Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New ATV Drama TV Series released on VCDs Boxset

Quote Originally Posted by earth4477
    what was amy chan sau man's storyline character's role?
    which fatherland--radical city version?? or fatherland---pearl river version?
    did your mom purchase the released vcd boxset or she watched it long ago on vhs tape?
    I have no idea bout Amy Chan, but my mum says it was the actors (Ngok Wah and something Wing) in Fatherland- the pearl river version.

my mum watched it on telly years ago, before I was born.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    'The Burning Rain' is good. Anyone who wants to see Esther Kwan play a villain should watch this series. But she's not those true blue villain that is all out evil. She's more ambiguous type where some viewers will hate her, but others will sympathised with her.
    ATV's 1990's production of 'THE BURNING RAIN' is released on vcds boxsets for purchase. I watched many years ago on videotape rental and its overall good.
    Esther Kwan wing ho was much younger, prettier & cutier back then at ATV.
    Esther did a good job portraying her villain role naturally.
    her villain role at this atv series is different from her typical TVB roles at TVB series.
    If anyone wanted to watch her in a different role, I recommend this atv series.
    The themesong was GREAT sang by singer roman law (Lo,Man).

****There's an attachment of a poster cover of atv's 'the burning rain' if anyone its interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

To those interested, I have attached 2 picture attachments on this posting of
    ATV Poster cover of ATV's 1980's version of a historical costume drama tv series called 'EMPRESS WU ZE TIAN' starring petrina fung bo-bo (appeared much younger & prettier back then) as the leading actress---the historically ruling empress wu.

To those who might be interested in atv's ancient drama tv series, I have attached a past high rating atv drama of the 1980's productions based on the ancient first emperor called 'THE FIRST EMPEROR--QIN, SHI-HUANG' of its poster cover was its also released on vcds boxsets for purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by runechan
    No, I mean movie tycoon, starring Simon yam, Kwong wah, Jackie Lui., not that showbiz tycoon starring michael tao.

I have silver tycoon, starring felix wong, margie tsang, kwon wah etc. myself and in fact it's one of my favorite ATV series if you don't count the last 1/3 part of this series and the ending!

I think you mean the 3 attachments of atv poster covers of atv series right?
    please see my attachments of the 3 poster covers of atv series.
    1. movie tycoon
    2. silver tycoon
    3. showbiz tycoon

****All 3 are released on vcds boxsets for purchase.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1. movie tycoon
    2. silver tycoon
    3. showbiz tycoon

Yes I have silver tycoon, and I'm looking for the first one, the movie tycoon. Does it release? Could you tell me where to buy it coz I can't find it on yesasia.

Thanks.

To those interested, I have attached 2 picture attachments on this posting of
    ATV Poster cover of ATV's 1980's version of a historical costume drama tv series called 'EMPRESS WU ZE TIAN' starring petrina fung bo-bo (appeared much younger & prettier back then) as the leading actress---the historically ruling empress wu.
    I highly recommend this series as well. It's really good historical series. ATV can produce much better historical series than other production Fung bo bo was really great here. I watched it when I was really young and still like it.

Yes I have silver tycoon, and I'm looking for the first one, the movie tycoon. Does it release? Could you tell me where to buy it coz I can't find it on yesasia.

Thanks.

runechan,

I have NOT watch atv's 'THE MOVIE TYCOON'.
    I have watched the atv's 'THE SILVER TYCOON' years ago.
    I only get a chance to watch little bit of the beginning of atv's 'THE SHOWBIZ TYCOON'.

What is the difference between all 3 storylines?
    It seem all storylines is about the same, about early 1900's chinese or Hong Kong movie or cinema industry, entertainment circle, movie stars, directors, production studios.

I do not know where to find atv's 'the movie tycoon' since I didn't know it exist until you mentioned it. You can tried sending emails asking atv, asian or chinese video stores such as sensasian.com, malmusic.com, yesasia.com and etc.. to tried to request it from their video suppliers.

I highly recommend this series as well. It's really good historical series. ATV can produce much better historical series than other production Fung bo bo was really great here. I watched it when I was really young and still like it.

Its like not much people know this 1980's ATV's 'EMPRESS WU ZE TIAN' existed in the market. Many people seem to now about taiwan's version of empress wu ze tian since there are many postings under that thread under the 'taiwan' section of this forum.

I don't why people only watch taiwan's version but not the atv's version.
    Is the taiwan's version better than atv's version?
    How is it comparing both of them?

Many old ATV series are really good. Empress Wu and Secret battle of the majesty.
    Waiting for movie tycoon and a cruel lover. Anyone know when these series will come out?
    I wished 'cruel over' is released on vcds boxsets.
    I have not get a chance to watch this atv series.
    I am also a fan of atv series.
    I am glad I found this fan's (creator's) website which its why I wanted to share the information and search with other interested fans & viewers.

