Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst Villian Ever

Default Worst Villian Ever

Has to be Kenneth Tsang Kwong in The Final Verdict

Unlike people like Nick Cheung og Gallen Lo who at least has some redeeming features and is also a bit remorseful at the end, this fellow is evil to the core and unrepentent till the end

On his death bed in prison,he actually told Adam Cheng that he did not regret what he did at all and even though he is in jail and dying,at least he had 15 years of wealth and power while Cheng ,who he framed for murder after bribing the whole police force,had nothing.

btw his crime - he slaughtered his uncle,aunt,cousin & his wife & child and a neighbour with a meat cleaver thus inheriting his uncle's fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnnkl

Unlike people like Nick Cheung og Gallen Lo who at least has some redeeming features and is also a bit remorseful at the end, this fellow is evil to the core and unrepentent till the end

On his death bed in prison,he actually told Adam Cheng that he did not regret what he did at all and even though he is in jail and dying,at least he had 15 years of wealth and power while Cheng ,who he framed for murder after bribing the whole police force,had nothing.

btw his crime - he slaughtered his uncle,aunt,cousin & his wife & child and a neighbour with a meat cleaver thus inheriting his uncle's fortune.
    I think the biggest villian gotta be Adam Cheng's character (Ding Hai) from The Greed of Man. This guy has no redeeming factors whatsoever. Nothing at all! Everything about him is evil - self-conceited, ruthless and unrepentent even till the end. Grrrrr... I still hate that character to the core until now...

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."

Kenneth Tsang Kwong in Flying Fox in Snowy Mountain - Compare him with Eddie Cheung... Eddie was much better.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Nick Cheung Kar Fai in Secret of the Heart...

Gallen Lo in Vengeance...in Cold Blood warm Heart...He was eeeevvviLLL to the core..l (Love Gallen )
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

I actually find villains like Kenneth Tsang Kwong in The Final Verdict and Ding Hai (Adam Cheng) of Greed Of Man to be great villains. You might hate them for their evilness but that's what villains are for. Another favourite villain of mine is Cheung Seng (Chan Hung Lit) from Blade Heart. Such an intelligent, evil to the core villain who has zero conscience.

Bad villains in my opinion are the stupid, incompetant villains whose plans always failed or those villains who have illogical motivation.

The worst villain I can think of currently is Sum Yat Lai (Gilbert Lam) of King Of Yesterday and Tomorrow. Firstly, the way he suddenly turn 180 bad is illogical. I can't accept the reasoning that he has been like that since the beginning and only pretending to be nice, because he was being nice and considerate even when there's no one around to see and there's nothing for him to gain. He was even relunctant to report his eldest brother when Dai Ha (Kwong Wa) urge him to. Secondly, all his plans either failed miserably or get discovered by Dai Ha very soon.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-01-05 at 02:38 AM.

True... Didn't expect Frankie to turn bad.. Haven't seen most of the villains u've listed..
    what about Louis Koo and Sunny Chan in At The Threshold of An Era? Louis did repent in the end.. does that make them good?.. hehe... sorry if that doesn't make sense.. It's just that some of the villains, if not almost, repent and turn good in the end..
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

The other bad villian is Wilson Lam in the Key Man.....he was so convincing that the Hk aunties were screaming abuse at him in the streets.

The way he was bullying the Dicky Cheung character is really evil and sadistic.

The way he was bullying the Dicky Cheung character is really evil and sadistic.
    What did he do?

The best actor for villian I saw would be Deric Wan. I think he's got great potential for evilness...........he only had 2 TVB drama as a villian (one with Felix Wong in the 80s & Breaking point with Leon Lai in the 90s) but everyone seems to remember him as the ultimate bad guy when mentioned his name..........regardless how many good guys he do.

I can't wait to see his newest TVB drama as a villian with Bowie Lam.

my vote also goes to Deric Wan in 'looking back in anger' , i have seen this show recently and he does a very good job as a villain.
    shin chan

Quote Originally Posted by pepper
    The best actor for villian I saw would be Deric Wan. I think he's got great potential for evilness...........he only had 2 TVB drama as a villian (one with Felix Wong in the 80s & Breaking point with Leon Lai in the 90s) but everyone seems to remember him as the ultimate bad guy when mentioned his name..........regardless how many good guys he do.
    No doubt Deric Wan did a good job as villains in these 2 shows, but I think he is memorable mostly because of the popularity 'Looking Back In Anger' and the fact that his fame rise from his potrayal of Ding You Hong. Many people who has watched the series still remember this series as the ultimate best series even after 16 years. Just like Felix's potrayal of Guo Jing wasn't any better than his potrayal of other roles. But, everyone still seems to remember him as the ultimated Guo Jing. It's like Felix Wong = Guo Jing. That is because Felix rised to fame with this role. Without 'Looking Back In Anger' and with just 'Breaking Point', I don't think Deric Wan will be that well remembered as the ultimate villain.

