Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: ROCH: Chapter 24 onwards

Its really disappointing how little the effort they gave in making the anime for ROCH. Its almost a slap to JY himself. Although I must admit, the anime is the first thing that got me interested in reading these great novels, oh and XLN in the anime is very well designed except for the missing white robes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Its really disappointing how little the effort they gave in making the anime for ROCH. Its almost a slap to JY himself. Although I must admit, the anime is the first thing that got me interested in reading these great novels, oh and XLN in the anime is very well designed except for the missing white robes.
    The characters looked pretty ok but there are some angles where the figures look distorted, especially when they're moving. I say the animation is downright bad, but I like it anyway.
    "It's good to know what you don't know." - The Twit

Xiao Shiyi Lang Book 2 - plodding thru Chap 27

Quote Originally Posted by rayon
    The characters looked pretty ok but there are some angles where the figures look distorted, especially when they're moving. I say the animation is downright bad, but I like it anyway.
    Yeah I like it too coz its ROCH. If only it was done right it could be one of the top rated animes. Im saying this coz I do believe that any novel of JY is a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Bangs
    Yeah I like it too coz its ROCH. If only it was done right it could be one of the top rated animes. Im saying this coz I do believe that any novel of JY is a masterpiece.
    Yeah, even if the anime storyline sometimes deviates from the storyline in the novel. The characters aren't that faithful to the descriptions in the novel either. Like Xiao Long Nuu's clothes. Also, I noticed, Hong Qi Gong is supposed to be missing a thumb, but not in the anime.

Default Chapter 25 (Paragraphs 1-10)

Domestic Strife, Foreign Aggression (Nei You Wai Huan)

[Paragraph 1]

Zhou Botong raised his head, searching the top but finding no flag there, he could not help being startled. He had only thought that Jinlun Fawang would be hiding somewhere below, waiting to ambush him then seize the opportunity to route him completely.

It was a smooth plan but not even ten thousand guesses could prepare him for this: the flag was not hoisted.

He looked around. The camp was filled with numerous tents. Yet, he must try to find it before leaving.

[Paragraph 2]

Zhao Zhijing was about to move forward to greet him but he changed his mind. He thought, If I go and tell him now, he'll be suspicious. I must first let him look everywhere and when he doesn't succeed, then he can't help feeling dejected. At that time, I'll go out and tell him where the flag is. Only then will he be able to show his gratitude towards me.

He crouched behind a tent to watch the motionless Zhou Botong only to see his body shoot upwards towards the top of the flag pole. He leapt several chi high and used one hand to brace himself against the pole. Then he used his other hand to quickly pull himself up until he reached the top.

Zhao Zhijing was secretly astonished. Grand Martial Uncle Zhou must be almost a hundred years old. Even if he practiced the Taoist doctrines, he still would not be able to avoid the slowing effects of old age. Yet, he is still as agile as a youth. So the stories in Wulin are really true.

[Paragraph 3]

Once up there, Zhou Botong scanned the whole camp, seeing several flags fluttering in the wind but none of them was the king's flag. He raised his head and shouted: "Jinlun Fawang, where is the king's flag?"

This angry yell was carried far and wide, its faint echoes bouncing off the cordillera to the West. Fawang had already reported the matter to Huo Bilie so even though the whole army heard his shout, they remained silent.

[Paragraph 4]

Zhou Botong warned: "Fawang, if you still don't reply, I might have to scold you."

There was still no response.

Zhou Botong scolded: "Jinlun Fawang, you rotten dog, you call yourself a hero? You're worse than a turtle who refuses to come out of its shell!"

From the East, someone suddenly called out: "Mischievous Old Urchin, if you want to steal the king's flag, it's right here."

Zhou Botong quickly rushed down the pole, shouting: "Where?"

But after shouting, that person was silent. Zhou Botong searched countless tents but did not know where to start.

[Paragraph 5]

Farther away, the person shouted: "The king's flag is right here! The king's flag is right here!"

Zhou Botong dashed towards that sound but that person's voice was softer now, growing fainter and fainter. Zhou Botong only took a few steps but the voice was already fading in and out like gossamer until finally it stopped.