There are some pictures, review & poster cover of ATV's 1990's drama tv series 'THE CRUEL LOVER' at a website created by a fan of Erica Choi Hiu Yee (The leading actress in atv series--secret battle of the majesty) at

http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_r...ruellover.html

the starring casts included:joey meng yee man & kong Wah & Lam,Cho-Fai & etc.

Here is a poster & pictures taken from the above website.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_reviews/cruellover_poster.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_reviews/cruellover_smhtmm05.JPG')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_reviews/cruellover_ysh03b.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_reviews/cruellover_smhysh01b.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.geocities.com/sunflower_reviews/cruellover_fhycl02b.jpg')
    Last edited by earth4477; 04-02-05 at 01:30 AM.

Its like not much people know this 1980's ATV's 'EMPRESS WU ZE TIAN' existed in the market. Many people seem to now about taiwan's version of empress wu ze tian since there are many postings under that thread under the 'taiwan' section of this forum.

I don't why people only watch taiwan's version but not the atv's version.
    Is the taiwan's version better than atv's version?
    How is it comparing both of them?
    Exactly, most people are interested in Taiwanese Empress Wu. In my opinion, ATV version is much more better, much more accurate to real history than Taiwanese. Fong bo bo was really great as Empress Wu. I like Alyssia but she's not a great choice for Empress Wu. She lacks "powerful" look. You know she looked too childish , too cheerful, especially, at the beginning of the series. Empress Wu did know kung Fu in this version too! Well, I just can't believe it.

ATV did make many great historical series such as Empress Wu, Secret battles of the majesty, Princess Cheung Ping, heroic legend of the yang family and the great general ,etc. I think in 1980s till mid 1990s, many ATV series were really good. Some are even better than TVB series. Sadly, most people just concluded that ATV series are all bad. stereotype huh!

I like ATV historical, gambling, and some modern series. They have good casts, good storyline.

I wished 'cruel over' is released on vcds boxsets.
    I have not get a chance to watch this atv series.
    I am also a fan of atv series.
    I am glad I found this fan's (creator's) website which its why I wanted to share the information and search with other interested fans & viewers.
    A cruel lover is really good series. Very strong cast and good storyline. It's must-watch for Kwong wah's fan. He's so superb in this series. I daresay his roles in a cruel lover and secret battle of the majesty are the best in his career.

I like many KW's ATV modern series. Return to the truth is really good series as well, not too dragging and classic ending. Well, also I like "I have a date with spring" and wait for its VCD boxset. I highly recommend all viewers to give ATV a try. Sometimes ATV releases very good series, even better than TVB. For example, Heaven's retribution has very good storyline, same level as "Looking back into the anger", one of the best TVB series, and also very solid casts. Don't just turn it down only because it belongs to ATV. I saw one topic that many people are bashing ATV production and it made me so sad. You know, both ATV and TVB have good and bad series. Why don't you just give it a chance?

runechan,

I have NOT watch atv's 'THE MOVIE TYCOON'.
    I have watched the atv's 'THE SILVER TYCOON' years ago.
    I only get a chance to watch little bit of the beginning of atv's 'THE SHOWBIZ TYCOON'.

What is the difference between all 3 storylines?
    It seem all storylines is about the same, about early 1900's chinese or Hong Kong movie or cinema industry, entertainment circle, movie stars, directors, production studios.

I do not know where to find atv's 'the movie tycoon' since I didn't know it exist until you mentioned it. You can tried sending emails asking atv, asian or chinese video stores such as sensasian.com, malmusic.com, yesasia.com and etc.. to tried to request it from their video suppliers.
    Well, let's say I can't tolerate " The Showbiz tycoon" . It's too long, too draggy and well, the main character is sooooo saint. So I have no idea what is its storyline coz I just watched only very first episodeds (and it had like 70 episodes or something?).

The silver tycoon is about movie industry; however, it concentrated much more on revenge, human nature etc. The movie industry, movie stars were only its subplots. I think the main theme of this series is how Felix wong revenge Sunny Fang (is this his name? I'm not quite sure).

I've never watched "the movie tycoon" but I would like to, that's why I'm looking for its boxset. The casts look so promising!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I will send sensasian and yesasia email.

Well, let's say I can't tolerate " The Showbiz tycoon" . It's too long, too draggy and well, the main character is sooooo saint. So I have no idea what is its storyline coz I just watched only very first episodeds (and it had like 70 episodes or something?).

