Thread: Magic of the movie?

Default Magic of the movie?

is it just me ...but in general, I find that I have less patience watching movies now because I do not enjoy them...like I am tempted to not finsih a movie because I do not enjoy it.....or are movies less entertaining now? There are the occasional good ones that I do enjoy but they are so rare for me increasingly.

I think i understand what u mean. Sometimes i think that certain scene has lesser impact although it used to have impact on our life.

Ex.
    The part Jackie Chan use to glide on a runaway bus in Police Story 1 and The new Police story.

Whenever I watch back Police Story 1, i alwayz looked for the scene, but i barely remember about it in the new Police story.

Others including certain Stephen Chow jokes. Although it is recycle but lack the magic anymore.

When you watch more movies, you are exposed more, thus making your expectations higher, and much harder to please. That's why it's more likely for kids to enjoy movies than adults, or why it's more likely for teeny boppers to love pop idols like Avril Lavigne and Britney than grownups.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    When you watch more movies, you are exposed more, thus making your expectations higher, and much harder to please. That's why it's more likely for kids to enjoy movies than adults, or why it's more likely for teeny boppers to love pop idols like Avril Lavigne and Britney than grownups.
    yeh I agree, I remember watching Dragon From Russia in 1990 IIRC, at that time I think its super-cool, recently I watch it again and its kinda lame....

it seems that most of you are talking about watching old reruns u used to love..that I can understand as well..but actually, I was referring more to new movies out on vcds or at the theatres etc...

As kids you enjoy movies more because you don't think too much about it. I bet the movies you loved most are the ones that make you laugh or the ones full of adventure and action....

As adults, you tend to analyse the film in your mind too much and relate it back to your own life or try to undertstand the meaning of them... You can instantly tell from your own perspective which stoies are good and which are bad...

Unfortunately directors these days seem to come up with a lot of lame stories... I have to look beyond the USA, and HK to find a good movie these days. But then again, my viewing is strictly limited to wuxia, histoical, fantasty, action, adventure, and sci-fi. I wouldn't pay for any other stuff unless I catch it on free TV...

I've made a few amatuer short films in my time, and they were all cool and fun when I made them. Now when I look back on them with 'critical adult eyes', I'm actually a little embarressed that I was the one who made them...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

I think it has to do with our expectation and experience we have gone thru. Although it probably has to do with the story itself, I mean some story are just lack of new aspects, recycle ideas, etc.

For example, wuxia stories are not far from revenge, defend your king/country, becoming the ultimate, etc.

For me if I want to see a movie, I try to know what my mood first. If I'm looking to get the thrill or excitement, I go to box office movies. If I feel I want to see 'Feel Good' movie, I go to chick flick with happy ending. In that way I feel less disappointed when the movie not turn as I espected. Complex isn't just to watch a movie/series?

just my 2cents.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

yah... I think either the jokes.dialgues or plots are unoriginal therefore we don;t find them funny or entertainining anymore. I mean they are largely the same. We know what to expect.

the movies nowadays doesn't leave a lasting impression like the ones from the 80's and 90's. i tend not to expect much now cause i'm not getting any. at least yet.

movies from the last 2 decades? now that's different. yes, there were not so good ones but there are ones you can watch over and over and over.
    ---------
    Shellie