In reality, he did not know how far the voice was from camp.

Zhou Botong called out angrily: "Fawang, you rascal, are you playing hide-and-seek with me? Do you want me to burn down this whole camp so you'll come out?"

[Paragraph 6]

Zhao Zhijing thought, If he sets the camp on fire, that can't be good. He hurried forward and said in a low voice: "Grand Martial Uncle Zhou, don't light a fire."

Grand Martial Uncle Zhou said: "You Taoist priest, it's you! Why can't I light a fire?"

Zhao Zhijing quickly lied: "They intentionally want you to light a fire because the whole camp is filled with explosives. When you ignite it, the whole place could explode."

Zhou Botong was shocked. "It's a clever trick but also mean and cruel."

[Paragraph 7]

Zhao Zhijing was relieved to see that he believed him. He added: "I secretly inquired around and found out about this clever trick. I was afraid that you did not know about this so I had to tell you."

Grand Martial Uncle Zhou said: "Mmm, your intentions are good. If you hadn't told me, this Mischievous Old Urchin could have been killed."

Zhao Zhijing replied: "I also took a great risk by finding out where the king's flag is. Grand Martial Uncle Zhou, please come along with me."

But Zhou Botong suddenly said: "Don't tell me, don't tell me! If I can't find it, then I must admit defeat."

The bet to find the flag was an amusing game. But if Zhao Zhijing gave him directions, he would feel bad even if he won because this kind of game required stealth.

[Paragraph 8]

Zhao Zhijing felt anxious. Then suddenly, he remembered, He is known as the Mischievous Old Urchin, his mood is not ordinary. I must tempt him first so he can get hooked.

He said: "Grand Martial Uncle, I also want to steal the flag. Let's have a race as to who finds it first."

After saying that, he quickly rushed towards the hills. When he got there, he turned to find Zhou Botong following behind. He then darted to the third hill, pondering aloud: "They said that it's in a cave between two elm trees but where are these two elm trees?"

He rushed around the place but actually did not approach the cave where Fawang hid it. Suddenly, he heard Zhou Botong exclaim: "I found it first!" He was standing between the two elm trees.

[Paragraph 9]

Zhao Zhijing smirked, thinking, He stole the king's flag. He'll surely favor me now. What's more, I stopped him from setting the camp on fire. He thinks I saved his life. Everything is going exactly as Fawang planned.

Satisfied, he started to step inside the cave.

[Paragraph 10]

Suddenly, he heard a loud shout, the sound extremely sharp. Zhou Botong cried out: "Poisonous snake! Poisonous snake!"

Shocked, Zhao Zhijing quickly withdrew his foot that was already inside the cave. He asked: "Grand Martial Uncle! There's a poisonous snake inside the cave?"

Grand Martial Uncle Zhou replied: "It's not a snake... it's not a snake..."

The voice was already getting weaker.

-----------------------------
    Since nobody was paying attention to this chapter, I decided to try my hand in it. I love the Old Urchin!
    Last edited by rayon; 09-03-05 at 12:44 AM.

Thank you very much Rayon, now the novel will be conected again. :cheers:

-----------------------------
    Since nobody was paying attention to this chapter, I decided to try my hand in it. I love the Old Urchin!
    Thanks a bunch rayon. Keep it up and we'll all love you for it'

Ahah! The missing link! Thx a bunch Rayon! Astig!

Thanks you guys. The next one should be up in 5 yrs. Promise.

Brat!

Default Chapter 25 (Paragraphs 11-20)

Domestic Strife, Foreign Aggression (Nei You Wai Huan)

[From Paragraph 10: Suddenly, he heard a loud shout, the sound extremely sharp. Zhou Botong cried out: "Poisonous snake! Poisonous snake!"

Zhao Zhijing anxiously gathered some twigs and lit it, using it as a torch so he could see inside the cave.

He saw Zhou Botong on the ground, his left hand still clutching the flag. He was brandishing it as though trying to keep him away.

Zhao Zhijing asked: "Grand Martial Uncle, are you all right?"

Zhou Botong replied: "I have been poisoned...venom...venom...was bitten..."