The silver tycoon is about movie industry; however, it concentrated much more on revenge, human nature etc. The movie industry, movie stars were only its subplots. I think the main theme of this series is how Felix wong revenge Sunny Fang (is this his name? I'm not quite sure).

I've never watched "the movie tycoon" but I would like to, that's why I'm looking for its boxset. The casts look so promising!

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. I will send sensasian and yesasia email.

you can send emails also to ATV (they have an official website), malmusic.com & other asian video stores too. I would like to know the results. can you post it here if they rely to your emails? thanks

A cruel lover is really good series. Very strong cast and good storyline. It's must-watch for Kwong wah's fan. He's so superb in this series. I daresay his roles in a cruel lover and secret battle of the majesty are the best in his career.

I like many KW's ATV modern series. Return to the truth is really good series as well, not too dragging and classic ending. Well, also I like "I have a date with spring" and wait for its VCD boxset. I highly recommend all viewers to give ATV a try. Sometimes ATV releases very good series, even better than TVB. For example, Heaven's retribution has very good storyline, same level as "Looking back into the anger", one of the best TVB series, and also very solid casts. Don't just turn it down only because it belongs to ATV. I saw one topic that many people are bashing ATV production and it made me so sad. You know, both ATV and TVB have good and bad series. Why don't you just give it a chance?

I don't think those people watch any good ATV drama tv series of the ones that are mentioned in this thread. Its too bad that much fewer people kn
    ow of and watch some good oldies productions of the 1980's & 1990's ATV drama series that was released on vcds boxsets. I think TVB is over-rated, TVB's recent drama tv series are NOT that good nowadays, they did have some good series productions back in the 1980's & 1990's but now MOST OF TVB'S RECENT DRAMA SERIES ARE NOT WORTH WATCHING. Its just their brand-name that sell. I have purchased both ATV & TVB drama series released on vcds boxsets.

****MOST OF TVB SERIES RELEASED ON VCDS BOXSETS ARE have many scenes DRASTICALLY CUTTED like a reduction of 50% to 75%. I think when consumer-viewers purchase tvb's vcds boxsets, they are NOT actually getting the complete version of the series because I know from watching the SAME tvb series on rental vhs video tapes and it was many video tapes long.

Back in the 1980's & 1990's one episode of tvb series are around 40 minutes long and there are about 3 to 4 episodes per tape. One vcd is able to contained 80 minutes so they are able to at least put between 1 to 2 episodes per vcd disc.
    TVB released the same series on 10-12 vcd boxset which means they DRASTICALLY CUTTED ALOT OF SCENES FROM THE SERIES. When I was watching the released tvb vcd boxset, I noticed alot of scenes are deleted because I compare it from watching TVB rental video tapes. The TVB vcds boxsets are EXPENSIVE AND THEY DON'T CONTAIN THE COMPLETE VERSION of the actual series which was very disappointing to me. To me it's not worth buying something that are expensive like tvb vcds boxsets and not getting your money's worth since its NOT the complete version. I would rather watch it on TVB rental video tapes.

****I have purchased some atv series released on vcds boxset and most of the time it is RELEASED ON VCD BOXSETS IN COMPLETE VERSION WITHOUT ANY CUTTED SCENES. I would rather buy atv vcds boxsets than TVB vcds boxsets since ATV released the complete version and get my money's worth.

1. movie tycoon
    2. silver tycoon
    3. showbiz tycoon

Thanks for the posters! For a moment, I was confused by all these "tycoon" series. I absolutely love Silver Tycoon and Margie Tsang Wah Sin. But, seriously, it is old I don't remember much anymore. Margie Tsang is still a deejay now and I listen to her programs sometimes. She is very sharp and a talented woman.

Wish ATV will renew its Golden Era of the 80s and 90s. Give TVB a good fight since the opponent is weak now.

I don't think those people watch any good ATV drama tv series of the ones that are mentioned in this thread. Its too bad that much fewer people kn
    ow of and watch some good oldies productions of the 1980's & 1990's ATV drama series that was released on vcds boxsets. I think TVB is over-rated, TVB's recent drama tv series are NOT that good nowadays, they did have some good series productions back in the 1980's & 1990's but now MOST OF TVB'S RECENT DRAMA SERIES ARE NOT WORTH WATCHING. Its just their brand-name that sell. I have purchased both ATV & TVB drama series released on vcds boxsets.

****MOST OF TVB SERIES RELEASED ON VCDS BOXSETS ARE have many scenes DRASTICALLY CUTTED like a reduction of 50% to 75%. I think when consumer-viewers purchase tvb's vcds boxsets, they are NOT actually getting the complete version of the series because I know from watching the SAME tvb series on rental vhs video tapes and it was many video tapes long.

