Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: breaking up mediacorp tv radio monopoly

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_8
    wow!! U real fighter.

I go to Mediacorps Channel U forum .. seems U've got up- hill tasks there .. can count my fingers the nos of supporters U have there ... but at least U tryin !Salute you la ..
    thx for your support...
    I in serious need for more encouragement to keep my fighting spirit high.

hello doesn't this sound like raving madness? is this guy from some halloween freak show or what? if u still have some form of sense left..please go see a psychiatrist for medication

with the government's tight control over media sector, I cannot help but say that the old channel u with the old news team & variety people will never come back!
    who doesn't know this media liberalisation experiment is but a big show to all foreign players to tell them that they should never enter our local market
    take for example if cnn want to set up a regional channel here to compete with cna, will our government allow this since they can easily cite mediaworks demise as a reason why they wouldn't issue such a licence.

Quote Originally Posted by QQQQQ
    hello doesn't this sound like raving madness? is this guy from some halloween freak show or what? if u still have some form of sense left..please go see a psychiatrist for medication

with the government's tight control over media sector, I cannot help but say that the old channel u with the old news team & variety people will never come back!
    who doesn't know this media liberalisation experiment is but a big show to all foreign players to tell them that they should never enter our local market
    take for example if cnn want to set up a regional channel here to compete with cna, will our government allow this since they can easily cite mediaworks demise as a reason why they wouldn't issue such a licence.
    Do you have to stoop so low and make personal attack on me?

Let me just say some words to cheer up some channel u supporter's down spirit.
    Channal U is still around and there is still hope of better treatment in April.
    Even if Mediacoop daringly close down Channel U. Let not forget the ex-MediaWorks artistes and employees that are suffering in agony due to this injustice. Some had found employment but many are still struggling to make ends meet. They need our moral support.. We shouldn't be despondent considering how little we suffered compared to them. I will fight till Mediacoop remove every trace of Mediaworks from its premises which includes the artistes that we all loved, right down to the Mediaworks equipments such as video cameras and the insignificant pen used by Mr Man.. If Mediacoop can achieve such feat, we still have Helen , Linda and co in UFM.
    All is not so depressing if one is to look positive. I appeal to u all to not give up hope.

sorry if I've offended you but you sound disturbingly like Osama bin laden
    if u're still a kid, go get some life man!

Erm, mcs does sound and act a little extreme but it doesn't mean that you can throw insults to his face like that. Afterall, it's his right to decide what to do.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Well,

It's people like you that always accept fate and accept what the govt arranged for you. No wonder the govt always carry on spoon feeding everyone and make decisions for everyone.

I agree that so long as channel u is around, we should always show our support and let Mediacorp knows that being a monopoly does not mean it had win coz it does not have some of our support. If everyone keeps quiet, there will not be any effort to improve at all.

And by giving personal attacks, its already evident who is the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by mcs_terror
    Do you have to stoop so low and make personal attack on me?

Let me just say some words to cheer up some channel u supporter's down spirit.
    Channal U is still around and there is still hope of better treatment in April.
    Even if Mediacoop daringly close down Channel U. Let not forget the ex-MediaWorks artistes and employees that are suffering in agony due to this injustice. Some had found employment but many are still struggling to make ends meet. They need our moral support.. We shouldn't be despondent considering how little we suffered compared to them. I will fight till Mediacoop remove every trace of Mediaworks from its premises which includes the artistes that we all loved, right down to the Mediaworks equipments such as video cameras and the insignificant pen used by Mr Man.. If Mediacoop can achieve such feat, we still have Helen , Linda and co in UFM.
    All is not so depressing if one is to look positive. I appeal to u all to not give up hope.
    There is no injustice. Mediacorp does not own them a living. Mediacorp (and Mediaworks for that matter) is not a charity. It is a business. The TV stations have to merge, some people have to go. They are just unlucky that they are not to be offered the transfer after deliberating. Yes, I feel sympathy for them, but to call them victims of injustice? People get retrenched all over the world at all times. Companies get bought up every days. It's all business.

