Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Questions

Default Newbie Questions

I am a newbie. >.>;;
    And I got tons of questions.. Just to give some heads up.. I only seen TVB adaptions of JY series..Nothing more.. Oh yeah. I'm bad with abbreviations.

1. How..strong can wuxia heroes be? In this new series called Twin of Brothers.. the dudes can blast like 1/10 of a cliff with one swing of his almighty sword.. and they can even do like energy blasts --;

2. The 18 Dragon's Palm.. Exactly.. How does it look like..and work?

-In the LOCH 1983, it looks like a powerful palm attack..
    -In the 199something DGSD.. it looked like Kiu Fung's attack has a golden dragon coming out of him o_O

..And in the beginning of that DGSD..Kiu Fung took out a beer during attempt to kill the emporer? and did a POWERFUL 18 dragon's palm attack that blasted a whole cliff apart with little golden dragons

3. Why does TVB edit out the VCDs... I miss some parts that I loved..

4. Is there soundtracks I can buy of these series...

5. Am I annoying or breaking any forum rules?

Quote Originally Posted by scypEr
    I am a newbie. >.>;;
    And I got tons of questions.. Just to give some heads up.. I only seen TVB adaptions of JY series..Nothing more.. Oh yeah. I'm bad with abbreviations.

1. How..strong can wuxia heroes be? In this new series called Twin of Brothers.. the dudes can blast like 1/10 of a cliff with one swing of his almighty sword.. and they can even do like energy blasts --;

2. The 18 Dragon's Palm.. Exactly.. How does it look like..and work?

-In the LOCH 1983, it looks like a powerful palm attack..
    -In the 199something DGSD.. it looked like Kiu Fung's attack has a golden dragon coming out of him o_O

..And in the beginning of that DGSD..Kiu Fung took out a beer during attempt to kill the emporer? and did a POWERFUL 18 dragon's palm attack that blasted a whole cliff apart with little golden dragons

3. Why does TVB edit out the VCDs... I miss some parts that I loved..

4. Is there soundtracks I can buy of these series...

5. Am I annoying or breaking any forum rules?
    Hi, scypEr. Wacky will attempt to answer your queries then.

===============================

1.The Twin of Brothers (TOB) is a stupid show whereby TVB producers attempt to create "SUPER HEROES", just like in Lofty Waters Verdant Bow(LWVB). Raymond Lam in LWVB is a super hero who can swept apart everyone with his sleeves. There's no real physical fighting scenes involved. That's amateurish and childish compared to Louis Chia (Jin Yong) novel-based productions. I don’t think TOB or LWVB has got anything to do with Louis Chia.

2. The 18 Dragon Palm as described by Louis Chia is supposed to be an “Yang”-based set of fist stances. It is not suitable for female fighters because the basic step involves spreading the executer’s legs apart to summon the energy. Newer versions of 18 Dragon Palm (02’ China production of LOCH and 03’ HSDS) describe the last few stances (the most powerful) as an outburst of energy (qi) in the shape of a golden dragon with multiple palms in the form of energy bursting out to injure or kill the opponent.

Kiu Fung is arguably the best-talented fighter in Louis Chia novels and I believe his 18 Dragon Palms had more than 18 stances; when he died, some of the stances were lost. Kiu Fung’s martial arts works best when he is in a drunken or enraged mood.

3.TVB is CHEAPSKATE. That’s all.

4. I’m not too sure but you could try the online store at yesasia.com

5.No, you are not annoying. I don’t think you are breaking any forum rules.

LoL..

Thanks.
    I'm going to have wayy more questions in my future weeks here --; Like..super newbie questions like what's qi XD

I like wuxia novels and I want to write my own.. Unfortunately:

1. Knows nothing about Asia history OR geography (Born and raised in California, USA)
    2. Don't know much about "Noi Gung" (I'm cantonese.. So eveything I try to write is like..Cantonese-ish o.O)
    3. Basically.. I'm a newb at wuxia --; ..I'm 14 too XD

Yeah..Thanks Watchwacky

I recommend reading up on as many old threads as interest you that we've got stored up. You might find that many of the things you've been wondering about have been addressed already.

I'm worried that some of the old threads for wuxia discussions might be deleted when rhey reach cut-off dates (if any). Or scypEr, you could try here:

SPCNET Reading Rooms

BTW, you can read translations here too. Noodle's ROCH translations have got more than 200,000 hits.

Wuxia Translations

I'll give it a shot.

1. Haven't seen this series. There is realy no set 'limit' for how powerful a person can be. The wuxia world is really just a setting, like fantasy.

2. I thought the palms were called 'Dragon SUBDUING Palms'. Meaning, they have the power to subdue 'dragons'. As I recall, there was really never a mention of the palm blasts looking like flying dragons, that's just what TV companies make it look like that for 'WOW' factor. The 'chi' released by a palm strike should be invisible to the eye. So yeh, it's invisible DGSD 04 did quite well with the 'wavy' effect.

