Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which TVB series is better: 1980's vs 1990's

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted

sigh...
    I DO NOT agree with your disrespect towards Adam Cheng. He was not a 50 year old man when he was playing the role of Chor Lau Heung. He acted as Chor Lau Heung years ago (in his youth) WAY before Miu Kiu Wai or Richie Ren. He is among the first to play the role of Chor Lau Heung.

Show some respect!

P.S. MANY people love Adam Cheng as Chor Lau Heung and that is why he was in CLH 1995. If he wasn't great in the role, directors and producers would not offer the role to him. You don't see Miu Kiu Wai or Richie Ren being offered the role more than once have you?

BTW....I like both Adam and Michael Miu Kiu Wai as CLH.
    Last edited by Suet Seung; 10-15-05 at 03:54 PM.

Banned

The 80s tvb series are laughable. The 90s are good. However in the twenty-first century, mainland series are getting way much better than tvb.

Visit this site!!
    link

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung
    I DO NOT agree with your disrespect towards Adam Cheng. He was not a 50 year old man when he was playing the role of Chor Lau Heung. He acted as Chor Lau Heung years ago (in his youth) WAY before Miu Kiu Wai or Richie Ren. He is among the first to play the role of Chor Lau Heung.

BTW....I like both Adam and Michael Miu Kiu Wai as CLH.
    It is quite odd in the sense that Adam Cheng somehow turns to be the logo of CLH. We can see him in almost every versions of it, apart from Miu Kiu Wai's version (which he also did a very good job as CLH) and Richie Ren's version (don't want to mention).

For me, of course, everything goes for the 80s, except State of Divinity 1996.

Legend of the Condor Hereos - I prefer the 83 version with Felix and Barbara. They had unbeatable chemistry. Felix gave one of his best performances in his career. He was too adorable in there.

Return of the Condor Hereos- I love the 95 version with Carmen Lee and Louis koo. Carmen is beautiful as ever in here.

Demi Gods & Semi Devils - I have not seen the 82 version, but I'm planning to buy it soon. The 96 version is excellent though. Very fast pace, you can hardly find a dull moment. Felix is the best Kiu Fung ever.

Duke of Mountain Deer - The obvious 84 version with Andy Lau and Tony Leung. I didn't like any other remakes.

Flying Fox of the Snowy Mountain - None of them really. I guess the 90's version because Felix Wong, Marco Ngai and Maggie Siu made it worth watching. Beautiful scenery too.
    Last edited by bebe_girl; 02-01-06 at 08:02 PM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bouncingBrain
    I don't really care about technology. Better story -- preferably more faithful to the original novel, better acting whichs better reflects the characters of the novel. I want my kids to get a feel of the heroic elements that's reflected in the characters of the novel.
    I think if this is what you are looking for. You should go for the 80's series. Mind your kids, not to laugh at the costumes and special effect (they were done back in the day where putting people on wire to jump around is not an option). But for story line, acting, and development of characters? Hands down the 80's series!!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

I was just looking at the links on the previous page and I'm so surprised to see LOCH82 the second most watched series ever next to 'Looking Back In Anger!" Wow both starring Felix too.

Quote Originally Posted by bebe_girl
    I was just looking at the links on the previous page and I'm so surprised to see LOCH82 the second most watched series ever next to 'Looking Back In Anger!" Wow both starring Felix too.
    PErsonally, Felix Wong is a good season actor. Most of the series that was done by him did well. He has probably been in many oldies and the 90's series. Anybody know what projects/movies, he's been in lately?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Isn't he working with Andy Lau in a new movie called "Wait 'till You're Older?" I'm not sure if they're finished filming. Felix must be very proud to be the main lead in the most watched series of all times in both ancient and modern. And they're both great series too.
    Last edited by bebe_girl; 02-03-06 at 02:05 AM.

I think both TVB is great in both decades.

I never get to see Michelle Me Suyet of LOCH version. However I like the following.

LOCH 83 - Felix Wong, Barbara Yung
    TLBB 83 - Felix Wong, Idy Chan
    ROCH 83 - Andy Lau, Idy Chan
    HSDS 1986 - Tony Leung, Kitty Lai
    CLH - Michael Miu, Barbara Yung

Quote Originally Posted by adamcheng22447
    You must be kidding. Adam's version was filmed in 1979 FYI. I'll let you do the math.
    I used to always remember Adam as CLH whenever I see him after watching CLH but after Greed Mask until today I only refer to him as 'Ting Hai" LOL
    可惜不是你 陪我到最后

Both 80's and 90's decade are great. I love both.

Red face

I like The legend of white snake starring angie chiu and cecilia yip
    .***...***...***...***...***...***.
    ^LoVe--%***%--AnGiE`ChiU^
    ========================

Smile

Even though i grew up watching the 90s shows..i must admit the 80s is better.
    Alec Vicki, Raymond Michelle, Bosco Myolie

*Currently watching*
    Fantasy Hotel
    Life Made Simple
    Gentle Crackdown

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_yen
    I like The legend of white snake starring angie chiu and cecilia yip

Me too.

That would be my favourite series ever.

There's just something about the 80s that reaches out to the viewers more than the 90s series. What I mean is the series in the 80s are able to touch and move the audience more in my opinion. A great example would be the background music and the themesongs from the 80s. The newer generation may not like the old school music and fighting, but those who have grown up with that kind of genre and style appreciate it. Most of the 90s remakes were pretty good in my opinion, but they weren't as captivating as the 80s remakes. For example in LOCH, both versions were well done. But there weren't really any memorable scenes in Julian's version. From the top of my head, I remember a few very touching and memorable scenes from Felix's version. The death of Yeung Hong's parents accompanied by Roman's song. Pan Pan saving Michael Miu's life by inheriting his poison with Jenny Yan's song. The death of Yeung Hong with Pan Pan by his side and singing him a song. Felix mourning over the death of the Gong Nam 7 Freaks while Roman's song is being played and Felix reflecting back how his masters found and taught him his martial arts. There are many other scenes that were very memorable in the series, but those same scenes seemed very ordinary in Julian's version.