For your info, Mediacorp did offer Helen Cheung the transfer but she rejected it. So, it's Mediacorp's fault for Helen's rejection. Right.
    Last edited by hola!; 01-30-05 at 12:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by icer_goh
    Well,

It's people like you that always accept fate and accept what the govt arranged for you. No wonder the govt always carry on spoon feeding everyone and make decisions for everyone.
    So, I take it that you have spoken up for the more important social and politcal issues?
    Last edited by hola!; 01-29-05 at 11:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hola!
    So, I take it that you have spoken up for the more important social and politcal issues?
    considering our country's tight control of the media and the press, I don't think that this is a small or unimportant political issue.. more like the step toward lessening control and more freedom of Singapore media is hindered. The growth of our media is comparatively constrained in stark contrast to the media industries in neighbouring countries.

It is sad of our youngsters' general apathy of politic.. their excuse being that it doesn't affect them. The sad truth is that many decisions have ripple effect on their life.. Example: The signing of the USA-SG FTA mandate a tightening of Singapore copyright law which somehow made illegal download of copyrighted materials. US may push for broading of our software patents which inhibit growth of our Linux open-source movement. But who care? How about speaking against the US war against terrorism and the war on Iraq which may push polarization of the different ethnic groups in Singapore.

This case is fortunately less complex and closer to our heart. In this case, the idol that we love are affected and our favourite pastime having less and poorer choice. But yet they still refuse to speak up.

Let us not fight among ourselves when a more important battle is ongoing.. our fight aganist Mediacoop from being complacent and ignoring viewers' wishes.

Last edited by mcs_terror; 01-30-05 at 02:16 AM.

Thumbs up

Actually, we coined Mediacorp here Mediacrap or Mediacork. And yes, I've sent an email to diss the producers.

bruthers or sisters...i hope dat u r not clouding ur judgement of singapore tv.....trust me...dont cry over dis b'cos ur entertainment and tv is a lot better than what ppl all over da world have!....btw...yes we r probably sadden by dis merger but ....i must say dat mediacorp isn't doing all dat badly and dat u guys should refrain from using insulting language.

our fight must show da point of having more than 1 media 4 da ppl...2 provide a wider range of ideas n views...no offence ...but i dink dat da government is a bit bias and ---dictator like in having a monpoly of the state's media outlets..

Hmm... discussion getting serious here. Apathetic youths? Media regulation? Politics? Wars?

Hurhur, ain't we just discussing about bringing our favourite televesion station back??

Don't bring in issues like politics and media regulation and what nots and accuse the us of being apathetic just because some of the posters here think writing in to Mediacrap (mediacorpse, mediacock, whatever you guys wanna call it) is a waste of time.
    The merger is done and nothing will ever reverse it nor will there be a second television station operating anytime soon (not as long as the Lee Dynasty prevails). Instead of demanding that --

I will fight till Mediacoop remove every trace of Mediaworks from its premises which includes the artistes that we all loved, right down to the Mediaworks equipments such as video cameras and the insignificant pen used by Mr Man..
    why don't you expand you energy in important issues like

speaking against the US war against terrorism and the war on Iraq which may push polarization of the different ethnic groups in Singapore.
    and be a notch higher than us apathetic youths?

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts
    Hmm... discussion getting serious here. Apathetic youths? Media regulation? Politics? Wars?

Hurhur, ain't we just discussing about bringing our favourite televesion station back??

Don't bring in issues like politics and media regulation and what nots and accuse the us of being apathetic just because some of the posters here think writing in to Mediacrap (mediacorpse, mediacock, whatever you guys wanna call it) is a waste of time.
    The merger is done and nothing will ever reverse it nor will there be a second television station operating anytime soon (not as long as the Lee Dynasty prevails). Instead of demanding that --

why don't you expand you energy in important issues like

and be a notch higher than us apathetic youths?
    Life is short, that's why. Yes, mergers are in nowadays, and people who lose out during mergers will definitely have a lot to complain. Oops, nobody here understands what I'm talking about

it deeply saddened me that this thread seem to attract the attention of those whose views are strongly opposed to mine. I had listened to many of your viewpoints and taken the necessary steps to realign my intial standpoint into something more generally acceptable. But it seem like this thread is leading to an internal struggle among Mediaworks/Channel U comrades.. how to win this war if we are not even united.

My hope is that we position ourselves as the media watchdog against Mediacoop sliping into complacency and total oblivion of its viewers' interest. It is in my belief that if we take concrete action to voice our disatisafaction either in the press or Mediacoop's forum, we can see some positive development.

