Page 3 of 469 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Return of the Condor Heroes 2006 《神雕侠侣》 - Huang Xiaoming, Liu Yifei

Kikyo
    Unregistered

Ah LYT has a more calculating gaze, while LYF has innocence. Although I had my reservations about LYF as XLN, now that I look at her images, she looks pretty suitable to me. Her costume is elegant and effective in giving LYF this fairy-like, ethereal presence. The long sleeves and flowing train unmistakably attempts to make LYF look taller and more imposing than she actually is. She looks natural in her sword stance and can hold a pretty emotive expression (image before the one where she has a sword over shoulder, with hand on hip...very sad and sweet). Everybody has only praises for Idy Chan's XLN, and yet some of her previous series were not so crash hot....so, even if LYF didn't do too well as Huang Yu Yin (as if anybody could portray a vase-character impressively), I think she deserves a chance.

HXM's image as YG looks like a big gruff bear. His overly large sword looks like Zhou Zhi Zhou's sword from the Kenshin anime.

Also, does ZZJ's stylization of XLN and YG look very much like attempted imitations of the RPG renditions? I don't say anime styles, because the anime graphics of ROCH were appalling. The RPG graphics on the other hand (graphics from wallpaper of 1st post) are breathtaking...totally capturing the beauty and timelessness of the couple. I happened past a Chinese newsagency and literally froze in appreciative wonder at the artistic beauty of ROCH RPG images of XLN and YG...geez those artists should get an invitation to study art in France. The way they draw YG makes him look so gorgeous (and I don't use that description lightly for many males). There's so much depth and emotion conveyed from the couple drawings too...if it was his intention, it was certainly wise of ZZJ to try and imitate even the essence of RPG style.

And as usual, ZZJ's windswept scenic shots are beautiful and evocative.

Is it just me or does LYF look like she's straining her eyes from the sun in every picture? It's like she can't open them up or something....and I don't know why, but I kinda want to pinch her cheeks, she looks more like a cute little kid than XLN lol.

is it me or one of the picture for this series is a bit off. Didnt his left arm got cut off instead of his right arm as show in the earlier picture on page one where he is holding the big sword using his left arm?
    Anyone have any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Binhie
    is it me or one of the picture for this series is a bit off. Didnt his left arm got cut off instead of his right arm as show in the earlier picture on page one where he is holding the big sword using his left arm?
    Anyone have any idea?
    Unfortunately, all other previous adaptations were incorrect.

This new adaptation will be the ONLY adaptation that's loyal to the novel. In the novel, his right arm was cut off by Guo Fu and thus, he has to use his left arm to practice the heavy iron sword.

I guess the reason I preferred Liu Yi Fei's XLN is because among all the past leads, she looks nearest to 18...the rest somehow don't look that youthful...thus, she's more fresh and convincing even if she has chubby cheeks and looks like a little girl sometimes. I think she looks beautiful in all the shots.

Kikyo
    Unregistered

I started an "is it me" trend there did I

This new adaptation will be the ONLY adaptation that's loyal to the novel. In the novel, his right arm was cut off by Guo Fu and thus, he has to use his left arm to practice the heavy iron sword.
    Poor HXM, unless he is left-handed or ambidextrous, he'll have to train with a limb he isnot used to using.

I guess the reason I preferred Liu Yi Fei's XLN is because among all the past leads, she looks nearest to 18
    See that's the misunderstanding with the objection to LYF as XLN. There have been so many adaptations that have used older women to play XLN (compared to her actual appearance/age in the novel that is), that when we have an approprate aged actress like LYF to play the role, our pre-conditioned perspectives go awry. It's a case of 'Xian Yi Wei Zhu' (basically 'first in is the best'). I for one am looking forward to the series. I haven't been able to read the ROCH novel, so I wont be comparing against anything. If ZZJ is going to be faithful to the novel, more so than previous adaptations, then this new version of ROCH will present with new elements for me. Can't wait....

About that image that everyone is wondering about, the "What is YG doing?" one, I don't think YG is about to release XLN's pressure points. His fingers are at a wrong angle...he is extending a vertically cupped hand towards XLN's chin, meaning the back of his hand/fingers is facing XLN's pressure points. One would think you'd strike the pressure point with fingertips, not with the surface of your nails. Plus XLN is smiling. What would be so amusing about have your student release your pressure points?

