Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do you write reviews?

Default Why do you write reviews?

I have been watching TV sereis forever! At least TVB ones. But I have never had this need to talk about it or this need to be heard. Until I started on my kdrama craze.

I wanted to be selective about what I want to spend my time on, so I started my hunt for OTHER people's reviews for their recommendations. The more I read, the more I felt I want to have my say about all the kdramas that I've seen, like a reciprocating act for all that I've received from the internet.

I started to write reviews on kdrama because after al the emotional roller coaster ride, writing reviews provides an outlet to share and express my views! No one around me catch kdrama as diligently as I do, and I kind of felt isolated in my passion for kdrama. I have even met Koreans (who live in HK) who were shocked at what I've seen so far.

So that's my story how all this madness started, what's yours?

Default why i write reviews?

i write TVB reviews because i have been watching them ever since i knew how to watch TV [lol], and they have always been my main source of entertainment [although i am vietnamese and live in australia]. i only take the time to write my reviews if i either really like the series or i really detest it. What really motivates me is if i read other people's reviews that gives the series a good rating, and i feel like 'what?! hell this series sucks!" so i just HAVE to put my own views up, to give readers a different perspective, and also hopefully to find people who agree with me. So my reviews are all either bagging out a series or really supporting it, with some rare exceptions when i review mediocre series.

I am completely opposite to you. I stopped writing reviews because I have been disappointed. I only write reviews when I have time which I rarely do recently.

When I have fun writing reviews for short while, I had urge to share the rare tv series. At that time nobody was writing Mainland TV series reviews.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

I don't write review on this site because of the stuff I heard from reviewer that others steal their credit and make money from it.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    I don't write review on this site because of the stuff I heard from reviewer that others steal their credit and make money from it.
    LOL... I think SPC does give out credits to the reviewrs who wrote them. Once you submit it, you have no copyright to your own reviews.

Reviews and other content submitted
    Any material submitted, including reviews, articles, digital media, comments, and opinions, belong to SPCNET to use as content. You grant us perpetual royalty-free and liability-free rights to use, distribute, translate, edit, delete, create derivative works from, or display submissions worldwide without notice in any medium for any purposes, including commercial purposes, and to grant authorization to others to do so.

Well, it is all about making money, and there is nothing wrong with. Just need to be upfront and not to be a saint. I don't work for free for commercial site/people/company. I am no saint either.
    Last edited by Yon; 01-20-05 at 03:27 PM.

Thanks il_mare for starting this topic so I can clarify these issues.

1. Reviewers do have copyright to their own reviews but ONLY to their original, unedited works, meaning a review that was not edited by us. Since reviews are edited by editors here, the edited copy belongs to spcnet.tv.

2. When the site first started as my hobby site, it was all ran and paid by me. When it got big enough with too much bandwidth, that changed. This site has been a commercial site since 2000, when the site migrated to its own dedicated server to pay for hosting fees. I never tried to hide the fact that the Yesasia links throughout the site earn commission and have made several announcements about it in the past so that reviewers would not be confused about the nature of the ads. Those of you who've been with SPCNET since it started will know that in our About Us page, I've added a notice called 'Why advertising?' in 2000--that this was never a hidden fact.

In the past, the site made barely enough to cover hosting fees. Nowadays, it does make some profits and hopefully enough one day that we can start a more long term bonus system for reviewers--the Marathon Months being one of the ways I try to reward reviewers.

To Yon: I don't know how much more upfront you want me to be about it, but I have made this announcement quite a few times and I am never ashamed to admit to it. I am not a saint either and never pretended to be one--if you ever felt that way, I can only say that I am sorry you received that impression and that I have tried to make the site as transparent as possible ever since. I honestly wish though that if you have such strong feelings against me or the site, to voice them to me directly--and maybe we can even find some peace between us--instead of trying to put down the hard efforts and time that I've put to this site each time.

I feel that the more I try to explain or defend myself, the more folks will just think it's covering up. So hopefully, this is the last time. Please feel free to ask me questions.. I am more than happy to answer them.
    -SC

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    Are you referring to other sites stealing our content? Or just to the fact that there are ads on the site?
    -SC

SPC,

I am so amazed how quickly you respond to this matter than any other issues going on in the forum.

