Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which TVB series is better: 1980's vs 1990's

Unhappy Which TVB series is better: 1980's vs 1990's

The original "Legend Of The Condor Heroes" ( and "Return") and "Demi-gods and Semi-devil" ("Tianlung babu") series were made in the early 1980s. They were remade in the 1990s.

For each of the series, do you think the original is better or the remake?

The only one I've seen in full was the 1980s "Tianlung Babu". I want to get the sets for my kids to watch.

Thanks.

Senior Member KennyLeeJianSiong's Avatar

it would depends on what you want to see.

better set and costumes?
    better acting?
    or better technology?
    Sam and Zoe are FOREVER and EVER!
    Please visit :Codename : Dreams|| Get TVB Theme songs here & here

Quote Originally Posted by KennyLeeJianSiong
    it would depends on what you want to see.

better set and costumes?
    better acting?
    or better technology?
    I don't really care about technology. Better story -- preferably more faithful to the original novel, better acting whichs better reflects the characters of the novel. I want my kids to get a feel of the heroic elements that's reflected in the characters of the novel.

Nothing beats old school. The only thing that ever came close was ROCH '95.

The 1980s!

I haven't seen The Legend of the Condor Heroes '84 but after watch The Return of the Condor Heroes '95. That the best serie that I ever seen.

I love the old series.......i think it's mainly cuz i love the actors and actresses from the 80s.
    where art thou prince? i want to wake up!

Actually the 1982 version of Legend of the Condor Heroes (LOCH) and Return of the Condor Heroes (ROCH84) are not the original, they're remakes too. The earliest versions of LocH and ROCH are made in the 70s.

This site offer's it's opinions on the different versions of Jin Yong's novels LOCH and ROCH. But we all have different opinions so read and decide for yourself.

http://taykis.tripod.com/loch_versions.html

http://taykis.tripod.com/roch_versions.html

For Demi-God Semi Devils, our Forum administrator wrote a review on it, saying the 1997 remake was more faithful and flowed better, to read more about the comparison between the 1982 and the 1997, I suggest you read these reviews:

http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=148

You can go to this link, I think there are some reviews that made some comparison with the old and new adaptions:
    http://spcnet.tv/tvb.shtml

http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/production.php?sID=1

As for my personal opinion, I like both old and new adaptions. Loch82, Roch83, Loch94, Roch95, I've never seen DGSD82 so I'd go with DGSD96. To me the BEST State of Divinity (Xiao Ao Jiang Hu) is the 1996 version. Don't watch the Chow Yun Fat version of it.

http://sodcctv.tripod.com/sod96.html

Any more questions?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

I haven't read the original novels but only saw the TV series for LOCH, ROCH and DGSD.......however read commentaries on the individual characters, so have an idea to how the characters in the novel should be.

My opinion on Jin Rong remakes based on acting, and level of enjoyment for the shows, I recommend LOCH 82, ROCH 83 and DGSD 98, as well as, if in your interest, The Proud Wanderer 96, the Book and Sword 85

Thanks for the responses, they are very helpful. I'll look at the links.

I'm more familiar with the actors of the 1970s and 1980s (I'm older than I look ) so I guess I'm naturally biased towards the earlier adaptations. I'll try to keep an open mind when I do the research.
    A voice in my head tells me so.

Personally, I think in comparison to other adaptations, these are the best ones:

LOCH - of course 1983 with Barbara Yung and Felix Wong! No competition to me.

ROCH - I think 1985 with Andy Lau is better overall, but I prefer Carmen Lee's SLL.

DGSD - never watched the 80s adaptation but the 1996 adaptation is pretty good.

HSDS - People might be shocked hearing this, but I prefer 2000 adaptation, just based on Gigi Lai's Chiu Man. I have always hated Chiu Man no matter which adaptation I watched, Gigi Lai is the only one that I rooted for. And Charmaine's CCY is the only CCY I loathe. I love Sheren Tang's and like Kathy Chow's CCY. But to be objective, I think 80s adaptation with Tony Leung should be the best. Especially, Tony Leung is just the fit CMG.

CLH - No question, The New Adventures of Chor Lau Heung 1984 by Miu Kiu Wai and Barbara Yung, even if it is not close to the novel.

Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain - I don't like both versions, 80s and 90s, probably because I don't like the storyline. But 80s version is more captivating.

Duke of Mount Deer - I think it should be 1980s with Andy Lau and Tony Leung, although I haven't watched the one by Jordan. I only base it on that Tony Leung just fits WSB more than Jordan.

Last, but not least,

Smiling Proud Wanderer/State of Divinity -
    Although I haven't watched the 80s adaptation, Jackie Liu and Fiona Leung are always the LingWu Chong and Yam Ying Ying I imagined when I read the novel, even before knowing that they are casted as those two characters. Yi Lam in 1996 is also the perfect Yi Lam, fitting both physically and actingwise. I'm already more than satisfied with this version's casting and its truth to story that I think it will be forever engraved as the SPW in my heart like LOCH 1983. However, I think they could do better in the SPW song and both LingShan and Lam PingZhi. Chow Yun Fat is just out of the picture to be the sick yet energetic, witty, playful and easygoing LWC. And LWC is like what matter most in the story. So, I will say 1996 SOD is the best adaptation of SPW.

The only remake that was clearly better in the 90s is the DGSD 97 with Felix Wong, Benny Chan, Carmen Lee.

