Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breaking up mediacorp tv radio monopoly

Default breaking up mediacorp tv radio monopoly

refer to this thread http://forum.mediacorp.com.sg/board/...threadid=17629

to all mediaworks comrades, thank you for all the supports u have given channel u to become the 2nd most watched channel.
    but now our channel have been reduced to a 2nd rated channel showing old and repeated dramas. i appealed to all mediaworks comrades to not resign to fate and allow channel u to deteriorate further. stand united and start to take bold and concrete actions to restore channel u's glory and uphold old mediaworks' fighting spirit.
    start writing letters to the press to express your unhappiness over current tv monopoly and suggest breaking up mediacorp's radio and tv monopoly.
    refer below to get contact number for major newspapers and magazines in singapore.

Mediaworks Comrades,
    Say NO to mediocre TV
    support Mediaworks by writing to the press:

Channel U,
    Email: [email protected]

8 Days,

i Weekly,
    Tel: 6483-7826

Zaobao,
    Tel: 1800-741-9988

Straits Times Forum,

Today,

Media Development Authority
    Tel: 6837-9973

Live and Let Live lah ........ It's over !! .... nothing will ever bring it back ... Do you think it really help? You are wasting your time i feel but if you passion is so strong ... good luck ..

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_8
    Live and Let Live lah ........ It's over !! .... nothing will ever bring it back ... Do you think it really help? You are wasting your time i feel but if you passion is so strong ... good luck ..
    give up even before trying... never.
    it isn't over.. ch u is still alive but abused badly by mediacoop.
    i am realistic tht mediaworks provably never come back, but breaking up mediacoop into 2 separate companies with different market target is an idea worth pursuing.

Its depressing but I don't think any amount of letters will help.
    It is over, nothing will ever bring the old channel U back, they will never break up the channels into 2 companies again.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    Its depressing but I don't think any amount of letters will help.
    It is over, nothing will ever bring the old channel U back, they will never break up the channels into 2 companies again.
    it is more depressing tt ch u supporters are lamenting the downfall of your favourite channel but doing little to reverse the situation except crying in online forum.
    how about writing formal letter to mp and mda to talk about unhappiness over singapore tv monopoly.
    my idea is to have the 2 stations clearly targetting different viewers so tt they do not compete directly unlike previously. but the little competition serve to get them to put viewers' interest before their own monetary gain.

You are so naive ... Ch U or SPH can't even save themselves .... think you can do it? .... Only person i feel sorry for is Mr Man .... He tried so hard to make it work ... i've high regards for him ..

And Terror Gal .... your nick makes me nervous .. reminds me of those terrorist ...

Move on lah ... this is year 2005 liao ....
    Last edited by Angel_8; 01-24-05 at 01:48 PM.

You are so naive ... Ch U or SPH can't even save themselves .... think you can do it? .... Only person i feel sorry for is Mr Man .... He tried so hard to make it work ... i've high regards for him ..

And Terror Gal .. .. your nick makes me nervous .. reminds me of those terrorist ...

Move on lah ... this is year 2005 liao ....
    navie? taking step to free u all from tv monopoly is not easy task, thus i recognise the need to gather more support. i one person can't achuieve anything, together we can crush medicoop fortified walls.
    u recognize we now in 2005.. seeing my malaysian and indo friends having more freedom of media and press make me very ashamed of singapore who claimed we are more developed country than them
    i wish u all could start airing your dissatisfaction in more public forums where the relevant auothrity can hear your cry instead of doing it here. PM Lee encourages sngaporeans on take on a more active role in nation building.. is not media development a impt part of tt?

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_terror
    navie? taking step to free u all from tv monopoly is not easy task, thus i recognise the need to gather more support. i one person can't achuieve anything, together we can crush medicoop fortified walls.
    u recognize we now in 2005.. seeing my malaysian and indo friends having more freedom of media and press make me very ashamed of singapore who claimed we are more developed country than them
    i wish u all could start airing your dissatisfaction in more public forums where the relevant auothrity can hear your cry instead of doing it here. PM Lee encourages sngaporeans on take on a more active role in nation building.. is not media development a impt part of tt?
    Free us all? Getting presumptuous now, aren't you?

Let's face up that Mediacorp will never let Channel U become strong. They will not allow it to threaten their own channels. Getting strong support doesn't necessary means success. Final decision still lies in Mediacorp's hands.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    Free us all? Getting presumptuous now, aren't you?

Let's face up that Mediacorp will never let Channel U become strong. They will not allow it to threaten their own channels. Getting strong support doesn't necessary means success. Final decision still lies in Mediacorp's hands.
    they cannot ignore many negative feedbacks and anti-medicoop sentiment spread like wildfire forcing them to take a more serious attitude towards ch u... that can;t happened without people being more proactive in writing to the press to express unsatisaction over mediacoop treatment of ch u.
    with only 2 mths to revamp, we heard little concrete plans medicoop have in store for channel u except tt food for life, guessx3 and fun club will be shown,.. still no news of their slotted time.
    many questions, rumours in ch u fans' mind.. are they turning ch u into chinese cna.. will there be local productions in ch u.. why and many more