Quote Originally Posted by chupah
    my vote also goes to Deric Wan in 'looking back in anger' , i have seen this show recently and he does a very good job as a villain.
    Then he should be 'Best Villain' not 'Worst Villain'.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-03-05 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeL_oF_Death
    True... Didn't expect Frankie to turn bad.. Haven't seen most of the villains u've listed..
    what about Louis Koo and Sunny Chan in At The Threshold of An Era? Louis did repent in the end.. does that make them good?.. hehe... sorry if that doesn't make sense.. It's just that some of the villains, if not almost, repent and turn good in the end..

First of all, I think this is a very good thread.

Personally, I really liked Louis Koo's villain character.... the one where he mistakenly THINKS that he's a good guy for trying to destroy Gallen for revenge of his dead brother (Sunny). People might think that this is a ridiculous situation... but I think the interesting part was when Louis planned so much for revenge, that it totally consumed his life, changed his personality, made him abuse and lose his wife (Ada) and just made him go "crazy" evil (almost killing his own dad). Then, when he found out that it was all a misunderstanding, he realizes that his life has been destroyed and he has nothing left. I thought he was one of the most interesting villains that TVB has created in the last 5 years. You can contrast this to Raymond Lam in Golden Faith- where the premise is similar in that he also becomes a bad guy because of a series of misunderstandings (he thought Gallen wanted to kill him and take all the money for himself). However, Raymond's character "Oscar" looked rather weak.... he was frequently manipulated by his uncle, indecisive, and couldn't plan things well. He just didn't seem as ruthless as Louis's villain, and in the end when he learns that everything was a misunderstanding, he gets everyone's pity, turns "good", serves his jail term, and presumably will get all his money back when he comes out. That was a stupid villain, I must say.

Enough rambling, I guess.

I think TVB has really been lacking in interesting villains in recent years. Noone really stands out. The ones that people have mentioned, or will tell you if you did a random poll out in the streets of HK, were all from the late 80s or 90s (Deric Wan, Gallen Lo, Adam Cheng etc).

Thumbs up

The thread title is misleading. Do you mean the most "evil" villian? If so, here are mine :

Adam Cheng (Greed of Man)
    Deric Wan (Looking Back in Anger)

i concur... i don't know Kenneth Tsang Kwong or The Final Verdict. but i'm sick and tired of the prototypical tv bad guy who are so evil to the core that it boggles the mind. it makes them into unrealistic cartoonish characters.

i prefer bad guys who are not so 1 dimensional, and with some redeeming qualities which make them more human. i reckon it makes them more successful as a believable character this way. i mean, even hitler has a soft side.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    The worst villain I can think of currently is Sum Yat Lai (Gilbert Lam) of King Of Yesterday and Tomorrow. Firstly, the way he suddenly turn 180 bad is illogical. I can't accept the reasoning that he has been like that since the beginning and only pretending to be nice, because he was being nice and considerate even when there's no one around to see and there's nothing for him to gain. He was even relunctant to report his eldest brother when Dai Ha (Kwong Wa) urge him to. Secondly, all his plans either failed miserably or get discovered by Dai Ha very soon.
    Oh yeah, Cen Re Li. his change was indeed too dramatic. but i think the reason was due to his overeagerness to achieve business success that caused his unpleasant side to surface and led to his downfall. (and insanity, which was a tad hard to accept). i agree though, that there is much room for improvement in terms of character development.

having said that, i actually know someone quite similar to Cen Re Li, although her personality change is more gradual. i don't think she was being a hypocrite before or was actively hiding her nasty side from us. but a series of incidents revealed the ugly nature that she may or may not have realize she possessed in herself previously.

or maybe i just don't know her that well.