Also I think the 90s version of State of Divinity was better than the original Smiling Proud Wanderer, but a case can be made for either.

For all other JY adaptations, the 80s versions truely outshines the 90s versions by miles.

As many have said, the 80's version of ROCH with Barbara Yung and Felix Wong and LOCH with Andy Lau and Idy Chan are classics. I also like DGSD 82, mainly because I like the portrayals of the main characters by the 80s actors better, although of course the 90s version is faster paced.

Duke of Mount Deer with Andy Lau and Tony Leung was also better than the 90s version, although Noel Leung as the character of Ah Gau was better than the old version- I think it was Sheung Tin Ngo in the old version. The 80s version of Flying Fox from Snowy Mountain was also better than the odd 90s remake with Sunny Chan.

The exception would be the 90s version of State of Divinity was way better than the 80s version with Chow Yun Fat, mainly because he was so ill suited to be in ancient costume.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    The only remake that was clearly better in the 90s is the DGSD 97 with Felix Wong, Benny Chan, Carmen Lee.

Also I think the 90s version of State of Divinity was better than the original Smiling Proud Wanderer, but a case can be made for either.

For all other JY adaptations, the 80s versions truely outshines the 90s versions by miles.
    I agree with this. Felix just so good as Kieu Phong in that serie. But his role as Hu Truc in the 80s was memorable as well.
    I don't think Chow Yun Fat will ever fit in ancient serie, especially Kiem Hiep.

Chor Lau Heung
    Adam Cheng is the best Chor Lau Heung ever. So, Chor Lau Heung 97 will be the best Chor Lau Heung story adaptation. It's also more faithful to the original story.

State of Divinity/Proud Smilling Wanderer
    As for State Of Divinity, there's no comparison. I nearly fell asleep watching the 80's version starring Chow Yun Fatt, but SOD96 was one of my all time favourite wuxia series.

Duke of Mount Deer
    Pacing wise, I prefer the 90's version. But Tony Leung is a better Wai Siu Bo (in fact the best WSB). The girls in the 80's version are also more beautiful. So, I give the vote to the 80's version.

Demi God Semi Devil
    I have only watch the 97 version, but I felt this series is very well done. Although I prefer the China version of Kiu Fung (only watch the first 2 episodes).

Luk Siu Fung
    As for the Luk Siu Fung series, I was too little when I watched the Alex Man version, so, I don't remember anything about it. But Luk Siu Fung 76 is very good, mainly because of good potrayal of the characters by the actors. The action and dialog is a bit slow though.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Chor Lau Heung: Adam's adaption is the most popular (he is Chor Lau Heung), has the best cast and quite faithful to the novel. Incomparable and irreplaceable.

Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber
    : The 1978 version with Adam, Liza Wang, Angie Chiu, Idy Chan is the best even though TVB changed the ending from the novel; but they did remake a happy ending (aired on K-100) after receiving a huge amount of complaints.

Duke of Mount Deer: I like Tony Leung's version most because I don't like Dicky Cheung's acting there.

Luk Siu Fung: I love the 1977's version mainly because of the character Yip Koo Sing.

Legend of Condor Heroes: I personally like both Felix Wong and Julian Cheung's versions since one can act and the other is cute Both are faithful to the novel and have strong supporting casts.

The Return of Condor Heroes: Louis Koo and Carmen Lee's version is the best!!!! They have such an amazing chemistry IMO. I also like Idy Chan as Siu Lung Lui but 1995 with Louis and Carmen stays my favorite.
    ♥ Adam

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Chor Lau Heung
    Adam Cheng is the best Chor Lau Heung ever. So, Chor Lau Heung 97 will be the best Chor Lau Heung story adaptation. It's also more faithful to the original story.

State of Divinity/Proud Smilling Wanderer
    As for State Of Divinity, there's no comparison. I nearly fell asleep watching the 80's version starring Chow Yun Fatt, but SOD96 was one of my all time favourite wuxia series.

Duke of Mount Deer
    Pacing wise, I prefer the 90's version. But Tony Leung is a better Wai Siu Bo (in fact the best WSB). The girls in the 80's version are also more beautiful. So, I give the vote to the 80's version.

Demi God Semi Devil
    I have only watch the 97 version, but I felt this series is very well done. Although I prefer the China version of Kiu Fung (only watch the first 2 episodes).

Luk Siu Fung
    As for the Luk Siu Fung series, I was too little when I watched the Alex Man version, so, I don't remember anything about it. But Luk Siu Fung 76 is very good, mainly because of good potrayal of the characters by the actors. The action and dialog is a bit slow though.
    Adam Cheng is a great actor, but I have a real problem with a 50 year old man portraying a 20ish Chor Lau Heung! Alex Man was great as Luk Siu Fung, he's a great actor.

Quote Originally Posted by i_fotted
    Adam Cheng is a great actor, but I have a real problem with a 50 year old man portraying a 20ish Chor Lau Heung! Alex Man was great as Luk Siu Fung, he's a great actor.
    You must be kidding. Adam's version was filmed in 1979 FYI. I'll let you do the math.
    ♥ Adam

Quote Originally Posted by adamcheng22447
    You must be kidding. Adam's version was filmed in 1979 FYI. I'll let you do the math.

sigh...

先入为主

nothing compares to loch83, everything about it was execellent barbara, felix, the theme songs