One thing I want to make clear is, please do not pm me for what I wrote in my private journal. My blog (that particular one is only known to 3 to 4 maybe 5 people, I have a great guess who has given you the attention, I have done some investigation.) is pretty much private and I have never invited you to read mine. If you haven't done so, my disappointment with your site making money could have been less.

Just my 2 cents. It really is not nice to make money off from somebody like Il Mare or other reviewers' great efforts to help your Private Site. You sure can give out bonus when you actually make money or whatever. I personally think you probably don't care much about people who chip in your forum.

One good quote from my accounting professor said, "You have no idea what good old uncle Bob would do when he wants to take money" *shrug* I really lost faith in you SPC. So, therefore, some of reviewers like myself don't write for your site any more. I am sure there are others who really don't care about "Time and Money" factors, so you can live without me and others who think so. So, let's leave it that.

I had so much respect for you when your site was your hobby. Nothing wrong with making money, but it gets tricky if you started off as Good faith site turned into "Let's make profit site" based on somebody else' efforts.

Christ, are we still on that issue? Can you just for goodness sake STOP IT?
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    Christ, are we still on that issue? Can you just for goodness sake STOP IT?
    Junny,
    I am not sure what will be the matter for you here. Were you involved in that too?

All I know is that this issue should have been put to rest long ago, or if not, should be ended with SC's reply.

Just stop it, okay?

It's getting damn tiring.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by junny
    All I know is that this issue should have been put to rest long ago, or if not, should be ended with SC's reply.

Just stop it, okay?

It's getting damn tiring.
    Really? How did you know SC's reply? She and I had discussion time to time. I didn't know somebody was tracking of it. Also, pretty much there is nobody post in this thread. I don't want to make you tired, so please don't read. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    Really? How did you know SC's reply? She and I had discussion time to time. I didn't know somebody was tracking of it. Also, pretty much there is nobody post in this thread. I don't want to make you tired, so please don't read. Thank you.
    SC's reply is in this thread, a few posts above yours.

Take your personal vendetta elsewhere.
    玉木宏

blog

Sorry Junny to mention this, but I wasn't looking for any sort of response back from SPC. As you can see, my response were merely making clear of James's idea. If i was looking for a personal rant I would have pmed, or posted in technical section with big question mark. SPC seems like to post a reply back thinking I was looking for an answer or some sorts, so I replied her back with my thoughts.

Please, if you don't mind, let SPC handle this without you personally getting so worked up about things that doesn't conern you. My understanding is You and SPC are 2 different individual, and SPC has no need a sidekick to respond back with rude manner, i hope.

Also, since you put your nose into matter, please

Take your personal vendetta elsewhere.
    Saying something like this is not so nice. I have noticed you have posted something like this alot. And I have found members get upset or hurt by your comments. Again, if this thread doesn't concern you so much, please stop posting here. Just like I don't post in Alec Su thread.

Regards.

Compared to you, SC's handling it just fine.

But whatever.
    玉木宏

blog

The topic of this thread was "Why do you write review?" And I feel that some folks have the right to also voice out opinions why they don't.

I just made a general comment. If SPCnet think I was referring to this site she can PM about it (but I am not talking about this site, i was talking about Gamespot btw if she want to know more about it please PM for other questions) and if she thinks Yonny thinks this way, it is between SPCnet and her not anyone else. Yon does not have explain to anyone but SC about it because what was said is between SPCnet and her.
    Flame on I am gone...

Sigh. No matter what I do or write, it always seems to be read wrong... i.e. my replying to this quickly is taken again the wrong way.

Well, if you want me to PM, then I will, no use making this uglier than it is. I want to settle this once and for all.
    -SC

Getting back to topic, I write reviews because I like writing for some particular reason. Also when I'm not at school or doing any work, I usually have nothing to do so I just write.

I once saw someone posting 5 word reviews.

They used 5 words to discribe a movie, I thought it was interesting.
    Flame on I am gone...

Default to spcnet

wow, this is the first i've heard about this site actually making money from our reviews. how exactly does that occur? do other sites pay to feature particular reviews?

and how you say that once a review has been edited, spcnet now has the copyright, so technically our reviews can appear on any website or god knows where, without the reviewer even knowing about it?

when i submit reviews, i only intend them to stay on spcnet's site, and never thought they would be mishandled without my permission.

please reply because i want to clarify this issue and decide if i want to submit reviews in the future.