Quote Originally Posted by c13:4567
    i concur... i don't know Kenneth Tsang Kwong or The Final Verdict. but i'm sick and tired of the prototypical tv bad guy who are so evil to the core that it boggles the mind. it makes them into unrealistic cartoonish characters.
    Yes, Kenneth Tsang's character was very evil and was unrepentant until the end. But he did not do bad things for bad things sake. So, he is not really a cartoonish character. He is a selfish person who lacks conscience and has self preservation as his highest priority. But he does not go 'that guy steal my girlfriend, so, I'll turn all evil and make his life difficult'. When he killed that whole family, he was having temporary insanity. The matriarch of that family really treated him and his son very badly until one day he cannot hold back his pent-up anger anymore and went beserk and killed the whole family with a butcher knife. I'm convince he has temporary insanity because he even tried to kill his own son. Fortunately, he woke up in time when his son pleaded with him for dear life and keep reminding him that he is his son. After that he framed Adam Cheng's character for the massacre for self-preservation. I don't remember all the plotline, but I think he also do bad things to get rich and powerful.

Evil to the core character who has a strong reason to be evil can be a very interesting villain to watch too.

Btw, I do not know what version of SOH lynnnkl watch, but IIRC, Nick Cheung's character did not repent until the end either. Even only brink of death, he still want to get back at his brother. Doesn't seem even the tiniest bit remorseful to me.
    Last edited by kidd; 02-07-05 at 05:13 AM.

Currently watching the rerun of Cold Blood Warm heart.. Gallen's character Chui Kar Lap is pure evil.. He killed his own father in-law! And to me the most evil villains are the ones that doesn't believe what they are doing are wrong. That it wasn't their fault.. They were pushed by circumstances.. blame it all on everyone but themselves..
    HaRDCoRe MaN UtD Fan!!!

The villian with zero conscience and no redeeming factors should be Sonija's Princess Chiu Yan from PITNOL, but her acting was crap. However, the character was evil to the core and didn't even repent, and she could make you die for the littlest of reason.

But in terms of best acting of a villian who written to be very developed, I would recommend Deric Wan for LBIA (but at least he repented), or Lawrence Ng in Feud of Two Brothers.

I don't really see Ding Hai as a villian, because he seemed delusional about what was right and what was wrong. He's got low IQ, a rash personality and easily mistakes other people actions without looking any deeper. He's still got a conscience, like when his son, Lawrence made him agitate Carol on the stand, at least he hesitated, and repented afterwards. He's just got a false sense of heroism.

For Luk Kwok Wing in the Final Verdict, I agree with kidd. At first, he was actually pretty nice, but just proud because he lost everything (his wife + money + job) in one night due to the war, and he can't accept going into lower standards. His auntie treats him like crap and hits his son.

His insanity probably arose when his auntie pushed him to the limit which reminded him of the harshness of war. He thought he was in war when he killed his whole family. When he actually woke up form his son's pleading, he actually repented and cried when he found out. It was only fear for himself and his son that he tried to run. At first, he didn't want to frame Adam, but it was Kwok Fung who forced him to do it.

However, after that event, he realised that money was everything and he changed for the worse, and started becoming heartless. He began to do despicable things, as only that way, would he be able to get anywhere in society. In the later stages, his only redemming factor was probably his love for his son.

Actually, I think that Kwok Fung's Shum Bo is way worse a person that Kenneth's Luk Kwok Wing. Shum Bo got the girl, but still framed Adam even after Adam agreed to give up[ Rebecca. Later on, he tried to get the kids just to make Rebecca feel happy, but when her back was turned, he beat up her six-year old son, Gregory Lee, and sent her daughter overseas and allowed her to turn bad without any concern for her. He also poisoned her against her own father, and Adam humiliated and hurt.

Not only did he not repent, he also treats normal people like crap. And he is stupid too.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Wow, charbydis. You sure have a very good memory. I have totally forgotten the role of Kwok Fung's character in the framing for Adam's character. Now, I remember more of the details liao.

I agree that Princess Chiu Yan is a great contender for worst villain. Her reason for becoming a villain is so weak. Princess Chiu Yan is the perfect example of "bad guy who are so evil to the core that it boggles the mind".

actually IMO 'The Final Verdict" is a very underrated series and should be at least on par with "Looking Back In Anger " which everyone is raving about'

There are i thing 2 reasons for this : firstly,the negative response it received from the Royal HK Police ,which wanted TVB to stop showing the series because it potrayed them as corrupt,but which i believe is rampant during the 60's and early 70's before ICAC.

Secondly,none of the leads with the exception of Adam Cheng is well known,Gallen Lo and Roger Kwok were newbies back then.

The plot is good,acting solid from Adam to Roger Kwok as his simple son to Wu Fung as the stuttering lawyer who finally managed to convict Kenneth Tsang and win justice.

The only negative is the two actresses,Adam Cheng's girlfreind and daughter,are not pretty at all.