But before he could finish his statement, his hand had gradually grown limp.

Zhao Zhijing had seen him enter the cave but despite his high kung fu, he was still seriously injured. That was why he did not want to rush in without knowing what kind of fierce poison it was that afflicted him. What's more, the flag that Zhou Botong was clutching was not the same color as the king's flag.

He thought, Fawang had connived with me to trick him into entering the cave but it was really his intention to harm him by poisoning the thing.

He was extremely vexed. He only wanted to flee. So, without even bothering to see what it was that harmed Zhou Botong or what kind of poison it was, he just turned around and ran away.

The fire from the torch that he dropped on the way out was beginning to die out.

Halfway out, he was stopped by someone who was holding out a hand to him.

That person spoke softly: "Are you always this disrespectful to your seniors?"

The voice was distinctly stern but also as pure and as clear as jade.

In the darkness, he saw the lithe form of a woman dressed in flowing white clothes.

She was none other than Xiao Long Nuu.

The light from the torch shone on her, revealing a beautiful face. Though delicate-looking, the face actually bore an angry expression.

Zhao Zhijing was taken aback and rendered speechless. He was not expecting her and now that she was here, all he wanted was to run away. But, he could not even take a single step.

In truth, Xiao Long Nuu had been observing Zhao Zhijing from a distance, watching his every action. When he made Zhou Botong chase him towards the hills, Xiao Long Nuu followed as well.

Zhou Botong knew this but did not pay attention to it. Zhao Zhijing, on the other
    hand, was completely unaware.

Xiao Long Nuu bent down and picked up the torch, using it to illuminate Zhou Botong's prostrate form. His face was shadowed and green-like in its pallor.

From her bosom, she casually took out her golden silk glove and slipped it on before lifting his arm to inspect it. She was shocked to find three spiders appear, their mouths firmly attacked to Zhou Botong's finger.

The spiders looked extremely strange. Their bodies had alternating red and green stripes that were so bright, one could get mesmerized watching them.

She knew that venomous animals were usually bright in color. The brighter their color, the more lethal the venom.

These three spiders were still firmly biting unto Zhou Botong's finger.

If she tried to capture them, they would only evade her grasp. Finally, she raised her right hand and sent three jade bee needles into the air, killing the three spiders immediately.

While sending the jade bee needles towards them, she had used the right amount of force to kill the spiders without injuring Zhou Botong.

This species of spider was called "Cai Xue Zhu" (Snow-Colored Spider) and they only lived in the snowy mountains of Tibet. Their venom was one of the three most deadly poisons in the world.

Jinlun Fawang had brought them with him from the East, intending to use it against famous poison experts in the Central Plains.

That time when he tried to kill Guo Jing in Xiangyang, he had not thought of using the venomous snow-colored spiders but after he was hit by Li Mo Chou's Bing Po Yin Zheng (Soul Freezing Silver Needle), he angrily returned to the encampment and took the spiders out of their golden case. He only hoped that he would meet Li Mo Chou again and then have her taste their venom.

Thus, it was just Zhou Botong's misfortune to make the bet with him in stealing the flag. After making a deal with Zhao Zhijing, he placed the venomous spiders on the flag and hid it inside the cave.

Once the snow-colored spiders saw flesh and blood, they would immediately throw themselves against it and bite down hard. They were attracted to blood and once one got bitten, one could never escape.

Their venom was so lethal that no one, not even Fawang, knew the antidote. He himself was not willing to stick the spiders too close to his body, afraid of getting bitten.

Such a disaster he could ill-afford.

Xiao Long Nuu's jade bee needles also came from highly venomous insects, the jade bees of Mount Zhong Nan. Although the lethalness of their venom was inferior compared to that of the snow-colored spiders, the needles managed to enter their bodies, forcing them to produce the anti-venom.

The venomous spiders were still biting on to its prey when they were hit. Because they were still in the process of producing anti-venoms and also sending out their own venoms to their prey, they could not fight off the venom from the needles.

However, right before they died, their bodily fluids spurted out of their mouths, sending the anti-venom into Zhou Botong's blood stream.

