"; Pichomon acarna (?) as Azota-Christos, "Christ's Lash";
    Gentiana cruciata, Cross Gentian, and others, as Hierba en Cruz,
    "Herb of the Cross"; Ophioglossum vulgatum, Adder's-Tongue Fern, as
    Lanza de Cristo, "Christ's Lance"; and Fumaria officinalis,
    Fumitory, as Sangre de Cristo, "Christ's Blood". Familiarity with
    these or other plant symbols of the Passion and Cross of Christ no
    doubt pre-disposed missionaries and their converts to discover
    symbolism such as that of the Passion Flower, and to make
    transferrences such as that of the symbolism of "Mary's Gold" from
    the European Marigold, Calendula, to the golden Tagetes genus of the
    New World.

Such symbols gave a specific focus of Christian faith to
    the religious sense of nature, and also provided a visual means
    of teaching the Gospel story in an era where there were no
    printed catechisms.

And, once introduced into Europe, the Passion Flower soon
    acquired other religious names, such as in Germany, Jesus-Leiden,
    "Jesus' Passion"; Christos-Strauss, "Christ's Bouquet"; Herr-
    Gotts-Blume, "Our Lord's Flower"; Dorn-Krone, "Crown of Thorns";
    Christos-Krone, "Christ's Crown"; Marter, "Martyr"; and
    Muttergottes-Schurzchen, "Mother-of-God's Star".

nope I did not write that article. It's a wikipage. If u had some corrections, you could edit it. u don't have to be a member to do it. Thanx for the info.
    "It's good to know what you don't know." - The Twit

Xiao Shiyi Lang Book 2 - plodding thru Chap 27

yay thanks noodles this translation was great!!! it made more sense than the chinese thingy i read can only understand about 50-70% of the meaning of the chinese story.

You know noodles, i noticed a big change in your latest translation. you used to name people as like Xiao Long Nu or Zhao Zhi Jing but now you've changed to a style like Athena's and the names are made like Xiao longnu, also your gramma and the way you phrase have changed a lot as well and i mean a lot! also noticed that your translations have been becomming more and more shorter but that may be because these chapters are becoming shorter compared to the other previous chapters. Not to sound accusive but this doesn't look like your work. maybe its just me but.
    Last edited by darkshineknight; 01-16-05 at 08:16 AM.
    This is a plea to whom ever is in-charge of wuxiapedia to update the translations into it (or else start trying to get permission to put the content from the translators/editors).

thankxxx

Heh.. I personally didn't notice such changes... but its been quite a while since I last read Noodle's translations, and even more time from the last time I read a big chunk of'em (wich was actually the whole first 23 chapters or so ^^).

Anyways, thanks for all your work Noodles.

There are certain moments in writing/translating literature where the artist, in this case the writer/translator, due to constant practice and critiques from readers actually learn something and hence, improve his skills and raise his art farther. I think that's just what happened with Noodles in this case. The pinyin names...I don't know. It is added work to put the spaces between Xiao and Long and Nuu. Why not type them all in one go?

I didn't notice any particular changes in basic style. The stamp is there, though outwardly, it is undeniable that some changes -- a little smoothing of lines, refining of phrases -- did occur.
    "It's good to know what you don't know." - The Twit

Xiao Shiyi Lang Book 2 - plodding thru Chap 27

This is a happy day for me in this new year, Finally a update in the translation.

Thumbs up

Thanks Noodles!

I've to get another dosage of ROCH... again the missing-roch problem...
    Last edited by Felipe; 01-20-05 at 04:30 PM. Reason: type

hopelessly wandering amongst my school work

i thought a while back, Athena said she promised noodles she was going to translate chapters 25-28...i think...

just want 2 ask, if there are available translations of chapter 25...by athena perhaps?
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around

Several thumbs up Noodles, welcome back. On behalf of those who were suffering from withdrawal symptoms (including myself), Thanks man.

Athena has been busy and was unable to find time to translate the chapters. However, she has kindly translated a few excerpts which I will use when I get time to continue the translation.
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

oh ok, i knew there were excerpts translated by athena im just too lazy to find out what those excerpts are

anyway, thanks so much for chpater24, Gugu and Guo Fu seems to have shared some traits.......that is...both are stupid enough to jump into conclusions..hehe..well i guess for gugu its different all was due to her pure innocence, she wasnt aware people could be so deceitful, as for Guo Fu......shez just a plain old spoiled brat
    Last edited by Chon-Ji; 01-21-05 at 09:37 PM.
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around

Anyone have a complete, good copy of ROCH 95 version? If you do, do you think you can maybe upload the series onto a BitTorrent network (e.g. HongFire or TorrentReactor or {BoxTorrents - has lots of anime files}, search for the site url on google). After I completely download it, I will provide the seeding for the file if you no longer have the time to seed it.

Encode the video into .OOG format for best compression, and it would be greater if the video had English subs or voice overs, but chinese will also do just fine.
    Last edited by Adryn Novan; 01-25-05 at 01:17 PM.

That's a good idea... hope someone has it

NOODLES IS STILL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!
    Little Dragon Girl

I forgot to inform everyone, u can download the first season of the ROCH anime at ..... Just search for 'condor' on the search page.

U need to register at ..... though.

And if u download and finish it, please keep seeding it because with very few seeders, the download is very slow. I myself have only finished 3%.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-24-05 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Removing bittorent site

Quote Originally Posted by Adryn Novan
    I forgot to inform everyone, u can download the first season of the ROCH anime at Boxtorrents.com. Just search for 'condor' on the search page.

U need to register at .... though.

And if u download and finish it, please keep seeding it because with very few seeders, the download is very slow. I myself have only finished 3%.
    I've till eps 22 but i think I will have to delete it.... is it safe to register there?
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-24-05 at 10:56 PM.

Yes, ..... is safe to register, u just need to make a username and password.
    Last edited by Noodles; 01-24-05 at 10:56 PM.

guys, girls, mods....everyone!

If we can keep the comments and discussions relevant to Noodle's translation, I'd think it'll be much better and more productive for thread.

All these subthreads on downloading, this and that....it ruins the posting of this fine translation work being done by Noodle. Just take a look at what happen to the other thread...it's bombarded by a lot of nonsense and junk and just adds to detract from the awesome translation that's been done.

thanks for reading!

endo

Quote Originally Posted by endo
    guys, girls, mods....everyone!

If we can keep the comments and discussions relevant to Noodle's translation, I'd think it'll be much better and more productive for thread.

All these subthreads on downloading, this and that....it ruins the posting of this fine translation work being done by Noodle. Just take a look at what happen to the other thread...it's bombarded by a lot of nonsense and junk and just adds to detract from the awesome translation that's been done.

thanks for reading!

endo
    well , I really don't mind. If its related to roch somehow its valid to post. Besides the other thread got too big 'cause people were posting too much that they miss noodles translation and thats is something inevitable, because we miss it and post (maybe to search for some symphaty or share the same feelings with others that feel the same) unless it's disturbing noodles or the major i don't think it should stop... I even like it. Frequently I access the forum especialy for ROCH and if there's some info related to it, it saves me time... don't know the others... but its just my opinion...

It seems its another unecessary discusion as well...

sorry for grammar errors...