IMO, it looks like YG is about to lift XLN's chin up for a kiss. You can sort of see it in YG's serious gaze. On the other hand, XLN looks like she's totally unawares. Definitely judge it to be a romantic promotional shot. All advertisment and little likelihood of being in the actual series...though people can correct me wrong when it is released

Kikyo
    Unregistered

Back again! Forgot to add,

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYBODY! GONG XI FA CAI!

Hope many interesting and entertaining series are released this year so that we may be conflicted about watching series or doing homework...just kidding

I'm actually all for LYF as XLN. Right age and demeanor. Carmen looks a bit too seasoned to me to be honest - I didn't think she looked innocent at all. Idy Chan was too old, though I still like hers the best. Will see if I change my opinion when the new one comes out.

That just leaves one problem - HXM is too old for YG.

I don't think LYF is the right age for XLN at all. First of all, XLN is supposed to be older than YG. Huang Xiao Ming is 27-28 years old, so he isn't too old for YG. At least he doesn't look too old in my opinion. Idy was only 22-23 when she played XLN so she was not too old. Carmen was around the same age when she played XLN as well, so that LYF is too young in my opinion. I also don't know if her acting will be good enough, but lets see... Her looks are also too typical to me. I agree that she is pretty, but so what?? There are many pretty actresses these days. I don't think she has something that really stands out from other actresses.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

Kikyo
    Unregistered

I don't think LYF is the right age for XLN at all. First of all, XLN is supposed to be older than YG. Huang Xiao Ming is 27-28 years old, so he isn't too old for YG. At least he doesn't look too old in my opinion. Idy was only 22-23 when she played XLN so she was not too old. Carmen was around the same age when she played XLN as well, so that LYF is too young in my opinion. I also don't know if her acting will be good enough, but lets see... Her looks are also too typical to me. I agree that she is pretty, but so what?? There are many pretty actresses these days. I don't think she has something that really stands out from other actresses.
    It's not a matter of what the actual age of the actresses were, it's more to do with them being able to 'look 18'. I read somewhere...and I'm dying to confirm it myself when I get my hands on the ROCH novel...that XLN maintained a youthful look of an 18 year old even when she had aged beyond that year. Even though LYF looks undeniably young, she's as close to 18 as you can get. Both Idy and Carmen looked no where near 18. Carmen looks like a 30 year old to me everytime I see her on the screen.

I'm saying we should give LYF a chance. I too do not believe that pretty looks automatically translate to brilliant acting. But, I am willing to reserve judgement, because as everyone who has seen 83's ROCH, Idy Chan gave a one in a million performance. And yet, I've seen her as supporting actress in some other period dramas and as Huang Yu Yin in TLBB...frankly, her performances were only average, if that. If Idy Chan can rise from a mediocre to brilliant standard, I would believe it to be possible for any other hardworking actress who are willing to improve. So far, Athena Chu Yan and Fan Bing Bing have both been actresses who I believe have began from average and now reached off scale brilliance. We just have to see if LYF has it in her to be such an actress.
    Last edited by Kikyo; 02-09-05 at 08:46 AM.

I, for one, don't understand all the negative things being said about liu yifei in this forum and the chinese forums. Maybe coz i'm a guy and liu seems less popular with the females.

Admittedly, she is not the out-of-this-world beauty that matches the description of xiao long nu by jin yong, but who is anyway? that xiao long nu only exists in our imagination. Moreover, xiao long nu is not a complex character to play. So while liu's acting skills may be raw, its not a big hindrance.

In my book, she gets a big plus becoz she is really in her teens and looks her age too. I have to say, I'm sick and tired of watching actors in their 20s playing characters who should be teens, or 30 year olds playing 20 year olds or teens, and so on.
    I'm more irritated, particularly when this happens in jin yong adaptations.

In the novel, xiao long nu, when she first met yang guo, had already passed her 18th birthday but she looked to be 16/17 years old. Even when she was 20, she still could pass for 16/17.

I loved chen yu lian's portrayal of xiao long nu but she appeared too mature if judging from the novel's perspective, although her acting makes up for it. andy lau's roch is the only version i watched and remains my favourite wuxia tv series but I am anxiously looking forward to this version.

now, if only they have a 14/15 year old play wei xiaobao. that'll be awesome.

Last edited by c13:4567; 02-09-05 at 11:37 AM.

Well basically, it all comes down to our personal opinions.... I admit that I like Athena Chu and fan bing Bing, but I still don't think they have reached the "off scale brilliance" yet. But they are getting better and better.

