Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: House of Flying Daggers

The real leader of Flying Dagger Sect (the one whose face remained hidden, not the head of the brothel) wasn't touched upon much because her role was supposedly played by Anita Mui. After she died, Zhang Yi Mou knew that no one can replace her, so he scratched the role.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Wow.. a lot of people hate this movie! Well, I enjoyed it. Andy is great as always. First time seeing Takeshi in an ancient movie, very refreshing. Actually, he was well chosen for his role. If Zhang Zi Yi wasn't in it, I might even say it's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Anyway, does any one know who the voices belong to in the mandarin version? Did Takeshi use his own voice? And the other casts?? Much appreciated.

Senior Member shanghai girls are hot's Avatar

nice cinematography

but this movie still sucks, like Hero.

I thought Andy did his hidden emotions and hsi outburst very good. But I have to admit, he does look a bit tired in there. May the lighting? Or is it intentional?
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by lil_bubble
    Wow.. a lot of people hate this movie! Well, I enjoyed it. Andy is great as always. First time seeing Takeshi in an ancient movie, very refreshing. Actually, he was well chosen for his role. If Zhang Zi Yi wasn't in it, I might even say it's one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Anyway, does any one know who the voices belong to in the mandarin version? Did Takeshi use his own voice? And the other casts?? Much appreciated.
    The movie IS originally mandarin, and uses all of their own voices. Don't you know that Takeshi is much fluent when it comes to mandarin compared to cantonese?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    The movie IS originally mandarin, and uses all of their own voices. Don't you know that Takeshi is much fluent when it comes to mandarin compared to cantonese?
    actually, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro were overdubbed by another actor because Andy has a cantonese accent and Takeshi has a taiwanese accent.

Zhang Yimou expects perfect Beijing Mandarin.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau
    actually, Andy Lau and Takeshi Kaneshiro were overdubbed by another actor because Andy has a cantonese accent and Takeshi has a taiwanese accent.

Zhang Yimou expects perfect Beijing Mandarin.
    Right, they've been dubbed over. Not sure if Zhang Yimou expects perfect Mandarin. I guess decent Mandarin is good enough. Apparently, those two are from from "decent", not to mention "perfect".

You sure? I could've SWORN that in the movie, the voices I heard belonged to them, and yes, the accents were imperfect and all.
    Swifty, Writing

I watched it on DVD. That's probably why. Zhang Zi Yi is the only lead who has the original voice in that version.

You sure? I could've SWORN that in the movie, the voices I heard belonged to them, and yes, the accents were imperfect and all.

you sure? you don't listen to Andy Lau's real voice alot, do you? that is clearly not Andy although there were instances where it does really sound like Andy. but fact is, it's not.

btw, the voice actor who dubbed Andy Lau in "House of Flying Daggers" is the same fella who dubbed Tony Leung's voice in "Hero". weird coincidence, isn't it?

and yes, Takeshi Kaneshiro was overdubbed by someone else as well. it was confirmed on the news somewhere. I'll have to look for that article again.

Okay, maybe my volume ain't high enough when i watched it the last time, but his voice did seem pretty Andy Lau-ish. I'll rewatch it later.
    Swifty, Writing

Here be spoilers - just so you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Zhuge
    Was it just me or did it seem to take forever for Xiao Mei to die?
    It's not you. Additionally, I was concerned at why Takeshi and Andy can both sustain massive, fountains o'blood injuries without dying. What's up with that?

Also, what is up with the weather? I mean, they start fighting in the summer/autumn and continue fighting until... winter. Meanwhile, Xiao Mei is v.e.r.y...s.l.o.w.l.y dying and no one apparently cares about the whereabouts of any of these three people. I mean, the mamasan (okay, I know she's not really, but she'll always be one to me!) keeps constant tabs on Xiao Mei when she is alone with Andy, but doesn't care that she is gone for about three months?

Another grip I have is that of all the things the guys could be fighting for at the end, they fight about - a girl. What happened to heroism? Idealism? Passion for a cause that isn't determined by your libido?