Kiu Fung’s dragon palms were originally 28. His martial arts were NOT lost though. They were refined into 18 moves. I think Northern Beggar modified them a bit to.

3. what Watchwacky said

4. yes

5 Ofcourse not. Forums are meant for discussion and information. A couple of our members are working on a Wuxia encyclopedia which should be finished soon. Should be useful.

EDIT: Your right Yang Guo, I meant Northern Beggar. Eastern is HYS right?
    Last edited by JigSta; 01-12-05 at 11:18 PM.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Fei Lung Cho Tien "Flying Dragon Soars The Heavens"
    Man Fat Til Chung "Buddha Faces East"

Did these moves originated from the novels? If so, is there a story behind them?

Twin of Brother was not (compleltely) created by TVB. It was an adaption of a martial arts novel written by... not Jin Yong... forgot who, so don't give TVB credit... they just ruined another story :P

I think you meant Northern Beggar right jig?

Actually, I forgot to add something earlier. Don't watch TVB productions of JY's novels because they don't use enough part-time actors for the big war scenes involving thousands of soldiers because THEY ARE CHEAPSTAKE. They also don't use convincing supporting casts and only focus on getting newbies actors they wanted to promote to act (think LWVB and TOB).

Mainland productions on the other hand, place greater emphasis on the quality and quantity of actors and actresses used, regardless of whether they are part-timers or main casts. Mainland productions also tend to stick more to the original scripts by JY.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Guo
    Twin of Brother was not (compleltely) created by TVB. It was an adaption of a martial arts novel written by... not Jin Yong... forgot who, so don't give TVB credit... they just ruined another story :P

I think you meant Northern Beggar right jig?
    Was it Gu Long?
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

'Twin of Brothers' was written by Huang Yi.
    'Lofty Waters Verdant Bow' was written by Liang Yusheng.

I heard that TVB butchered these 2 stories until they are completely unrecognisable from the original novels.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    'Twin of Brothers' was written by Huang Yi.
    'Lofty Waters Verdant Bow' was written by Liang Yusheng.

I heard that TVB butchered these 2 stories until they are completely unrecognisable from the original novels.
    Don't know about LWVB, but ToB was completely ruined.

What was the technique for Cheung Mo Kei's red flying daggers in The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber '00 called?

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    What was the technique for Cheung Mo Kei's red flying daggers in The Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber '00 called?
    I thought Cheung doesn't use daggers. He doesn't even use swords because he had the [Qian Kun Reversal] and the [9 Solar Stance] techniques. Weapons would be more of a hindrance to him. At the Snake Island, he did use the Dragon Sabre to defend against the Persian Ming Sect's [Scared Fire Tablets] which resemble red daggers.

In that series he hid them in his back pocket but he stopped using them once he found out that the daggers were evil and were trying to possess him.

In that series he hid them in his back pocket but he stopped using them once he found out that the daggers were evil and were trying to possess him.
    That's no dagger!. That's the Persian Ming Cult Holy Fire Tablet.

And the evil part refers to the martial arts that have origins in the Hassassins' (i.e. the clan famous for using drugs and invention assassinations)

How does a person transfer poison through the strike of the palm?

How does a person transfer poison through the strike of the palm?
    One way would be that they immerse their hand into poisons and would transfer that poison on contact with other people.

Another way that i could envision would probably be that that the person is immune to a specific poison after repeated doses, and that poison is in his skin, blood or other bodily fluid. Again, poison would be transfered on contact.

Both the above methods seems primitive, I can imagine another method is that poison is stored in a box or depot position within the body, and is transfer ala Xi Xing Da Fa only upon use.

I wonder if experts on OYF's poison methods and also DCC's derivative of Xiao Yao poison would like to comment. pls.

You guys have been helpful.

How does OYF's toad style gong fu works?

Mount Olympus, sipping nectar and eating ambrosia

You guys have been helpful.

How does OYF's toad style gong fu works?
    According to the third revised version of the novel, the toad stance (Ha Ma gong) is a type of internal energy accumulation techinque + attack form. Toads are said to rest in soil for a long period of time, gathering energy and when it surfaces it doesn't need to eat a lot. The toad stance of Ouyang Feng has the same principle it gathers energy and stores the energy inside the body of the practitioner. During battle, the practitioner will release the stored up energy, resulting in an enormous blast which even people with the same level of internal energy would not dare to take such a blast head on.
    But when Wang Chongyang used his Yiyang Finger to hit Ouyang Feng between his eyebrows, Central Divinity dispersed Ouyang's stored up energy. As result Ouyang Feng was heavily injured and had to use at least 5 years time to recover.
    So huge, so hopeless, to conceive
    As these that twice befell
    Parting is all we know of heaven
    And all we need of hell.

Emily Dickinson (1830-1886)