they cannot ignore many negative feedbacks and anti-medicoop sentiment spread like wildfire forcing them to take a more serious attitude towards ch u... that can;t happened without people being more proactive in writing to the press to express unsatisaction over mediacoop treatment of ch u.
    with only 2 mths to revamp, we heard little concrete plans medicoop have in store for channel u except tt food for life, guessx3 and fun club will be shown,.. still no news of their slotted time.
    many questions, rumours in ch u fans' mind.. are they turning ch u into chinese cna.. will there be local productions in ch u.. why and many more
    By 'many', are you even reaching 10% of the population in Singapore?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang
    By 'many', are you even reaching 10% of the population in Singapore?
    emails to various press in singapore are reachable worldwide.. i appeal to any foreignors who have once watched any ch u production or seen any ch u artistes to understand our plight and also write to our press in support for better treatment of ch u. is not the perentage of people unhappy tt is impt but the voices of fews impt people speaking up for us tt is impt.. like mp, newspaper reporters.. but they need to know the sentiment is widespread before they will touch this issue.

the greatest ability of human beings, or rather singaporeans, is that we will get used to it. so soon channel u will disappear from everyone's mind. [dun misunderstand me though, i am a great supporter of u]

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    the greatest ability of human beings, or rather singaporeans, is that we will get used to it. so soon channel u will disappear from everyone's mind. [dun misunderstand me though, i am a great supporter of u]
    true.. sad thing about singaporeans is they are all talk no action... viewed me with great disbelief.. as if i am telling them to riot outside mediacoop gate.. i have no intention of doing that... just trying to encourage everyone to write to the press to express your views on media merger and our loss... it does not matter if your letters are not published.. trust me they don't land up in the rubbish bin. if they discover a common complaint in these letter, someone will take notice and speak up for us... better than sit here and whine tt old ch u is gone forever.
    Last edited by mcs_terror; 01-25-05 at 02:47 AM.

frankly, for economic reason, the merger is good. or else one day, if the fight goes on, both will "die" - there will not be any mediacorp tv or mediawork. isn't this a worse situation?
    imagine two guys, one yr enemy and one yr friend. ranking in best situation:
    (1) enemy die, friend exist
    (2) enemy exist, friend exist
    (3) enemy die, friend die
    (4) enemy exist, friend die

if both continue to fight, you will get (3) and (4). since (1) is not possible, the next best is (2). at least, u have yr friend, though yr friend is weaker which means you should support yr friend more, and not killing your enemy as it is impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    frankly, for economic reason, the merger is good. or else one day, if the fight goes on, both will "die" - there will not be any mediacorp tv or mediawork. isn't this a worse situation?
    Mediaworks was not given enough time to work before they decided to axe it. it has been only 4 years since MW started, for goodness sake come on, that is too freaking short for it to truly gain a real foothold.
    The 2 stations made the mistake of engaging in price war to win more advertisers. In terms of economics, oligopolies usually work together to set price floors so that both parties will set to maximise profits. So in other words, MC is dumb, so is MW, by cutting prices.

To mcs_terror, hey cool it, we all understand how you feel cause we feel the same way about the merger too. But majority of the posters agree that it is absolutely pointless to write letters to the respective authorities. They did so much PR and made such a big hooha about merging, there's no way in hell they are going to split the companies up again just because some folks wrote in to complain. And I think plenty of people had written in since the announcement was first made anyway, and see how much that helped.

And in mean while, we shall do what sad singaporeans do, sit around and whine in forums.

actually, if u had read my replies carefully, u will realise that i have taken the necessary steps backwards.. I am no longer pushing for the "extreme" ideas for breaking the company up. I am still fed up with lack of information concerning the revamp of ch u in april which i think they should consult the viewers... should we not push them a little for more information? I don't like the "surprises" they have in store for us in April.

The "surprises" are called "surprises" for a reason, means you ain't suppose to know before they announce it, so we will all be SURPRISED!!!
    I don't think they need to consult the audience, if after so many freaking years in the business they still do not know what the audiences want... it is seriously disturbing. If they are not giving the audience what they want, it probably means they are cooking up some plan to shut Channel U down for good (like bad ratings hence....)

Angel is quite right...dude...face da truth and the injustice of the s'pore government. the gov just wants 2 hold all the media outlets via temesek holdings...man..life is like dat 1...just live up 2 it...2 point cryin over it man....get a life (no offence) i feel sad 2...

as long as there is constant cry from the public over fate of channel u, Mediacoop would not dare to do any funny to channel u like close it down quietly.
    If it is hard to pen a letter to the press revealing your identity , then at least make some noise in Mediacoop's official channel u forum as an anonymous to let them know that channel u still has many supporters.
    anti-channel u people are seriously not welcomed in that forum..
    Last edited by mcs_terror; 01-27-05 at 10:33 AM.

as long as there is constant cry from the public over fate of channel u, Mediacoop would not dare to do any funny to channel u like close it down quietly.
    If it is hard to pen a letter to the press revealing your identity , then at least make some noise in Mediacoop's official channel u forum as an anonymous to let them know that channel u still has many supporters.
    anti-channel u people are seriously not welcomed in that forum..

wow!! U real fighter.

I go to Mediacorps Channel U forum .. seems U've got up- hill tasks there .. can count my fingers the nos of supporters U have there ... but at least U tryin !Salute you la ..