As everyone has said before, this is another one of the "pretty to look at, not much there" movies. Pity that cause Zhang Yimou used to make "pretty to look at, a lot there" movies a la "Raise the Red Lantern." Granted, he seemed a little obsessed with the old, rich, impotent man/young, vibrant, defiant woman dichotomy, but at least the characters were interesting. In this movie, the character I was most interested in was Takeshi, and that was because he looked the best in his costume.

Quote Originally Posted by AnalyticChick
    Also, what is up with the weather? I mean, they start fighting in the summer/autumn and continue fighting until... winter. Meanwhile, Xiao Mei is v.e.r.y...s.l.o.w.l.y dying and no one apparently cares about the whereabouts of any of these three people. I mean, the mamasan (okay, I know she's not really, but she'll always be one to me!) keeps constant tabs on Xiao Mei when she is alone with Andy, but doesn't care that she is gone for about three months?
    I think the Flying Dagger Sect expected Xiao Mei to have run away with Takeshi so they didnt really worry about her whereabouts. Why else would they pretend to offer her to him in marriage (i think they were testing to find out if he really loved her) and why else would they send her to go kill him alone.

same here. thats why i listed the funny mixture of accents as one of my negatives.

not 100% sure coz i can't be absolute but 95%.
    xiao mei's voice is definitely zhang's. not as sure with jin cheng wu's voice coz i don't really know his real voice but definitely detected a smooth, genuine taiwanese accent. very sure its liu de hua's own voice with the cantonese accent barely detectable since he does not speak mandarin with a strong one anyway. but its clear he's not so comfortable with it since he speaks in a deliberate, careful manner that sounds unnatural, especially as compared to jin cheng wu.

i am more put off by the fact that the audience (well at least me) was led to believe that xiao mei had already died shortly after she was stabbed in the chest by the flying dagger. then after the two silly idiots fought and fought and fought for so long till it came to the crucial part after the weather took a bizarre turn for our amusement, she simply then decide to suddenly just sit up and intervene.

i mean, at that point, i was like... what the ??!!

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    i am more put off by the fact that the audience (well at least me) was led to believe that xiao mei had already died shortly after she was stabbed in the chest by the flying dagger. then after the two silly idiots fought and fought and fought for so long till it came to the crucial part after the weather took a bizarre turn for our amusement, she simply then decide to suddenly just sit up and intervene.
    Behold the power of Zhang Ziyi!

Having been raised on various wuxia serials, I am now innured to the sight of people flying about or walking on water or destroying the natural landscape in their fights or even having bright lights come out of their respective weapons. But I just think that the non-fighting plot should be more believable - even in a pure wuxia picture such as this. I mean, I understand that these people have amazing, LEET wuxia skillz so they can pull off all those amazing fight sequences. But why does that mean they have to be alternatively idiotic, unrational, or even immortal?

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    same here. thats why i listed the funny mixture of accents as one of my negatives.

not 100% sure coz i can't be absolute but 95%.
    xiao mei's voice is definitely zhang's. not as sure with jin cheng wu's voice coz i don't really know his real voice but definitely detected a smooth, genuine taiwanese accent. very sure its liu de hua's own voice with the cantonese accent barely detectable since he does not speak mandarin with a strong one anyway. but its clear he's not so comfortable with it since he speaks in a deliberate, careful manner that sounds unnatural, especially as compared to jin cheng wu.
    Yeah, I've seen tons of movies with Kaneshiro speaking in Mandarin, and the movie sure as hell sounded like his own voice. Maybe my DVD is... special.
    Swifty, Writing

I finished wtaching about 2 days ago. I think it was a decent movie

Actually, i like it a lil better than Hero. Maybe Hero has a better meaning, but i find HoFD lighter. I don't like how Hero had was so dramatized so I prefer HOFD in this aspect

btw, I think Andy was a miscast, so old for this role When he was kssing Xiao Mei, looked so wrong
    SPCNET07 Duets and Solo's for Summer 2007! Come and listen

www.soundclick.com/spcnet07

my cousin in taiwan told me the movie sucks!
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change,
    then courage to change the things i can,
    and the wisdom to know the difference

Hey, could it be that there's more than one version available on DVD? The one we watched was all dubbed except for those mainland actors whose Mandarin was good enough (I'm 100% sure), and the one you guys (Eliar, C) watched was not dubbed.