Back in the 1980's & 1990's one episode of tvb series are around 40 minutes long and there are about 3 to 4 episodes per tape. One vcd is able to contained 80 minutes so they are able to at least put between 1 to 2 episodes per vcd disc.
    TVB released the same series on 10-12 vcd boxset which means they DRASTICALLY CUTTED ALOT OF SCENES FROM THE SERIES. When I was watching the released tvb vcd boxset, I noticed alot of scenes are deleted because I compare it from watching TVB rental video tapes. The TVB vcds boxsets are EXPENSIVE AND THEY DON'T CONTAIN THE COMPLETE VERSION of the actual series which was very disappointing to me. To me it's not worth buying something that are expensive like tvb vcds boxsets and not getting your money's worth since its NOT the complete version. I would rather watch it on TVB rental video tapes.

****I have purchased some atv series released on vcds boxset and most of the time it is RELEASED ON VCD BOXSETS IN COMPLETE VERSION WITHOUT ANY CUTTED SCENES. I would rather buy atv vcds boxsets than TVB vcds boxsets since ATV released the complete version and get my money's worth.
    ํYou know what. I'm also upset about this as well. I bought the bund, Return of the condor heroes, legend of condor heroes etc. and I can recognize bunch of cutted scenes eventhough I watched these series first time when I was very very young. (esp, the bund, I can't enjoy its VCD version. I enjoyed this series a lot when I was young but I just can't follow VCD version. It jumped from one scene to another without any sense.). I heard that it's because the masters are very old and was broken. That's why they need to edit/cut lots of scenes. Is it true??

Frankly, I felt that I was cheated when I bought the bund. TVB should, at least, inform customers that there are many deleted scene in thoses series and let us, customers, decide whether we still want to buy them or not.

And well, all ATV series I bought don't have any cutted scenes (or at least from my vague memory :P).

earth4477, maybe we should do some campaigns to persuade people to watch good old ATV series. ha! Its production/setting might be lousy sometimes but we can ignore those mistakes since we can enjoy good storylines and solid casts.

Anyway, honestly, I rarely watch ATV series nowdays. Even highly acclaimed series like my date with vampire or whatsoever, I still can't enjoy it like old ones. Same for TVB series. Nowadays, TVB lacks actors/actresses who can really act. (Well, some can but not many though.) Also, the storylines are quite poorly written. ( I heard that many talented scriptwriters left TVB coz poor salary?). Most are draggy. I always have one question in my mind. Why series nowadays must have 30 episodes when they can end at 20 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ginnie
    Thanks for the posters! For a moment, I was confused by all these "tycoon" series. I absolutely love Silver Tycoon and Margie Tsang Wah Sin. But, seriously, it is old I don't remember much anymore. Margie Tsang is still a deejay now and I listen to her programs sometimes. She is very sharp and a talented woman.

Wish ATV will renew its Golden Era of the 80s and 90s. Give TVB a good fight since the opponent is weak now.
    You know what, we can call "a cruel lover" as "The media tycoon" as well LOL. During 1990s, ATV luv to produce "tycoon" series.

The big problem is "the movie tycoon" vs "the silver tycoon". They even share simliar casts.
    In the silver tycoon, there are Felix, Margie, Sunny Fang, Kwong wah, Christine Ng, Jackie Lui, Nich cheung, Sunny Chan.
    In the movie tycoon, there are simon yam, Kent tong, Sunny Fang, Kwong wah, Christine Ng, Jackie Lui.

See, their main casts are so similar!

I agree, Margie is so cute in "The silver tycoon". I did pity her a lot. She's so sweet in this series and made such a cute couple with Felix. Sadly, Felix was evil in this one. He usually didn't play a villain role, rite? I can recall him in villain roles only in this series and the grand canal .

I wish ATV can gain some reputation back as well. Monopoly is such a bad thing. We, consumers, are worse off after all if we view only TVB production.

To those interested:

I have post new updates of pictures, poster covers of ATV drama series on the
    first posting of the first page of this thread and will be adding more later on, so
    keeping checking this thread and post any comments, suggestions & opinions on this thread of any atv series.

I have also added some pictures of atv series in some of the postings in this thread.

****I wish more good oldies atv drama tv series of the 1980's & 1990's productions release on vcds boxsets instead of recent new ATV tv drama series.

the following are released on vcds boxsets for purchase in some asian video on-line stores such as
    1. http://www.malmusic.com

they are the following:

1. My Date with the Vampire III (sequel)

2. atv's 1990's version of the Justice Bao (Judge Bao Qing Tian)---different crime solving stories-cases.

3. Dream of Desire II (sequel)

4. Gone with the Wind

5. Secret Battle of the Majesty