Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are the top 10 fighters in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"?

Default Who are the top 10 fighters in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"?

Who are the top 10 fighters in "Romance of the Three Kingdoms"?

If i rememer, someguy44 posted a similar thread in the past. Do search for it.

It seems like many of the characters are about equal in ROTK, so it's kinda hard.

My rough list:
    1) Lu Bu
    2) Zhang Fei / Ma Chao / Xu Chu / Zhao Yun / Wen Chou
    (Zhang Fei and Ma Chao fought to a draw, Ma Chao fought Xu Chu to a draw, Zhao Yun fought Xu Chu to a draw and Zhao Yun fought Wen Chou to a draw)
    3) Guan Yu / Huang Zhong
    (Guan Yu mentioned that Zhang Fei was stronger than him, but maybe he was being humble or something...)

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    That was at least a year ago...probably deleted now..

My list roughly estimating their level of martial skill

1. Lu Bu
    2. Guan Yu, Zhang Fei,
    3. Zhao Yun, Xu Zhu, Dian Wei, Ma Chao
    4. Huang Zhong, Taishi Ci,Sun Ce
    5. Xiahou Dun, Ma Teng
    6. Wei Yan,Jiang Wei, Pang De
    7. Deng Ai,Wen Chou, Zhang He,Cao Zhang
    8. Yan Liang, Zhang Liao,Cao Cao, Sun Jian
    9. Yan Yan,Huang Gai, Cheng Pu
    10.Ma Dai ..etc

although personally i feel that better fighter doesn't mean the will make a better leader.

Whoever play ROTK will know that LU BU is shit
    While Cao Cao is the best overall character.

I think the answer differs depending on whether San Guo Yan Yi or San Guo Zhi is used as the basis.

I guess Lu Bu definitely hogs the #1 spot though.

Zhou Tai needs a mention given the way he mows his way thru a crowd of Wei soldiers to save Sun Quan and getting slashed a new body in the process.

Also Zhu Rong as a fighting female who was a respectable fighter in SGYY.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo
    I think that thread has been deleted a long time ago.

Anyway, I haven't read the novel in some time now so I don't remember much. One thing I've always been sure of when it comes to the top 2 fighters in ROTK, it's:

1)Lu Bu
    2)Zhang Fei
    3 and below)a whole bunch of fighters could be put here. Ma Chao, Zhao Yun, Huang Zhong, Pang De, Guan Yu, Dan Wei, Xu Zhu, Yan Liang (GY's defeat of him was a suprise and nothing more), Deng Ai, Jiang Wei, maybe Wen Chou, and anyone else I forgot.

The ones below them could be Wei Yan, Zhang He, Xu Xuang, Ma Dai, Zhang Liao, Gan Ning, Zhou Tai, and many more that I can't remember right now unless I re-read the novel.

It doesn't seem like any of the WU characters can be classify as top notch fighters/warriors base on SGYY.

Oops, I forgot about Sun Ce and Taishi Ci. I don't know if they belong on the top notch fighters along with Ma Chao and company since they've never fought any great generals from Wei or Shu. They are both probably the best fighters Wu had to offer.

3) Guan Yu / Huang Zhong
    (Guan Yu mentioned that Zhang Fei was stronger than him, but maybe he was being humble or something...)
    No, I don't think he was being humble considering that Zhang Fei was the only man to go toe-to-toe with Lu Bu for a hundred stances. Not only that, even Ma Chao knew had the fight with Zhang gone on any longer, there was no chance of victory while Zhang Fei's fighting spirit kept on rising. ZF scared even Xu Zhu, a guy who fears no one, not even Ma Chao!

Han, I also did a thing for top 10 strategists and I can barely remember that. I do remember having Fa Zhang as one of the top 10 though.
    Last edited by zhaozilong44; 01-16-05 at 02:54 PM.

i think Liu Bei and Cao Cao were not too shabby either. both fought the yellow turban rebellions before, and both were great generals. Liu Bei also fought alongside Guan Yu and Zhang Fei against Lu Bu.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenfeet
    i think Liu Bei and Cao Cao were not too shabby either. both fought the yellow turban rebellions before, and both were great generals. Liu Bei also fought alongside Guan Yu and Zhang Fei against Lu Bu.

Not too shabby, but shabby enough. Lui Bei was the reason why Lu Bu could escape the fight. More or less, he was in the way of his two brothers. He always needed Zhao Yun to save his arse.

Cao Cao is a bit worse. I don't recall him fighting anyone of rank ever. If it wasn't for Xu Zhu (and Dan Wei before him), he would've been long dead. Then again, Cao Cao's intelligence also got him out of a lot of pickles. Remember what happened when Lu Bu tapped Cao Cao's shoulder and asked "Hey, have you seen Cao Cao?". Cao Cao replied, "Yes, that way" while pointing his finger in a nothern (I think) direction.

Lu Bu.
    The greatest warrior of the 3 kingdoms era. known as the flying general.

Zhang Fei
    Guan Yu. Overrated as hell
    Ma Chao
    Zhao Yun
    Xu Zhu
    Xiahou Dun
    Dian wei
    Huang zhong
    Wei Yan

Quote Originally Posted by zhaozilong44
    Han, I also did a thing for top 10 strategists and I can barely remember that. I do remember having Fa Zhang as one of the top 10 though.
    How did Sima Yi and Xu Shu rank? Sima Yi dueled Wei Yan for a few bouts and Xu Shu was a "master swordsman".

Quote Originally Posted by zhaozilong44
    Not too shabby, but shabby enough. Lui Bei was the reason why Lu Bu could escape the fight. More or less, he was in the way of his two brothers. He always needed Zhao Yun to save his arse.
    Are you sure Liu Bei was the reason ?

