Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: End for Asians in Hollywood?

Quote Originally Posted by Arya Svit-kona
    Fan Bing Bing is coming to Hollywood now...she beats all these people's butts!!! *whimper* don't kill me, I'm just really defensive and a big fan of hers...
    I'm not aware of that... But what movie?
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

i dont noe wat their names are but there are 2 koreans in lost which are gaining lots of popularity. i doubt if it's going to be the end for asians. but wat pisses me off is that hollywood would buy rights to asian movies and remake them. for example, infernal affairs freakin leonardo dicapio is taking tony leung place. they's going to remake my sassy girl and many other movies. i just hope they dont screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight-sonata
    At least Chang Ziyi's busted into Hollywood and some people in America and stuff know who she is... I live in Australia, and trust me, they know Zhang Ziyi but they don't know Fan Bing Bing.
    I don't even know who's Fan Bing Bing.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

i agree... to really be speaking, some of the middle east is also considered asia
    i think its middle east... u kno
    that place like arabia and stuff, and india and indonesia
    we normally refer to them as indian people but they are technically asian
    Indonesia in the middle east?!?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I swear to you that person who claims to be Australian is actually an American. We know world geography down here.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Ang Lee just won the Oscar for Best Director. So much for Asians being washed up in Hollywood...

i agree... to really be speaking, some of the middle east is also considered asia
    i think its middle east... u kno
    that place like arabia and stuff, and india and indonesia
    we normally refer to them as indian people but they are technically asian
    Indonesia (the Sumatra Island) is right next to Malaysia (across the Strait of Malacca) and is part of Southeast Asia.

Here's a map of Southeast Asia.

http://www.reliefweb.int/mapc/asi_se/reg/seasia.html
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Ang Lee just won the Oscar for Best Director. So much for Asians being washed up in Hollywood...
    Yep. Watch out for the new wave of token Asians in upcoming Hollywood movies.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Sorry, Indonesia isn't in the Middle East. Dunno why I wrote that.
    History repeats itself. Historians simply repeat each other.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Indonesia (the Sumatra Island) is right next to Malaysia (across the Strait of Malacca) and is part of Southeast Asia.

Here's a map of Southeast Asia.

http://www.reliefweb.int/mapc/asi_se/reg/seasia.html
    Kidd,

Are u Indo?
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Post Interesting Thread

I found this is actually an interesting topic. Someone can write a whole university thesis on why Asian movie industries and actors/actresses can't do smashingly well in American movie industry.

For one, I believe stereotypical and generalization of Asian actors/actresses need to be broken through. Asian actors/actresses that got famous in U.S. soil are someone who have been famous in Asia or know martial arts. It's not entirely through....but often we see the actors/tresses accept whatever roles that are available for them. For them, the roles are for action movies.
    There are movies like "Better Luck Tommorow" and "Eat Drink Man Woman" who had quality of becoming streamline independent movies. Still, the movies are targetted toward Asian community.
    I am going back and forth in this point, but even in theaters...there are not many whites watching black movies (or movies directed by black directors).
    In "BLT", even with the MTV's endorsement, I still believe the director tried to reach out to Asian population, and not general population viewers.

Secondly, Ang Lee as a director, has shown the world that he could direct. Brokeback Mountain is a movie with no Asian people in it and they were nominated in Oscar and became favourite. This shows that Ang has quality to direct. Let's hope that there will be more quality movies produced by more Asian directors. John Woo is another candidate. He directed a lot of action movie, MI-2 to name for one, that became a blockbuster. He's Asian and is well respected in the movie business. Many americans even claim that when John produced it, it must be good.

It would require some time for the Asian directors, actors, and actresses to break through that 'bamboo ceiling' in the moview industry. Not an impossible task, but one that takes quality planning.
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by SilatFreak
    Kidd,

Are u Indo?
    No, I'm not. But my country is part of SEA.
    什麼是朋友?朋友永遠是在你犯下不可原諒錯誤的時候,仍舊站在你那邊的笨蛋。~ 王亞瑟

和諧唔係一百個人講同一番話,係一百個人有一百句唔同嘅說話,而又互相尊重 ~ - 葉梓恩