Some positve development that I have seen so far:
    1) We complained the lack of special programming during the last holiday. There is at least some special, though old, program shown during cny on Channel U.
    2) Some member had complimented the animation done for Channel U's cny greetings. They are at least trying to spice up the boring repeated commerical break.
    3) Though not my effort, public outcry over the missing favourite Taiwan variety such as Fun Club and Guess x3. They had promised us that they will be shown in the 2nd qtr. But we do not have any information of their timeslot.
    4) Again not my effort, public outcry over the sacking of several deserving artistes such as Chen Hui Hui. They are offered some temporany contract.
    But the most important of them is the programming of Channel U which is in need of serious revival.

We have to continue our effort to actively remind Mediacoop that we are watching them closely. If not, the day when they queitly close down Channel U, push all ex-MediaWorks artistes into cold palace and firing those who contracts have ended are not far away.

Quote Originally Posted by Loser
    bruthers or sisters...i hope dat u r not clouding ur judgement of singapore tv.....trust me...dont cry over dis b'cos ur entertainment and tv is a lot better than what ppl all over da world have!....btw...yes we r probably sadden by dis merger but ....i must say dat mediacorp isn't doing all dat badly and dat u guys should refrain from using insulting language.
    Well said Loser ........ besides we should be so blessed that majority of us got a decent roof over our heads and our s'pore is so peaceful ...... seems like some of you have forgotten about SARS or Tsunami .......... you die w/out even a chance to say goodbye ......

LIFE IS SHORT bruthers and sistaz .... LIVE n LET LIVE .... i m sure there are more worthwhile and important issues in our life to do than fighting for something thats done and over ...

I hope Little Miss Terror tone down as it does not reflect well on us S'poreans in this forum....
    Last edited by Angel_8; 01-31-05 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hola!
    There is no injustice. Mediacorp does not own them a living. Mediacorp (and Mediaworks for that matter) is not a charity. It is a business. The TV stations have to merge, some people have to go. They are just unlucky that they are not to be offered the transfer after deliberating. Yes, I feel sympathy for them, but to call them victims of injustice? People get retrenched all over the world at all times. Companies get bought up every days. It's all business.

For your info, Mediacorp did offer Helen Cheung the transfer but she rejected it. So, it's Mediacorp's fault for Helen's rejection. Right.

Too bad when they chose to leave mediacorps ... Bad choice or plain unlucky ???

Whatever ... bad career move happens to ppl all the time ...... all depends on them now to work double hard for it ..

those who don't support mediacorp can subscrible to scv
    very cheap also from $10-20 per month depending on what u subscrible

TV media here to show you backdated movies , old shows.
    In fact, even our neighbour Indonesia already screened 天龍八部 (TVB) in 2004. What have we got ? Local dramas? Can they be exported like Ch U's variety to TVB 8 (4 of them are showing right now - 世界無界限, 十不相瞞, 全星總動員and one more i can't remember).

Please don't forget we pay license fees which is one of the most expensive in the world. Everyone should realyl think why are we paying such a high license fees and do we deserve this kind of programming on our local channels ?

If you remember CH U did not get any funding but mediacorp got most of it. Why is it so ? Unfair treatment? SPH mediaworks can definitely propduced better quality programmes , higher quality programmes which is popular not only local but overseas. Not forgetting the coproductions with HK and TW.

Coming back to the point about being apathaetic. I believe that most Singaporeans are trained to keep quiet. This will backfire one day because there is no longer any creativity. I hope we are not the batteries in the movie 'Matrix". Are you the battery ?

those who don't support mediacorp can subscrible to scv
    very cheap also from $10-20 per month depending on what u subscrible
    well done...even though we r all sadden by dis merger...if any 1 stll wants 2 hav a cry they CAN suscribe 2 SCV!!@

Just to share some good news so as to balance my overly negative comments.
    Our favourite Taiwan Variety, Guess x3, will be back on Channel U on Sat 26 Feb 2005 at 9:30pm. But unfortunately it will replace the currently showing Tian Cai Go x3.
    Guess the letters requesting for Guess x3 must have flooded their mailboxes that they have no choice but to bring back Guess x3 earlier.
    They are still delaying the broadcast of Zhou Re Ba Dian Dang to after April.
    However, we shouldn't be too contented bcos' there are other outstanding matters.. Are they showing Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan and Wan Quan Yu Le on Channel U?
    Last edited by mcs_terror; 02-03-05 at 09:27 AM.