I do agree that we should give LYF a chance, but I still don't feel that she truly fits the physical characteristics of XLN as much as Idy and Carmen did. It is true that no one can be as beautiful as the XLN in the novel since that is only something in our imagination.
    Respect other people's opinions and views. If we learn how to do that than all of these fights and arguments will not occur.

maybe LYF looks young in the picture, and her actual age makes her younger

but its only still pictures, we shld make any real judgement after the actual series airs

at first i was really disappointed when liu yifei was casted as xln, i was hoping for gao yuanyuan to get the role cause i think she has tat icy beauty of xln. however, judging frm the pics, i think lyf kinda fits the img of xln...she may not have the drop dead beauty of xln but the very beautiful though somewad fanciful costumes and hair makes up for it. she looks pretty elegant and sophisticated in her costumes.

carmen lee is still my fave xln cause she possess that cool, reserved and aloof aura, and shes really an ancient beauty who looks beautiful without any gorgeous costumes or fanciful hair. she manages those icy, emotionless and somewad blank and naive stares very well too. lyf looks somewad too cute, friendly and warm but i have to agree she has tat youthful look to convince the audience that xln's merely 18. cant wait to see how she fares in her acting, hope its good!

anyway does anyone know where they did the filming..like which part of china cause the scenaries are really awesome!
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysnow
    anyway does anyone know where they did the filming..like which part of china cause the scenaries are really awesome!
    many places, zhejiang, jiu sai gou, hei long jiang

Default Li Muo Chou

Slightly off topic here (since all that everyone's been talking about lately is Liu Yi Fei as XLN), just curious what everyone thinks of the new Li Muo Chou. How was she described in the novel (ie what color outfit did she wear, etc..). I know that Li Muo Chou was supposed to be very beautiful, but for some reason, this LMC looks very scary to me. She looks like a "yao gwai" (demon). Her hairstyle also looks odd to me.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/v/m/2005-01-20/U487P28T3D636332F326DT20050120224113.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/v/m/2005-01-20/U487P28T3D636332F329DT20050120224113.jpg')

Default Cheng Ying

And here is the new "Cheng Ying" (the cousin of Lu Wu Shuang and also became a disciple of Huang Yao Shi early on in ROCH). I think she's kinda' cute.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/v/m/2005-02-04/U638P28T3D649040F358DT20050204232646.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://image2.sina.com.cn/ent/v/m/2005-02-04/U638P28T3D649040F329DT20050204232646.jpg')

Kikyo
    Unregistered

Yes, we have sort of exhausted the LYF/XLN topic.

Hey, nice pics there NarutoSakura! Haven't seen them before. I did't know Li Mou Chou was supposed to look beautiful (she certainly was in YPP's version). She just looked old to me in TVB's 83' version. Agree that LMC in the current version looks kinda scary. Like her horse-whip (or 'Chen Bi'/'Old Brush') though; looks like a real weapon...unlike the YG's massive sword that can only pass for a fake replica of Sanosuke's sword.

That first pic of Cheng Ying shows her as a very pretty lady...second pic got her in a bad angle (not so pretty, even looks a bit old).

Where do you get all these new pics?

i agree tat li mou chou looks awful...old and ugly...y on earth does she have blue stuff on her hair..i think they try to hard to make her look evil and vicious such dat she turns out to b like an ugly old witch which should not b the case cause though she was vicious, she's described to b a very beautiful woman in the novel.

chen ying looks rather cute too but cant c properly since tats not a close up pic of her.

i think the prettiest actress would b the one who acts as guo fu. her costumes may not b as gorgeous as xln but she looks really sweet and pretty and im glad since guo fu was also described as very pretty in the novel.

i think the actress who acts as guo xiang looks really cute n sweet too... but i really dun like her costume..it looks really weird and messy. i loved theresa lee as guo xiang in the tvb95 version. she was simply adorable as gx and really fited the image of a sweet 16yr old though she was abt 24 or 25 when she acted as gx... she looked really charming and sweet in her simple yellow costume.
    Last edited by sunnysnow; 02-12-05 at 11:28 AM.
    There are no shortcuts to any place worth going.

Wise Fool

Banned

Hey sunnysnow, am sure you see the 95 version right? It is me or you, I still think the 95 version is better, this version look odd and weird, I guess people have different taste.
    ANd I still like Gigi Fu as kwok fu Theresa Lee better, Not too mention Maggie Cheung as Cheng Ying better then that girl.

and sunnysnow,u right, theresa is cute, this one right?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Question; 02-13-05 at 12:53 AM.