It was extremely fortunate that Xiao Long Nuu had rushed in to save him and saw the venomous spiders. Not daring to touch them, she instead launched three needles and luckily hit them, thus managing to discover the antidote to the world's most lethal venoms.

Xiao Long Nuu spied the three snow-colored spiders' lifeless forms on the ground, their bright red-green colors still managing to look fearsome.

She also saw Zhou Botong lying motionless as though he was dead.

In truth, she actually felt quite grateful to Zhou Botong. If not for him, Yang Guo would not have come to Passionless Valley and she would have been forced to marry Gongsun Zhi.

His whole body was covered in cold sweat and his breathing had grown irregular. Who would have thought he would die like this? In her heart, she was deeply moved.

But all of a sudden, Zhou Botong's left hand began to move and she heard him say in a faint voice: "What was it that bit me with such...such fierceness?"

He tried to get up but his body was too weak so that he stumbled.

Xiao Long Nuu was overjoyed to find that he was not yet dead. She lifted the torch closer to his face and saw that traces of the spiders's venom was no longer there.

Relieved, she asked: "You did not die?"

Zhou Botong chuckled: "Well, it doesn't look that way. I am right between half-death and half-life...haha..."

He wanted to laugh heartily but his hands and feet were twitching to get up. His smile faded.
    Last edited by rayon; 09-06-05 at 03:56 AM.

Finally, after a couple of months abstinence, I'll be able to have a dose of ROCH once again. Based from the recent posts and translations I assume BeeDreamer is the man of the house now

There are like 31 chapters translated already right? so that means there are 7 long chapters for me to indulge! not bad, I have the whole week to finish them. I'll probabaly read again chapter 24 and review some of the early chapters just to set up the pace, good thing the forum still has some of the early translations down to chapter 8.

anyway, thanks again BeeDreamer, your work is very much well appreciated
    I'm loving you already!

P.S.
    Uhm...it's still a shock for me, but AXN-ASIA just resumed airing the remaining episodes of ROCH anime. They air two episodes per day! wohoooo. Hopefully they will air the whole of the final installment to the series which is from episode 27-52.

Well, Crossfade-fansubs is also doing a release of the anime. They've already released 47 episodes but their pace is kinda slow since they have so many projects to handle, including the LOCH live-action; so with this I take that AXN probably will catch up and end up finishing the series first

anyway bye for now guys, hopefully I'll be able to catch up with you in the discussions
    Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around

Wow! Thanx so much Rayon. Time to read....

BTW, Bee is the LADY of the house now eheheh.

Thanks rayon meimei. I'll retract the 'Brat'.... for now.
    Wizard
    Last edited by JamesG; 09-06-05 at 02:44 PM.

Gods, I forgot how exhausting Jin Yong can be. I'm so glad AXN-Asia aired Season 2 coz I've never seen this before. It's still in Cantonese but at least there are subs. Plus, I think the animation of the action scenes here are better than Season 1 although the characters have gotten much worse (their eyes are blank).

AXN-Asia will surely overtake the fansubbed version of Condor Hero Season 2. Oh btw, Crossfade just released episode 48 today via bt.

Gods, I forgot how exhausting Jin Yong can be. I'm so glad AXN-Asia aired Season 2 coz I've never seen this before. It's still in Cantonese but at least there are subs. Plus, I think the animation of the action scenes here are better than Season 1 although the characters have gotten much worse (their eyes are blank).
    Reading, translating two books, watching series and work!!
    Get some sleep!! Wizard

it's sad that the quality of animation degraded even more, anyhow, what matter most are the translations, we could use the animated series just a graphic support so we could have better picture of what's happening, but come to think of it the words describe it better than the pictures in the series....

@Bangs
    did you get my PM? so will you be sending me those archived ROCH translations
    Last edited by Chon-Ji; 09-07-05 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chon-Ji
    @Bangs
    did you get PM? so will you be sending me those archived ROCH translations
    Just visit wuxiapedia.com. They have just about everything.

Rayon-sama arigato gozaimasu

This site is perfect, it has all the translations even up to 31 all neatly organized, wahooooo,

thanks so much