Quote Originally Posted by FoieGras
    Are you sure Liu Bei was the reason ?

He attacked Liu Bei and when Liu Bei dodged, he charged his Red Hare through the gap.

Debatable whether he could have escaped if Liu Bei was not there. He had the Red Hare after all.

Anyway, I think Liu Bei was full of crap. Hypocritical bugger.

Its also arguable that when Zhang Fei and Guan Yu fought Lu Bu, they were still very young and not that experienced. Many battles and years on, they might have improved quite a bit.

Lu Bu.
    The greatest warrior of the 3 kingdoms era. known as the flying general.

Zhang Fei
    Guan Yu. Overrated as hell
    Ma Chao
    Zhao Yun
    Xu Zhu
    Xiahou Dun
    Dian wei
    Huang zhong
    Wei Yan
    nah..i dun think guan yu is overrated.
    True he is worshipped for being the god of war, but i think his skill as fighter and leader not be denied.

FOr fighter :-
    1. he killed hua xiong when the cup of wine is still warm
    2. he killed 6 general in 5 pass ( although i think any top fighter is able to do it also, Ex. Zhao Yun,Zhang fei..etc)
    3. he captured huang zhong ( Dont tell me Huang Zhong is a shabby fighter)
    4. kill both yan liang and wen chou ( Yuan Shao best fighter)

For leadership:-
    1. he drown pang de 7 armies
    2. captured huang zhong
    3. force cao cao to considered relocating Xu Chang
    4. show no sign of fear when Hua Tou is scrapping his bones
    5. Showing up with Zhou Cang in Wu with mabe 20 soldier after Lu Su invitation

But i did not denied that his sometimes arrogance get the better of him, the obvious is Underestimated Lu Xun

I feel he is a warrior on par with Zhang Fei but he show more leadership qualities.
    Zhao Yun is also another warrior which is suppose is better than Guan Yu, at least he did not display any arrogrance and ignorance. His skill is also definetely 1 of the best.

As for Wei Kingdom, I rank Zhang Liao as the best warrior, better than Xu Zhu and Dian Wei. For best fighter, Xu Zhu and Dian Wei stand out.

BTW, on Liu Bei ... he is decently ok. He did not show any intelligence like CAO CAO. But he prove his worth..he is way better than those like Yuan Shu, Liu Biao, etc.

As for Wei Yan, I dont think he is that top. True he is good bout i dont think he belong to the level u mention. Zhang Fei, Guan Yu, Lu Bu or even Zhao Yun can kick his arse anytime. He is only the best when all the best of the best is either dead or old. Even the 70 years old Zhao Yun can best him skillwise, i believe .

Wu best fighter would be Sun Ce and Taishi CI.Some of the other best include Gan Ning, ZHou TAi, Huang Kai, Cheng Pu,Lu Meng.

MY PICK:-
    1. Zhuge Liang ( i dont think anybody will disagree)
    2. Lu Xun, Sima Yi
    3. Zhou Yu, Guo Jia, Xun Yu
    4. Pang Tong,Xun You
    5. Jia Xu,Xu Shu
    6. Jiang Wei
    7. Deng Ai
    8-10. Cheng Yu, Fa Zheng, and the rest which is at least Sima Zhao level.

Cao Cao is probably the leader in ROTK who had the most close brushes with death and surviving them all..

Back to the topic of who's the best but with something resembling intelligence in no particular order:

Zhao Yun, Guan Yu, Xiahou Dun, Zhang Liao, Huang Zhong, Ma Chao
    Xu Guang/Huang, Pang De, Gan Ning, Sun Ce, Taishi Ci, Wei Yan, Huang Gai, Zhang Ge, Zhou Tai, Xiahou Yuan, Cao Hong.

Bit hard to rank them, as some die before another in various ambushes etc.

Now for some dumb as brick fighters

Lu Bu, Xu Chu, Dian Wei, Zhang Fei, Yan Liang, Wen Chou, Hua Xiong.

Quote Originally Posted by fulim1410
    2. Lu Xun, Sima Yi
    4. Pang Tong,Xun You
    5. Jia Xu,Xu Shu
    6. Jiang Wei
    7. Deng Ai

Lu Su, Zhang Song, Zhang Lu, Lu Meng also rate a mention. Lu Su was Zhou Yu's equal, Zhou Yu on external affairs and Lu Su on internal, Zhang Song was enough of a somebody to make Cao Cao burn his personal treatise after Zhang Song laughed at it and Lu Meng as he was destined to be Lu Su's successor.

are these based on the novel or the historical record(sgz)?

for more info

Lu Su, Zhang Song, Zhang Lu, Lu Meng also rate a mention. Lu Su was Zhou Yu's equal, Zhou Yu on external affairs and Lu Su on internal, Zhang Song was enough of a somebody to make Cao Cao burn his personal treatise after Zhang Song laughed at it and Lu Meng as he was destined to be Lu Su's successor
    Sorry, yes Lu Su, Zhang Song, Lu meng is def worth mentioning. I believe that it is

Zhou Yu on external affair, Zhang Zhao on internal.

Btw, sometime i pitied Lu Su, he is just a kind guy. No DOubt he is intelligent, but is always been manipulated by Kong Ming.

My New pick:

2. Lu Xun, Sima Yi
    4. Pang Tong,Xun You,Lu Su
    5. Jia Xu,Xu Shu,Zhang Zhao,
    6. Jiang Wei,Zhang Song
    7. Deng Ai, Lu Meng,Zhong Hui

Btw, plz help...is there anymore?
    Last edited by fulim1410; 01-17-05 at 11:06 AM.